The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2022, 08:21 AM   #61
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Maybe this explains the population growth in Florida and Texas.

It stinks that you have to think like this, but obviously you have reasons. Stay alert.

That being said, I think is someone was going to mug someone for a Sub, they would do the same for a Tudor BB58.
I just returned from a 6-month ban for voicing my opinion on why CA is going down the dumps, so mum's the word, haha. And yes, a part of me does feel like the Tudor BB58 (especially on bracelet) is too Submariner-esque to qualify for the function I'm seeking. My heart doesn't want it to be so, but my head tells me it is. Perhaps a good compromise is finding an aftermarket strap that I like; the stock strap options don't appeal to me.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:22 AM   #62
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Not too long ago, I had very little fear of anyone, but at 59 and still recovering from open heart surgery, things are different.

Fortunately, I feel totally comfortable wearing a Rolex where I live. There is really nothing to be concerned about at all.

However, if I’m walking around in NYC, LA, Philly, London, other European cities, etc., I’d just wear my Apple Watch. 5 years ago, I’d laugh at someone that said this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:26 AM   #63
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
I just returned from a 6-month ban for voicing my opinion on why CA is going down the dumps, so mum's the word there, haha. And yes, a part of me does feel like the Tudor BB58 (especially on bracelet) is too Submariner-esque to qualify for the function I'm seeking. My heart doesn't want it to be so, but my head tells me it is. Perhaps a good compromise is finding an aftermarket strap that I like; the stock strap options don't appeal to me.

My wife is in Real Estate and the housing boom in FL is mind boggling. Nothing like in 2005, these buyers have the money.

I personally like the look of the rubber straps. Best of luck in your decision.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:28 AM   #64
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Not too long ago, I had very little fear of anyone, but at 59 and still recovering from open heart surgery, things are different.

Fortunately, I feel totally comfortable wearing a Rolex where I live. There is really nothing to be concerned about at all.

However, if I’m walking around in NYC, LA, Philly, London, other European cities, etc., I’d just wear my Apple Watch. 5 years ago, I’d laugh at someone that said this.

Indeed, LA is night and day from what it was just 5-10 years ago. I’ve never even considered moving until the last few years.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:37 AM   #65
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
See above re: estimating actual risk of rare events.

You don’t think that Tudors have been stolen because no one has reported it on this forum or in the media? The only watches you ever hear about being stolen are Rolexes and the occasional Richard Mille. What’s more likely: that those are the only watches stolen, or that the media only chooses to report on super expensive watches, or watches the public knows. I imagine there are literally hundreds of watches stolen every day that aren’t Rolex

As far as the dozens of reports you hear about being targeted, what percentage of all the Rolexes in existence do you think have been stolen in this manner? Or what percentage of all robberies do you think involve a Rolex? If it’s one-hundredth of one percent I would be shocked.

And ten years ago things were different because there wasn’t a 24 hour news frenzy or the internet reporting literally everything. These things happened. You just didn’t hear about them.

Do what you want to make yourself comfortable. But let’s not make it out to be some post-apocalyptic hellscape out there.
In 2021 we had the most murders ever recorded in cook county, fact. Most major cities in the US experienced the same. Let’s not make it out to be very good either. I personally have stopped wearing my pieces when walking around outside.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 08:50 AM   #66
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Robbery, burglary, larceny and property crime were all down. Despite increase in murder.

If you don’t want to wear your watch in public, more power to you. And I’m all for reasonable precautions. But for the average Rolex owner going about the typical daily activities of an average Rolex owner, the chances of being targeted for your watch are very, very low.

A lot of this is media hysteria, and I hate feeding into that, because bad things usually come from hysteria, that’s all. But I’m relatively new here and I will shut up.

Have a good day everyone.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:53 AM   #67
winst
"TRF" Member

A question about the Tudor BB58 in light of the recent swell in Rolex muggings

Quote:
I just returned from a 6-month ban for voicing my opinion on why CA is going down the dumps, so mum's the word, haha. And yes, a part of me does feel like the Tudor BB58 (especially on bracelet) is too Submariner-esque to qualify for the function I'm seeking. My heart doesn't want it to be so, but my head tells me it is. Perhaps a good compromise is finding an aftermarket strap that I like; the stock strap options don't appeal to me.

There are great aftermarket straps around at a fraction of the price of Tudor Straps. Get a BB58 on bracelet and keep the bracelet for periods and occasions where you know you are less at risk.

winst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:05 AM   #68
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb_29 View Post
I've been in Cancun several times, diving there with my DSSD and Sub on my wrist. Nobody will mug you there. Cancun is pretty safe place.
I’d like to wear my Daytona, but flashing a white collar years salary in the 3rd world doesn’t seem like a great plan. In any case I just wanted this watch anyways so why not justify it a little lol. Crime is pretty low, but not non-existent if you happen to go out at night etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitadine View Post
Which PAM reference is this?
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:21 AM   #69
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Hey, easy with Philly.. I wear my Rolex all the time...in the house..
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:36 AM   #70
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
If you’re in a risky environment, I’m not sure if the crooks will differentiate between a BB and a SubC.
Agreed.
Old 21 January 2022, 11:44 AM   #71
Mick006
"TRF" Member

For me, the concern is the ability to replace the watch. I have a Tudor gmt as a travel watch because it is a gmt, nice watch, and can be easily replaced at retail. Although insured, that’s not the situation with my others.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:54 AM   #72
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Uncle Seiko
Old 21 January 2022, 11:58 AM   #73
Jollyb
"TRF" Member

I own a Sieko Submariner ( my buddy calls it my fako) great watch actually. It's solor powered , never needs anything. Cost $400. I love that watch.
Jollyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:02 PM   #74
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Shiny on wrist in the wrong part of town and you are a target.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:16 PM   #75
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

I treat my Tudor BB the same as my Rolex. I am generally careful with my watches. if I need a tool watch for a hard job G-Shock is what I choose to go for. I don't think to crooks Rolex Sub or Tudor BB makes difference to them. to common people and majority of people out thete, over a thousand dollar price tag watch IS an expensive watch.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:35 PM   #76
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
My main concern as always been personal safety, not ever replacement of a watch. I would think Rolex or Tudor, in the wrong place at the wrong time, will not make any difference.
Old 21 January 2022, 07:01 PM   #77
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Any watch is a potential target if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, if you’re worried about losing your luxury watch then don’t wear it buy a cheap Casio or Seiko or something that if it gets taken isn’t going to be an issue.

I sometimes wonder if there is any common sense in some of these threads.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 08:51 PM   #78
johnwigan
Banned

Definitely safer wearing a Tudor or probably anything other than a Rolex. Your average scumbag recognises a Rolex, and maybe a submariner in particular. They see £10,000 on your wrist.

A scumbag in my hometown spotted someone in the pub wearing a Rolex Submariner. Scumbag called his scumbag mates to meet the victim when he left the pub. They beat the victim to death for his watch. Victim is now dead, for wearing a watch.

My hometown is not a particularly dangerous or lawless place. Just an average small town in England. I would not walk around town with a Rolex on display. Long sleeves only. But I would with a Tudor. However, you can't be too safe, don't have valuable items on display. You are more likely to be targeted.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 10:55 PM   #79
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
Definitely safer wearing a Tudor or probably anything other than a Rolex. Your average scumbag recognises a Rolex, and maybe a submariner in particular. They see £10,000 on your wrist.

A scumbag in my hometown spotted someone in the pub wearing a Rolex Submariner. Scumbag called his scumbag mates to meet the victim when he left the pub. They beat the victim to death for his watch. Victim is now dead, for wearing a watch.

My hometown is not a particularly dangerous or lawless place. Just an average small town in England. I would not walk around town with a Rolex on display. Long sleeves only. But I would with a Tudor. However, you can't be too safe, don't have valuable items on display. You are more likely to be targeted.
That is a sad story I hope that they caught the scumbags who committed this crime.

But we have to remember that there are hundreds of thousands of Rolex watches being worn in the UK on any given day, tragedies that you mention are truly awful but thankfully not the norm.

When wearing anything expensive it pays to be wary of your surroundings and take sensible precautions, long sleeves for example is a good point.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:12 PM   #80
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash66 View Post
My main concern as always been personal safety, not ever replacement of a watch. I would think Rolex or Tudor, in the wrong place at the wrong time, will not make any difference.
It makes a difference. Everyone in the world knows Rolex, knows how expensive they are, knows what they look like.

Outside this forum I find that very little is known about Tudor. I have owned two Tudors and literally not a single person that has ever asked about my watch or I have ever talked to about watches has even heard of Tudor. In the U.S. it is practically an unknown brand among non-enthusiasts. Same thing with Grand Seiko.

Rolex makes you are target, period. I've been in areas wearing a Rolex where I've casually pulled my sleeve down over it, or even put it in my pocket instead of my wrist. Just be aware of your surroundings. No watch is worth your life and right now Rolex is a very hot commodity, in a way that no other brand can match.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:27 PM   #81
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lage View Post
As has been said, you can be robbed regardless of what watch you're wearing, but even disregarding this, I suspect that a BB58 is too similar to a older generation sub to be safe. From a distance it basically looks like a classic sub - enough to get the wrong kind of attention. It's not like a robber will return the watch to you when he discovers that it's just a Tudor.

If hesitant, it's probably better to wear a plastic Casio or something similar that no one can confuse with something more expensive.
Quote:
Sadly, I tend to agree with this, and this is why I’m so conflicted about it qualifying as something that flies under the criminal radar. It’s exactly what appeals to me about the BB58, it’s like a vintage Sub fitted with modern tech.

I own an original BB Red w/ the ETA movement which ironically seems to get a pretty decent amount of looks and comments on its own…especially when it’s on an Extra beefy black Maratac NATO! Multiple times I’ve been randomly hit up w/ something like “Wow that’s a really cool looking watch…what kind of watch is it?”

So on that note, I’ve decided I’m not so much less likely to be robbed of that watch, as I am just less likely to be quite as anguished over its loss if it were to happen. Really just risk mitigation of the lesser of 2 evils I suppose. I should also state, I tend to leave it at home and wear one of my Rolex Subs…because I still honestly believe the safest place for my watch is on my wrist!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:40 PM   #82
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Many saw the video of the guy who fell asleep in the DC hotel lobby and another guest took his GMT right off his wrist. You have to always be aware. In that situation, I would have took it off and put in pocket (he got there at 2am but couldn't check in).
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:50 PM   #83
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
absolutley less risk i would say. risk - reward for the jail time lol
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 03:37 AM   #84
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I have never given much thought to the possibility of being mugged. Although I am aware of my surroundings, If I need to go somewhere, I just go. I never worry or even think about what watch I'm wearing. Of course being a military combat vet, If someone wants my watch bad enough they are more than welcome to try. The old saying " if you look like food, you will be eaten " is something to consider.

My watch, wallet, necklace etc. Never had a issue or even felt a circumstance that I was concerned about being harmed or mugged no matter where in the world I was.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 03:53 AM   #85
SaintMickey
Banned

I wear my Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Tudor and Zenith everywhere. I don't flash them and I am very situationally aware.

Its no way to live worrying about being "mugged" and if it gets to that point then you should sell them all. Statistically you should never ever get into an automobile God forbid rid a motorcycle etc.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 06:32 AM   #86
outlaw468
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Definitely safer than a Rolex. It's what I use when I'm in need of a "beater" that I wouldn't mind losing.

I second this.
Old 22 January 2022, 07:16 AM   #87
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

Ran into a situation recently that made me rotate out my ceramic ones for a Luminox Navy Seal. I have always been a little blase about it but have a different perspective about it now. I think it’s worth a little caution especially if you have family with you. I am the last person one would consider as a target as well. Criminals are openly brazen and surprisingly young and move around in large groups at times. Ceramic catches the eyes different under lighting than a standard stainless steel bezel without cyclops.
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 10:41 PM   #88
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
That is a sad story I hope that they caught the scumbags who committed this crime.

But we have to remember that there are hundreds of thousands of Rolex watches being worn in the UK on any given day, tragedies that you mention are truly awful but thankfully not the norm.

When wearing anything expensive it pays to be wary of your surroundings and take sensible precautions, long sleeves for example is a good point.
One was jailed for 13 years. One received a nine-year sentence. Another got six years and and the fourth got eight years. They'll be back on the streets shortly, looking for their next victim. The criminal justice system in England is a joke.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote