Old 4 February 2020, 09:38 PM   #1
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Panerai Vision 2020

Yup all,
Here are the CEO words (link).
44 new models, 10k average price.
8 years warranty for all the models with a special limited edition with...70 years warranty !

Feelings folks ?
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:41 PM   #2
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Ok. I look forward to seeing what they offer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 09:50 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sure glad the warranty follows the watch ... it’ll outlive me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 11:16 PM   #4
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Presenting 44 new models at this year’s Watches & Wonders? Is that a typo

Cheers,
Joe
Old 5 February 2020, 01:57 AM   #5
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

44...all special editions...haha
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #6
Perilei
"TRF" Member

Not good. Sounds like they want to make the most amount of money on as many « special» models. Are they going full Omega??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perilei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 05:58 AM   #7
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Per the article: “At Watches & Wonders we will be introducing 44 new models, with a new immersive booth, half digital, half underwater, including a real shipwreck.”

LOL @ the “real shipwreck”.....

Also, am I reading the article right? In the 2 or so years the CEO has been around average prices have gone from €7/8k to €10k? Because to “drive growth” without increasing output, he had to increase pricing? Brilliant!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:16 AM   #8
duc888
"TRF" Member

44 new models? Nice....chances are high for a new PAM I could like
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 06:54 AM   #9
onnomon
"TRF" Member

Guess he'll wreck Panerai like he did Roger Dubuis...gawdy quadruple tourbillions with styling comparable to those "medieval motor inns" I remember as a child. You know, the plastic torches on either side of the bed (Knight's Inn?)...imagine the same for a watch company!
It is unfortunate that conglomerates are only interested in profit without restraint. He's pretty straight-up about that precedent. IMHO the experience thing is borderline bogus...of course turning a wristwatch into a totem is great marketing tool. BTW I tried that by wearing a specific watch while my daughter was being born. In the end I traded that piece for something more calling. Maybe i'm a heartless bastard but no watch comes close to that actual experience...at least i got a couple of photos of my newborn "holding" the watch. She'll get something else when i'm ready to pass, something she will have grown up with.
Now, I love my Panerai (PAM 190) and I've had a few others. I think the styling (all models) is unique and will remain classic. The Carbotech models look pretty good so I'm not dismissing any of the advanced technology pieces. I simply see a future "vision 2020" of turning the brand into full-on farce (some think this happened years ago, or at least with the Due line).

Ok, time to get back to work. See you on the other side.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 12:43 PM   #10
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by onnomon View Post
Guess he'll wreck Panerai like he did Roger Dubuis...gawdy quadruple tourbillions with styling comparable to those "medieval motor inns" I remember as a child. You know, the plastic torches on either side of the bed (Knight's Inn?)...imagine the same for a watch company!
It is unfortunate that conglomerates are only interested in profit without restraint. He's pretty straight-up about that precedent. IMHO the experience thing is borderline bogus...of course turning a wristwatch into a totem is great marketing tool. BTW I tried that by wearing a specific watch while my daughter was being born. In the end I traded that piece for something more calling. Maybe i'm a heartless bastard but no watch comes close to that actual experience...at least i got a couple of photos of my newborn "holding" the watch. She'll get something else when i'm ready to pass, something she will have grown up with.
Now, I love my Panerai (PAM 190) and I've had a few others. I think the styling (all models) is unique and will remain classic. The Carbotech models look pretty good so I'm not dismissing any of the advanced technology pieces. I simply see a future "vision 2020" of turning the brand into full-on farce (some think this happened years ago, or at least with the Due line).

Ok, time to get back to work. See you on the other side.
Geez, you're depressing.....LOL. I dont share your view at all. It's all good.l though.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:29 PM   #11
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Presenting 44 new models at this year’s Watches & Wonders? Is that a typo

Cheers,
Joe
If true, it’s a disaster.

The luxury watch market craves less availability and focused offerings, not more and more.

The path to exclusivity through raising prices doesn’t work, especially when combined with such overproduction.

They will have to cull some AD, as if they don’t all those watches will flood the grey market at steep discounts. Nasty stuff.

Will there be factory Panerai outlet stores like Breitling and Tag have? Oh dear....

Panerai still makes great watches and the warranty upgrades are nice, but they are so out of touch with the market that it is genuinely concerning.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 01:31 PM   #12
avidflyer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Yup all,
Here are the CEO words (link).
44 new models, 10k average price.
8 years warranty for all the models with a special limited edition with...70 years warranty !

Feelings folks ?
Love my Panerai but hope its not 44...Way to many....
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 03:03 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
They will have to cull some AD, as if they don’t all those watches will flood the grey market at steep discounts. Nasty stuff.

He clearly says in the article that that’s the plan:

“‘We currently have 550 retailers: 400 multi-brand and 150 Panerai boutiques. We’re cutting back on the former and increasing the latter. We opened 15 of our own-brand boutiques last year,’” the CEO continues. There will be other targets, ‘such as airports: 50 airports account for 95% of traffic worldwide. That’s where we’re going.’”
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2020, 04:53 PM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
He clearly says in the article that that’s the plan:

“‘We currently have 550 retailers: 400 multi-brand and 150 Panerai boutiques. We’re cutting back on the former and increasing the latter. We opened 15 of our own-brand boutiques last year,’” the CEO continues. There will be other targets, ‘such as airports: 50 airports account for 95% of traffic worldwide. That’s where we’re going.’”
I did see that...at least he knows what will happen when they dump all those watches on AD's...

Hence my comment about Panerai outlet stores....where will all the unsold watches go?

Ultimately Panerai is a manufacturer and the watches HAVE to be sold, whether to the AD network or direct to consumer through boutiques.....so where will all the unsold product go? There will definitely be some because they are planning on opening the floodgates!!
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:56 AM   #15
onnomon
"TRF" Member

Don't let it get you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Geez, you're depressing.....LOL. I dont share your view at all. It's all good.l though.
Crappy work assignment, no wonder I wrote that. In the end we still have our Panerai watches, the feel, the look, the durability...and who cares if they are perceived as luxury watches, commando watches, fashion watches, etc. Reading that article kind of broke this camel's back about the Company direction and attitude. yes and I know about their previous transgressions (Think Brooklyn Bridge). But nothing changes between me and my 190.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 05:49 AM   #16
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

44 new watches... wow. The optimistic in me hopes it's 10 new models with 4 different options of dial color each.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 08:15 PM   #17
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
44 new watches... wow. The optimistic in me hopes it's 10 new models with 4 different options of dial color each.
I think so...but damn, 44 !
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:31 PM   #18
Pam673
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
44 new models???

Goddam supermarket business model

Pams are like groceries now...the more the better
Pam673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #19
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

If 44 new models is true, what a product dump. Even the grey's will hesitate until values bottom out.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 12:46 AM   #20
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Glad I sticked to 000 and 232.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 04:54 AM   #21
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Once again, trying to do too much instead of focusing on the basics. I absolutely appreciate Panerai experimenting with new cases materials and dials, but when someone announces 44 new models and already getting a sneak peak of the Carbotech Luminor that is being offered, it just looks like we are going to get a random assortment of case material and dials that we have already seen on the Submersible models (which itself is already a bloated lineup).

What I am optimistically hoping for is that among those 44 models are just reassigned PAM numbers to the combinations that have built the brand: steel cases, sandwich dials, few complications, now with entirely in-house movements. What I expect we will see are a ton of Carbotech, BMG-Tech, Luna Rosa, etc combinations in 44mm Luminor cases.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2020, 11:49 PM   #22
ct79
"TRF" Member

out of those 44 new models, can a few or at least one please be a wire lug radiomir in 42 mm. Something simple like the 610, not to thick and with a power reserve indicator on the back.
ct79 is offline   Reply With Quote