The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2020, 07:54 PM   #1
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Going from YG DD to Pt DD

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to pick up my first PM watch, a YG DD soon. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me, and then felt the need to upgrade to the Pt DD. If so was it worth it?
Old 8 March 2020, 10:32 PM   #2
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I don’t have PM yet but in the market for a WG DD. I tried on a few including platinum. It did cross my mind to sell off the whole collection and just go for the platinum.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 10:41 PM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to pick up my first PM watch, a YG DD soon. Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to me, and then felt the need to upgrade to the Pt DD. If so was it worth it?
If the PT appeals to you perhaps you should save for that one or go for a white gold DD rather than a YG DD
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 10:56 PM   #4
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
If the PT appeals to you perhaps you should save for that one or go for a white gold DD rather than a YG DD
This for sure... YG only for me though
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 10:56 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The question of is it worth it to go platinum is up to each individual. I have owned several platinum DD's and a platinum Daytona over the years. Platinum is a metal that the owner knows he/she is wearing from the time you put it on. The weight and the appearance of the metal is different than SS or WG. Most people do not know platinum by sight so it can be less obvious than YG or RG. You have to ask yourself if the price difference is worth it. At certain points in my collecting career it has been and at other times not so much. I currently own a platinum DD II and a YG one. Both are fun but neither gets a lot of wrist time. I wear Seiko more than Rolex but when the mood hits I have some options. I would start with YG/WG and see how PM ownership goes for you. Buy right, sell right and you will not get crushed if you decide to go platinum later. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191107_095928 (002).jpg (179.8 KB, 690 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 10:58 PM   #6
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
I feel for a first PM watch YG is where I want to go. Just wondering if anyone has had both and feels upgrading to Pt was the right choice.

It’s something I can aim for, but the price difference is steep.
Old 8 March 2020, 10:59 PM   #7
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The question of is it worth it to go platinum is up to each individual. I have owned several platinum DD's and a platinum Daytona over the years. Platinum is a metal that the owner knows he/she is wearing from the time you put it on. The weight and the appearance of the metal is different than SS or WG. Most people do not know platinum by sight so it can be less obvious than YG or RG. You have to ask yourself if the price difference is worth it. At certain points in my collecting career it has been and at other times not so much. I currently own a platinum DD II and a YG one. Both are fun but neither gets a lot of wrist time. I wear Seiko more than Rolex but when the mood hits I have some options. I would start with YG/WG and see how PM ownership goes for you. Buy right, sell right and you will not get crushed if you decide to go platinum later. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Good advice, thanks.
Old 8 March 2020, 11:07 PM   #8
dimag333
"TRF" Member

there is something special about a yg dd, I say get that first!

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #9
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I love platinum watches so I went straight to platinum DD40. Weight is awesome but it has such a unique color combo with bright white platinum and ice blue dial. Only downside is you lose the fluted bezel.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:57 PM   #10
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
The platinum you need a new arm after a week. It's heavy as heck. You want to wear a 320 gram watch at all times?
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2020, 11:59 PM   #11
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
i went straight from steel sports watches to a platinum DD40.

i may at some point add a YG vintage DD, but honestly i don’t have any need to. the platinum is... exquisite. yeah, it’s heavier - but it’s also just insanely beautiful. and i actually prefer the domed bezel over fluted; more under-the-radar. if you can call a platinum watch under the radar.

but the weight isn’t obtrusive - unless you’re used to an apple watch or a swatch, it is THERE, and you won’t ever forget it - but it’s not as heavy as it feels in your hand. mine is about 270g on bracelet; half a pound.

Old 9 March 2020, 12:05 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Me, personally, I would stay away from a platinum DD. The lack of any adjustment in the clasp coupled with the weight of the watch is a non-starter.

Get your YG DD and then if you want a platinum watch, add the Daytona. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 12:09 AM   #13
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
The color and characteristics of platinum are beautiful. Anyone who says it looks like WG, look closer lol. The material is naturally silver toned so it won’t fade as WG will. WG will need to be rhodium plated eventually. Now the weight is extremely heavy. People say they get used to it, TBH I don’t think so. It’s a massive weight on your wrist. I personally would never buy a platinum watch. It’s a watch you need to try on and think about before you buy. Do not buy it with out trying it on, I repeat lol
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 12:10 AM   #14
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
guys.

it’s not that heavy.

Old 9 March 2020, 12:13 AM   #15
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
To me, it’s not worth the extra money. I’ve thought about a platinum day date... but at that price point there are other gold watches from other brands I’d consider first. Or, a gold day date and several other less expensive watches. Just not worth the price difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 March 2020, 12:27 AM   #16
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
WG will need to be rhodium plated eventually.

Not in the case of Rolex based on what have read; its mettalurgy mix does not requires rhodium plating in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 12:41 AM   #17
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
The color and characteristics of platinum are beautiful. Anyone who says it looks like WG, look closer lol. The material is naturally silver toned so it won’t fade as WG will. WG will need to be rhodium plated eventually. Now the weight is extremely heavy. People say they get used to it, TBH I don’t think so. It’s a massive weight on your wrist. I personally would never buy a platinum watch. It’s a watch you need to try on and think about before you buy. Do not buy it with out trying it on, I repeat lol

Rolex WG isn’t plated. It’s actually “grey gold” in that it is blended with other metals to be “white” all the way through and doesn’t discolour with time. Agree though that there is a big difference between the colours of a platinum and a WG Rolex. Both are very very nice just different.
Old 9 March 2020, 01:20 AM   #18
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d pause, not a good sign you have platinum on the mind before even going the gold one.
Need to figure that out, these are expensive trades to unwind. I know from experience
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 01:21 AM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr DateJust View Post
Rolex WG isn’t plated. It’s actually “grey gold” in that it is blended with other metals to be “white” all the way through and doesn’t discolour with time. Agree though that there is a big difference between the colours of a platinum and a WG Rolex. Both are very very nice just different.
the color difference is there and definitely noticeable side by side but if you're out and about it would be impossible to tell if the plat dd didn't have a smooth bezel
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 01:24 AM   #20
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

The money just seems to much a factor for me. In theory, I could get a DD YG, WG sub and SS daytona (if at MSRP) for a similar price of the DD Pt

One day I may change my mind, but for now I think I know where the value is for me. Thanks guys.
Old 9 March 2020, 03:15 AM   #21
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearson1995 View Post
The money just seems to much a factor for me. In theory, I could get a DD YG, WG sub and SS daytona (if at MSRP) for a similar price of the DD Pt

One day I may change my mind, but for now I think I know where the value is for me. Thanks guys.

Just keep in mind a platinum watch is 95% pure platinum. A gold watch is 75% gold. So part of the cost is you are actually getting more PM although I do get your point about it being A LOT more money.
Old 9 March 2020, 03:32 AM   #22
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just keep in mind a platinum watch is 95% pure platinum. A gold watch is 75% gold. So part of the cost is you are actually getting more PM although I do get your point about it being A LOT more money.
Very good point
Old 9 March 2020, 03:34 AM   #23
fwhawk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also keep in mind that at current spot prices an ounce of gold is almost twice the value of an ounce of platinum. That fact would keep me far away from purchasing a platinum watch. The pricing makes no sense to me.
fwhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2020, 03:58 AM   #24
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwhawk View Post
Also keep in mind that at current spot prices an ounce of gold is almost twice the value of an ounce of platinum. That fact would keep me far away from purchasing a platinum watch. The pricing makes no sense to me.
I was aware of this, and they try to say it’s due to the difficulty of working with platinum... it’s a domed bezel vs a fluted bezel, the price difference is dubious.
Old 9 March 2020, 04:07 AM   #25
Bigblu10
Banned

The bezel on a Plat DD is a no go for me. Fluted bezel is a hallmark of a Rolex Day-Date. It really makes the watch. So go YG, RG or WG.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 04:28 PM   #26
Low-Key
"TRF" Member

The reality of weighing the decision of a YG President vs a platinum doesn’t consider just finances, or its weight, but also the totally stratified character that they are (relative to each other, I mean).

When I consider what a gold President embodies, nothing I’m familiar with comes even close to a 36mm YG, typically with a champaign dial. Nothing. Even as i think back on those Rolex print ads of the guy lifting the receiver of the red phone while wearing a gold/champ pie-pan 1803, the appeal hasn’t faded or diminished with the ensuring decades. Somehow Rolex has groomed this millennial in its classicism.

Then you have the platinum President- a different beast entirely. It’s about as clean (domed bezel identifying it as platinum, pt-specific glacier dials, unique hue and brilliance of the actual metal, etc) a design language as it gets. I reference the 118206, mainly. Without even discussing the different game-changing portions of newer iterations (218xxx, 228xxx), it’s a total contrast. That’s why I wanted one of each. Cool thing about platinum is that (absent diamonds), you really can “daily” it in a far more low-key or under-the-radar manner than a gold President- hence my handle. Most non-enthusiasts won’t know to even look at the platinum as anything too out-of-the-ordinary, but I’ve learned that this is nearly impossible to do while wearing the gold President- ironic, in a sense, given the pricing divide mentioned above. To make a car analogy, it’s like when BMW released the E46 M3, specifically in Laguna Seca Blue; here in the traffic of Orange County, I could see just the roof of a Laguna Seca Blue 3-series among a bunch of other cars off in the distance, and know right away that it was no ordinary 325Ci/330Ci. Everything typified by that legend immediately came to mind- if you knew what you were looking at. To anyone else, it merely blended in- perfect for the guy driving the Bimmer.

Get what speaks to you.
Low-Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 12:18 AM   #27
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Although the PT DD40 is an aspirational piece for me, I dont know if I would be able to pull the trigger after owning the WG DD40. It is too similar and for the additional cost, I don't think I could justify it. I would say buy the YG at the right price and you wont take a bath on it if you make the move

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 02:06 AM   #28
worldfamoussam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
I'm fond of the classic YG DD for many reasons, not the least of which is the fluted bezel. The platinum is lovely, but I don't prefer the bezel to the YG. If you feel you love the platinum, go for the YG and save up to switch later ... the YG should hold its value nicely if you buy it well, and you'll have something to look forward to.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:21 PM   #29
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
I’ve only had one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 April 2020, 02:22 PM   #30
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
If you're already thinking about the upgrade, go for it.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote