The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2020, 02:56 AM   #31
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
Yes that makes so much sense. This is the reason I haven't paid for the blue. The experience isn't the same when buying at a grey dealer at a high premium, and knowing that I pay more to get the watch, it impacts the ownership experience as you said.

So in the US you can actually get blue dial within a year or so without any purchase history? In HK i was told no chance.
That is what I was told by the AP corp boutique last month. Whether it is true or not I have no idea. To be clear, I did not put in for the blue dial. I bought the black and I'm 100% happy with it. However, the SA would happily have put me down for the blue and I just would have gotten the call in 12~ months when it came in. I just don't care enough lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruchan22 View Post
I can afford the 40% premium but it is just the mental thing of mine that I don't like getting ripped off.....I guess it has nothing to do that whether a person is rich or not, a consumer always wants to buy something that is worth the money.
This entire purchase is mental/emotional. If you don't pay close attention to how YOU feel about it, the purchase is going to bother you. I promise.

There are things in life that I personally want bad enough that I will just pay whatever (within reason) and not think about it. Because I REALLY wanted it. However, having to have a blue dial AP RO today just doesn't fall under that category for me. But that doesn't mean it won't for someone else and that's all that matters. Do what is right for you.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:25 AM   #32
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I fully agree with what was said above. Buying a RO is really a great emotional experience, especially if it is purchased from the AP boutique. I do hope the experience will be amazing for you, whichever route you decide to take.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:37 AM   #33
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I have bought watches at MSRP, below MSRP, and from resellers at a premium. All purchases seemed fine at the time. Never looked back and couldn't tell you which watch was in what category.

Same with hard to get cars, sporting arms etc.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:29 AM   #34
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Amazing how nothing more than a simple color change drastically affects valuations. It's not even a material change, simply a paint change.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:04 AM   #35
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I much preferred the black dial in person than blue. So if you’ve never seen them on your wrist try and do that first then make the decision

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:09 AM   #36
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I much preferred the black dial in person than blue. So if you’ve never seen them on your wrist try and do that first then make the decision

I have to admit, all these impossible to get watches are very strange to me... It used to be you had to try something on your wrist to see if you liked how it fit, and how the color matched with you (your wrist, your skin tone, what you wear, your personal taste, etc).

Now? Everything is purchased sight-unseen.
Old 11 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #37
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

I have to admit, all these impossible to get watches are very strange to me... It used to be you had to try something on your wrist to see if you liked how it fit, and how the color matched with you (your wrist, your skin tone, what you wear, your personal taste, etc).

If i had of only gone on pictures and desirability level i would have never bought the diver.

Yet the instant i tried it on i knew that was the perfect watch for me.

I do understand why desirable drives more desirability from consumers though.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #38
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Blue is nice on all ROs but not 10k NICER

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:27 AM   #39
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If i had of only gone on pictures and desirability level i would have never bought the diver.

Old 11 July 2020, 08:39 AM   #40
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

if you really like the blue and willing to pay for the difference, then go for it.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:57 AM   #41
phow
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s funny you say this because if there wasn’t all the hype around the blue dial, I don’t know that I would have even considered it for my first AP. Not because it isn’t a great looking dial. It is. Just because I have always gone with black dials (when an option) on all of my SS watches. Unless I’m on my 2nd or 3rd watch within that particular model line, then I would go with some color to change things up.
phow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:12 PM   #42
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly right that’s how I felt about the 42mm ROO, not in a million would I have bought at retail at the boutique but I tried it in and it’s been love ever since...
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:51 PM   #43
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Amazing how nothing more than a simple color change drastically affects valuations. It's not even a material change, simply a paint change.
Quote:

It just doesn't make sense does it? Seems it's more about what others think, asking a forum full of strangers, the hype, the followers, IG, youtube morons with their opinions (some without even having the watch) etc. Pretty sad. Your paying this much money and need others validations and perceived hype of rarer dial colors (my ruthenium is actually more rare but who cares).

I was looking at my older notes from few years ago when researching the 15400 from multiple greys. Besides the prices being ridiculously low compared to now (still high then for me) I was balking at paying a couple hundred premium for a blue dial thinking it just another color, who cares. Then I saw them all and tried them in real life and didn't even like the blue dial which was "already sold" to another client but I'm sure I would get a call less than 24 hours later if I wanted it (the guy was almost literally winking "hey do you really want it?").

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I fully agree with what was said above. Buying a RO is really a great emotional experience, especially if it is purchased from the AP boutique. I do hope the experience will be amazing for you, whichever route you decide to take.
To me its actually a bonus not to deal with the dickhead sales reps at some of the boutiques especially in the LA area (westime, BH). It is not an emotional experience for me at all for this particular watch/brand. I got turned off in major ways at the AD and bought it from an AD source literally a few days later brand new, no bs no attitude. Why cant they get it right the first time? They only have like a handful of boutiques is that hard to get it right? just a bad bad start to a client relationship being my first experience at an AP boutique at the time.

It seems that AP really cares about having a client relationship and buying full pop at a boutique, I know this for a fact right from mid management (I wont share details), yet the treatment at some of these places is very intolerable and sometimes downright unprofessional like when I had to jump through hoops ordering an extension link and the idiot installed it backwards or when they simply treat you like they are doing favors selling you a watch. Anyways rant over, glad I got the piece I wanted from a great source.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:21 PM   #44
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

40% more. No way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:21 PM   #45
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
It just doesn't make sense does it? Seems it's more about what others think, asking a forum full of strangers, the hype, the followers, IG, youtube morons with their opinions (some without even having the watch) etc. Pretty sad. Your paying this much money and need others validations and perceived hype of rarer dial colors (my ruthenium is actually more rare but who cares).

I was looking at my older notes from few years ago when researching the 15400 from multiple greys. Besides the prices being ridiculously low compared to now (still high then for me) I was balking at paying a couple hundred premium for a blue dial thinking it just another color, who cares. Then I saw them all and tried them in real life and didn't even like the blue dial which was "already sold" to another client but I'm sure I would get a call less than 24 hours later if I wanted it (the guy was almost literally winking "hey do you really want it?").

To me its actually a bonus not to deal with the dickhead sales reps at some of the boutiques especially in the LA area (westime, BH). It is not an emotional experience for me at all for this particular watch/brand. I got turned off in major ways at the AD and bought it from an AD source literally a few days later brand new, no bs no attitude. Why cant they get it right the first time? They only have like a handful of boutiques is that hard to get it right? just a bad bad start to a client relationship being my first experience at an AP boutique at the time.

It seems that AP really cares about having a client relationship and buying full pop at a boutique, I know this for a fact right from mid management (I wont share details), yet the treatment at some of these places is very intolerable and sometimes downright unprofessional like when I had to jump through hoops ordering an extension link and the idiot installed it backwards or when they simply treat you like they are doing favors selling you a watch. Anyways rant over, glad I got the piece I wanted from a great source.
I am sorry to hear about your experience. My initial experience with the AP boutique was good. Previously with THG, they were unable to get any stock from AP and it was quite a frustrating experience. Now THG does not even carry the brand anymore (in Malaysia). I suspect AP is trying to move to a full boutique experience and slowly reduce their dependence on authorised dealers. I try to purchase from boutique only whenever possible as they are more forthcoming and straightforward. Less games to play.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 07:49 AM   #46
bart12
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth;

a) buy what you like, not what's hyped
b) talking hype: the 15450 blue is not even the same blue as the one on the 15202, so that hype does not even make sense so to speak. In other words, if you really have to buy what is "cool" at the moment, get the 15202 from AP or nothing at all
c) all hype aside, I personally find the grey much nicer than the blue for this model. It also has the added benefit of making the dial look a bit bigger as it kind of blends in with the rest of the watch (which is all steel)
d) also all hype aside, if you want a really nice blue dial, get a 5711 (or as it has just been discontinued, the successor of the 5711)

When you think about it, it's really funny how "grown up" men act like they're back in high school trying to get the sneakers/watch which all the cool kids have. At least for teenagers it's kind of understandable that they do not have their own character/taste figured out and are so easily influenced by peer pressure
bart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 07:17 AM   #47
herbie911
"TRF" Member

I just got mine this week after more than 12 months wait! I have been wearing the watch all the time since I got it! You will not mind the wait! All worth it!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 07:36 AM   #48
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart12 View Post
For what it's worth;

a) buy what you like, not what's hyped
b) talking hype: the 15450 blue is not even the same blue as the one on the 15202, so that hype does not even make sense so to speak. In other words, if you really have to buy what is "cool" at the moment, get the 15202 from AP or nothing at all
c) all hype aside, I personally find the grey much nicer than the blue for this model. It also has the added benefit of making the dial look a bit bigger as it kind of blends in with the rest of the watch (which is all steel)
d) also all hype aside, if you want a really nice blue dial, get a 5711 (or as it has just been discontinued, the successor of the 5711)

When you think about it, it's really funny how "grown up" men act like they're back in high school trying to get the sneakers/watch which all the cool kids have. At least for teenagers it's kind of understandable that they do not have their own character/taste figured out and are so easily influenced by peer pressure
Agree to all of a), b), c), and d).

Like you I prefer the grey dial on the 15450 (c) but the watch is a little chubby and it would have to be a 15202 (b) in the end. I am quite happy with that other blue dial sports watch though (d) and there may not be enough room for a second blue dial sports piece as I like to keep it to 3-5 watches total.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 11:35 AM   #49
Emery
"TRF" Member

I settled for the grey dial, and now everytime I see pictures of the blue dial, I think to myself "what if".
At the same time, I'm the kind of person that values the AD experience/connection over buying from secondary.

The grey dial blends in with the overall case, while the blue has more pop/distinction.
I suspect each has it's place depending on your situation.

I'm just hoping that one day, when the 15450 gets discontinued, the blue dial swap will become an option.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2021, 09:09 AM   #50
MrBlahBlah
"TRF" Member

I think it’s worth checking out the grey dial 38mm chronograph. The grey is simply stunning, it really comes alive with various textures and levels of depth. It elevates grey to another level of design and art, I think....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrBlahBlah is offline   Reply With Quote