The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2020, 01:02 AM   #1
Morrison0
Banned

Watch: 116500 BLRO SubLB
Advice - First Patek

Hi All

I would like to start Collecting Patek watches. I have completed my Rolex wishlist (Daytona, Pepsi, Sub, GMT LN) and own the AP Royal Oak and a PAM 104...a CasiOak too

I have always admired the calatrava and the Gondolo’s. I just completed my Rolex wishlist and would ideally like to start small ($$ wise)

Here is a Gondolo I have been admiring on Chrono24. Let me know your opinions on the piece...I am an absolute novice wrt Patek so alternate suggestions are welcome.

Look forward to starting my journey soon with your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Morrison0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:42 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

The 5024 is teeny tiny w a dial width of 18mm IIRC. The best about it is the proven 215 manual wind movement. The rest is not so great IMHO.

You should ask yourself if you'd wear a watch as small as the 5024 coming from 40mm Rolexes and larger. I like small watches - my largest piece is 40mm - and I am happily wearing a 34mm Calatrava, but this one would be too small even for my small wrists.

I would not focus too much on starting small $$ wise as that undoubtedly comes at a cost. Unless you are prepared to spend closer to 15 or 20k the risk is high that you'll start your journey on the wrong foot. Just my two cents of course...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:30 AM   #3
Morrison0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
The 5024 is teeny tiny w a dial width of 18mm IIRC. The best about it is the proven 215 manual wind movement. The rest is not so great IMHO.

You should ask yourself if you'd wear a watch as small as the 5024 coming from 40mm Rolexes and larger. I like small watches - my largest piece is 40mm - and I am happily wearing a 34mm Calatrava, but this one would be too small even for my small wrists.

I would not focus too much on starting small $$ wise as that undoubtedly comes at a cost. Unless you are prepared to spend closer to 15 or 20k the risk is high that you'll start your journey on the wrong foot. Just my two cents of course...

Thank you, this is the honest feedback I’m looking for. I am interested in a dress watch but I’m not sure if it’ll hold my interest for a long time hence the pull back on the $$.

The dial size you mention will be too small for my wrist. I have a 7” wrist. My lack of knowledge shows.

Ideally, am not looking to go over $10k and haven’t found anything except Calatrava 33mm which might be too small.

So the question is that whether I wait or is there something that I could go in for...

Old 26 May 2020, 03:30 AM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

Based on what you have got I doubt you will find a Patek you love for less than 10k. Anything in that price range will likely be near 30mm in terms of size.

Most of the 1990s 33/34mm Calatravas (such as 3998, 5000, 5026, 5096 etc) tend to start north of 10k, especially if w box and papers. You could also go vintage where the 35mm 3445 is not the most loved piece and hence more affordable than most. There are many others of course.

Key is to get to try on some stuff to find out what your requirements are and what you like (manual vs auto, date or not, small seconds or not etc). I'd certainly include the current 37mm 5196. Here the 215 movement is too small for the case but many consider it a nice watch regardless.

Once you know what you like you'll also know if you are ready take the plunge $$ wise.
Old 26 May 2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Morrison0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Based on what you have got I doubt you will find a Patek you love for less than 10k. Anything in that price range will likely be near 30mm in terms of size.

Most of the 1990s 33/34mm Calatravas (such as 3998, 5000, 5026, 5096 etc) tend to start north of 10k, especially if w box and papers. You could also go vintage where the 35mm 3445 is not the most loved piece and hence more affordable than most. There are many others of course.

Key is to get to try on some stuff to find out what your requirements are and what you like (manual vs auto, date or not, small seconds or not etc). I'd certainly include the current 37mm 5196. Here the 215 movement is too small for the case but many consider it a nice watch regardless.

Once you know what you like you'll also know if you are ready take the plunge $$ wise.

I dont disagree...I could stretch a little bit...but haven’t seen anything less than $15k which will be over 35mm. I guess it’s the wrong thread to start...buying a Patek with $10k

Old 26 May 2020, 08:54 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison0 View Post
...I could stretch a little bit...but haven’t seen anything less than $15k which will be over 35mm.

You have been collecting for a while considering the list of watches in your opening post above. So you must have some good patience unless you threw a high amount of money into grey market deals.

If you don’t want to part with any of your existing ones (which I would choose to do with the Pam and/or AP) then you’ll need to wait a bit.

But monetizing either or both of those would put you into a better PP budget aisle for the model you want. (absent an emotional attachment as a milestone watch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Morrison0
Banned

Agree, have never sold a watch till now, hopefully will pick up a newer, nicer Calatrava soon.

Old 26 May 2020, 10:21 AM   #8
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
My only 2 Pateks are the Gondolo 5124J and Calatrava 5116G. I would save a little more and go for the 5124 or a Calatrava 5119 - there are deals to be had on these and you may just have to be a little patient as they are both discontinued.

I recommend these as they are quite modern sized and are both classic Patek. The movement is visible on both and is particularly spectacular on the 5124 as it fits the case. I think these are great Patek DNA watches which are precious metal, slim and elegant on the wrist.
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:31 AM   #9
Morrison0
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
My only 2 Pateks are the Gondolo 5124J and Calatrava 5116G. I would save a little more and go for the 5124 or a Calatrava 5119 - there are deals to be had on these and you may just have to be a little patient as they are both discontinued.

I recommend these as they are quite modern sized and are both classic Patek. The movement is visible on both and is particularly spectacular on the 5124 as it fits the case. I think these are great Patek DNA watches which are precious metal, slim and elegant on the wrist.

Thank you, I gotta admit your recent thread where you showcased your dress watches certainly enabled my Patek move . You have an amazing collection...I have never owned a dress watch.

I think I am ready now, will research the options you mentioned. Thanks again!

Old 26 May 2020, 08:23 PM   #10
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I have owned this watch and absolutely LOVE IT! It is a 30m watch not 18m as mentioned by ts3.

If you love the watch and it fits in your budget, you should buy it.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 03:07 AM   #11
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
I have owned this watch and absolutely LOVE IT! It is a 30m watch not 18m as mentioned by ts3.

If you love the watch and it fits in your budget, you should buy it.
Sorry, seems like you have not read my post. All I said is that it is teeny tiny with a dial width of 18mm which is easy enough to figure out as the lug width is also 18mm. Nothing wrong there...
Old 27 May 2020, 03:49 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Gondolos are often overlooked amongst the Patek collection. However they are nice dress watches. The 37mm height of the 5024 should be fine on a 7" wrist. However Gondolas sit differently on the wrist compared to a Calatrava. So it is best to try one on before making a purchase.

As someone mentioned, the 5124 is a nice Gondolo as well.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Morrison0
Banned

Thank you all, I asked for pics of the model on the wrist and it did not work for me. So will wait to buy what I like. Appreciate it!

Old 28 May 2020, 01:48 AM   #14
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
If that is why you like, there you have it!!! You liking it is ALL that matters!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:04 AM   #15
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Gondolos are often overlooked amongst the Patek collection. However they are nice dress watches. The 37mm height of the 5024 should be fine on a 7" wrist. However Gondolas sit differently on the wrist compared to a Calatrava. So it is best to try one on before making a purchase.

As someone mentioned, the 5124 is a nice Gondolo as well.
Agree, this is great advice.

Like most rectangular watches, the gondolo will wear larger. OP, try one on and if you like the retro art deco style as I do, you might be surprised how well it fits!

A dress watch should be elegant and subtle, never big and bulky. This one might just work and as you've seen it's likely the best price point for entry to the patek dress watch market. Nothing at all wrong with a gondolo - the fact that they are less loved by some is to your advantage!

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote