The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2022, 01:55 PM   #301
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
That black 116500 that David put up for sale 2 days ago at around $40k is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's back up again, now at $42,875.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 02:09 PM   #302
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
That black 116500 that David put up for sale 2 days ago at around $40k is gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
It's back now at $42,875.
Believe it or not, it's a different one. The one up currently is stickerless from 2021. The other was listed as "NOS," had most stickers in place, and was from 2018. I swear, 116500 prices went up again TODAY. It's wild.
Old 20 January 2022, 03:59 PM   #303
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
David probably has a safe full of ss Daytona’s and is just listing 1 or 2 a day, the price on these rise everyday, so I can’t blame him.
That doesn’t mean he’s not selling a dozen per day at his storefront, or email/phone transactions etc…
I wouldn’t judge his inventory by his website or TRF listings. Just my opinion though!
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 09:17 PM   #304
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
My issue is that the price of my 2018 116500 is starting to encroach on the price of that new blue dialed WG Pepsi …

Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 10:02 PM   #305
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Paul Thorpe says Watch Finder UK are refusing to buy any steel or TT Daytonas, they are not asking for a price or making an offer on them. He's of the opinion they have so many although they are not posting them on their website
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:05 AM   #306
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Quote:
My issue is that the price of my 2018 116500 is starting to encroach on the price of that new blue dialed WG Pepsi …

Why is that an issue? Trade for the WG if that’s your preference… if not, just keep enjoying the 500!

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:02 AM   #307
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:

this is aan issue for me i think PM pieces will have to rise profoundly soon, because the gap is too small. id trade while i could .
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #308
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
this is aan issue for me i think PM pieces will have to rise profoundly soon, because the gap is too small. id trade while i could .
This exactly. The PM prices usually follow suit
Old 21 January 2022, 01:16 AM   #309
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My issue in part is that, while I don't really like the Daytona design, I would miss the watch and regret selling it. And I'd never be able to replace it. At the same time, I'm in the position where I could easily afford a new WG Pepsi, but I'd much prefer to buy one from an AD (less to do with the $14k price difference to TS and more to do with the fact I just like being the first owner ... as dumb as that will sound to this board).

But the convergence of valuations is creating that temptation nonetheless.
Old 21 January 2022, 01:21 AM   #310
illiguy

Quote:
My issue in part is that, while I don't really like the Daytona design, I would miss the watch and regret selling it. And I'd never be able to replace it. At the same time, I'm in the position where I could easily afford a new WG Pepsi, but I'd much prefer to buy one from an AD (less to do with the $14k price difference to TS and more to do with the fact I just like being the first owner ... as dumb as that will sound to this board).

But the convergence of valuations is creating that temptation nonetheless.
Life’s short. I assume you can buy BNIB from a grey and you would still be the first wearer of the WG Pepsi.

Like the DaytonaC, but at its market value there’s a lot of great PM or even high horology watches you could convert into.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:42 AM   #311
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

DAVIDSW running out of Daytona to sell

Quote:

I just reached out, but the trade offer wasn’t enticing so I will continue to try to get the WG Pepsi from an AD.

Old 21 January 2022, 03:40 AM   #312
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
He's out of Datographs too and almost completely out of Lange. I guess that means these will be 20% higher next week??? This whole thread is a big "lol wut" as my kid might say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Careful what you wish for lol that’s not far fetched
Holy smokes you're right! No too long ago greys were giving these away for $40k unworn.

https://www.takuyawatches.com/produc...anty-full-set/
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:13 AM   #313
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeyetuna View Post
Agreed, this is a normal market. I bought my 116250W from DavidSW in June of 2009. That was near the bottom of the absolute worst market in any of our lives. The Great Recession was brutal. I lived in NYC at the time and there was still no walking into Wempe or Torneau and getting a stainless Sub or Daytona. They still smirked if you asked for one. The waiting list during the worst market ever was still forever.

If you wanted a stainless Sub or Daytona, you had to pay a gray market guy a premium. Lehman's office was 6 blocks from Tourneau.

I paid DavidSW $11,250 June 2009 when that piece retailed for ~$9,000.

Thanks TRF!

Stainless subs were in many cases around the country until as recent at 2018-19.

In 2014 I spent a lot of time in Manhattan and you could have virtually anything this side of a stainless Daytona or 5711 blue simply by asking. 116610LV were in many cases as were 116710LN and 114060 and if you were lucky you’d find a blnr which was all the rage (more so than the 116520). AP 15202st were in cases at multiple ADs. Anything Patek aside from 5711 blue. Etc

I was offered a 116520 white from my AD after purchasing a blnr (at a discount) in 2015 and declined because at 11500 USD I could find one cheaper from TRF. They wouldn’t discount it.

The market shifted entirely around 2017 and hockey sticked towards the end of 2020 - early 2021.
Old 21 January 2022, 04:18 AM   #314
dal1234
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,VC,SUB,GMT,PAN
God knows who are buying these SS pieces when you can have gold for a close price
dal1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 04:29 AM   #315
baamvino
"TRF" Member

this is just madness.. will never buy SS pieces at that price range
baamvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:34 AM   #316
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaUser View Post
Thank you for an interesting reply.

My position is that MSRP is artificially low and Marketprice the real value.
I have no problem with that and the fact it changes daily like most other things on a free market where buyers set the price.

Who are you to say what is the right or wrong reason to pay any amount for any object as long as the transaction is legal

I think we will have to agree that we dissagree.
Let's just remind ourselves what the "Marketplace" vs Market Pricing.
it's the entirety of all potential buyers of a Daytona against all the available Daytonas, with, assuming Rolex knows it's business, the MSRP set at the optimum spot, so about !3K.

I'd also argue that we are not in a free market, because the supply of Daytonas has been intentionally surpressed. ( as far as we know, Rolex has not cut supply )‚
a) grays are hoarding and, allegedly, collaborating to drive availability artificially down (DavidSWs' full safe vs available on website?)
b) people who would normally sell a unwanted watch, are instead holding it hoping for a further increase in value.
c) people who would not normally be a buyer for a Daytona, entering the market, to buy it as a potentially increasing asset- don't care about it being a watch, might as well be a spanner.

We are in the lower right of the traditional supply/demand graph.
There may only be 100 people willing to pay $50k, 20 at $60k, 3 @ $70 etc
It's that last person willing to pay ridiculous money that's ultimately setting the current price.

Once the pool of people willing to pay silly money is satisfied, then prices will have to start dropping to move inventory.
People holding their watch as an asset will see the value start to decline and will sell.
Grays will then have the choice of also selling before the value of their inventory plummets, or buying up more stock to prop up the price.
Old 21 January 2022, 11:11 AM   #317
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Let's just remind ourselves what the "Marketplace" vs Market Pricing.
it's the entirety of all potential buyers of a Daytona against all the available Daytonas, with, assuming Rolex knows it's business, the MSRP set at the optimum spot, so about !3K.

I'd also argue that we are not in a free market, because the supply of Daytonas has been intentionally surpressed. ( as far as we know, Rolex has not cut supply )‚
a) grays are hoarding and, allegedly, collaborating to drive availability artificially down (DavidSWs' full safe vs available on website?)
b) people who would normally sell a unwanted watch, are instead holding it hoping for a further increase in value.
c) people who would not normally be a buyer for a Daytona, entering the market, to buy it as a potentially increasing asset- don't care about it being a watch, might as well be a spanner.

We are in the lower right of the traditional supply/demand graph.
There may only be 100 people willing to pay $50k, 20 at $60k, 3 @ $70 etc
It's that last person willing to pay ridiculous money that's ultimately setting the current price.

Once the pool of people willing to pay silly money is satisfied, then prices will have to start dropping to move inventory.
People holding their watch as an asset will see the value start to decline and will sell.
Grays will then have the choice of also selling before the value of their inventory plummets, or buying up more stock to prop up the price.

Why do you assume there is a static, limited pool of people willing to pay silly prices ? If that pool is larger than the number of watches available at silly prices, or that pool keeps getting replenished, then we will not see any substantial decline in current prices. It’s been years now that people have said prices are at their peak, and yet they keep going up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:13 AM   #318
peb35
"TRF" Member

Will also never buy at grey market, even thought I have a lot of options here in HK, but yesterday my AD called me and confirmed I will get my SS Daytona this first semester :-) They next one is for me, it's confirmed, and I am happy.
I am waiting since March 2016, so a 6 years waiting time for me. I never gave up :-)
peb35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 11:16 AM   #319
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Curiously watching watch market as stock market corrects…. We wont know the effects for a little while but i am sure it will spill over into this
Old 21 January 2022, 11:43 AM   #320
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

He's got a couple for sale now. One white and one black dial. David seems to be doing just fine.
Old 21 January 2022, 11:45 AM   #321
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

The SS Daytona pre ceramic and Ceramic has always been treated different by Rolex from the very beginning. The SS Daytona were never in the watch case and were always held in limited numbers from the very beginning when every other model sat in the case and could be purchased at a discount. This goes decades before the current mainstream craziness that is currently on all Rolex models including the most common SS DJ41. Regardless what the mainstream models do (and they are way high$$) the SS Daytona has and will always follow a different path and uses a different set of rules from Rolex. There is nothing to be surprised about given that main stream pop culture outside the watch world has now pushed it into mythical status.
Old 21 January 2022, 12:47 PM   #322
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Stainless subs were in many cases around the country until as recent at 2018-19.

In 2014 I spent a lot of time in Manhattan and you could have virtually anything this side of a stainless Daytona or 5711 blue simply by asking. 116610LV were in many cases as were 116710LN and 114060 and if you were lucky you’d find a blnr which was all the rage (more so than the 116520). AP 15202st were in cases at multiple ADs. Anything Patek aside from 5711 blue. Etc

I was offered a 116520 white from my AD after purchasing a blnr (at a discount) in 2015 and declined because at 11500 USD I could find one cheaper from TRF. They wouldn’t discount it.

The market shifted entirely around 2017 and hockey sticked towards the end of 2020 - early 2021.
I sure remember those days!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:56 PM   #323
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Paul Thorpe says Watch Finder UK are refusing to buy any steel or TT Daytonas, they are not asking for a price or making an offer on them. He's of the opinion they have so many although they are not posting them on their website
I saw that video , I reckon they just have a shortage of cash as they also said they would be happy to trade against other models they have in stock
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:31 PM   #324
tymonster
"TRF" Member

Over it. There are more than 300 116500LN and 250 126710BLRO listed on Chrono24. No one's running out of hyped watches. Scrolling through 6 pages of ceramic Daytonas is nauseating. Yawn. And the prices are all over the place. A dealer in Turkey has a white dial listed for $61k. Good for him! I feel for anyone who even considers spending that much on a modern steel watch that lacks a meticulous hand finished movement and case.

There's just too much money floating around and businessmen like DSW with the ability to hold influence over the market. It's not gonna change, and I don't hate on DSW in the least. I got my SD4K from him a few years ago. Called to inquire on one with my son's birth month/year on the card that I saw listed one day and not the next. Chris told me the online inventory rotates all the time and doesn't reflect near the amount of watches they have on hand. This was 2019. Practice holds true today and will be even more exaggerated.

And while I was "lucky" enough to get a BLRO through my AD, I feel for everyone on the Rolex train. I'm on the train too but it's coming to station.

Meanwhile I just clicked "Add to cart" on a Cartier Santos this morning and it'll be delivered to my door tomorrow. Cartier e-Boutique. What a concept.

I walked by the Cartier section at my local AD, got some enjoyment out of looking at the 30 or so watches they had on display, got bored at work later on, remembered the display didn't have the ADLC/steel model I wanted, jumped on the computer - dopamine hit for the month of January, complete.

This post has no point. I'm just looking forward to the day we can all get back to talking about watches and celebrating more and more incomings while not speculating about the game.
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:40 PM   #325
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymonster View Post
Over it. There are more than 300 116500LN and 250 126710BLRO listed on Chrono24. No one's running out of hyped watches. Scrolling through 6 pages of ceramic Daytonas is nauseating. Yawn. And the prices are all over the place. A dealer in Turkey has a white dial listed for $61k. Good for him! I feel for anyone who even considers spending that much on a modern steel watch that lacks a meticulous hand finished movement and case.

There's just too much money floating around and businessmen like DSW with the ability to hold influence over the market. It's not gonna change, and I don't hate on DSW in the least. I got my SD4K from him a few years ago. Called to inquire on one with my son's birth month/year on the card that I saw listed one day and not the next. Chris told me the online inventory rotates all the time and doesn't reflect near the amount of watches they have on hand. This was 2019. Practice holds true today and will be even more exaggerated.

And while I was "lucky" enough to get a BLRO through my AD, I feel for everyone on the Rolex train. I'm on the train too but it's coming to station.

Meanwhile I just clicked "Add to cart" on a Cartier Santos this morning and it'll be delivered to my door tomorrow. Cartier e-Boutique. What a concept.

I walked by the Cartier section at my local AD, got some enjoyment out of looking at the 30 or so watches they had on display, got bored at work later on, remembered the display didn't have the ADLC/steel model I wanted, jumped on the computer - dopamine hit for the month of January, complete.

This post has no point. I'm just looking forward to the day we can all get back to talking about watches and celebrating more and more incomings while not speculating about the game.

There’s only 37 116500ln white dials readily available for sale in the USA

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:47 PM   #326
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Take all those listings, and call the cheapest 25% of them. They have all "just sold" earlier that day or whatever and if you can give them your info they'll try to find you another one...

Then call the most expensive 25% and they're just fishing for a sucker willing to pay and they'll have you one in a day or two, and you'll never know that they never actually had that watch in hand.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 02:52 PM   #327
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Take all those listings, and call the cheapest 25% of them. They have all "just sold" earlier that day or whatever and if you can give them your info they'll try to find you another one...

Then call the most expensive 25% and they're just fishing for a sucker willing to pay and they'll have you one in a day or two, and you'll never know that they never actually had that watch in hand.

Well said lmao
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 05:01 PM   #328
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Why do you assume there is a static, limited pool of people willing to pay silly prices ? If that pool is larger than the number of watches available at silly prices, or that pool keeps getting replenished, then we will not see any substantial decline in current prices. It’s been years now that people have said prices are at their peak, and yet they keep going up .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
all models are built on assumptions, many of which turn out to be wrong.
I didn't assume that the pool was static- I noted that people, esp those who have zero interest in watches, and see merely a potentially appreciated asset, have moved into and increased the size of the pool. As to what proportion of the pool they make up; who knows...

But when the rate of return on their watches drops below competing returns on other items- be they Patek or beanie babies, then they tend to sell and swim to the new pool.
Old 21 January 2022, 05:24 PM   #329
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

That’s in the entire world, and some will be ghost watches “already sold”

I’m in the UK and buying outside the UK incurs 20% VAT plus fees.

With this in mind, filter to UK only and there are 32 listed in the whole country, of that only 7 are white.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 07:21 PM   #330
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Forget this David bloke there is definitely something strange going on as more and more Daytona’s are coming off the listings in Chrono24. Although watch finder Don’t want to buy anymore Daytona’s so it’s definitely manufactured.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote