The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 March 2010, 04:44 PM   #1
rizakaniza

Watch: Submariner 5510
What do you think of this 1958 Vintage Sub 5510?

My parents recently passed this down to me. It was my Great Uncle's and he apparently bought it while overseas (military related). Well, at first I really struggled to determine the date for reasons that will be obvious when you see the pics. I stopped off at Rolex in the South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) and we found the watch stamped with "5510" as the model. They sent me downstairs to one of the Watch Repair places and they popped the back off and found a "1530" movement. I'm trying to get an idea of how much this is worth. Unfortunately, the serial number was very worn down from 3/4's up, so only the top 1/4th of the numbers are visible making serial identification difficult. Any help will be much appreciated.

rizakaniza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 04:59 PM   #2
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizakaniza View Post
My parents recently passed this down to me. It was my Great Uncle's and he apparently bought it while overseas (military related). Well, at first I really struggled to determine the date for reasons that will be obvious when you see the pics. I stopped off at Rolex in the South Coast Plaza (Costa Mesa) and we found the watch stamped with "5510" as the model. They sent me downstairs to one of the Watch Repair places and they popped the back off and found a "1530" movement. I'm trying to get an idea of how much this is worth. Unfortunately, the serial number was very worn down from 3/4's up, so only the top 1/4th of the numbers are visible making serial identification difficult. Any help will be much appreciated.

Just wondering if your grand uncle did his military training with the RAN (Royal Australian Navy) ?

The dial looks more like a 5512 metre first matte dial from the mid 60's- (just my opinion- probably wrong )

rgds

Mark
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 05:45 PM   #3
jedly1
"TRF" Member

the 5510 is a very rare model made only in 1958, kind of an interim with big crown and earlier style case but with the first 1530 movement. the dial on yours has been re-painted, which unfortunately hits value pretty hard as does the rubbed numbers if they are un readable and even the loss of the original style hands and bezel insert....

for a full good one think £45k and up - for a redialed, maybe £15-20k, it'd be hard to put a number on yours, market will dictate should you sell it. there is/was a service dial that may still be avilable from geneva which would tidy it up but with rubbed numbers you'd have to hit and hope they'd work on it.
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 06:59 PM   #4
rizakaniza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
the 5510 is a very rare model made only in 1958, kind of an interim with big crown and earlier style case but with the first 1530 movement. the dial on yours has been re-painted, which unfortunately hits value pretty hard as does the rubbed numbers if they are un readable and even the loss of the original style hands and bezel insert....

for a full good one think £45k and up - for a redialed, maybe £15-20k, it'd be hard to put a number on yours, market will dictate should you sell it. there is/was a service dial that may still be avilable from geneva which would tidy it up but with rubbed numbers you'd have to hit and hope they'd work on it.
Jedly,
Thanks for that. Although, the numbers really aren't rubbed; that's just glare from the lighting. My major concern was that it looks like the dial is from a later year. (5512?) Not sure why that would have been done...
Old 9 March 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
rizakaniza

Another thought, is if I simply had it re-painted to the original?
Old 9 March 2010, 08:37 PM   #6
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jedly,
Thanks for that. Although, the numbers really aren't rubbed; that's just glare from the lighting. My major concern was that it looks like the dial is from a later year. (5512?) Not sure why that would have been done...
by rubbed numbers i meant the rubbed serial between the lugs.

the dial isnt a 5512 its a straight redial/repaint. original = value so not a lot you can do to correct it now im afraid.
Old 9 March 2010, 09:06 PM   #7
watch-guy.com
Banned

Hands also look replaced . Second hand looks a bit strange but it may be the picture

Nice Brevet crown though!

Julian
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 09:11 PM   #8
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jedly,
Sorry for leading you up the Garden path, it looked to me like a 5512.
I'd say Jed will be much better place to advise.

rgds

Mark
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 11:01 PM   #9
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Nice

Wonderfull watch with provenance.

Shame of the dial, but it occurs.

Try to get it to Geneva for service, maybe someone (Bob Ridley?) can touch up the serial numbers first.
As said earlier they might have a dial around

The crown looks awesome

Wear it in health!!

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
Some Pair

Watch: The Rollie's.....
Quote:

I can tell you the bracelet or atleast the clasp has been changed to a newer piece (1971).
I too had a 1958 model, tho a 6538, that was original but with a similar dial also redone.
Contact Steve Mulholland here on TRF, as he helped me out with mine and an interested party. Couldn't hurt?
Nice piece for sure. I'd wait for economic upturn before placing it up for sale.JMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6538 Rolex-3.jpg (111.0 KB, 843 views)
Some Pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 12:13 AM   #11
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
there is/was a service dial that may still be avilable from geneva which would tidy it up but with rubbed numbers you'd have to hit and hope they'd work on it.
In this thread I have seen several references to Rolex Geneva and them having correct parts like service dial, hands and such. Can you please provide more information on the type of service Geneva offers over the rest of the Rolex service world? I’m sure for the right person with the right connections and right status, original parts probably are available.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 01:08 AM   #12
Renoir
"TRF" Member

Fantastic watch!!!

Renoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 01:16 AM   #13
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Can you please provide more information on the type of service Geneva offers over the rest of the Rolex service world? I’m sure for the right person with the right connections and right status, original parts probably are available.
There was a thread in the last month or two with some details on this. If I remember correctly Rolex Geneva will try to work on older watches that have a family history such as yours, mine and the poster of this thread. In other words, if the watch has always been in your family since new and regularly serviced, they will look at servicing it. I don't know if they would go as far as put a period correct vintage dial on it. What they probably don't want is a flood of watches from people that just bought them and want to get them back to a more valuable vintage state.

Robert
robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:36 AM   #14
rizakaniza

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
There was a thread in the last month or two with some details on this. If I remember correctly Rolex Geneva will try to work on older watches that have a family history such as yours, mine and the poster of this thread. In other words, if the watch has always been in your family since new and regularly serviced, they will look at servicing it. I don't know if they would go as far as put a period correct vintage dial on it. What they probably don't want is a flood of watches from people that just bought them and want to get them back to a more valuable vintage state.

Robert
Rob,
From what I was told my Uncle bought it directly from Rolex overseas and it has been in the family ever since. Not sure how regularly it has been serviced, but I know that my dad took it into a Watchmaker in North Scottsdale that worked on it. When I went into Rolex, they felt the hands were sitting too low in the watch like something wasn't exactly right on the inside. The watch runs, but +/-15 minutes fast per day right now. WOuld definitely be interested in getting all parts back to original.
Old 10 March 2010, 03:49 AM   #15
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Would be a nice project to restore to as near to original condition as you can. No rush, just look, search and wait for the bits n pieces you need to become available. You could put up WTB's on here and VRF but that usually leads to sellers knowing what you need and trying to rip you off/hold you to ransom for the parts.

I don't imagine Rolex themselves will touch it being old as it is and needing a fair bit of work.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:54 AM   #16
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Some Info

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5744054
http://diving-watch.org/ROLEX-SUBMARINER-5510

Correct dial/hands

TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:00 AM   #17
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
You should give Steve Mulholland an email. He could get that up to speed. He does great work, and is VERY good to deal with. He is here on TRF. I've had 100% satisfaction restoring watches like this.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 05:09 AM   #18
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
In this thread I have seen several references to Rolex Geneva and them having correct parts like service dial, hands and such. Can you please provide more information on the type of service Geneva offers over the rest of the Rolex service world? I’m sure for the right person with the right connections and right status, original parts probably are available.

unfortuantely should anyone trun up a loose original 5510 dial you'd be talking £15k for it, and half a dozen people waiting to find one.

however, Rolex did make a range of later servcie replacement parts for these models and supported them well. so the service dial is a white print dial that will do the job, in fact i think its the one fitted in the link below shown earlier in the thread but it could just eb the flash playing tricks - (oddly my5510 is the one bought by that guys best mate in the unit on the same day), it doesnt add anything to value really but it will look better than a redial.

Rolex geneva ( and through its service centres depending on how bothered they can be, and lets face it for rolex USA thats usually too much effort) should still in theory be able to supply that dial, and as the watch has the 1530 calibre rather than the now officially unsupported 1030 movement it should be possible for asy service centre to work on it should they be that helpful, all depends on their mood, who you get on the desk etc... same story for hands but obviosuly theyd be silver coloured rather than the original gilt..

I'm sure Rolex has original parts in the vault but they in theory by law arent allowed to supply earlier dials/hands because of the radium or tritium in them.
Old 10 March 2010, 11:30 AM   #19
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(oddly my5510 is the one bought by that guys best mate in the unit on the same day), it doesnt add anything to value really but it will look better than a redial.

Love the link and story. That is what I like about my father’s watch so much is the dive stories behind it even if some watchmaker pulled some trickery..
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 01:16 PM   #20
rizakaniza

Anyone know a good place in Socal to get this watch appraised at? I'm nervous about mailing it anywhere until it is insured, so I won't even consider mail right now.
Old 10 March 2010, 02:50 PM   #21
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I think there is now an official Rolex Authorized Dealer (with Geary's) in the Century City mall. There is also an AD at South Coast Plaza. If no one else has other leads re: appraisal then those two stores might be a good place to start. Then, once you have an appraisal, you may want to ask your homeowner's insurance carrier about insuring your watch.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2010, 11:41 PM   #22
mhmfao
Removed

Watch: 16600K (lug holes)
1958 5510 Submariner 1530

ALCON,

Saw a 1958 5510 Submariner 1530 (8mm BREVET) at Jack Road in Tokyo today. Sales clerk said it keeps good time. The store was pretty proud of it and wants 8,880,000 Yen ($94,706.8 USD). Additionally, the store is advertising it as a James Bond Submariner, but from what I've read on TRF and other sources, the 5510 was not one of the Submariners associated with James Bond in the books or the movies.

Hope this helps.

1958 5510 1530.jpg

V/R,

Michael
mhmfao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 02:40 AM   #23
TerryF

Watch: GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmfao View Post
ALCON,

Saw a 1958 5510 Submariner 1530 (8mm BREVET) at Jack Road in Tokyo today. Sales clerk said it keeps good time. The store was pretty proud of it and wants 8,880,000 Yen ($94,706.8 USD). Additionally, the store is advertising it as a James Bond Submariner, but from what I've read on TRF and other sources, the 5510 was not one of the Submariners associated with James Bond in the books or the movies.

Hope this helps.

V/R,

Michael

Have a look at this link and check the third watch from the top

http://www.ukwatches.com/RolexE2.html
TerryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Macro80
"TRF" Member

Thats an utter beauty!!!!!
Macro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 06:17 PM   #25
Macro80
"TRF" Member

Macro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2010, 06:46 PM   #26
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryF View Post
Have a look at this link and check the third watch from the top

http://www.ukwatches.com/RolexE2.html

blimey thats an old link to james site, have a look in his archive of his collection at his australian navy 369 dial 5510... now that, thats really special !!!
Old 7 April 2010, 09:37 AM   #27
rizakaniza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macro80 View Post
Macro, were you referring to mine or the one in Tokyo?
Old 7 April 2010, 09:43 AM   #28
rizakaniza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmfao View Post
ALCON,

Hope this helps.

Attachment 127691

V/R,

Michael
It would be nice if mine was worth near that much. I'm still waiting to hear back from the appraisal. It's been a little over 2 weeks. Is that normal?
Old 7 April 2010, 02:50 PM   #29
rizakaniza

Just thought I would repost these pics here as well...

Serial is 362XXX
Old 8 April 2010, 04:56 PM   #30
KrisRsub
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 5512 chapter

Unfortunately the watch is put together from different Rolex parts eg the dial is form late sixties (if not refinished) so are the hands, movement type is questionable for this type, bezel, crown and case look original to 5510. Cheers
KrisRsub is offline   Reply With Quote