The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2010, 08:43 AM   #61
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Even whining namby pambies know its far safer to smash a 16610/16600 with a hammer than the new subc....Gee Wizz for crying out loud! Please let us know what the repair cost was.
tgoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 08:52 AM   #62
ess45
"TRF" Member

The ceramic bezel will not stop me from buying a Sub C but the wide lugs have stopped me.
ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:05 AM   #63
WARVET
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog1000 View Post
Millions of ceramic bezels now out in the wild...
A handfull of broken ones.....Percentage,less than 1% I'm sure...
Try not to worry and just enjoy it!!
Sucks if you are the 1%
WARVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:28 AM   #64
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARVET View Post
Sucks if you are the 1%
I guess...........
Sucks if you cross the street and get hit by a car as well!!
Odds are the same....(or similar)

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:55 AM   #65
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
There is a price to pay when you look this good ;)

now that's a money shot. it looks vintage and cutting edge --at the same time...gorgeous.
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 09:57 AM   #66
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

No one knows what the percentages are except Rolex, and they ain't saying. It's greater than 1% guaranteed.
Old 21 August 2010, 09:58 AM   #67
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoose1 View Post
No one knows what the percentages are except Rolex, and they ain't saying. It's greater than 1% guaranteed.
Your two statements would appear to be odds with each other unless you work at Rolex...
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 10:40 AM   #68
Porsche
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:

No disrespect meant, but what kind of "guarantee" is it that you asre giving to back up "greater than 1%" ? Is it the same guarantee as Rolex give for the ceramic bezel

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 11:15 AM   #69
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it's any help, of the ceramic bezeled watches that my place of work has sold since they were introduced in 2005, not one has had a problem with the bezel. Neither have we taken in one we haven't sold to send back to Rolex. It isn't the world's biggest AD, but we've had a very steady turnover on ceramic GMT IIs and Subs, not a problem so far.

I've already said this, but I'll reiterate it - of the thousands of ceramic bezeled watches that are in circulation, there have only been 3 or 4 confirmed cases. This is perhaps a good example of the internet blowing things out of proportion - the world seems very small through a computer screen. You also have to take into account that people are more likely to post about their watch if it has a serious problem than if it's absolutely fine - you don't get any posts on here, for example, saying that the bezel is perfect, it goes without saying.

Once again, to sum up, it's a storm in a teacup. Quite frankly, if there was a serious problem, then Rolex would have recalled them. I'm perfectly happy with the new ceramic bezels, for me, this whole business is a non-issue that's been completely blown out of proportion.

The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 11:19 AM   #70
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
If it's any help, of the ceramic bezeled watches that my place of work has sold since they were introduced in 2005, not one has had a problem with the bezel. Neither have we taken in one we haven't sold to send back to Rolex. It isn't the world's biggest AD, but we've had a very steady turnover on ceramic GMT IIs and Subs, not a problem so far.

I've already said this, but I'll reiterate it - of the thousands of ceramic bezeled watches that are in circulation, there have only been 3 or 4 confirmed cases. This is perhaps a good example of the internet blowing things out of proportion - the world seems very small through a computer screen. You also have to take into account that people are more likely to post about their watch if it has a serious problem than if it's absolutely fine - you don't get any posts on here, for example, saying that the bezel is perfect, it goes without saying.

Once again, to sum up, it's a storm in a teacup. Quite frankly, if there was a serious problem, then Rolex would have recalled them. I'm perfectly happy with the new ceramic bezels, for me, this whole business is a non-issue that's been completely blown out of proportion.

and that ladies & gentlemen is why he's known as "the gmt master"...he knows his stuff!
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 12:31 PM   #71
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
The new SubC will be the test for this technology. The GMT crowd is probably not as rough and tumble as the sub crowd. Of course most of the sub crowd probably baby their rolex as well. Time will tell.
My AD got his first 2 days ago. I went to see it today in the flesh. It's nice, but I don't love the new case design. I had tried it before in the 2tone, but I wanted to see it in steel. One thing I do like is the look of the recessed markers in the bezel. I think I might grow to hate it though if it trapped grime. I still don't like how the lumed bezel marker is so pronounced and elevated. It looks almost like an afterthought.
I can understand why people like the butch new look. I'd rather pick up a Panerai if I wanted a bolder look.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 05:46 PM   #72
689maple

Watch: 116718 PP & B Bay
GMT II C for several years now and no problems. Don't worry about it.
689maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 06:01 PM   #73
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
The new SubC will be the test for this technology. The GMT crowd is probably not as rough and tumble as the sub crowd. Of course most of the sub crowd probably baby their rolex as well. Time will tell.
My AD got his first 2 days ago. I went to see it today in the flesh. It's nice, but I don't love the new case design. I had tried it before in the 2tone, but I wanted to see it in steel. One thing I do like is the look of the recessed markers in the bezel. I think I might grow to hate it though if it trapped grime. I still don't like how the lumed bezel marker is so pronounced and elevated. It looks almost like an afterthought.
I can understand why people like the butch new look. I'd rather pick up a Panerai if I wanted a bolder look.

One part of this post made sense Doc.

My AD got his first 2 days ago

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 06:52 PM   #74
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:

Well said Chris
Old 21 August 2010, 07:42 PM   #75
swatty
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Well said Chris
X2
Old 22 August 2010, 01:57 AM   #76
tgoose1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I understand your bias, and it is lockstep with all AD's regarding this topic because it's what you have to sell presently. Interesting that of the tens of thousands of c-watches out there, (3) cases of bezel failure have been documented here, and I've tripped over (2) other in the past year. So, if I understand you correctly, that's the sum total of all "documented" +1 incidents worldwide? The number of Rolex owners dwarfs those who would actually share any personal watch information on an internet forum. Rolex shares zip, zero, nada product incident/defect information with AD's. I love the new styled subs, but can be critical as a consumer who understands quality and regularly/happily pays extra for it.

Since the ceramic is touted by AD's as superior material will you offer a "free" no questions asked replacement bezel to the original buyer, or say a 5-year replacement warranty? Whatever the real breakage% of Rolex ceramics has been over the past few years, I'll wager it exceeds catastrophic aluminum bezel failure that has occurred in the past 30 years.
Old 22 August 2010, 03:23 AM   #77
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
One part of this post made sense Doc.

My AD got his first 2 days ago
What part of my post didn't make sense. It is clear, with correct spelling and punctuation. I noted a couple things that I liked and didn't like about the new design.
People who buy a stainless SubC, and use it as designed (underwater, scuba, pros, etc) are likely to be rougher on their wathes than the previously released models (GMT, 2tone and 18k sub). If they're not breaking the bezels over the next few years than there's probably no real problem. Time will tell.
If you really don't understand what I was saying, and care, let me know what was unclear and I'll be happy to explain it better.

十人十色
Old 22 August 2010, 03:33 AM   #78
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Metal inserts dent and scratch but never shatter.

Ceramic inserts never scratch, or dent but do shatter.

Silly arguement. Both have issues if hit wrong. Ceramic maintains it's color
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 03:38 AM   #79
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Has anyone of you who is stoking this fire in regards to the durability of ceramic bezels, a) actually own one or b) actually had one break?

If so, then you are qualified to chime in. Until then, it's all 2nd hand hearsay.
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 03:54 AM   #80
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnh View Post
Easily fixed (unlike a broken ceramic bezel - )

Thanks to sheldonsmith for pointing these out in this thread

OK, your turn, now show me some aluminum bezels that broke when the rest of the watch survived.
The link to these images as well as others is over at http://www.minus4plus6.com/ouch.htm

Great discussion and I too am troubled by the GMT ceramic and bracelet clasp issues, but I still wear my GMT-C every day. It is a three year old Z series without any issues, although I do check the clasp under a loupe every few weeks. I do take comfort that the percentage for breakage is low, and that without the Internet, none of use would be aware of these anomalies.

-Sheldon
Old 22 August 2010, 04:01 AM   #81
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Icon13

Quote:
Has anyone of you who is stoking this fire in regards to the durability of ceramic bezels, a) actually own one or b) actually had one break?

If so, then you are qualified to chime in. Until then, it's all 2nd hand hearsay.
One doesn't have to have something to understand it or have an opinion on it.
Pretty weak argument Z.
I don't have cancer either, but I do understand it, and know I don't want it.
BTW, that's a really nice photo. If you don't mind me asking, what are you working with?

十人十色
Old 22 August 2010, 04:05 AM   #82
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Jesus. Comparing cancer to a ceramic bezel is WEAK.

When you have owned a watch with a ceramic bezel and wear it daily for weeks or months, you will understand it's not like wearing a piece of glass on your wrist. Until then, please don't tell me how durable it is or it isn't until you've actually had one.
Old 22 August 2010, 04:31 AM   #83
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Jesus. Comparing cancer to a ceramic bezel is WEAK.

When you have owned a watch with a ceramic bezel and wear it daily for weeks or months, you will understand it's not like wearing a piece of glass on your wrist. Until then, please don't tell me how durable it is or it isn't until you've actually had one.
Well its something that I understand and have some strong opinions on without actually having. I don't own a Kia either, but I know it's crap. Is that a better example?
I don't need to drive one for months to know it's underpowered, unattractive and of cheap build quality. I don't even need to test drive it.
I never said that a ceramic bezel is like glass. I did say that I knock my watches around all the time, take them diving, etc. I knock my watch into stuff all the time at work. I, as in me, am likely better off with the old design. I would rather have a dent and a scratch than have to get a new bezel. Unlike many, I'm not going to get worked up about those little dents and scratches either. Others like me MAY prefer the old design as well, as it MAY confer an advantage. If you don't value my opinion ignore it, but I am entitled to it. There is photographic evidence of some issues with the new design not present in the old design, like bezel and weld failure, that's all the proof that I need that it's a problem for some owners. It's not a problem that I want to think about. Hopefully it's not going to be a problem for most owners.
I guess you won't be sharing the details about your gear?

十人十色
Old 22 August 2010, 04:35 AM   #84
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

I have owned a Deepsea, GMTIIc and a SubC, and tough as any other normal watch wear and certainly don't baby my watches and have had ZERO issues. Until I do, I will consider the ceramic bezel a terrific material with fantastic durability.
Old 22 August 2010, 04:39 AM   #85
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris russell View Post
I heard those things get bent if they are in a collision. Forget it, I'll just walk everywhere.

I've also heard that houses sometimes burn down. Forget it, I'll just live in a tent.

I've heard that shoes wear out if you walk around in them. Forget it, I'll just go barefoot.

I've heard that clothes need to be laundered all the time. Forget it, I'll just go naked.

Now that is an argument I would stay away from
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 04:43 AM   #86
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Quote:
I have owned a Deepsea, GMTIIc and a SubC, and tough as any other normal watch wear and certainly don't baby my watches and have had ZERO issues. Until I do, I will consider the ceramic bezel a terrific material with fantastic durability.
x2.. There are people in this world who are afraid of flying because there is 1 in million or so chance of crashing..But they have no problem driving on the road which has far more chance of a fatal accident..

So this is a pointless argument to win..Buy whatever you feel comfortable with.
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 04:48 AM   #87
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

This thread is turning into the classic "Old V's New" debate.....There will be no comprimise one way or another with some people and so be it..We all have our own opinions and will stick to them!!....

Luckily I have both and see both sides equally....Both are great in their own right!!
Now if your worried about this and that,then steer away from the product and go with what you know or think you know.....

I can see why people dislike the ceramic and thats good,if we all liked the same thing we would all have the same watch......
As said above I have both and like them equaly,but I will say if you like the ceramic and won't get one because of concern,then simply,your missing out on a great bezel for the reason of a slim chance for failure.Mine is now 4 years old and not a problem with either bezel or clasp!! What a stunner it is IMO....

How about we all agree to disagree.....!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 05:15 AM   #88
chris russell
Banned

Watch: your mouth.
Why

ning?
chris russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 06:29 AM   #89
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

I think I won this one ;) ;)

Old 22 August 2010, 06:55 AM   #90
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB03TT View Post
My AD quoted me $80 for a GMT II bezel- Coke, Pepsi or Black- installed. I would think the 16610 bezel would be no more, if not less.
Do u mean bezel or insert??
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote