The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2013, 07:43 PM   #181
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
but a tool it is not.
It is an ISO certified dive watch. End of story.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2013, 07:30 AM   #182
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
The DSSD is big, tall and heavy. The thing I don't like about the AP Diver is the crown at the 10:00 position. I know it serves a purpose, but for me it's a deal breaker
Really? Its something I never notice any more, same with the HEV on my Omega PO, I just don't think about it at all, there is literally so much else that catches my eye with this watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 01:17 AM   #183
craniotes
Banned

Quote:
But hey I'm sure a better looking movement is worth more than a better working one, talk about marketing...
Personally, I view movement decoration and hand-finishing as legitimate reasons for choosing one watch over another. I mean, isn't that a big part of mechanical horology and something to be lauded rather than derided? And if the movement turns out to be fantastic piece of engineering with ceramic ball bearings, a variable inertia Gyromax balance and a 60-hr power reserve (achieved with a single barrel), all the better, right?

No, true "marketing" would be more along the lines of, "...it takes a year to make a [insert watch here]" when the watch in question rolls off an assembly line.

But that's just me.

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 02:29 AM   #184
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Lol, I love this thread. So much passion for justifying purchases. There'll be a counter for every post of either watch. Obviously everyone has buying priorities that lead you to one over the other. I wouldn't mind owning both......
Enjoy your watches guys.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 02:48 AM   #185
craniotes
Banned

With out that passion, we'd all be wearing Casio F-91s right now.

And yes, I want my DSSD back, as it was and is a truly brilliant piece of engineering. Overkill? Of course, but then that's sort of the point and a big part of why I loved it so much.

Regards,
Adam
craniotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 02:05 PM   #186
mtb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky/Sea/Land
Didn't remember I had the login... but anyway... was thinking of having another diver and came across this thread..

I have the DSSD by the way, and it is on Rubber B... and i wear it almost daily (except for weekends... I wear g-shock for mountain biking)

it's really comfortable on rubber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1460.JPG (61.3 KB, 604 views)
mtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 02:54 PM   #187
oilman666
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends, but I just don't get the AP appeal (from an aesthetics standpoint). I've tried to warm up to their look over the years, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The funky stop-sign, non-functioning bezel cases (w/ garish screws), dials that always seem too cluttered w/ their checker board layouts & hands that always seem way too plain & boring all add up to a watch that just doesn't look good to me.

No disputing their movement & build quality, but I've got to like what I'm looking at when I put a watch on my wrist and the AP's just don't do it for me. I've said it before, but to me the AP looks like something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's.

For that reason alone, I would take the DSSD all day long. Good luck!
I respect your opinion. but I personally like the AP look. I love the look. That being said the DSSD on this topic is the way to go
Old 16 July 2013, 10:32 PM   #188
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Having owned both, I'd say that the DSSD is more suitable for hard use (not because the AP couldn't take it but because of the more delicate finishing that would take a beating). If you are a sat diver, it is a no brainer ...

That said, the AP wears a lot more comfortable and balanced and it is a joy to stare at (for me that is). You have to like the AP design language of course.

As a side note, I find the internal bezel a non issue and have no problems operating it (though I never tried underwater and I would probably not like opening the crown). I also LOVE the look of the 10 o'clock crown.
Old 17 July 2013, 10:13 AM   #189
Dcmk

As much as I like AP Diver but definitely the Deepsea in this regard - in comparison the AP is more beauty than brawns
Dcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 10:15 AM   #190
Dcmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
AP diver is a classier watch IMO. DSSD is a gimmick watch; no one dives to depths over 120 ft., and the AP diver well exceeds that depth by over three fold....
Sorry IMO it should be the other way round - AP Diver the gimmicky but classier yes
Dcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2013, 10:02 PM   #191
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
I'm a 24/7 guy too and while I haven't wanted to rip it off my wrist yet, I have recently noticed it's weight. I was bed ridden last week for a few days and didn't wear a watch. When I finally put the DSSD on I could feel the weight and found it to be burdensome even. It may have been some oversensitivity since I was still a little sick but it has been a wake up call, now I'm afraid that my beloved Deepsea will start to mentally become heavier and possibly uncomfortable.

I'm not a flipper but want that "perfect" timeless watch that I could see me wearing when I'm sixty plus years old, In the back of my mind, the Deepsea doesn't seem to be that watch, but my GMTc is pretty awesome. Maybe I'm over thinking things.
So far my DSSD has been keeping my smile fresh when I look down and feels ok now that I'm healthy again, but the Diver is sure calling, especially the FC that I can't afford(unless I get rid of my DS and GMTc, the horror).
Oh man, you're toast...only a matter of time before the DSSD goes on the selling block. Been there, done that. As I mentioned earlier, my DSSD literally didn't come off my wrist for a little over 2 years. Never thought I would part w/ it until I purchased my SubC. Then the DSSD started to get inside my head just as you described.

Ultimately, once I purchased the Omega PO Chrono 9300 to fill my "big watch" desire, the DSSD was sold. I now routinely go between my 9300 & SubC.

While the SubC is still a tad smaller than I would like (I still wish Rolex would make a 42mm Sub), the Maxi-case definitely helps make it wear larger than 40mm. But in the end, there's just no denying how comfortable the SubC is when compared to the DSSD.

Oh yeah...and how could I forget in this thread. Death to all AP owners...that watch just can't hang w/ a DSSD (j/k...settle down...it was a joke). To each his/her own. Wear what you love, love what you wear.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 10:57 AM   #192
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
I am NOT a fan of the DSSD, Rolex is now making Panerai sized watches...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 11:46 AM   #193
beachbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Incoming
What a great thread great passion indeed. About six months after I posted this thread I got this one

I really liked the diver but didn't LOVE it so off it went

But I do love this one
What I learned is that they are both awesome watches and you cannot lose either way. However I think the DSSD takes a lot of crap on the forums which I
Find is a bit over the top. I find it sets the bar extremely high.
beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2013, 11:59 AM   #194
Hkexpat183
"TRF" Member

Depends what you want in a watch. If you want a luxury sporty diving watch then the diver but if you want a true bad ass diver and do anything tool watch then the DSSD is the one.

I looked at the DSSD for years it wasn't actually until I had a chance to try one for one week before I decided to pick it up. Haven't looked back since. Amazing durable piece if engineering.
Hkexpat183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 12:34 AM   #195
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Oh man, you're toast...only a matter of time before the DSSD goes on the selling block. Been there, done that.
Well, after much debating....I've officially decided the Deepsea's for me. In fact the Diver doesn't appeal to me at all anymore.
The fc Diver is a different story, but a little bit above what I'm willing to pay for a watch at the moment.
Old 16 September 2013, 01:08 AM   #196
masterserg
"TRF" Member

I just wish the Diver had better lume. Don't quite understand how Seiko, Omega and others can master lume and AP neglects this aspect. Ultimately, I love both watches but the bad lume is a turn off for me .... which wouldn't prevent me from getting it as it such a work of art (I owned both, more than once).
Old 16 September 2013, 02:00 AM   #197
leica
"TRF" Member

AP Diver!
Old 16 September 2013, 03:35 AM   #198
BZA
"TRF" Member

both!
Previous:[/B] 1: Rolex 16610 Y 2002 2: Rolex Daytona V 2008 3: Rolex 16610LV Z 2007 4: Rolex Milgauss 116400GV V 2008 5: Panerai Luminor Marina PR PAM 93 2005 6: AP ROO Diver H 2013 7: Rolex DJ II Slate w/ Grn Romans Random 2013 8:Panerai Submersible Ti PAM 25 2013
BZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 03:41 AM   #199
masterserg
"TRF" Member

^^ Always the best answer!

Old 16 September 2013, 03:50 AM   #200
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
However I think the DSSD takes a lot of crap on the forums which I
Find is a bit over the top. I find it sets the bar extremely high.
I've owned both, loved the APD and really liked the DSSD, but the reason the DSSD gets stick is because it is out of proportion, just too thick and top heavy and compounded by the madness of not having a thicker bracelet to stop the flopping and pulling of the head. It looks like Rolex, being used to only the 40mm divers, and worrying only about the diving capacity, didn't think through how the rest of the watch should wear and look.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:55 AM   #201
masterserg
"TRF" Member

My experience with the DSSD was different ... I loved the bracelet and found it very comfortable when properly sized. I guess wrist shape plays a part as well, mine being very flat.

Diver on rubber strap takes the edge comfort and fit wise though.
Old 16 September 2013, 04:21 AM   #202
bzabodyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek / AP / Rolex
This is my first post here, but I've been around other forums for a while (TZ, DWC, P.com) - after getting hot on AP recently, I started hanging around here (mainly drooling in the "daily AP" thread) - I currently own a DSSD that I mainly wear on the RubberB strap as its wonderfully balanced for a large watch - much more so than the bracelet. I had the DSSD and a sub C together for a while but the DSSD won out.

I was going to move the DSSD recently for a Diver and I just couldn't justify spending that much for a watch on a rubber strap when I already have what I think is the perfect watch on a rubber strap. I opted instead for a new silvered dial 15400 for some diversity that I'll get next Tuesday. I think it'll be a nice contrast between my other (most black dial) watches. Don't get me wrong, I still love the diver, but I don't think it can beat out the DSSD in my modest collection.

BZ

bzabodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 06:12 AM   #203
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
My experience with the DSSD was different ... I loved the bracelet and found it very comfortable when properly sized. I guess wrist shape plays a part as well, mine being very flat.

Diver on rubber strap takes the edge comfort and fit wise though.
Totally agree. Walked into a boutique wearing my DS and tried the Diver, comparing it right after taking my DS off I can honestly say it's one comfy mamajama.
Love my Deepsea though, it's that fc Diver I need to stay away from as it will hypnotize me into selling my watches for it. That thing is sick.
Old 16 September 2013, 03:22 PM   #204
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I've owned both, loved the APD and really liked the DSSD, but the reason the DSSD gets stick is because it is out of proportion, just too thick and top heavy and compounded by the madness of not having a thicker bracelet to stop the flopping and pulling of the head. It looks like Rolex, being used to only the 40mm divers, and worrying only about the diving capacity, didn't think through how the rest of the watch should wear and look.
Adjust the bracelet to fit your wrist correctly and the watch won't move. A thicker/wider bracelet would only make the watch more uncomfortable.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 04:42 PM   #205
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

I had to have it pretty tight to stop any head movement which I don't like to do altho the fantastic glidelock made this easy to adjust, but still it was irritating. I don't have this issue on my subc, which I sold it for, and rarely have to adjust the glidelock as I can wear this a little loose. But also aesthetically the bracelet tapering down to just 16/17mm didn't look right esp on a thick 43mm watch. The APDs thicker bracelets/straps look so much better balanced and my 44mm Breitling's bracelets tapering to 20mm were more comfortable too. But Im certainly not anti DSSD at all, I thought it was a great watch overall just not right for me.
Old 16 September 2013, 10:35 PM   #206
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Just out of curiosity Neil, did you remove the Diver's Extension on the DSSD? It makes a massive difference on the DSSD's fit. Anyway, it is a tough watch to get used to ... I was never able to keep it for whatever reason. When I see the pictures, I want it again, immediately!
Old 17 September 2013, 12:30 AM   #207
BZA
"TRF" Member

+1 for Diver extension removal, as Serg says it transforms the comfort factor with the DSSD. Love both watches!
Previous:[/B] 1: Rolex 16610 Y 2002 2: Rolex Daytona V 2008 3: Rolex 16610LV Z 2007 4: Rolex Milgauss 116400GV V 2008 5: Panerai Luminor Marina PR PAM 93 2005 6: AP ROO Diver H 2013 7: Rolex DJ II Slate w/ Grn Romans Random 2013 8:Panerai Submersible Ti PAM 25 2013
BZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2013, 08:49 AM   #208
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
Mercedes AMG vs Entry Ferrari???... exactly AP all day, by the way I've owned both in the past...
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote