The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2019, 05:24 AM   #1
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Hearing Aids.

After many years in the army exposed to large bangs and the like, my hearing is quite poor, I also suffer from Tinitus so have decided that quality of life comes first and will be getting tested and fitted with some hearing aids. Having a look around the web, these things are not cheap, ranging from 1500 to 4 grand a pair so would appreciate any member that has any experience with hearing aids, could be personal experience or parents.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:31 AM   #2
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My hearing was diagnosed as bad as a 90year old. So at age 42 I started wearing hearing aids on both ears. Its expensive here in Canada - about cad$5k for a pair. I have accumulated about 3 pairs as backup.

It was bad at first because everything is magnified but you'll get used to it.
I use the in-ear ones but the one where the mic is behind the ears are more efficient but I get conscious about it specially when my hair is short.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:50 AM   #3
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
My hearing is shot also from explosions and gunfire.

Went to Boots for the hearing test and it was quite scary the difference when they fitted me a test pair in. Suddenly realise how bad my hearing is.

Felt really weird wearing them, which i presume you would get used to. I tried the behind the ear ones, quite small but felt huge and cumbersome.

Was thinking about the in ear ones, but all the in ear earpieces i have used at work over the years. They didn't last long due to the heat etc and made your ears fill with sweat! Nasty.

Wanted 5k for the behind ear digital ones, blue tooth ready etc!

Told them i would think about it. Continuing on in my deaf state much to the annoyance of my family. I do really need to bit the bullet and get some.

At home i wear Peltor electronic shooting muffs to watch the TV haha. Kids think i am mental.

Set of free NHS ones will do i think lol.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 06:07 AM   #4
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Same as you, Dave. The wife says my hearing is terrible but I just screen her out. lol
Seriously, I have been putting off the inevitable. Keep us posted on what you get.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 07:03 AM   #5
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I’ll be following this thread as well.
I have some tinnitus and struggle at times to hear conversations, especially if there is any background noise.
I blame my poor hearing on listening to very loud music through my headphones when I was a teenager.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 08:25 AM   #6
daveathall
"TRF" Member

I have a hearing test and consultation tomorrow, I will ask many questions about my lifestyle and wants, the place I am going offers a try first service. I will post my thoughts for those that may want to follow in a similar route.

Thank you all for your replies.

DAVE

Old 16 October 2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Case61
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have "adult onset deafness," meaning my hearing started to go when I was 35 for no apparent reason. It's gotten progressively worse over the years with about a 90% loss now (age 67). I'm close to stone deaf without hearing aids, and there is the related problem of loss of acuity (the ability to distinguish between sounds, which is not helped by increased volume.)

Anyway, I've been using hearing aids all this time, and experienced the changes as the capabilities and prices increased. I currently wear Widex, which, among other features, stream phone calls directly from my Iphone, which is a huge improvement. I was close to nonfunctional on the phone previously. They cost about 5k.

It's a bite, but generally speaking you get what you pay for. The key, I believe, is distinguishing between features you really need (like blue-tooth capability) versus those you don't (like having ten background frequency screens versus three).

OP, feel free to pm me if you want to have a more private discussion, or if there is any help I can provide as you deal with these issues. Good luck.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:23 AM   #8
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Case61 View Post
I have "adult onset deafness," meaning my hearing started to go when I was 35 for no apparent reason. It's gotten progressively worse over the years with about a 90% loss now (age 67). I'm close to stone deaf without hearing aids, and there is the related problem of loss of acuity (the ability to distinguish between sounds, which is not helped by increased volume.)

Anyway, I've been using hearing aids all this time, and experienced the changes as the capabilities and prices increased. I currently wear Widex, which, among other features, stream phone calls directly from my Iphone, which is a huge improvement. I was close to nonfunctional on the phone previously. They cost about 5k.

It's a bite, but generally speaking you get what you pay for. The key, I believe, is distinguishing between features you really need (like blue-tooth capability) versus those you don't (like having ten background frequency screens versus three).

OP, feel free to pm me if you want to have a more private discussion, or if there is any help I can provide as you deal with these issues. Good luck.
Thank you very much, I will certainly take you up on your kind offer after I have had my hearing test and discussion tomorrow. I really appreciate your kindness.

DAVE

Old 16 October 2019, 11:42 AM   #9
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Hey Dave my wife actually has to wear hearing aids in both ears at the age of 34, she has had them since her mid twenties. She uses the ones that are the over ear version which have the most features (blue tooth, tv settings, restaurant settings etc). Obviously they take some getting used to but it’s amazing how much she can hear with them compared to not wearing them. She has long hair so they get covered up and she is a little self conscious about them when her hair is up but it’s either that or not being able to hear anything.

She uses Siemens ones which all in all have been good they cost about 2.5k each so 5k total.
The only issue is how often she goes through batteries with the blue tooth enabled. Hers are also not waterproof (her previous versions were) so heads up for that as well.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions you would like me to ask.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 05:01 PM   #10
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Hey Dave my wife actually has to wear hearing aids in both ears at the age of 34, she has had them since her mid twenties. She uses the ones that are the over ear version which have the most features (blue tooth, tv settings, restaurant settings etc). Obviously they take some getting used to but it’s amazing how much she can hear with them compared to not wearing them. She has long hair so they get covered up and she is a little self conscious about them when her hair is up but it’s either that or not being able to hear anything.

She uses Siemens ones which all in all have been good they cost about 2.5k each so 5k total.
The only issue is how often she goes through batteries with the blue tooth enabled. Hers are also not waterproof (her previous versions were) so heads up for that as well.

Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions you would like me to ask.
That is really kind Manny, thank you very much.

DAVE

Old 16 October 2019, 09:24 PM   #11
THC

Watch: 16610M
Hearing aids are typically not covered by insurance here in the States, which is borderline criminal, imo.

Good luck Dave
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:18 PM   #12
mfer
"TRF" Member

I really don’t understand all the self conscious thoughts. When I’m old and need hearing aids I’ll get them. No different than glasses to me.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 10:28 PM   #13
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Appreciating the information in this thread. I have a long history of exposure to gunfire having been a special tactics cop/physician for 13 years. I have 24/7 tinnitus and a family history of presbycusis, hearing loss with age. It's gotten worse gradually, and I think the thing that will drive me to getting hearing aids is the difficulty I have hearing and understanding my grandchildren when they talk. I'm leaning toward in-ear devices.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2019, 11:47 PM   #14
daveathall
"TRF" Member

I had a hearing assessment this morning, the graph showing hearing, revealed that my high pitch hearing loss in both ears was classed as severe and just above the worst level of "profound." Because of the steep, almost vertical line downwards it was determined that the loss was due to large sound rather than age. My low pitch was good but it was explained to me that because background noise is in the low pitch spectrum it would drown out the start of word and the end of a word I was listening to in a close vicinity conversation in a restaurant (I hope that makes sense, it did to me and my wife at the time).

I was given some hearing aids to trial for a week, my goodness, how technology has changed, the aids were matched directly to the graphs of my hearing and Tinnitus was dialled in, it is a bit strange, I was told that it would sound a bit "tinny" at first and that seems to be the case. Everything is amplified, the rustle of my clothing, vehicle noise and wind noise, things that I haven't heard before are amplified, but apparently these will be "dumbed down" by the aid and by my getting used to the experience.

I go back on Tuesday for another consultation and to see if I can "get on" with these aids, they are the type that sit behind the ear and a small wire takes a further part into the ear, they have bluetooth and work with my phone, they are not cheap, these come in at about £4,000 ($5,100). I am at the stage that I need something to help with my hearing, so the price comes secondary, I am in a lucky position to be able to afford these, some people unfortunately are not, which is a shame. I am at the age where quality of life is important.

I will keep updating this thread and ask advice from those that have been kind enough to offer their help by PM or open forum.

DAVE

Old 17 October 2019, 02:49 AM   #15
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
About six years ago I had come to the point with my hearing that I had to use headphones to watch TV and understanding children was very difficult.
I guess this had come about from being in the regimental rifle team and then artillery fire all without ear protectors. I know some of my colleagues obtained a small pension but I never bothered.
So, it was to Boots for a session in the audio room and the fitting of a Phonak in the ear with the microphone behind the ear.
Now into my second set the Audeo B. Quite expensive at £4300 the pair but with the special discount(?) they were offering that week I paid £3094.
They certainly solved the TV problem and most of children’s talk as long as words are pronounced correctly and not slurred (common in a lot of lower quality movies)
And packed restaurants, cafes etc no real problem with background noise. The sound level is easily adjustable and I have no real complaints other than the amazing price for such a small item!
The only time I need to take special care is when out hiking and the dangers of walking past low lying foliage which can easily whip a hearing aid away. Happened on one occasion and I was lucking after sifting through long grass on hands and knees for quite a while to find! Not to be forgotten. Although I am surprised that most insurance companies will cover with no problem. But I guess the next premium would be a deal higher on a loss.
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2019, 03:43 AM   #16
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Dave,

Keep one thing in mind. No matter how good the technology, depending on your hearing loss, you may need to keep your expectations low.

My father starting losing his hearing about 10 years ago. He has had hearing aids from all the major brands ranging from 1k-5k and despite using all of them, he's never had great success.

The most important part to remember is that you need to be extremely detailed in your feedback. Make sure you are as precise as possible with the sound you are experiencing. Adjustments can help, but there is only so much a hearing aid can do. It can all be rather complicated because there are so many options between both the types of hearing aids and how they fit in your ears.

My dad has severe hearing loss. He uses a behind the ear style with a molded ear piece. He's getting by, but for the amount of money he spent, he thought it would be better.
Old 18 October 2019, 02:51 AM   #17
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Dave,

Keep one thing in mind. No matter how good the technology, depending on your hearing loss, you may need to keep your expectations low.

My father starting losing his hearing about 10 years ago. He has had hearing aids from all the major brands ranging from 1k-5k and despite using all of them, he's never had great success.

The most important part to remember is that you need to be extremely detailed in your feedback. Make sure you are as precise as possible with the sound you are experiencing. Adjustments can help, but there is only so much a hearing aid can do. It can all be rather complicated because there are so many options between both the types of hearing aids and how they fit in your ears.

My dad has severe hearing loss. He uses a behind the ear style with a molded ear piece. He's getting by, but for the amount of money he spent, he thought it would be better.
Excellent post, thank you, I understand exactly what you mean Syed, the earth shattering "I can hear again" moment has not materialised with the trial set I have been given, I was warned by the Audiologist that this might be the case. I would say that the differences are subtle, rather than obvious. I still need to try these until Tuesday. My wife keeps asking what I think, my answer so far has been "I don't know."

DAVE

Old 18 October 2019, 03:04 AM   #18
77T

My Mom had significant hearing loss and was never truly happy with the results of in-ear hearing aids.

She didn’t have the option of a trial set like you do, Dave. So you could choose to wait for a while if you’re not delighted. Technology might improve the fidelity and control that would make your experience superior to the current state of the art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 05:40 AM   #19
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
My Mom had significant hearing loss and was never truly happy with the results of in-ear hearing aids.

She didn’t have the option of a trial set like you do, Dave. So you could choose to wait for a while if you’re not delighted. Technology might improve the fidelity and control that would make your experience superior to the current state of the art.
Yes, I can Paul, now that I'm in my 60's though, I might not have that long.

It may be me, ya know, I remember the first time I got some eye glasses and walked out of the opticians, that was one of those moments, dare I say eye opening. I might have been expecting the same.

What I have noticed is that listening to good quality music through a decent quality system, it is better, I can hear more of the music.

If I am honest, I am not sure what I am expecting, I will persevere and on Tuesday, if I am not satisfied, I will try some from a different maker. I might not have not given these a long enough chance. We went for dinner at a restaurant last night with friends, I was hoping for more background noise but it was quite sedate and I could hear all the conversation from our table. What I did notice, was that on a couple of occasions I did say "sorry" or "pardon" when I had actually heard what was said. Strange, I must be so used to saying it.

DAVE

Old 18 October 2019, 05:49 AM   #20
77T

So that sounds like they are helping with the higher frequencies. And I’m guessing there is no other noise while listening to the music or other people talking.

At the restaurant, your experience may have been due to the sidetone signal level setting being a bit hotter than you need. It may have caused you not to hear nearby conversations because your own voice and the conversation at your table can overpower the the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 05:57 AM   #21
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Excellent post, thank you, I understand exactly what you mean Syed, the earth shattering "I can hear again" moment has not materialised with the trial set I have been given, I was warned by the Audiologist that this might be the case. I would say that the differences are subtle, rather than obvious. I still need to try these until Tuesday. My wife keeps asking what I think, my answer so far has been "I don't know."
Dave,

My dad had a similar experience to yours. He still uses them and I think he's gotten better at operating the controls for various situations.

After losing half my hearing in my left ear due to SCUBA diving and over 3 decades standing next to a drummer (even with earplugs for 20 of those years) it won’t be long before I have to check them out myself.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 06:42 AM   #22
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
So that sounds like they are helping with the higher frequencies. And I’m guessing there is no other noise while listening to the music or other people talking.

At the restaurant, your experience may have been due to the sidetone signal level setting being a bit hotter than you need. It may have caused you not to hear nearby conversations because your own voice and the conversation at your table can overpower the the amp.
Yes, you are completely correct Paul, my hearing loss is heavily in the high pitch area and I am alone listening to music.

These record what I am doing (listening to music, in a restaurant etc) so the Audiologist can fine tune the ones that I eventually get.

DAVE

Old 19 October 2019, 08:38 AM   #23
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Sorry that you're going through this Dave.
I hope you get some positive results soon.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 10:16 AM   #24
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Costco is in the UK right? Go
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 12:51 PM   #25
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Can we pivot and share what the initial very early symptoms were prior to people saying you might have a hearing problem? Was it ringing or something else? I’m curious about whether there’s a way to tell you could be due for issues or if it’s beyond preventive measures.

Thanks
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 05:25 PM   #26
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
Not that I know of, 2 wholesale that sell to trade as far as I can see.

DAVE

Old 19 October 2019, 05:28 PM   #27
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Can we pivot and share what the initial very early symptoms were prior to people saying you might have a hearing problem? Was it ringing or something else? I’m curious about whether there’s a way to tell you could be due for issues or if it’s beyond preventive measures.

Thanks
I'm not sure tbh, being in the army, I had many hearing tests and could see the gradual decline, there probably were signs, I either didnt see them or have forgotten. What I will say is, take good care of your hearing, take no chances, once damaged, it can't be repaired.

I'm sorry, not much help in my answer. If you do have concerns, I would get hearing checked straight away.

DAVE

Old 19 October 2019, 05:39 PM   #28
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
There is, although i have not seen hearing aids for sale. Maybe in the opticians area. Will look next time i am in there.

Edit: Just checked online there and they do apparently sell them in the UK
Old 19 October 2019, 09:24 PM   #29
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
There is, although i have not seen hearing aids for sale. Maybe in the opticians area. Will look next time i am in there.

Edit: Just checked online there and they do apparently sell them in the UK
I Googled it before, must admit, I only saw 2 distribution places. Is it cut price? If so, I would rather pay full price and get quality and service and after service.

I stand corrected.

DAVE

Old 19 October 2019, 09:45 PM   #30
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Yeah not sure what after service etc would be like from Costco on something like this.