The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2019, 12:36 PM   #31
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongg55 View Post
Hello,

I just bought a Panerai PAM 795, 8 days power reserve, from online store Jomashop. Everything about the watch look really nice and very solid but there's one thing that really concern me. After reading all the posts about manual winds of the PAM 795, the crown should stops when the power reserve is full. With my PAM 795 it shows that the power reserve is full but I can still keep winding the crown even though I can feel a little resistance. Is this normal or should I return the watch to Jomashop.

All advises are appreciated.
When you feel the resistance, then it is time to stop winding. At least, that is what I do with mine. I think if you keep winding after you feel resistance, then you can overwind and damage the movement. Just my take, not from personal experience, but from what I have read.
Old 2 July 2019, 12:45 PM   #32
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Just saw the 797 in real life yesterday, and must say that I was very impressed. I had gone to take a look at the 572 (Luminor 44 8 Day Titanium) which is not discontinued production, although my AD still has one available. I had sold mine and ended up regretting it. I loved the titanium with the brown dial.

Turns out, that I did the right thing by selling it. Now I have discovered the 797. I actually prefer it. For one thing, I love the brown dial with beige tinted lume, as opposed to the greenish lume on the 562. Looks a lot warmer. Also, I love the sandwich dial. I was contemplating getting a 564, for a bit of a change, as it has the small seconds. The 797 has that, as well as the power reserve indicator, which I find is a useful feature. When I had my 562, if I wanted to time it over 8 days, I always wrote down the date of the full wind. I will find the indicator useful.

From the photos, I thought the power reserve indicator might overwhelm the dial a bit too much, but in real life it is more subdued, almost looks smaller, and I must say gives the dial a bit more interest. And I don't mind extras on a dial, as long as they are functional and not must decorations.

Just thought I would share my observations. If it was not for the fact that I love the titanium, I would likely go for the Destro model.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 2 July 2019, 02:54 PM   #33
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Just saw the 797 in real life yesterday, and must say that I was very impressed. I had gone to take a look at the 572 (Luminor 44 8 Day Titanium) which is not discontinued production, although my AD still has one available. I had sold mine and ended up regretting it. I loved the titanium with the brown dial.

Turns out, that I did the right thing by selling it. Now I have discovered the 797. I actually prefer it. For one thing, I love the brown dial with beige tinted lume, as opposed to the greenish lume on the 562. Looks a lot warmer. Also, I love the sandwich dial. I was contemplating getting a 564, for a bit of a change, as it has the small seconds. The 797 has that, as well as the power reserve indicator, which I find is a useful feature. When I had my 562, if I wanted to time it over 8 days, I always wrote down the date of the full wind. I will find the indicator useful.

From the photos, I thought the power reserve indicator might overwhelm the dial a bit too much, but in real life it is more subdued, almost looks smaller, and I must say gives the dial a bit more interest. And I don't mind extras on a dial, as long as they are functional and not must decorations.

Just thought I would share my observations. If it was not for the fact that I love the titanium, I would likely go for the Destro model.

Cheers,
Carl

Nice report, thanks.

I agree, the brown dial + ecru lume + titanium is a really nice combo. I also like the idea of a PR indicator on the dial for an 8-day movement, and I really prefer it to “8 DAYS” on the dial with no indicator on the back.

My biggest question mark, not having seen one in real life, was how the three very different sets of hand would look. From what you wrote, it doesn’t seem noticeable in the real (compared to in photos)?

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2019, 10:45 PM   #34
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Here’s my 797 being worn in front of Caesars Palace, Las Vegas on Sunday (sorry about the blurry photo as I think I was probably still drunk from the night before) and another photo of it on a more sedate day in Durham, UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 02:38 AM   #35
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Nice report, thanks.

I agree, the brown dial + ecru lume + titanium is a really nice combo. I also like the idea of a PR indicator on the dial for an 8-day movement, and I really prefer it to “8 DAYS” on the dial with no indicator on the back.

My biggest question mark, not having seen one in real life, was how the three very different sets of hand would look. From what you wrote, it doesn’t seem noticeable in the real (compared to in photos)?

It is noticeable, easy to read, because the indicator hand and small seconds hand are white. I don't feel it clutters up the dial, mostly because, as you say, "8 DAYS" is gone from the dial. Kind of like when they put "AUTOMATIC" on the dial, not a fan of that at all.

Somehow, the indicator doesn't draw you in as much as in photos, at least that's how I found it. And as it is off center a bit, it does add some interest to the dial. For me, that is saying a lot, as one of my favorite watches is the PAM 721 anonymous dial with no text at all! Still, nice to have a bit of a change.
Old 3 July 2019, 02:41 AM   #36
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Dulwich View Post
Here’s my 797 being worn in front of Caesars Palace, Las Vegas on Sunday (sorry about the blurry photo as I think I was probably still drunk from the night before) and another photo of it on a more sedate day in Durham, UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the photos. I think these are the first wrist shots I have seen. I see it really looks good on the brown rubber strap as well. I'm not sure about the leather beige strap, though. At the boutique they have swapped it for a new gold calf tone on tone, with a pebbled finish, which I really like a lot better. They will do a swap at no extra charge as well. I am going back to the boutique today, with camera in hand, so will get a couple of shots.
Old 3 July 2019, 07:31 AM   #37
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the photos. I think these are the first wrist shots I have seen. I see it really looks good on the brown rubber strap as well. I'm not sure about the leather beige strap, though. At the boutique they have swapped it for a new gold calf tone on tone, with a pebbled finish, which I really like a lot better. They will do a swap at no extra charge as well. I am going back to the boutique today, with camera in hand, so will get a couple of shots.
Initially, I wasn’t sure about the beige suede strap either, however it has grown on me. I will be swapping the rubber strap for the beige strap once the British autumn kicks in. I wanted to try a blue rubber strap with the watch however it appears to be sold out everywhere.
Old 3 July 2019, 08:14 AM   #38
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Had to go back and take a look at the 797 today. The local boutique doesn't have a 796, so I still can't see the Destro in real life. Nevertheless, I want to stick with Titanium, and I liked this one even more today. I thought the PR indicator, especially being off center would bug me, but on the contrary. I really enjoyed watching the dial move as I would the watch. And the combination of the beige lume, brown sandwich dial, titanium case and the gold calf tone on tone strap they swapped for the beige strap at the boutique really looks amazing to me:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carl
Old 3 July 2019, 09:07 AM   #39
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Dulwich View Post
Initially, I wasn’t sure about the beige suede strap either, however it has grown on me. I will be swapping the rubber strap for the beige strap once the British autumn kicks in. I wanted to try a blue rubber strap with the watch however it appears to be sold out everywhere.
Panerai's selection of straps seems to be getting better all the time.

Apart from that, I tried the watch on again today. Never thought I would like or appreciate the power reserve indicator. Loved watching the dial move slightly as I wound the watch. To me, a welcome addition.
Old 3 July 2019, 03:10 PM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Had to go back and take a look at the 797 today. The local boutique doesn't have a 796, so I still can't see the Destro in real life. Nevertheless, I want to stick with Titanium, and I liked this one even more today. I thought the PR indicator, especially being off center would bug me, but on the contrary. I really enjoyed watching the dial move as I would the watch. And the combination of the beige lume, brown sandwich dial, titanium case and the gold calf tone on tone strap they swapped for the beige strap at the boutique really looks amazing to me:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carl

Seems like you know what needs to be done.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2019, 04:36 PM   #41
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carl
It looks really good on you. I like the off centre PR as it gives the dial character without cluttering it. I also like PR being on the dial as I know when I need to give the watch a good old wind.
Old 4 July 2019, 03:07 AM   #42
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Seems like you know what needs to be done.
Yeah, just a matter of time now! Soon as I get my funds together, I think this will be the one!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 9 July 2019, 06:05 AM   #43
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Quote:

Thanks for looking.
Cheers,
Carl

Saw this one in the flesh Saturday. Absolutely stunning, definitely a great addition
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 08:48 AM   #44
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Any more experience with the 795/796/797?
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 05:39 PM   #45
Tolex
Banned

Quote:
When you feel the resistance, then it is time to stop winding. At least, that is what I do with mine. I think if you keep winding after you feel resistance, then you can overwind and damage the movement. Just my take, not from personal experience, but from what I have read.
Actually he's right, i own the 795, and had exactly the same question, till one day i decided to continue winding it till i felt resistance - which never came even after 15 mins of winding.

Contacted the panerai boutique and the manager told me the mechanism is different for the 795/797, theres a clutch that will prevent overwinding, and you wont feel any resistance but can continue the winding forever.

Basically just wind it till the PR indicator hits 8 days, then stop.
Tolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:29 PM   #46
Jtyx
"TRF" Member

I have a 795. Solid purchase
Jtyx is offline   Reply With Quote