The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 November 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
sdgadave
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710/SD43
Advice on shipping watches to buyers.

Hey all, going to sell my two watches and before I list them I have concerns as to shipping them to a buyer.

I know this comes up every now and again on here but how do the non pro sellers/enthusiasts ship a watch? I have been on the forum for a bit and have done research.

1) First and best way would be insure with parcel pro and next day air right? Problem is I have contacted them several times to see if I could reach a person that would set me up an account. No luck, only for established businesses. So they are out.

2) Next would be just us Fedex or UPS and ship next day. But you can not insure it, you can declare a value and pay but that is not insurance. Would you just overnight it and pray?

3) I have also checked a few 3rd party insurance for shipping and most are for business too. I did contact Navis shipping they have an office in my town, you drop off the package and they will ship insured. But the price was wow!

4) Next and possibly the safest way would be USPS Registered Mail. That seems fine and you can insure it but would take many days to get to buyer.

5) I have done face to face and that has been a pleasure to do so that is an option.

I have bought a watch and sent a watch to a trusted seller but they handled the labels (with parcel pro no doubt) and I just dropped it off.

How would you handle shipping? Would the buyer understand if registered mail was used? It would be told upfront. I just want to protect myself and the buyer as well

Thanks and sorry for the read but want to know and hopefully others will learn as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdgadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 09:36 AM   #2
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would use Registered mail, insured. And do not let the clerk talk you into certified or plain insured mail. They may try it, thinking you don't know the difference. Registered and insured.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 09:38 AM   #3
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I ship to the buyer’s nearest Fedex office after getting their OK. Shipped to hold for buyer and get their signature on receipt.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 10:56 AM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Advice on shipping watches to buyers.

Parcel pro still do personal accounts, guess you need to talk to the right person.

From the other options go USPS registered as the insurance rates of that service is actually cheaper than USPS Priority Mail or Priority Mail Express, but takes longer to receive as it follows a chain of custody from point to point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2019, 11:44 PM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
In the past I've shipped ups insured, although apparently some folks think it's not actually insured. Easiest has been when the butter supplies the FedEx label for me and handles it all.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:26 AM   #6
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Are the watches insured with say a Jewelers Mutual? If so they may be covered during shipping. I called and asked JM when I sent my last watch. They said I was fully covered so I didnt even buy Insurance through the shipper.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2019, 02:28 AM   #7
MSchu
Banned

Fedex next day standard (1500) or Priority (1030) is the best... with signature confirmation of course.
Always double box... like a Jewelry store.
One other thing... they DO NOT offer full insurance on Jewelry. you need your own insurance carrier for full value, or just leave it undeclared.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote