The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 6 April 2020, 06:52 AM   #5401
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Boris Johnson admitted to hospital due to COVID-19, precautionary at the moment apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2020, 06:53 AM   #5402
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
It is though worth bearing in mind that Sweden has a population more than 6 times lower than the U.K. with a land area that’s nearly double ours, giving a population density 12 times lower. It’s a lot harder to keep a lid on an infectious disease that spreads through close contact in small, densely populated countries and regions. I think their numbers are comparatively pretty bad and certainly don’t suggest that their strategy is working.
You may be correct. Statistics are difficult to interpret sometimes. You make an interesting point about the size of the country but that could be irrelevant if the bulk of the population live in the towns/cities?

Their strategy may be working exactly how they intend - Get it over and done with, thinking they will have a similar amount of deaths either way – but with a less affected economy.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:57 AM   #5403
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protect+Yourself.jpg (43.5 KB, 473 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:00 AM   #5404
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
disagree. it would not change my opinion one bit. it would hurt terribly. but it would not change my opinion.

bad is not 5% of our population dying. to a certain degree 5% is likely very good for the world.

bad is 25% of the population dying.

bad is the entire wolds economy coming to a halt causing mass rioting, poverty, hunger and therefore more disease and death.
Several questions Seth, my friend.

First, when you say that 5% of the population of the world dying is not bad or that it would be good for the world, what do you mean? That it would be good to have these people die because we don't need them and it's no big deal, or that it would be a good outcome for a terrible viral pandemic that the world was not prepared for?

Second, when you say the economy coming to a "halt" are you saying that it has? Because obviously a lot of commerce is still at work. Or are you postulating a possible effect of the steps that have been taken if they are continued for a prolonged period? Or that if we wait to long to reopen it will grind to a halt?

Third, do you agree that except for a few hot spots where no one could do any work anyways with current conditions (like Northern Italy and NYC) the world economy is not come to a complete "halt." Yes, many businesses that depend on social contact are shuttered. And many other businesses have stopped work as non essential. But a good chunk of the economy continues. For example in my state, if you observe social distancing and a few other guidelines you are waived in as essential.

Last,

On 9/11 the US lost about 3,000 people. Was it a good idea to shut down all air travel, reopen with new restrictions and then spend several trillion dollars to combat the threat? Dollar for death, we spent a lot more money on 9/11 than we have so far. Not saying we won't wind up spending more by the time we are done. But we did spend a lot. How does that compare?

When Boeing lost a couple of aircraft with hundreds of souls, all of it's aircraft were grounded. And the economic loss is large. Was that a good idea? How does that compare?

Stay safe.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:01 AM   #5405
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Since I’m in the middle of a Covid-19 hot spot, here’s a tip for some of my brothers where it hasn’t hit hard yet. Buy some hand sanitizer for when you’re out an about and can’t wash your hands. Lysol spray, Clorox wipes to sanitize door handles and other frequently touched surfaces. I sanitize anything i bring into the house, groceries included. Nitrile gloves and some sort of disposable face masks. If not any sort of cloth face mask will do (balaclava, motorcycle riding mask etc.) These items are almost impossible to find locally. An immune system booster such as airborne or emergen-c. And make sure you have a bottle of Tylenol, just in case you get a fever. They’re saying ibuprofen makes corona virus symptoms worse.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:06 AM   #5406
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
You may be correct. Statistics are difficult to interpret sometimes. You make an interesting point about the size of the country but that could be irrelevant if the bulk of the population live in the towns/cities?

Their strategy may be working exactly how they intend - Get it over and done with, thinking they will have a similar amount of deaths either way – but with a less affected economy.
Yeah fair enough I’m definitely not familiar with the micro-demography of the distribution of the Swedish population. I do though note, looking at the list of European countries whose numbers can be vaguely relied upon, that the worst performers in terms of mortality either have very large populations (Italy, Spain, France) or relatively high population densities (Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland).
Old 6 April 2020, 07:14 AM   #5407
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Several questions Seth, my friend.

First, when you say that 5% of the population of the world dying is not bad or that it would be good for the world, what do you mean? That it would be good to have these people die because we don't need them and it's no big deal, or that it would be a good outcome for a terrible viral pandemic that the world was not prepared for?

Second, when you say the economy coming to a "halt" are you saying that it has? Because obviously a lot of commerce is still at work. Or are you postulating a possible effect of the steps that have been taken if they are continued for a prolonged period? Or that if we wait to long to reopen it will grind to a halt?

Third, do you agree that except for a few hot spots where no one could do any work anyways with current conditions (like Northern Italy and NYC) the world economy is not come to a complete "halt." Yes, many businesses that depend on social contact are shuttered. And many other businesses have stopped work as non essential. But a good chunk of the economy continues. For example in my state, if you observe social distancing and a few other guidelines you are waived in as essential.

Last,

On 9/11 the US lost about 3,000 people. Was it a good idea to shut down all air travel, reopen with new restrictions and then spend several trillion dollars to combat the threat? Dollar for death, we spent a lot more money on 9/11 than we have so far. Not saying we won't wind up spending more by the time we are done. But we did spend a lot. How does that compare?

When Boeing lost a couple of aircraft with hundreds of souls, all of it's aircraft were grounded. And the economic loss is large. Was that a good idea? How does that compare?

Stay safe.

Your post is confusing.

You say that you are asking question. But you are actually making your own judgements and statements based on what I said, disguised in questions.

I’m happy to give you my thoughts to your questions, but I’d like to actually confirm with you first that you are genuinely asking questions that you’d like me to answer.

To be honest, I don’t believe you are. But I might be wrong. I hope I am.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 6 April 2020, 07:18 AM   #5408
antbkny
"TRF" Member

If you gotta go out, gear up, i value my life and yours. Stay safe fellas!
Old 6 April 2020, 07:25 AM   #5409
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
If you gotta go out, gear up, i value my life and yours. Stay safe fellas!

I hope you don’t go anywhere near kids in that getup - they’re worried enough as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 6 April 2020, 07:26 AM   #5410
77T
2024 Pledge Member

The Queen

https://youtu.be/x3fDQUNI-O8

Old 6 April 2020, 07:27 AM   #5411
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I hope you don’t go anywhere near kids in that getup - they’re worried enough as it is.

lol. Luckily most are leaving the kids home. And the bank tellers really get a kick out of it
Old 6 April 2020, 07:33 AM   #5412
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Your post is confusing.

You say that you are asking question. But you are actually making your own judgements and statements based on what I said, disguised in questions.

I’m happy to give you my thoughts to your questions, but I’d like to actually confirm with you first that you are genuinely asking questions that you’d like me to answer.

To be honest, I don’t believe you are. But I might be wrong. I hope I am.
Seth. I think my prior posts speak for themselves. I am genuinely interested in your responses.

So, I will apologize in advance if the wording of my questions offended. But I would point out that your posts on this subject have also sometimes mixed in argument with questions or points. It is hard not to given the nature of the issues involved.

I would also point out that saying 5% death toll world wide would not be "bad" or might be "good", in my opinion begs for clarification, particularly when those words are used by someone whose post I usually find thoughtful and well written.

So, let me start over and ask my questions again. Albeit with more brevity and less argument.

1. What do you mean by 5% death of world population would not be bad. And what do you mean when you say it might be be "good."

2. By grinding to at halt is that what you are saying we have done or might be the possible effect of waiting to to reopen too long.

3. Do you agree that a good bit of commerce is continuing in the majority of places that are not hot spots?

4. How does what we are doing now, and the costs associated to date compare with what we spent responding to 9/11 and Boeing had to do to respond to their crashes, on a dollar for death comparison.

I think these are fair questions.

Stay safe.

Last edited by mountainjogger; 6 April 2020 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 6 April 2020, 07:37 AM   #5413
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Anyone comparing a planned terrorist attack and the results of such to results of a virus is pretty tone deaf. Make that extremely tone deaf.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:39 AM   #5414
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
lol. Luckily most are leaving the kids home. And the bank tellers really get a kick out of it

I bet!

Old 6 April 2020, 07:43 AM   #5415
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Anyone comparing a planned terrorist attack and the results of such to results of a virus is pretty tone deaf. Make that extremely tone deaf.
I’m struggling with that as well.

Old 6 April 2020, 07:49 AM   #5416
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
the Coronavirus outbreak thread

A few great resources for trustworthy information on the Coronavirus Outbreak.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

John Hopkins University | Coronavirus Resource Center:
http://covid19.healthdata.org/
Attached Images
File Type: png Covi19.png (118.8 KB, 472 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:57 AM   #5417
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Seth. I think my prior posts speak for themselves. I am genuinely interested in your responses.

So, I will apologize in advance if the wording of my questions offended. But I would point out that your posts on this subject have also sometimes mixed in argument with questions or points. It is hard not to given the nature of the issues involved.

I would also point out that saying 5% death toll world wide would not be "bad" or might be "good", in my opinion begs for clarification, particularly when those words are used by someone whose post I usually find thoughtful and well written.

So, let me start over and ask my questions again. Albeit with more brevity and less argument.

1. What do you mean by 5% death of world population would not be bad. And what do you mean when you say it might be be "good."

2. By grinding to at halt is that what you are saying we have done or might be the possible effect of waiting to to reopen too long.

3. Do you agree that a good bit of commerce is continuing in the majority of places that are not hot spots?

4. How does what we are doing now, and the costs associated to date compare with what we spent responding to 9/11 and Boeing had to do to respond to their crashes, on a dollar for death comparison.

Stay safe.
I’m interested as well.
Old 6 April 2020, 07:58 AM   #5418
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Stay safe.
For number 1. Please see here: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...postcount=5367

2. Grinding to a halt. Yes. Companies are working remotely. Yet the amount of layoffs and furloughs in the last month are enormous in scope. And it’s just starting. You are very literally talking semantics in your question. For all intents and purposes our economy has been dealt a death blow that will result in millions unable to pay rent and more. The trickle down effect of this will be enormous.

3. Yes. Some commerce is continuing. Yet the majority of the country is at home. Most are not earning. Most of any commerce continuing is essentials. Basic needs to keep people fed and clean. Not much else.

I can’t speak for non hot spots because I’m in one. But every business contact I have is working from home.

4. I do not think this is a fair question. And I have too much respect for those that died and their families to go into detail in my response. I was sitting next to a woman that lost her husband and father to her children while it happened. I believe I understand why you asked. However, I simply don’t think it’s appropriate or even fair to compare a pandemic with a man made terrorist attack. I will heave it here and won’t comment further.

Old 6 April 2020, 08:02 AM   #5419
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Here’s my .02 into how absolutely trashy this entire forum has become. The threads go from this one - where people couch jockeying short-sighted comments and opinions about one of the most tragic situations our modern society has faced to date.

To other truly brainchild type threads led by I’m sure expert economist bashing the grey market - led hoping the end of the world and someone’s business is forced to ‘give’ them a deal on a watch they’ll never get.

The true lack of compassion and moderation of this garbage - astounds me.

Old 6 April 2020, 08:10 AM   #5420
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Here’s my .02 into how absolutely trashy this entire forum has become. The threads go from this one - where people couch jockeying short-sighted comments and opinions about one of the most tragic situations our modern society has faced to date.

To other truly brainchild type threads led by I’m sure expert economist bashing the grey market - led hoping the end of the world and someone’s business is forced to ‘give’ them a deal on a watch they’ll never get.

The true lack of compassion and moderation of this garbage - astounds me.

Excellent Post Roger.
Closed Thread