The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 November 2023, 12:39 PM   #1
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Patek 5270/1R ?s

OK so the grail watch conversation came up and I asked them to qualify obtainable grail or total unrealistic grail? They said unrealistic but not vintage and I quickly said the 5270/1R I love how it's sporty (as a Patek GC can be) and it can be elegant on the bracelet or on a strap. Even if I wore it on a strap the majority of time Id still want the bracelet option.
Well later on in the day I started thinking about my collection and realized if I sold what I never wear and a couple pieces I rarely wear this is something I could actually make happen as crazy as that is to realize so a few questions to those of you who own six figure watches (my most expensive is a YG DD40)

Do you wear them often or do you worry about safety etc? Or do they go unnoticed more than a DD or YG ROO?

Do you find yourself paranoid about hitting/dinging it (Ive never really worried but don't tend to be a klutz/putz)

Part of me says do it and wear it, most people are likely to not even look twice while a YG DD draws looks everywhere.

I know I wont miss the pieces I sell as Ive been telling myself to sell them forever but Ive been lazy and I take lousy pics LOL!!!

Just looking for feedback on the watch and owning a watch of this level.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2023, 02:01 PM   #2
byow
"TRF" Member

The « excitement » you feel the first time you have an « expensive » watch tends to vanish with time. The only thing that remains is the pleasure you have when you look at your watch, hold it and/or set it.

The way you wear it depends on the above: at first, you may be extremely cautious with your watch. After a while, you will get used to it and will naturally find how comfortable you feel about wearing it every day in any situation.

If your grail watch is the 5270, you should go for it. Only you will be able to tell, as time passes by, if you adore your watch and how often it puts a smile on your face.

(5270s are definitely something that « those who know » will notice. Nowadays, Instagram extended the number of persons « who know ».)
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 01:58 AM   #3
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I looked hard at the 5270 and the 5170P and the later was my choice. I much prefer the 39mm size for a dress watch, the blue dial with diamond markers is spectacular and it feels great on the wrist. Simple, just time and chronograph.

Certainly both are great watches.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:50 AM   #4
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I looked hard at the 5270 and the 5170P and the later was my choice. I much prefer the 39mm size for a dress watch, the blue dial with diamond markers is spectacular and it feels great on the wrist. Simple, just time and chronograph.

Certainly both are great watches.
I've been eyeing 5170g recently, agree with you on the 39mm size and the lower asking prices certainly don't hurt either
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 02:51 AM   #5
WatchTimes

Can you take the bracelet off on the 5270/1R?

Old 23 November 2023, 03:02 AM   #6
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I remember at the height of the Nautilus, a 5270 1/R was going for about the same price as a 5711. I was trying it on and talking to my SA, why would anyone pay 200k for a 5711 when they can get a 5270...
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2023, 04:43 AM   #7
WatchTimes

OK just saw you can take the bracelet off but the pushers on the case there stick out and it just looks off with a strap.
I love the black dial but feel the bracelet is too bling to wear casually daily.
I wish they offered a black dial version on a strap.

Old 23 November 2023, 10:09 AM   #8
WatchTimes

Im kinda warming up to the 5172G but I just think black is more versatile, am I wrong?
Perhaps I'll go with it in hopes of Patek releasing a black dial 5270 down the road and upgrading into it.

I looked at the 5170 with the black dial but just like the updated numerals and lume on the hands of the 5172 much more.

I think the 5270/1R looks great on the bracelet and I am a bracelet guy but just don't know if it would look too "bling" for casual daily wear. I saw pics of it off the bracelet and I just don't think it would look good on a strap with the pushers protruding from the case.

Old 2 December 2023, 12:22 PM   #9
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Patek 5270/1R ?s

I wear my 5270J or 5370P about 85% of the time.

I wore my 5370P every day on an 8 day trip to Australia, HK, SG. I’ve worn it to London, ATL, NYC, all over continental Europe, MX, etc.

I wore my 5270J on a couple trips the past month. Spain (including BCN), Czechia, Poland, Austria, London, Mexico City, etc.

No worse for wear.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote