The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2022, 04:26 AM   #31
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv911 View Post
Interesting comment on the hue of the rose gold. I had the full RG GMT and it screamed pink to me and I declined it. I felt the two tone actually muted the 'pinkness' to more of a copper appearance.
Similar thought process to mine. The full PM is a spectacularly arresting watch but for me it does not sit so comfortably with the colour scheme as the TT. We should each make our own judgement.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 04:26 AM   #32
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Saw it at the AD in 2020 while picking up my TT Bluesy. The CHNR wasn't for me on picture. Things didn't improve IRL. It was sitting in the case, although It could have been for display only. I didn't try it on, no point. Coppery RG, brown bezel, dull dial. A strange combination, I found it depressing. I don't get the commercial success of this model. Must be something wrong with me

Not being a fan of rose gold, I think the watch needs a beautiful dial and bezel to balance it and make it pop, blue perhaps. Yes, a TT RG blue dial sounds a lot better to me.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 04:33 AM   #33
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all of the comments. It sounds like I need to find a way to try one on. I have a darker skin tone, so I think the RG would work well.

I live in DC area. My AD doesn’t have a demonstration model, but any other suggestions of where to see one?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 04:38 AM   #34
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Photo will certainly help but rootbeer is simply beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:05 AM   #35
Spartacus-1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 11CHNR
After a lot of reviewing photos and videos of the Root Beer, I finally advised my AD of my interest and was extremely lucky to have it on my wrist within a few months last year. Its a stunning watch, and so difficult to describe it’s colours, as it changes in differing lights. My daily beater is a Sub but I try to get wrist time every few days. I would say the rose gold scratches quite easily and I’m super careful. But I truly Love it.
Spartacus-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:29 AM   #36
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Thanks for all of the comments. It sounds like I need to find a way to try one on. I have a darker skin tone, so I think the RG would work well.

I live in DC area. My AD doesn’t have a demonstration model, but any other suggestions of where to see one?
This is another ancillary causality of the shortage of pieces at AD's worldwide.

Simply lacking the ability to see a piece in person, examine it, and try it on. I've been on the BLNR list for a long time, and have never seen one in person, let alone, tried it on my wrist. I finally got to try on a BLRO, and loved the fit and size, so I'm not worried anymore.

I love the CHNR, but don't think I would asked to be considered for one, just in case I didn't like it if I were lucky enough to get a call for it. I would hate to have to decline a piece I specifically asked for in fear of not being considered again.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #37
ganagati
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 Stealth View Post
Bought mine on Saturday. Warm, more subtle than full-gold. Combination works. A special watch.
"Warm and subtle" were exactly the words I planned to use.

It certainly stands out more than the steel or white gold; if you're comfortable with that, it's a great piece.
ganagati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:50 AM   #38
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
In my opinion the root beer is just right in size and not too flashy because of the 40mm case size.
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:51 AM   #39
Cryptochonos1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
But I will admit I am slightly biased as the root beer in full rose gold is one of my favorite Rolex’s
Cryptochonos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:03 AM   #40
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
This is another ancillary causality of the shortage of pieces at AD's worldwide.

Simply lacking the ability to see a piece in person, examine it, and try it on. I've been on the BLNR list for a long time, and have never seen one in person, let alone, tried it on my wrist. I finally got to try on a BLRO, and loved the fit and size, so I'm not worried anymore.

I love the CHNR, but don't think I would asked to be considered for one, just in case I didn't like it if I were lucky enough to get a call for it. I would hate to have to decline a piece I specifically asked for in fear of not being considered again.

If you didn’t buy it, I’m sure they could sell it immediately in short order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2022, 06:03 AM   #41
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
1)How does it compare to pictures?
2)is it too blingy/flashy? One of the reasons I got my Tudor GMT is that I think the bright colors of the BLRO are a little flashy. One of the reasons I think I’m drawn to the brown bezel is it seems more understated. But this is a gold (at least partially) watch. It can’t be that understated, can it?
3)do you think this could be a daily wearer?
4) never seen the rose gold in person. Is it more pink or copper?
I purchased mine on 2019. It is nicer in person than it is in the photos.It is not too flashy al all - on my opion. The rose gold is not flashy, and can be pretty subdued in certain light. It can certainly be a daily wearer. The rose gold is more copper/bronze than pink.
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:09 AM   #42
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
+1

I think it needs to be see in the flesh. Absolutely gorgeous. Especially on certain skin tones. If you have or expect to have other SS pieces it breaks up your collection nicely.

Great duo by the way. I’ve got the Deep Sea and hoping to add the Polar and Root Beer to complete my Rolex trifecta

Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:28 AM   #43
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
If you didn’t buy it, I’m sure they could sell it immediately in short order?

Absolutely. In about two seconds they could move it to someone else. My concern is that they would just offer that “someone else” every other piece that might interest me in the future. I just prefer being able to try a watch on in person and feel if it speaks to me. I love the CHNR, but from what I’ve read, it can be a bit of a polarizing reference.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:39 AM   #44
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelandy View Post
Great duo by the way. I’ve got the Deep Sea and hoping to add the Polar and Root Beer to complete my Rolex trifecta

Sounds great.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:42 AM   #45
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Absolutely. In about two seconds they could move it to someone else. My concern is that they would just offer that “someone else” every other piece that might interest me in the future. I just prefer being able to try a watch on in person and feel if it speaks to me. I love the CHNR, but from what I’ve read, it can be a bit of a polarizing reference.
I’m not sure it’s polarizing as most respondents have indicated they love it..
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:49 AM   #46
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Rootbeer is a beauty!

pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:50 AM   #47
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tek44 View Post
Photo will certainly help but rootbeer is simply beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

In this picture and light, the RG does look pretty understated.
Old 18 January 2022, 06:52 AM   #48
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Would anyone consider taking it off the TT bracelet and sticking it on a stainless steel oyster or jubilee?
Old 18 January 2022, 06:55 AM   #49
Rodolfo_4
"TRF" Member

I would recommend seeing it in person

It is not for everyone

The brown was not my taste, when I saw it on the flesh

It is nice, just not for everyone
Rodolfo_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 07:49 AM   #50
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Would anyone consider taking it off the TT bracelet and sticking it on a stainless steel oyster or jubilee?
I have seen this done with the Sub (Bluesy) Cool idea, but in the end it is not meant to be that way.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 08:07 AM   #51
GrantD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelandy View Post
That’d look a little like this, the DSSD was a little too top heavy for me so had to let it go.

GrantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 09:19 AM   #52
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

So, been wearing GMT’s most of my adult life.

Started with Pepsi, went Coke and finally settled on LN as being my daily work watch.

Then the CHNR was launched. Called my AD as I loved the mix of colours. A very unique blend unlike even the root beers of old.

Incredibly, my AD called me within a week as they had one come in. As soon as I saw it I knew I wasn’t leaving without it.

It’s a timeless classic straight out the box. Very unique, understated and oozing class, which is unusual for what is essentially a tool watch.

I still wear my LN as my daily when working, but outside of the work environment, I wear my CHNR in rotation with DJ’s and others from the collection, but the CHNR is a keeper.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 09:34 AM   #53
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Root Beer GMT

I wear my CHNR as my daily! Pretty much doing everything with it. In fact I like it so much I purchased the full gold model for special occasions!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 09:48 AM   #54
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie1 View Post
I wear my CHNR as my daily! Pretty much doing everything with it. In fact I like it so much I purchased the full gold model for special occasions!
Full RG looks stunning!
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 09:52 AM   #55
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

I've been using my CHNR as a daily in the fall and winter, and then the Sub Date for the spring summer. I could honestly wear the GMT every day because I absolutely love it. Put me in the camp of seeing is believing. The Root Beer is a perfect example of the watch being greater than the sum of its parts...

If you told me about a watch that was brown, black, and two-tone SS and rose gold I'd probably have no interest in it. But when you see it all together it just works. The rose gold is muted just enough by the SS to not be flashy or overpowering. And the brown on the bezel really works off of the RG accents. The whole thing comes together so well I think its a masterpiece.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this sacrilegious Rolex comment.. but I think the RB is a notch above the batman and pepsi.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 09:55 AM   #56
Reelandy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantD View Post
That’d look a little like this, the DSSD was a little too top heavy for me so had to let it go.

Wow. Thanks for sharing. Those three look great next to each other haha

Reelandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:01 AM   #57
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

My wife has one and I seethe, SEETHE, with envy when she wears it.

1) I’ve seen some greats pics here, but nothing compares to seeing one in person. It’s truly spectacular. It’s one of Rolex’s most interesting ref in a long long time.

2) More blingy than SS but much less blingy than YG. Rolex RG is more understated as any RG I’ve seen. Definitely not the “in your face” kind of gold you see on YG models. It’s more understated than AP RG.

3) Absolutely. It’s much more versatile than you’d expect. Goes well with pretty much everything.

4) it’s difficult to explain. It’s a rosy/copper. You need to see it in person.

Personally, I think it looks better on non-pasty white skin like mine but that’s just my opinion.

Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 11:38 AM   #58
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Anybody else try it on a leather band? It is a nice change!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rootbeer Leather Band.JPG (37.8 KB, 518 views)
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 11:55 AM   #59
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
Anybody else try it on a leather band? It is a nice change!
My heart just melted....I'm making a leather strap for mine tomorrow...
Old 18 January 2022, 01:01 PM   #60
Momentumwheel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot302 View Post
Personally, I think it looks better on non-pasty white skin like mine but that’s just my opinion.
I agree. The two tone CHNR really blends onto the wrist of those who tan easily or have a darker complexion. However, I have noticed that this phenomenon is dependent on lighting and orientation. At certain angles, the rose gold and ceramic “caramel” half-bezel really stand out. This becomes intensified when the interior lighting has a yellow color hue/temperature.

Im my opinion, the CHNR looks incredible from the wearer’s perspective and more spectacular from afar.
Momentumwheel is offline   Reply With Quote