The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 March 2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
100% Content w/My watch, who else?

It seems there are - at least - two distinct camps in our "society"

Those who wanted a certain watch for whatever period of time and now that they have it are 100% content with their choice to the extent that don't/won't wear, nor plan to, any other watch. I count myself in this group.

The "opposite", if you will, camp seems to be looking for their next watch the moment they take a new one out of the box.

It seems the difference is those who enjoy having vs. those who enjoy getting. Not that either perspective is wrong or right just different.

Thoughts??
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 04:26 AM   #2
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post

Those who wanted a certain watch for whatever period of time and now that they have it are 100% content with their choice to the extent that don't/won't wear, nor plan to, any other watch. I count myself in this group.

The "opposite", if you will, camp seems to be looking for their next watch the moment they take a new one out of the box.

It seems the difference is those who enjoy having vs. those who enjoy getting. Not that either perspective is wrong or right just different.

Thoughts??
i almost have a similar thread not to long ago.."how much do you really love your watch?" there are a lot of people here enjoy the hunt...hunting for the cheapest price and hunting for the desirable watch...then after buying them they wear it a couple of times then after that if there is a new watch comes out..they tend to sell their watch and hunt again...but majority of the people here are 100% contented with their purchases and keeps them...no matter how many your watch or you just own one if you are contented and happy with it....thats all it matters...
Old 6 March 2009, 04:37 AM   #3
rolexgiants
"TRF" Member

i have bought a few watches recently and now I AM FINALLY CONTENT.... I DONT THINK I WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER WATCH FOR A VERY LONG TIME. i have been wearing my gmt 2 16710 black bezel 24/7.... this watch goes with everything and i love that it is more comfortable on the wrist than the sub....
rolexgiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 04:48 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I've typically aquired and rarely got rid of any. I'm happy where I'm at now and hope to spend lots of time enjoying and not chasing.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 04:48 AM   #5
touchdowntodd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Sea Dwell
i can honestly say if my GMTIIc would be my only watch forever, i would be more than happy to strap it on daily.... im not sure it can get any better than this!
touchdowntodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 04:54 AM   #6
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I hear ya...I use to be in the 'love the hunt/always looking' group...but after my DSSD purchase, that has all stopped & I couldn't be happier. Kind of ironic that it happened w/ this watch as I still hear quite a few people saying they just can't see the DS as a daily wearer...for me, it's perfect & I love it more & more each day.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 05:11 AM   #7
Chris B
"TRF" Member

I'm totally happy with my watches, wouldn't dream of moving any of them

Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 05:30 AM   #8
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I buy ...sell ...and trade all the time, some of my watches are off limits.

Rolex 1675 GMT, TT Daytona(Zenith), Omega Speedmaster Pro (1866) Omega Speedmaster (MS Racing) Which I want to give to my son. 14Kt Astronaunt, 20th Annversary Speedmaster Moon Watch. That's about it the rest which would be about another 40 watches are fair game. (Including 18Kt Rolex Sub)
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 05:32 AM   #9
karmatp
"TRF" Member

I personally have a lot of respect for those who can find it inside themselves to be happy and content with what they have. Some times I think were in Jr. High and whoever has the best toys and the most of them wins. I have had periods of weakness were I have thought about buying a few more watches, then I realise that owning 2 is really my max. I admire other members collections but don't envy them, and I really love it when someone gets their first Rolex and enjoys it for life.
Old 6 March 2009, 06:09 AM   #10
aelvin
"TRF" Member

DSSD been on my wrist 2 weeks (sleep & bath), couldnt be happier and its surprisingly very comfortable.
aelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Solid choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgiants View Post
i have bought a few watches recently and now I AM FINALLY CONTENT.... I DONT THINK I WILL BE BUYING ANOTHER WATCH FOR A VERY LONG TIME. i have been wearing my gmt 2 16710 black bezel 24/7.... this watch goes with everything and i love that it is more comfortable on the wrist than the sub....
All black bezel? That's the one watch that, if I had to, would "replace" my Sub Date. They are, of course, very similar in appearance and my final decision was between those two.

The one I would like to have for alternate wearing with the Sub Date would be an SS Datejust, white face, stick markers.
Old 6 March 2009, 07:38 AM   #12
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelvin View Post
DSSD been on my wrist 2 weeks (sleep & bath), couldnt be happier and its surprisingly very comfortable.
x2 minus the bath for me haha

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Eli

Fine, I'll bite.

I'm usually in the clan of those who enjoy getting over owning. But lately, I'm extremely content with my collection of watches.

I guess it depends on how "into it" you are. When you browse threads of people getting this and getting that, it makes you want. When you stop doing that, you start enjoying what you have.

What also helps is not wearing a certain watch for a little while. My Daytona was in my bank safe for 3 months.. I just got it back and it's love all over again.

Right now, I'm 100% content.

I'm pretty sure this is all a case of 'the grass is always greener'. I'm also pretty sure this is the same for almost everyone... Excluding Gandhi and mother Teresa.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 11:04 AM   #14
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatp View Post
I personally have a lot of respect for those who can find it inside themselves to be happy and content with what they have. Some times I think were in Jr. High and whoever has the best toys and the most of them wins. I have had periods of weakness were I have thought about buying a few more watches, then I realise that owning 2 is really my max. I admire other members collections but don't envy them, and I really love it when someone gets their first Rolex and enjoys it for life.
Great post...so true in every regard. Cheers.
Old 6 March 2009, 11:11 AM   #15
postiff

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
i can honestly say if my GMTIIc would be my only watch forever, i would be more than happy to strap it on daily.... im not sure it can get any better than this!

I second that

If my GMTc was the last watch I buy I would be very happy. However with that said I am currently (wife does not know yet) on the hunt for a U serial (I think U) 1999 GMT master II Pepsi. That is my sons birth year and would like to find it now why it is still “cheap” and give it to him when he graduates High School. I Guess that means I should look for a Daytona for my daughter so she does not feel left out. Man this just never ends.
postiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 11:32 AM   #16
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I have sold two watches since I began my watch interest. The only reason I did was I made the mistake of not buying what I wanted first. Now that I learnt to control my impulses, I only buy what I know I will be happy with and keep.

I'm very happy with my Expy II and Pilot Chrono and will never part with either of them.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 11:35 AM   #17
LDLemu4U

Watch: GMT Master IIc
I'm Rolex GMT nut! and I'm still in the hunt for the models that I don't have yet..............and they are the 6542 (I don't think I can afford that one), the EXP II 16550 (maybe, at a reasonable price), GMT II 16760 "no date", and GMT 16700. There's others in my wish list and have never sold a single one I've bought.

I guess you can put me in the 2 camps.
LDLemu4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post

Thoughts??
Thoughts?
I think you don't have a clue. So why are you here? This is a site for those that care about watches and constantly explore new options as finances allow, or at least stay interested in what they might someday buy.

You sound like the guy(vast majority) that buys a Rolex for image sake and couldn't care less about the heritage, technology, or evolving trends in the industry -- generally the people that give me pause that I wear Rolex too.

Do you have the perfect house, car and stereo system that you are "100% content with" too? Do you publish a newsletter on how to reach this enlightened state?

Assured of no future temptations? You should pour yourself some brandy, pet you watch, go to bed, and find a new website in the morning.

If you know you'll never buy another watch, don't you have something better to do than reading about watches?
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 12:04 PM   #19
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I won't ever be satisfied.

How many Rolexes does it take to be content?

Just one more...!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 01:04 PM   #20
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Thoughts?
I think you don't have a clue. So why are you here? This is a site for those that care about watches and constantly explore new options as finances allow, or at least stay interested in what they might someday buy.

You sound like the guy(vast majority) that buys a Rolex for image sake and couldn't care less about the heritage, technology, or evolving trends in the industry -- generally the people that give me pause that I wear Rolex too.

Do you have the perfect house, car and stereo system that you are "100% content with" too? Do you publish a newsletter on how to reach this enlightened state?

Assured of no future temptations? You should pour yourself some brandy, pet you watch, go to bed, and find a new website in the morning.

If you know you'll never buy another watch, don't you have something better to do than reading about watches?
No offense Matt, but I've got to admit I was a little taken back by your response to Mark (Wooddog44). Am I missing something here? Maybe so 'cause I just don't really see the need for such hostility when the guy posted a simple question and even went on to admit that either 'camp' is not right or wrong...he sounds like he's just curious as to see what peoples thoughts were on the subject. Isn't that the point of a forum? Again, I must be missing something? Please help us out on this one.
Old 6 March 2009, 01:29 PM   #21
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
No offense Matt, but I've got to admit I was a little taken back by your response to Mark (Wooddog44). Am I missing something here? Maybe so 'cause I just don't really see the need for such hostility when the guy posted a simple question and even went on to admit that either 'camp' is not right or wrong...he sounds like he's just curious as to see what peoples thoughts were on the subject. Isn't that the point of a forum? Again, I must be missing something? Please help us out on this one.
Gotta agree! Not necessary.
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 01:41 PM   #22
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
No offense taken.
Seriously think about why you are here? Does it contain a shred of interest on what you might do in the future? Do you have even the slightest interest in what Rolex might do in the future and how it may influence what you might do in regard to watch buying? If you are done buying watches, why would you care?

This site is filled with lame confrontational statements caveated in the last sentence with a "nobody's right" remark in an attempt to hold one harmless to the challenges to the stupid assertion.

Read him again and tell me this translation is wrong. I have found nirvana and seem to find myself surrounded by those here that seem endlessly searching for the right watch. Not that there is anything wrong with those less certain about what will satisfy them, but I'm so sure of precisely what I need, I find this distinction amusing" Almost asking, you already bought your watch, what's wrong with you that you want to consider another? Not that it isn't okay.

My primary point is that if you wish to challenge behavior on a watch site where most people hang out because they care about their next purchase, say so. Don't add a chicken sh*t caveat to avoid challenges to your assertion.

Edit: And then a few posts later he mentions the watch he might buy as a replacement to his current watch under certain conditions that confirms he's not in the group he claimed to be in a few minutes earlier and negating his own assertion. Waste of time thread.
Old 6 March 2009, 01:51 PM   #23
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

The GMT IIc is about as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't be happier and I'm not lusting after another Rolex unless they offer some GMT bezel options in the future (ceramic pepsi, coke, etc).
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 01:51 PM   #24
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

The GMT IIc is about as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't be happier and I'm not lusting after another Rolex unless they offer some GMT bezel options in the future (ceramic pepsi, coke, etc).
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 02:14 PM   #25
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No offense taken.
Seriously think about why you are here? Does it contain a shred of interest on what you might do in the future? Do you have even the slightest interest in what Rolex might do in the future and how it may influence what you might do in regard to watch buying? If you are done buying watches, why would you care?

This site is filled with lame confrontational statements caveated in the last sentence with a "nobody's right" remark in an attempt to hold one harmless to the challenges to the stupid assertion.

Read him again and tell me this translation is wrong. I have found nirvana and seem to find myself surrounded by those here that seem endlessly searching for the right watch. Not that there is anything wrong with those less certain about what will satisfy them, but I'm so sure of precisely what I need, I find this distinction amusing" Almost asking, you already bought your watch, what's wrong with you that you want to consider another? Not that it isn't okay.

My primary point is that if you wish to challenge behavior on a watch site where most people hang out because they care about their next purchase, say so. Don't add a chicken sh*t caveat to avoid challenges to your assertion.

Edit: And then a few posts later he mentions the watch he might buy as a replacement to his current watch under certain conditions, basically confirming he's not in the group he claimed to be in a few minutes earlier.
We're all different...I guess I'm just not reading into it as much as you appear to be doing. Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...I've already said what I wanted to say as that was my original thought on the subject and nothing has changed since. Cheers.
Old 6 March 2009, 02:19 PM   #26
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
We're all different...I guess I'm just not reading into it as much as you appear to be doing. Either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...I've already said what I wanted to say as that was my original thought on the subject and nothing has changed since. Cheers.
Good night. I lose no sleep over this site or its posts either.
Old 6 March 2009, 02:20 PM   #27
m2steven

I was always content with one watch for 3 to 5 years. As my income rose, I started purchasing items formerly out of reach. Now i'm generally dissatisfied, not with my watches, but with my lack of wrists... I love them all. I just got a multi-thousand dollar YM the same day my Accutron Astronaut arrived and to be honest, they are both equally beautiful and exotic and it's very difficult to wear one and let the other sit...
m2steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 02:37 PM   #28
m2steven

BigHat: Didn't you overanalyse the original post a bit? Being apologetic amongst a diverse group of folks is generally the correct thing. People learned to do that years ago when saying the slightest thing would get you decapitated. In the civilized world it may get you sued, fired, or evicted. You are different. You want and for some reason need to kill the apologist who just wishes to dampen any psychotic responses he/she may have evoked. Unfortunately - psychosis is unpredictable.
m2steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 02:45 PM   #29
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Wow there is some hostility on this thread being bantered about!!! Everyone has a right to their opinion without being jumped on. To me this Forum is about sharing our love and enthusiasm for a common interest, the assimilation of information and excitement over our collecting pursuits. Also there is no right or wrong just opinions so why not set up win-win situations. I know I enjoy everyone's posts and feel connected through friendships formed and topics discussed. Why pick apart or berate someone for their personal comments when you can keep those type of responses to yourself.

Okay ,I'll get off my soap box now!!!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2009, 01:57 AM   #30
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Apologies

Quote:
Thoughts?

Maybe I posed this in a way that was difficult to understand. I will try and simplify the basic premise.

Before I actually got my watch I, as with some of the other objects you mentioned – house, car etc... – did an extensive amount of research into Rolex, the brand, history, models etc... This site, and the members, was very helpful in that process by the way. As a result of that research I decided that, for me, the Rolex I most liked was, and is, the SS Sub Date. I also liked very much the GMT II black/black but in the final decision the Sub Date won out. (You referenced a comment I made about that but if you read again, carefully, you’ll see that I would only choose another watch if I “had to”. I also liked a great deal the SS Datejust – my dad had one as does a brother in law – and if I ever were to get a second that would be it.)

All that said, each time I put on my watch I am reminded of all the reasons it was my first choice and I never feel, in any way, that perhaps there is a watch I would rather have. There seem to be a number of members here of a like mind in that for them, as for me, the enjoyment of owning a particular Rolex watch lies in being content with the one watch, among all others, that they have chosen.

There also seems to be a number of members for whom part of the enjoyment of the Rolex “experience” is in having/wearing/getting multiple watches – different models, bracelet/dial combos, etc...

While that is not what appeals to me my intention was to state my sense of enjoyment in having the watch I do and perhaps, by their responses, gain some insight into what others who feel differently enjoy about having/getting many different watches.

As far as continuing to read and post on the site, although content with the watch I have, I still find it a great place to learn about watch care, experiences others have had with their watches, watch industry news, and many of the other things that make this a great site for anyone interested in watches, and Rolex watches specifically, whether they have none, one or a thousand.

I hope that makes more clear my original position.