The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 27 February 2020, 02:01 AM   #1441
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Not trying to be flippant or callous but in the long run this Coronavirus is going to make patient investors a lot of money.
historically, please can make money in a good market.

but people can create real wealth in a bad market.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 27 February 2020, 03:24 AM   #1442
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
historically, please can make money in a good market.

but people can create real wealth in a bad market.
As long as markets move there is money to be made. This trading bounce today was another great sell opportunity. Technicals are wrecked, bond yields are spiking, funds are going to start seeing redemptions, margin calls were ugly yesterday . . .

Perfectly happy to hold cash at this point
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 27 February 2020, 03:48 AM   #1443
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
As long as markets move there is money to be made. This trading bounce today was another great sell opportunity. Technicals are wrecked, bond yields are spiking, funds are going to start seeing redemptions, margin calls were ugly yesterday . . .

I’m following your lead brother.

Can’t imagine the margin calls and the havoc they created.

I’ve heard stories of investors with billion dollar losses. Heck, Elon Musk is light by the tune of 4 billion today.

Personally, it appeared values were out of control anyway. I think the only way I deploy more cash is when it stabilizes.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 27 February 2020, 03:55 AM   #1444
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

Personally, it appeared values were out of control anyway. I think the only way I deploy more cash is when it stabilizes.
I agree
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 27 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #1445
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
3:34 pm: 83 New York residents placed in self-quarantine after returning from China
Nassau County health officials said that they have placed 83 Americans in self-quarantine after returning to New York from China amid concerns they were exposed to the new coronavirus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notified local officials that a plane was carrying Nassau County residents with “potential exposure” to the virus, Health Commissioner for Nassau County Dr. Lawrence Eisenstein told reporters. Potential exposure, in this case, means that they had traveled to China in the past 14 days. —Feuer
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/coro...t-updates.html

Quote:
Microsoft warns it will miss guidance for segment that includes Windows because of coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/micr...ronavirus.html

Anyone still want to buy the dip?
Old 27 February 2020, 10:42 AM   #1446
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:

Bond yields are spiking? I think you mean prices.
Old 27 February 2020, 10:43 AM   #1447
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am dollar cost averaging down in retirement accounts and my kids 529 plans, none of which I am touching for more than 15 years.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #1448
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Bond yields are spiking? I think you mean prices.
Correct, I was thinking spiking to the downside, near another inversion
Old 27 February 2020, 11:49 AM   #1449
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am dollar cost averaging down in retirement accounts and my kids 529 plans, none of which I am touching for more than 15 years.
That is not "buying the dip". People buying yesterday and this morning hoping for a V shaped recovery.

Futures down 230 at the moment for tomorrow
Old 27 February 2020, 12:00 PM   #1450
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

My day trading account just went from all time high to 29% haircut within the past 5 trading sessions. 15% are realized losses after getting greedy trading SPCE and going for one last trade, and the other 14% are declines in value of positions in QQQ, VTI, ROKU, TSLA, MSFT, and PANW. My plan is to lay off the day trading, slowly add to the ETF positions (not individual stocks), ignore the markets, bag hold for however many years necessary until my positions are well in the money, and at that point start selling out of the money covered calls for premium every week to help make up for lost time.

Being relatively new to short term trading, what I'm quickly learning is true is that while it is very possible to beat the market by a wide margin, time in the market provides better peace of mind. There's a reason why successful investors like Peter Lynch, Burton Malkiel, Warren Buffet etc. advocate longer term buy and hold strategies.

Found the following article which I thought would be of interest to many on this forum: "How the stock market has performed during past viral outbreaks, as coronavirus spreads to Italy and Iran"

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/he...ads-2020-01-22
Old 27 February 2020, 10:41 PM   #1451
beshannon
"TRF" Member

10 year 1.29% new record low this morning
Old 27 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #1452
walds11
"TRF" Member

Buckle down fellas!
Old 27 February 2020, 11:19 PM   #1453
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
Buckle down fellas!
Futures down 400, 98% of stock now below their 10 day moving average

Zero economic growth for the US being priced in by Goldman

Bad open for a Thursday, no one will want to hold over the weekend so expect a huge washout by tomorrow close.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:20 PM   #1454
77T
2024 Pledge Member

If you didn’t already position for correction then you’ll want a 6-point safety harness on your desk chair. I’m looking at over-reaction in US markets like we saw after 9|11.

Can’t fault the frantic sellers trying to cover bad positions - it’s their money if they want to lose it. But the algo’s are whipsawing each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 27 February 2020, 11:21 PM   #1455
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Futures down 400, 98% of stock now below their 10 day moving average

Zero economic growth for the US being priced in by Goldman

Bad open for a Thursday, no one will want to hold over the weekend so expect a huge washout by tomorrow close.

I would assume the same but one thing I’ve learned is I’m almost always wrong on big short term directional trades so I’ll just watch.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:33 PM   #1456
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I would assume the same but one thing I’ve learned is I’m almost always wrong on big short term directional trades so I’ll just watch.
Agreed, too late to sell. Going to do some hedging this morning

Just got this off Twitter

Quote:
Just off the phone with a large hedge fund mgr who says, in his opinion, the market is screaming that it doesn’t believe the Administration is anywhere near ready to deal with this, including doubts about the appointment of VP Pence as point man.
I have no political position or leanings. Take this for what it says. The markets have no confidence which is very, very bad for sentiment.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #1457
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sadly I also thought it was a terrible appointment for point man on the matter but par for the course unfortunately. I wanted to say so in the other thread what is being said here, if you think it’s poli capital think again. The market says otherwise in a big way.

I believe people here are just focusing on the market so hopefully nobody takes offense to that statement.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:42 PM   #1458
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Nearing retirement I moved 25% of my portfolio out of equities and into bonds last year. Currently my asset allocation is 50/25/25 so I'm well positioned to take advantage of this correction but I think this will get considerably worse before it gets better so I'm being patient. It looks like there may be a drip, drip of negative news/developments for the next few weeks/months so buckle up.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #1459
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Nearing retirement I moved 25% of my portfolio out of equities and into bonds last year. Currently my asset allocation is 50/25/25 so I'm well positioned to take advantage of this correction but I think this will get considerably worse before it gets better so I'm being patient. It looks like there may be a drip, drip of negative news/developments for the next few weeks/months so buckle up.
I am in the same position and am trying to protect capital
Old 28 February 2020, 12:23 AM   #1460
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is not "buying the dip". People buying yesterday and this morning hoping for a V shaped recovery.

Futures down 230 at the moment for tomorrow
Sort of. Instead of one year in the 529 I will be doing 5 years up front, and spreading out the purchases over the next 9 months. Not trying to catch a falling knife, but most certainly amping up my purchases from my usual buy in every day philosophy.
Old 28 February 2020, 12:38 AM   #1461
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lets keep the political commentary out of this thread please.
Amen to that
Old 28 February 2020, 01:04 AM   #1462
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Yep, I just sold all my positions before market this morning, well almost all... Was tough decision, I don't want to pay capital gains on long term holdings... but at this point it's not looking good, so I'll continue to watch and buy back in when the coast is looking clearer.
Old 28 February 2020, 01:07 AM   #1463
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
So, two stocks that I've been watching lately are HRTX (recommended here in this thread, and I've got a decent position in it) which I still think will do well, long-term, and VIR, which is another biotech, but this one is developing an antiviral drug for the coronavirus. It was up big time a few weeks ago, then fell back into the teens, then up 60% yesterday (yes, you read that right) and another 70% earlier this morning. Crazy.

Fortunately I have more cash than stocks, so I'm going to start buying real, steady companies soon. Like Exxon, GM, companies like that with real products, real dividends that may not be high-flyers, and also try to focus a bit more on recession-resistant companies like pharmaceuticals, utilities, beer. LOL

BTW, before you follow any of my recommendations, read back through this thread to see how incredibly consistently wrong I am. More LOL (as I cry in my coffee).

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Closed Thread