The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 May 2020, 08:42 PM   #31
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I take a bunch of ketchup packets from my local pub when I go in there for a meal as I don't want to buy a bottle as I hardly use the stuff, just on a pork pie or Cornish pasty, in fact I was just saying yesterday that some packets have been in my drawer for so long the sauce has turned a dark sinister red but still tastes the same, the preservatives and chemicals in that surely can kill Corona too.
Ha, I end up squeezing every ounce of the packets I receive on a take out order into the ketchup bottle. Even the little salt packets are opened and emptied into the salt shaker.....no reason why I need to throw those out.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 10:20 PM   #32
77T

I didn't always have money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Many of us are not cradle rich, as they say in my country, but with a lot of work and effort I have achieved things I never imagined I would. A beautiful house, a sports car and of course some Rolex, but... I still have things that give away my not very wealthy past like continuing to travel with offers from airlines or looking for hotel deals...

...and you have something like that?
Like you, I believe we are all a combination of public achievement and private intricacies that make up our psyche.

Everything I have was the result of supportive parents who diligently led me and my siblings to better choices, dedicated efforts and continued guidance into adulthood. My ethics and knowledge, both work and personal, were formed and supported by teachers who never became wealthy but were rich in wisdom.

All that I have gained in material and intangible value, and in intellectual and physical strength is just a reflection of the larger forces those people invested in me.

This means you have always shown you’re authentic in your deep rooted connectivity to your history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #33
statsman
"TRF" Member

My grandparents were poor during the Depression. My grandfathers were sharecroppers (owned no land). For farmers, the Depression meant secondhand clothes and no luxuries, but they were always well fed. For sharecroppers, the Depression meant that food was an issue. Farmers’ families drank milk. Sharecropper families had clabber milk (sour, curdled milk). One grandfather rode trains from Texas to Oregon to pick fruit there (He couldn’t support a family picking fruit, but it was easier for friends and family to help my grandma, mom and aunts and uncles with him away working, than with him home not working).

My dad said that no matter how little we had, when a beggar came to the door asking for food, my Grandma would give some, after asking them to do some work in the yard. If she didn’t have much food, it might just be a slice of bread drug through some refried beans, but she would always give something.

So, I came to my tightwad ways honestly. Which leads to this piece of wisdom I was given once, applied to money (and watches)- “the secret to life is to love people and use things. The most common mistake is to get it the other way around”.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:00 AM   #34
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:20 AM   #35
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I hate waste and that includes money

I setup my own business at 14 and just worked and worked, sometimes for days at a time without changing out of my pants (underwear for you Americans) and dressing gown.

I had no agenda or plans of grandeur, I am just hyperactive and fidgety

The unintended results of chasing these challenges is a decent income.

I do have watches and this income has allows me access to certain things. But I still game-ify my expenditure.

How low can you go.

I have solar panels for electricity, for heating and an electric car. I use coupons at supermarkets and always shop around for deals. I use voucher and cash back sites and still beg and barter.

I live lean each month and that’s just the way I am.

We have a nice environment and my family is taken care of but my children always learn the lesson of hard work and they don’t just magically get what they want. I won’t ever change and I will always assume my months pay cheque could be my last.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 12:44 AM   #36
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Most wealthy people are cheap skates. That’s how they got there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #37
LawyerFlyfisher
Banned

“Money can either be the cruelest taskmaster or most willing servant.”

I didn’t have anything until two very corny but life changing books entered my life at the exact right time;

Dave Ramsey Money Makeover (attack your debt)
Think & Grow Rich (your attitude and efforts are all it takes)
LawyerFlyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 01:17 AM   #38
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

I'm far from "wealthy," I've just been very fortunate/blessed. This whole pandemic situation has made me even more grateful for the situation my family is in.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 04:49 PM   #39
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
I have always had a decent income right from leaving school but after reading the richest man in Babylon that definitely took me to the next level, now i dont have to wear rolex lol i can afford the good stuff
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 07:18 PM   #40
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I used to have money.

Then I got into watches.

I’ve never had money.

I’ve always had wives.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 07:26 PM   #41
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I have enough not to have to live paycheck to paycheck and I have no debt.

To me, that's a great place to be.

It really is that simple.

I come from a difficult background, we were certainly poor by today’s standards. But this was in the 80’s, everyone was poor!

I now live comfortably. I don’t have debt, and I have a couple of years salary in savings. And other cash tied up in assets such as watches.

We live a good life, but not the high life.

A friend who thinks I’m wealthy (not because I am, but relative to him I am) once asked what the best thing about having money is. The answer was simple...

...In 12 years of being together, my wife and I have only ever had one argument over money, and that was because I was being too tight to buy a light she wanted for the hallway!! And if you’re not arguing over money, there really isn’t anything else to argue about. So life is good.

But here’s the thing, I’m no wealthier now than I was when I was previously married. But we argued all the time about money. The reason, we lived to the max so were always stressed about debt etc.

