The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 November 2019, 09:58 AM   #61
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Long live TRF Seiko sub forum!
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:05 PM   #62
jim251
Banned

My first post here in years...

At its peak my little watch collection was 2x PP and 7x Rolex. As I entered retirement and contemplated the fact I had no son to leave them to I sold most of them off, leaving only an Aquanaut and a Hulk behind. All was well and I was happy living without the constant pursuit of my next watch.

Then my AD called in July with the BLRO I told him I wanted the day it was announced. Fab watch, love it, and it jumpstarted the whole watch-passion thing for me again. Then, out of the blue, I was offered what I considered "crazy money" for my Aquanaut, even though it was 8 YO, well worn and in need of a servicing. So I let it go, with no regrets, and bought a ND Sub, a watch I've loved forever, so much so that the Hulk is going to move on in life, as soon as I get around to it...

Now, as to Seiko...

My wife and I travel to Europe a lot and it has always been a struggle, at least for me, as to which watch(es) to take. A few years ago I even went with NO watch just because of where I knew I'd be (stupidest thing I ever did.) This year I took all that I have learned and made what has turned out to be an incredibly great decision... I bought an SKX007!

Now, after those 3 weeks of running around Paris with the SKX as my only timekeeper, my entire perception of what is great about this hobby has changed, and all for the better. The SKX is just a great watch and if I'm the last one to know this then I'm just glad I finally do. I will never sell this watch.

Definitely no more PP for me and am likely (wink, wink) finished buying Rolex. But I do have 2 more Seiko purchases planned and am looking forward to them as much as any watch I've ever purchased. Well, mostly. ;)

Anyway, here's my SKX007, my "Paris Watch" on an UncleSeiko Z199...

Best to all,
Jim

jim251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2019, 11:08 PM   #63
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Awesome post Jim. And welcome back!
Old 8 November 2019, 11:35 AM   #64
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim251 View Post

At its peak my little watch collection was 2x PP and 7x Rolex. As I entered retirement and contemplated the fact I had no son to leave them to I sold most of them off, leaving only an Aquanaut and a Hulk behind. All was well and I was happy living without the constant pursuit of my next watch.

Then my AD called in July with the BLRO I told him I wanted the day it was announced. Fab watch, love it, and it jumpstarted the whole watch-passion thing for me again. Then, out of the blue, I was offered what I considered "crazy money" for my Aquanaut, even though it was 8 YO, well worn and in need of a servicing. So I let it go, with no regrets, and bought a ND Sub, a watch I've loved forever, so much so that the Hulk is going to move on in life, as soon as I get around to it...

Now, as to Seiko...

My wife and I travel to Europe a lot and it has always been a struggle, at least for me, as to which watch(es) to take. A few years ago I even went with NO watch just because of where I knew I'd be (stupidest thing I ever did.) This year I took all that I have learned and made what has turned out to be an incredibly great decision... I bought an SKX007!

Now, after those 3 weeks of running around Paris with the SKX as my only timekeeper, my entire perception of what is great about this hobby has changed, and all for the better. The SKX is just a great watch and if I'm the last one to know this then I'm just glad I finally do. I will never sell this watch.

Definitely no more PP for me and am likely (wink, wink) finished buying Rolex. But I do have 2 more Seiko purchases planned and am looking forward to them as much as any watch I've ever purchased. Well, mostly. ;)

Best to all,
Jim

I love your post Jim. It’s great to read about all the great watch lovers being Seiko Pilled! Anyways. The skx is a great watch for sure. I’m excited to learn what your next two Seiko’s will be!
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 01:22 PM   #65
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Love the post Jim. Excited to see what you have in store. Also don’t let the hulk go. Think it’s worth keeping.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 02:12 PM   #66
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Jim,

Thanks for your post.

An inexpensive, value packed automatic Seiko diver will certainly make one question their watch collection decisions. I own a handful of skx divers and love to mod the snot out of them. May I suggest a Turtle or two? They offer hand winding, hacking, and are just as fun.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 02:31 PM   #67
Arcticangus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bb58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarm981 View Post
“I went into my local dealer and they told me 5 years for the snowflake” should I wait it out or go grey threads coming.
There are three at my local AD
Arcticangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 08:12 PM   #68
jim251
Banned

Thanks, guys... Don't know why but the pic has gone missing from my post above. Anyone know why this would happen? Let me try again from the host I used to use. I guess some things have changed around here...

jim251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:10 PM   #69
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim251 View Post

Now, as to Seiko...

Best to all,
Jim

Great post Jim, we need a like button here.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 12:34 AM   #70
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Great post Jim, we need a like button here.
Words well spoken Jim.
To paraphrase Chewy from another thread, “we’ll never look at a $10,000 diver the same once we have a Seiko”.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 01:35 AM   #71
JTL31

Seiko section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Just wanted to say thank you to the active peeps in here.....
Thank you as well. I have yet to encounter a thread title or response that is gender biased or has sexual innuendos involved. Much appreciated gentlemen!!!!!
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 02:01 AM   #72
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Awesome post Jim. And welcome back!
And now he is banned.
Looked up his recent posts and last post was him showing he paid for membership.
There are so many banned members all over. When you look them up and look at the posts they made, nothing seems wrong.
Are the offensive posts deleted once that person gets banned Adam?
Old 18 December 2019, 02:07 AM   #73
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
And now he is banned.
Looked up his recent posts and last post was him showing he paid for membership.
Somebody who posted in such a way has just been banned shortly after.
Sad.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 02:09 AM   #74
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
And now he is banned.
There are so many banned members all over. When you look them up and look at the posts they made, nothing seems wrong.
More than likely the account was compromised by scammers and had to be banned. At least, that's what has been happening a lot lately.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 08:21 AM   #75
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
And now he is banned.
Usually, yes they are removed. I don't know why Jim251 was banned, though there's always a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
More than likely the account was compromised by scammers and had to be banned. At least, that's what has been happening a lot lately.
Yes, most likely. A surprising amount of members give up their login details to phishing scammers, so we have to temporarily ban the account to prevent others from getting ripped off for thousands of $$$.
Old 18 December 2019, 09:47 AM   #76
Locust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Usually, yes they are removed. I don't know why Jim251 was banned, though there's always a good reason.

Yes, most likely. A surprising amount of members give up their login details to phishing scammers, so we have to temporarily ban the account to prevent others from getting ripped off for thousands of $$$.
What happens is someone sends you a private message telling you they want to trade a watch and click this link to see pics. You click the link and the phishing page looks like TRF login. So people enter their stuff. I’ve gotten I think 3 messages like that from listings I’ve had.
Old 18 December 2019, 09:58 AM   #77
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
What happens is someone sends you a private message telling you they want to trade a watch and click this link to see pics. You click the link and the phishing page looks like TRF login. So people enter their stuff. I’ve gotten I think 3 messages like that from listings I’ve had.
Yep, and people need to click the red triangle report button in the message window so we can act asap. We're getting a lot of these lately, but some don't bother or just leave a post about it which might not get seen by a mod in time.
Old 18 December 2019, 10:34 AM   #78
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my subs
I have to admit, this little group is a far cry from the ones who have to wonder if they can take their 10,000$ watch into the shower.
Thank you for your sanity!
incoming https://
arguscanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 11:47 AM   #79
pandrew6l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Nice going guys!!

Friendly discussion is encouraged!!
Hello Steve, is it possible to do an " After the Dark " style Giveaway of Seiko GS, to get people more interested in this Sub Forum ?
pandrew6l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #80
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Humorous post from the Rolex General Discussion forum today, I won't out the poster:

Quote:
The SKX is the only Seiko family member to own. And it's discontinued, so it will go up in value by at least 30% over the next few years.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 10:11 AM   #81
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
I dunno I miss the "what are you wearing/eating/driving/smoking whist looking at your college degree and wearing your Rolex?" threads in this section

only 2 Seiko's so far but there will be more

a save the ocean turtle on a strapcode jubilee bracelet and yesterdays arrival a new alpinist

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 07:15 AM   #82
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Bumping this thread. Given what is going on in the world, it strikes me as a good time to explore Seiko. You can get your horological fix at a fraction of the cost. I hope everyone is hanging in there.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 09:57 AM   #83
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Bumping this thread. Given what is going on in the world, it strikes me as a good time to explore Seiko. You can get your horological fix at a fraction of the cost. I hope everyone is hanging in there.
Hear, hear.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 10:02 AM   #84
Locust
"TRF" Member

Hope everyone is safe as well. Lots of amazing seikos coming down the pipe! I’m excited to see the green Williard. Life is definitely surreal. Wish everyone the best in this nuts time.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:30 AM   #85
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Thought I'd join in on this Seiko Section since recently acquiring this Presmatic 5106-9000.
Caught my eye and liking it. Looks in good shape in and out..
Getting caught up on its history and its relationship to it being the predecessor to future Hi Beat movements.
More questions/info in progress. Looking for a 'period' bracelet and wondering if a 17.6mm bracelet at the lugs would be
too loose (a 1.2 mm difference) or would a 17.9 mm bracelet be a better fit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200314_221225.a.jpg (59.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20200315_101728.a.jpg (72.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (217.8 KB, 36 views)

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote