The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 May 2020, 10:43 AM   #91
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
Love the rotor on this one Ansharma. And also wanting that Lange 1 Moonphase for quite some time now.

Two great watches from two top brands - no doubt about that! The rotor is one of the best and also AP’s with the engraved family crests deserves a mention.

You could probably get both these on the secondary market for the current premium price of the 5167!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:48 AM   #92
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Excellent. Not in the market for the 5167, but you’ve made that Breguet look very appealing LOL

Lol just go for it - trust me, I have a collection of 15 luxury watches including ALS, Patek, AP and the Breguet is just super. Very hard to find a better watch at it’s preloved price.

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 11:18 AM   #93
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
Just some food for thought...As I mentioned I sold my 5167 and got the Breguet 5817 - had it for a year now and still love it and will hopefully never have to be sold.

Here is why I prefer the Breguet and why I honestly do not consider it a downgrade to the Aquanaut overall:

- Solid gold hand guilloche dial

- Date background matches dial and is a big date

- Adjustable rubber strap

- Wave/Marine shaped details throughout, for example on crown guards, and strap holders

- luminous details are white

- Nautilus guilloche winding rotor with nicely decorated movement

- 65 hours power reserve

- Extra details such as coin edge casing and stepped bezel

Anyone in the market for a 5167 should at least look at this timepiece especially as it is easily available and a bargain on the secondary market.

Ps I own 2 Patek dress watches as well and also enjoy them so nothing against Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of that timepiece, but to each his own.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 12:22 PM   #94
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

Aesthetically, that Breguet doesnt call to me either.
Old 23 May 2020, 08:15 PM   #95
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
2x retail is just not worth it to me. Wait a few months, maybe prices will fall towards the end of the year. You got nothing to lose if you wait.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:34 AM   #96
toptier
"TRF" Member

Had I had the actual money and I really, really love it, I'd do it at +100% MSRP.
It looks like you can afford it anyway. So your only dilemma will be choosing the seller whom you're going to buy from. It's like building a relationship with an AD. You also might get better deals with him down the line.
toptier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:25 AM   #97
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

if you don't care about "investment" (and you shouldn't when buying watches) ....then pay whatever premium you are comfortable paying. because it doesn't matter right if it goes up or down
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:50 AM   #98
RollieKid
"TRF" Member

Watch: my wrist candy
Quote:
Just some food for thought...As I mentioned I sold my 5167 and got the Breguet 5817 - had it for a year now and still love it and will hopefully never have to be sold.

Here is why I prefer the Breguet and why I honestly do not consider it a downgrade to the Aquanaut overall:

- Wave/Marine shaped details throughout, for example on crown guards, and strap holders

- 65 hours power reserve

Anyone in the market for a 5167 should at least look at this timepiece especially as it is easily available and a bargain on the secondary market.

Ps I own 2 Patek dress watches as well and also enjoy them so nothing against Patek.

Wow - that's a beauty! Thanks for sharing

Gone but not forgotten: Rolex 116233 and 16570
RollieKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:50 PM   #99
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

- 65 hours power reserve

I find it very strange to think that the Aquanaut trades above MSRP when a watch like that Breguet is, to my mind, 100000 times nicer to look at.

Gorgeous watch ansharma.

To the OP - on no underlying premise of quality, does it make sense to pay a premium for the 5167a. The Breguet in the post above shows that.
You’ll be paying only because time saved not waiting is way more precious to you than the extra money.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:35 PM   #100
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Lol just go for it - trust me, I have a collection of 15 luxury watches including ALS, Patek, AP and the Breguet is just super. Very hard to find a better watch at it’s preloved price.

Will be at the AD when they open to see how it feels on the wrist
Old 24 May 2020, 08:17 PM   #101
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I wouldn’t pay these prices personally but I guess it depends on how badly you want one. For me it could never be that strong enough to pay current secondary price.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:27 PM   #102
ts3
"TRF" Member

If I was in the market for an Aquanaut (which I am not) I would give the Breguet here a hard pass (and vice versa). The Breguet has a completely different design language no matter how I look at it (roman numerals, guilloche, shape of hands, mid-case, lugs, rotor etc), quite baroque in my book. Similarly I wouldn't want a (or another) Rolex sports watch if I wanted a 5167A.

OP should get what he loves IMO, even if that may involve foregoing some horological bang he could get by looking elsewhere altogether. Personally I'd just get on the wait list at the AD prepared for (another) multi-year wait ... and possibly go preowned if there was a strong correction in the interim.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:49 AM   #103
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I guess it all comes down to what "value" means, is it psychologically relative to a % of MSRP, absolute dollar threshold for material ,or relative to the perception of how much premium a brand is worth vs another brand.

If % of MSRP, then looks like a 5164R is the best way to go, minimal markup after VAT on secondary market (but high absolute dollar amount)

If pure $$$ cost, then swallowing the premium on a 5167A today is still best way to go.

And if relative to a brand, then just personal preference. e.g. for same dollar you get the PP name and design philosophy, but only get time/date complication in SS vs Rolex 116519 get chrono and white gold...but no PP name.

Personally for me after grappling with this same decision, I arrived at the conclusion it's not about the price, but the livability of the bezel relative to his life style. Reminds me of reading JorgeCCW's thread on his collection evolution and moving away from 5712.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote