The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 July 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Well, this is embrassing....

I just popped the bracelet of my watch for the very first time and now I can't get it back on.

I wanted to change the bracelet and try it on with a nato.

Those damned spring bars and the lack of drilled holes are proving to be an extremely difficult task without scratching the hell out of my watch.

Should I bring back to the RSC to get this sorted or just go to any old watch repair shop?
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 04:52 PM   #2
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
I just popped the bracelet of my watch for the very first time and now I can't get it back on.

Those damned spring bars and the lack of drilled holes are proving to be an extremely difficult task without scratching the hell out of my watch.

Should I bring back to the RSC to get this sorted or just go to any old watch repair shop?
If you are in Hong Kong, in Nathan rd you have a watchmaker every 5minutes. If you don't feel confident to do it yourself, just go :)

ROLEXELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Invest in a spring bar tool, masking tape, and time =)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 04:55 PM   #4
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patek.wis View Post
Invest in a spring bar tool, masking tape, and time =)
Yes! that's right.

Nobody can do it better than you or at least, nobody will take care as much as you to do it perfect (without any scratch)

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=241551

Regards
ROLEXELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 05:01 PM   #5
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Getting the bracelet off is generally the hardest part, getting it back on is usually much easier. But yes, masking tape is a must, as well as patience. I also use a loupe as my near distance eyesight isn't that good lol!
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
The fine tolerances can make it difficult to fit a bracelet. On a new Rolex it is not possible, for example, to fit one springbar into a lug hole and then the other...both must be compressed together into the lug width and then the endlink moved into position. This can be a test for the 'technician'.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Surely, there must be tool designed to handle spring bars aside from the standard spring bar tool.

Is there such a tool that is designed to pinch in both ends of the spring bar so you can hold it in place while inserting the bracelet back in? If so, where can I buy this god-sent of a device?
Old 1 July 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The fine tolerances can make it difficult to fit a bracelet. On a new Rolex it is not possible, for example, to fit one springbar into a lug hole and then the other...both must be compressed together into the lug width and then the endlink moved into position. This can be a test for the 'technician'.
I usually put the end link on on a slope. So I tilt it so the one end of the spring bar is in the end link and slides into the hole, leaving the second part of the spring bar above the lug (if the watch is face down). Then while pressing down on the side that is not in the hole; i compress the spring bar in. The spring bar compresses towards the inside lug hole that the other spring bar end is already fitted in.

Takes about 10 seconds now that I'm proficient with it. There is no need to compress both at the same time.

Use masking tape and fiddle. Itll work out =)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 05:10 PM   #9
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patek.wis View Post
I usually put the end link on on a slope. So I tilt it so the one end of the spring bar is in the end link and slides into the hole, leaving the second part of the spring bar above the lug (if the watch is face down). Then while pressing down on the side that is not in the hole; i compress the spring bar in. The spring bar compresses towards the inside lug hole that the other spring bar end is already fitted in.

Takes about 10 seconds now that I'm proficient with it. There is no need to compress both at the same time.

Use masking tape and fiddle. Itll work out =)

I tried this method and it doesn't work without scrapping the ends of the bracelet against the lugs. The tolerances are indeed super tight and I got fed up after trying an hour.
Old 1 July 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Good thread for us rookies
Old 1 July 2012, 05:35 PM   #11
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
I prefer electrical tape to masking because it doesn't tear. First unscrew a link in the bracelet so you can lay flat on a towel and so it doesn't get in the way. Tape the inside lugs of both sides being careful not to place tape over the edge where the end links fall into place. The tape should just hit the inside edge perfectly flush so that it's protected and so no tape balls-up into the inside lug area when the bracelet end links fall inside.

Then place the bracelet end link inside the lugs with the both spring bar ends protruding over the taped portions. Using the Bergeon 6111 spring bar tool I depress and push one side of the end link in place while keeping the other side of the spring bar's collar depressed just enough to stay in place on the outside lip of the lug's edge (this way it doesn't jettison out). I use the back of a bamboo kabob skewer for this (the pointed side of the skewer works great for lug hole models, btw!). Repeat with the other side and maneuver end link carefully until you hear the click on both sides. Remember to Loctite that screw you removed and voila!

A problem most people face is they want to seat the first spring bar completely in the hole before going to the other side. This causes the other end to rise at an angle the bar can easily escape. You want to seat the first side just enough to fully depress the bar completely inside the lug but not yet inside the lug hole. Once you get the other bar inside the lugs is when you want to patiently position the end link until it seats properly.

There are tools like the Bergeon 6825 that depress both ends simultaneously but i've tried them and they don't work well in my opinion. Problem is if they slip you loose a spring bar on top of the tension of the pliers springing back outward causing more scratches! Not to mention the fine tip one suggested for Rolex only works with some sports models I own. Forget it for the 36mm DJ or for the Super Jubliee.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 05:36 PM   #12
mvmbles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Surely, there must be tool designed to handle spring bars aside from the standard spring bar tool.

Is there such a tool that is designed to pinch in both ends of the spring bar so you can hold it in place while inserting the bracelet back in? If so, where can I buy this god-sent of a device?
There is a Rolex spring bar tweezer, but they're about impossible to find for sale on the internet. There are also Bergeon tweezers, but I much prefer the simplicity of the Rolex tweezers.

If anyone can source that tool, please let me know...been searching for eight months now! I'm sure other forum members would be interested as well.

http://watchmakingblog.com/2011/10/1...-bar-tweezers/
mvmbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 06:09 PM   #13
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:

im sure any watchmaker will be able to pop it back in for you.

as mentioned before, taking off is the more difficult bit...

how did you know the lack of drilled holes are proving to be an extreme difficult task if this was the first time you have taken off the bracelet?
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmbles View Post
There is a Rolex spring bar tweezer, but they're about impossible to find for sale on the internet. There are also Bergeon tweezers, but I much prefer the simplicity of the Rolex tweezers.

If anyone can source that tool, please let me know...been searching for eight months now! I'm sure other forum members would be interested as well.

http://watchmakingblog.com/2011/10/1...-bar-tweezers/
IMO there are spring bar 'tweezer/compressors' and there are Rolex springbar compressors and they are two different beasts. The Rolex springbar is a wide powerful item compared to some springbars.

You need 6825-PF Bergon springbar pliers. I have used these and the are excellent once you get the hang of them.
The PF is a fine 'V' tip but I even had to finely hone these down to fit inside Rolex endlink slots. Trying to compress both ends at the same time is not easy without practice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bergeon springbar pliers.jpg (21.0 KB, 1234 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2012, 08:54 PM   #15
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Update: I picked up a spring bar tool, taped up the lugs and tried in vain for another two hours. Still couldn't get it back on properly without damaging the bracelet ends and finally gave up.

Brought my watch with me to the work today and was ready to take it in to the RSC. But along the way, walking by a Rolex AD, I decided to stop in and ask for help. The sales guy looked at it, took the the back and was able to the bracelet back on. All together it too the guy less than a minute to get both ends back on and without a scratch; and best all it was free of charge.

Those Rolex guys must have some specialized tool for inserting the bracelets. Anyway, I'm just relieve to have my baby back on my wrist. All is well with the world again!
Old 4 July 2012, 04:58 AM   #16
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Good job but everything you need Rolex related is right here on TRF. Here's an easy how to instruction using a metro card by Jocke.

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=238935
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 02:49 PM   #17
Travelin' Jack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those Rolex guys must have some specialized tool for inserting the bracelets.
It's all technique. It took me almost an hour to get my bracelet off and back on the first time. Took 3 minutes the second time. I just use a 1mm flathead screw driver, though I should probably invest in a spring bar tool.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 02:53 PM   #18
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I think he's probably ok now, this thread is almost three years old.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2015, 03:02 PM   #19
Isaactanjs
"TRF" Member

Watch: .. love them all
lol! a 3 year old thread.. nice bump. but if this were to happen to me, I would most likely bring it to the nearest RSC and get it sorted out.
Isaactanjs is offline   Reply With Quote