So for me, it’s not about how wealthy you are, it’s about how comfortable you are. If you’re lucky enough to be in a position to live well and still very much within your means, you are very comfortable and life is very good.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 08:20 PM   #42
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

A very, very wealthy friend, had everything he wanted....everything.
He still insisted on buying 200 quids worth of UK lottery tickets....every week!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 08:27 PM   #43
THC

Watch: 16610M
Healthy is wealthy
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 09:03 PM   #44
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Healthy is wealthy
Great quote! Can’t argue at all with that.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2020, 11:16 PM   #45
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I came up in a middle class home but was always taught that nothing would be given to me, so I must work hard for what I have.
After college I worked in aftermarket automotive parts wholesale.
Up until 2008, it was the easiest work I ever did and the commissions were through the roof. Lets just say I took it for granted.
On a new vehicle, banks would give out 150-200% loans with 0 down and a 580 credit score so that people could make their truck look as extravagant as their brand new boat or put a supercharger on a brand new Corvette to park in front of their million dollar home that the just bought on a signature only.
I was way over my head in debt in order to live the lifestyle and keep up with my friends who were doing equally as well.
But in 2008, it all came crashing down when the housing bubble popped and 60% of my clients closed their doors, putting me out of business and instantly humbling me.
I have worked very hard since then. I live much more within my means now with no debt to my name other than living expenses. I dont make as much as I once did but without debt it pencils out much higher allowing me to purchase a few luxuries with cash.
Less stress now too.
Old 21 May 2020, 08:45 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Ha, I end up squeezing every ounce of the packets I receive on a take out order into the ketchup bottle. Even the little salt packets are opened and emptied into the salt shaker.....no reason why I need to throw those out.
Every little helps with the AP fund.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 08:54 AM   #47
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: Two Tone Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
At one point during med school. I had a baby and spouse, no baby food in the cupboard, and a total of 28 cents in checking, savings and cash to my name. I’ve never forgotten what that felt like.
I think it’s great to look back on these times although not great when you live it I remember leaving a job with a maxed out credit card no money at all even for a bus fair and the person that dropped me off from the job I was leaving dropped me in the centre of Glasgow 12 miles from my flat and I had to walk it vowing with every step I would never be in this position again,
slimboy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 09:01 AM   #48
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawyerFlyfisher View Post
“Money can either be the cruelest taskmaster or most willing servant.”

I didn’t have anything until two very corny but life changing books entered my life at the exact right time;

Dave Ramsey Money Makeover (attack your debt)
Think & Grow Rich (your attitude and efforts are all it takes)
I read think and grow rich and loved it really interesting and can highly recommend it
Old 21 May 2020, 09:47 AM   #49
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
My wife and I have assets but limited cash flow as we entered that semi-retiremen zone. We have a very nice primary home on six acres of land, two rental properties and a small timber farm nearing harvest time. We have good vehicles and the kids finished college debt free. I enjoy my Tudor Submariner, leather briefcase, nice sunglasses and way too many nice writing instruments. My wife has her "things" she likes. We are blessed.

Our most important asset is the love we share for each other from spouse to spouse then to kids and back all around. And we have our faith which is all important to us.
Old 21 May 2020, 09:29 PM   #50
slimboy1974
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
My wife and I have assets but limited cash flow as we entered that semi-retiremen zone. We have a very nice primary home on six acres of land, two rental properties and a small timber farm nearing harvest time. We have good vehicles and the kids finished college debt free. I enjoy my Tudor Submariner, leather briefcase, nice sunglasses and way too many nice writing instruments. My wife has her "things" she likes. We are blessed.

Our most important asset is the love we share for each other from spouse to spouse then to kids and back all around. And we have our faith which is all important to us.
Beautiful
Old 1 June 2020, 12:47 AM   #51
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I wouldn’t even begin to describe myself as “wealthy” but I would consider myself pretty independent and debt free.

I continue the same habits that got me here to ensure I stay here and continue to improve my position financially.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:09 AM   #52
mrN
"TRF" Member

I come from absolutely nothing and I am self-made.

I’m still young (32) and I have everything material I dreamt of... A yacht, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Rolex, AP, Richard Mille...

And I have to say most days I wish I could just live a simpler life but my ambition doesn’t allow me.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy a weekend with my family and friends way more than any materialistic thing.

Wealth is a weird thing that I’m still trying to learn how to deal with.

Have a great weekend folks!

mrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 02:16 AM   #53
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
I am far from being rich, but all my necessities are covered, and I am very aware of that, and don’t let the lack of a Ferrari or a Richard Mille bring me down

I think being frugal with certain things is being smart.

I eat well, I try to be good to my body. I am not frugal when I eat.

If my car breaks down I prefer to fix it myself, I try my best to not give money away for someone to do something that I can do myself.

Plus, I trust myself more than a random mechanic.

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #54
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left!

×2

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 09:52 AM   #55
qua13
Banned

I have not gotten much Rolexes from this life I am very much bothered.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 11:40 AM   #56
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I wasn't born rich and I'm still not.
^^^^THIS^^^^

And who cares either way!
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 05:06 PM   #57
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i think being thrifty and getting the best deal is fun. definitely nothing to be ashamed of
htc8p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 08:36 AM   #58
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I’m happy. Do I wish my family had money to pay for my life’s journey? Of course; would have been so much easier, but I made it so far all by myself and meeting my wife along the way was the most brilliant thing that ever happened to me (thanks to Karl Lagerfeld and Andre Leon Talley). Life is great. And we saved a little, have some fun watches and bought a house.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:14 AM   #59
luial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Healthy is wealthy

Agree on that 100%
luial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 11:38 AM   #60
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
i think being thrifty and getting the best deal is fun. definitely nothing to be ashamed of

Amen!

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote