The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2022, 12:24 AM   #61
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Most significant in what way?

I should probably clarify my response by substituting “most significant chronograph” with “most significant autosports and racing” watch. Previously, it could be argued the TH Monaco was the most significant in that sector. But the Daytona eclipsed it in the late 1980s and has never looked back.

For over 35 years, the preeminent racing watch is the Daytona … and only the Daytona. It is sought after by every professional racing driver to amateur driver. It is the most sought after by the auto enthusiast crowd - whether they be racing fans or guys who like to tinker with cars/bikes.

Watch geeks think they “choose” the most significant watch in a category … but they don’t. The enthusiasts of that activity/sport/event do. For example, watch geeks did not declare the Submariner as the most significant “dive watch” — divers did. If watch geeks had a say, it probably would have been the Blancpain fifty fathoms. But divers overruled watch geeks and made the Submariner legend … the watch geeks followed.

Likewise, auto enthusiasts declared the Daytona “the racing watch” and the watch geeks followed. Because the fan base of racing far exceeds the fan bases of diving, pilots/flying, mountaineering, spelunking, and even the space program … the racing community, watch geeks, and public at large catapulted the Daytona to the most significant and desired watch of the past35 years (obviously, the chronograph is the de facto complication of racing watches) … long before the recent hype and fervor over watches.

That, my friend, is how it’s most significant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:40 AM   #62
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Have a 430xi M Sport. Some friends asked me why I didn't get a base 440 for a few extra dollars. Bottom line at this stage in my life, it served no desire I needed to fill. Sometimes it's that simple with watches. Getting it a MSRP is one thing. Paying $50K is something else. No judging those who do. For me, my Tudor Panda and "lesser" car is more than enough.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:20 AM   #63
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB crono beats Daytona *video*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1isgod View Post
Have a 430xi M Sport. Some friends asked me why I didn't get a base 440 for a few extra dollars. Bottom line at this stage in my life, it served no desire I needed to fill. Sometimes it's that simple with watches. Getting it a MSRP is one thing. Paying $50K is something else. No judging those who do. For me, my Tudor Panda and "lesser" car is more than enough.

That is the difference between an “enthusiast” and a more casual “participant.”

Whether it is high fidelity (these $2,000 speakers sound almost the same as those $15,000 Magnaplaners), art, wine, or ____substitute anything_____, the true enthusiasts will not be satisfied with a “lesser” option in that category. Of course, ability may dictate an enthusiast’s ability to participant/acquire ... making him/her a frustrated “enthusiast.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #64
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

I understand your perspective. Admit once spending $15K for JL woofers, Alpine V12 amps, etc. for a single car, so I am guilty of not "settling" one upon a time. Glad those days are over.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:48 AM   #65
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Tudor BB crono beats Daytona *video*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1isgod View Post
I understand your perspective. Admit once spending $15K for JL woofers, Alpine V12 amps, etc. for a single car, so I am guilty of not "settling" one upon a time. Glad those days are over.

That is why it’s called a “sickness” or “addiction.”

Old 21 January 2022, 01:51 AM   #66
VegasBaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Have you seen the GT4RS?

But yes I get what you are saying
https://images.app.goo.gl/13njm9HhzAyN6dof6
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Caymangt4 RS.jpeg (237.2 KB, 39 views)
VegasBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:20 AM   #67
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantD View Post
Go for a vintage Tudor as there are some great deals out there, Rolex case and oyster bracelet with a bullet proof Valjoux 7750 plus date. Love the vintage look

Agreed, especially the small block 79270.
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:51 AM   #68
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
Agreed, especially the small block 79270.

I do regret selling my full package 79260. Wish I kept it. Was serviced and sorted by Rolex when I purchased it off this forum. And now the prices are more than double I see.

I have an eye on another one again, but makes me sick paying double.

Old 21 January 2022, 06:55 AM   #69
OverGeared
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Daytona >>>. These videos are coming out now just to spite Rolex.
Watchfinder has a lot of terrific videos on the history and inspirations of luxury watches, and their regular podcast-y videos have a much more casual, conversational tone on various current watch designs and topics. But at the same time, they have a tendency to lean too hard into the fact that they probably get twice as many clicks on any video that mentions the Daytona, and adding a confrontational title to the video likely boosts engagement even more (see also: this thread.)
OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote