The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2022, 01:33 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I understand and appreciate the OP rant but ‘free soeach’ and private property rights and opt-in applications really needs to be explained better these days.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:39 AM   #32
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s different for everyone Randy. I just wish the forum wasn’t as dominated by the investment threads as it is now.

I joined here to learn about the brand, and share my enthusiasm for mechanical watches for the pure joy of owning and wearing them.

Sure it’s nice to know they hold their value, but that’s about where it ends for me. YMMV
Agree Brian. I too feel it's become a bit much.

Certain members keep bumping value threads just to try and inflate values, basically just using TRF.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:45 AM   #33
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
I could have (and should have) spoken more clearly in my original post... Yesterday a new member asked questions about the future value of a Rolex watch he had acquired, and at least a half dozen long-timers stomped on him pretty hard, one calling him "stupid," another mentioning his mental health, and a third questioning his intention for joining the forum in the first place. I was reacting to that. It wasn't that I was objecting to a new thread that I could just quietly ignore (which is great advice and something I do). Rather, I'm concerned about how we welcome (or, as I said, the opposite) newcomers who dare to mention the investment side of what is obviously an appreciating asset.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:53 AM   #34
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
I could have (and should have) spoken more clearly in my original post... Yesterday a new member asked questions about the future value of a Rolex watch he had acquired, and at least a half dozen long-timers stomped on him pretty hard, one calling him "stupid," another mentioning his mental health, and a third questioning his intention for joining the forum in the first place. I was reacting to that. It wasn't that I was objecting to a new thread that I could just quietly ignore (which is great advice and something I do). Rather, I'm concerned about how we welcome (or, as I said, the opposite) newcomers who dare to mention the investment side of what is obviously an appreciating asset.
This is a different topic altogether.

This place once had thicker skin and quite frankly, reading the rules (especially being a new lawyer, one of the examples you mentioned — c’mon — it was teed up for all) is really quite basic and you’re reminded to read them when registering.

But you’re right, and I agree that being mean isn’t right and it should be called out. But you should also expect the gears if you walk in it.
Old 21 January 2022, 01:59 AM   #35
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
This is a different topic altogether.

This place once had thicker skin and quite frankly, reading the rules (especially being a new lawyer, c’mon — it was teed up for all) is really quite basic and you’re reminded to read them when registering.

But you’re right, and I agree that being mean isn’t right and it should be called out.
Elwell said and I entirely agree my furry friend.

This forum should be a welcoming and friendly place to all.

I'm sure a few of those type responses are built up from reading hundreds of investment threads, with what seem to be never ending frequency. Thats no excuse, but simply a net effect

Everyone should be welcomed and treated respectfully.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:00 AM   #36
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:

In principle I fully agree with you on this, but then I don’t really have an issue with people giving consideration to future resale value when spending a big lump of cash on a luxury product, in fact it would arguably be reckless not to for most of us.

But equally, I can understand why it gets tedious for some folk, and we all have our triggers! My trigger is entitlement, and those that come on here to bemoan the fact that they can’t buy something they want, and how it’s not fair!! Arguably I should sympathise, but it drives me nuts.

Is nice to be nice, and generally speaking the majority of folk on here are pretty decent and generous with their advice and hard-earned knowledge, but you have to expect to get burned a little when first joining a forum, it’s part of the process!

Good on you though for looking out for new members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:03 AM   #37
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Everyone should be welcomed and treated respectfully.

Does that apply to Chewie each time he returns????

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 21 January 2022, 02:08 AM   #38
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Personally I'd be happy if investment and pricing threads were not on the forum. And now that I think about it, no:
- Scratch elimination/avoidance and film protector threads
- Making up for one's lack of self confidence by asking random folks opinions as to watch choice, trades etc.
- Here's a photo of my new watch - look at me and my watch in an exclusive location
- I hate AD's
- I love my AD
- Ditto for resellers

But my better side recognizes that the forum is for a variety of people and interests - often different than mine, so let it roll.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:11 AM   #39
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
For the record, I've bought many incredible watches through the years, and I've never sold a single one. With that said, yes, I'm tired of people who demonize those who "ADMIT" (as if there's something nefarious to admit there) that they truly love — but still avidly track the market prices for — their Rolex watches. Such individuals pretend that one can't truly care about and appreciate intrinsic technical and aesthetic distinctions without completely ignoring free market economics. In their most malignant form, these politically correct Stasi resort to ridicule and outright abuse — and need to stop.
You're overstating the situation.

Relax. Enjoy your watches and do your thing.

There's no reason to invoke Godwin's law.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:12 AM   #40
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by token74 View Post
does that apply to chewie each time he returns????

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
reported!!!

And it was ONE time! Arrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!
Old 21 January 2022, 02:21 AM   #41
Cru Jones

It’s not about “political correctness”. It’s about the vision some have as to what TRF traditionally has been about.

Overall, I tend to think any kind of “watch talk” is better than no talk. And it’s not hard to tune out the “noise”. ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:28 AM   #42
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
reported!!!

Maybe he meant every morning?????

Welcome back today Chewy. MORNING....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWZFXLpXSA
Old 21 January 2022, 03:01 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Maybe he meant every morning?????

Welcome back today Chewy. MORNING....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWZFXLpXSA

Aaaarrrrggghhhh! This place it make me age!!!!
Old 21 January 2022, 03:17 AM   #44
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
reported!!!

Lol

Old 21 January 2022, 05:00 AM   #45
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
For the record, I've bought many incredible watches through the years, and I've never sold a single one. With that said, yes, I'm tired of people who demonize those who "ADMIT" (as if there's something nefarious to admit there) that they truly love — but still avidly track the market prices for — their Rolex watches. Such individuals pretend that one can't truly care about and appreciate intrinsic technical and aesthetic distinctions without completely ignoring free market economics. In their most malignant form, these politically correct Stasi resort to ridicule and outright abuse — and need to stop.
Few people know about the Stasi these days and how bad they were. to the old Stasi, which I always say when I hear of them brought up in conversation.

Bringing it back to watches... I tend to agree with you. I've seen some pretty rough statements from people who make a lot of assumptions about the intentions of those asking questions that affect them as they are looking to acquire, own, or sell watches. A lot of times, their questions can be answered by a basic search of the forum, but that's no reason to unload on them.

The good thing about TRF is that the mods do a good job of keeping things on an even keel.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:15 AM   #46
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
One man's "Investment" is another man's "Watch" and if you happen to have the connections, finances and time to be a flipper then have at it.

I have to believe that if most people were given the opportunity to buy something low (especially that is in high demand) and sell it for a nice profit by simple posting an ad would do it. Personally I don't have the contacts and I have not sold or flipped a watch but I get why people do.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:18 AM   #47
Goin2drt
Banned

Meanwhile I sure wish Rolex would give a now discontinued WG Sub to a famous "influencer". I need a better investment here and as of now I did not do well
IMG_7811 (1).jpg
I think Kim K would lot hot in a blue sub although I am more of a Salma Hayek type.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 06:20 AM   #48
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I agree 100% with the sentiment...but am not bothered by the supercilious ramblings and pontificating any longer and don't really care if they continue or stop.

It's usually the same grumpy old men. If it's not investments, it's the feigned disgust with watch winders, caring about scratches, caring about a watch size or insisting that life is too short to wait more than a week for a watch.

Rant on purists...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This!
Old 21 January 2022, 06:28 AM   #49
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I haven’t purchased any watches with intent to sell, and have only purchased my first watch from an AD. However I have sold most of them once I realized they didn’t satisfy me the way I had anticipated. Most of them took a loss when sold prior to the boom, a few have made things right after the boom.

As far as their appreciation, I just see it as a way I can further enjoy the hobby and get a new watch by trading my current watches and their improved value.
Old 21 January 2022, 06:51 AM   #50
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Agreed. There should be a place to ask these questions.
I've offered to pay for it(!) too.

Nad, nothing, zilch.

<crickets>
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:42 AM   #51
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Eh, ignore them and keep procuring BTC.

HODL

Ooops, meant to say TRF could VERY EASILY have a sub-board for those topics / discussions. Not sure why, yet TRF doesn't.... Maybe TRF is stuck without a decent programmer or software? Has TRF maxxed out their capabilities and abilities?

Why mods / Steve? How about a few good reasons why there's no separate board for such discussions? Have offered $$$ to have it done, and... nothing, nada, zilch.

Back to you Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I've offered to pay for it(!) too.

Nad, nothing, zilch.

<crickets>

Keep this up, and see where it gets you.....
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:46 AM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I sometimes wonder simply why is appears to hard to just be nice....

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:46 AM   #53
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
[/B]

that was funny!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 08:20 AM   #54
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
[/B]

Yes dear, you're right dear.

Said my peace.

So, the Buccaneers and Brady. GOAT!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 21 January 2022, 08:24 AM   #55
NYMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675, 116518
Quote:
It’s different for everyone Randy. I just wish the forum wasn’t as dominated by the investment threads as it is now.

I joined here to learn about the brand, and share my enthusiasm for mechanical watches for the pure joy of owning and wearing them.

Sure it’s nice to know they hold their value, but that’s about where it ends for me. YMMV
The reason it's so dominated by investment threads is simply the absolutely ridiculous prices on all pieces. It's a farce at this point that asking prices are increasing faster than just about any other products available in the market today. It will cool down a bit for most models, but it's like winning a lottery ticket today getting models that were up until a year ago, in great abundance. So naturally money's on people's minds.
NYMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 09:18 AM   #56
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
The reason it's so dominated by investment threads is simply the absolutely ridiculous prices on all pieces. It's a farce at this point that asking prices are increasing faster than just about any other products available in the market today. It will cool down a bit for most models, but it's like winning a lottery ticket today getting models that were up until a year ago, in great abundance. So naturally money's on people's minds.
Great points.

(Bit of humor and truth-ish) I see most newbies fan flipper value player socialista as three-headed aliens destroying a part of humanity's soul in the most gutwrenching way. Worse still, they'd even hustle out their own brother for the latest drop.

Frankly, and this is not humor... Thank goodness we have AD's and those who act as a kind of 'gatekeeper'. How about we send the Aliens into high-end audio. Play it LOUD. Bass wars makes a comeback and all that.

Old 21 January 2022, 09:21 AM   #57
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

Agree.

But OP, I will give you your due. There is no excuse to be rude when people say something we would rather not hear.

And I also consider it bad taste to poke fun at Chewie for his sabbatical at the Himalayan Ashram. We all seek enlightenment in our own way.
Old 21 January 2022, 09:42 AM   #58
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree.

But OP, I will give you your due. There is no excuse to be rude when people say something we would rather not hear.

And I also consider it bad taste to poke fun at Chewie for his sabbatical at the Himalayan Ashram. We all seek enlightenment in our own way.
I thought I saw him at the Burger King drive thru during his hiatus ...

Old 21 January 2022, 09:51 AM   #59
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMike View Post
I get that Mike, most everyone here does.

It just makes it all the more disheartening to those of us who buy our watches to wear and enjoy and to hear them talked about solely in terms of investment value.

Again YMMV and to each their own
Old 21 January 2022, 10:27 AM   #60
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree.

I was in Newark sleeping in a dumpster!!!

Quote:
I thought I saw him at the Burger King drive thru during his hiatus ...

Sent from my SM-G960W using 2 cans connected with string
Who the hell has money for Burger King!!! I need $236,749.00 for a Daytona!!!!

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!!!! My head hurts!!!!! You all age me!!!!!!