The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 January 2022, 09:57 PM   #1
aalkazemi1990
"TRF" Member

AP Diver Calibre 4308 Accuracy

Hey guys. Just received a blue AP diver from the boutique. Absolutely stunning watch. However, it’s currently running at +7/8 seconds per day, brand new. Is this normal? Should I take it back to the boutique, or does this sound about right? I didn’t find a lot of info out there about the movement.
aalkazemi1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 10:14 PM   #2
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalkazemi1990 View Post
Hey guys. Just received a blue AP diver from the boutique. Absolutely stunning watch. However, it’s currently running at +7/8 seconds per day, brand new. Is this normal? Should I take it back to the boutique, or does this sound about right? I didn’t find a lot of info out there about the movement.
Do you use a winder or are you just wearing it to wind it? It's likely that depending on how it's being stored or the amount of activity (wearing it or rotations in the winder) are contributing to that. At the end of the day, it is a mechanical watch, so it won't be perfect and it will have some variation day to day.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 10:23 PM   #3
aalkazemi1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Do you use a winder or are you just wearing it to wind it? It's likely that depending on how it's being stored or the amount of activity (wearing it or rotations in the winder) are contributing to that. At the end of the day, it is a mechanical watch, so it won't be perfect and it will have some variation day to day.
I am not using a winder. I have worn it daily since receiving it five days ago, and it has rested comfortably on my watch stand. This is my first AP. Both my Rolexes are +- 1/2 seconds, my Speedy 3861 is +- 3/4 secs a day.

The movement accuracy in on par with my $600 Tissot PRX. I find this shocking to be frank, considering AP being part of the watchmaking Holy Trinity.

That being said, it’s a gorgeous watch and movement.
Old 13 January 2022, 10:30 PM   #4
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalkazemi1990 View Post
I am not using a winder. I have worn it daily since receiving it five days ago, and it has rested comfortably on my watch stand. This is my first AP. Both my Rolexes are +- 1/2 seconds, my Speedy 3861 is +- 3/4 secs a day.

The movement accuracy in on par with my $600 Tissot PRX. I find this shocking to be frank, considering AP being part of the watchmaking Holy Trinity.

That being said, it’s a gorgeous watch and movement.
Try different positions on how you let it rest overnight to see how much it varies.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 05:42 PM   #5
aalkazemi1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej View Post
Try different positions on how you let it rest overnight to see how much it varies.
I actually dropped by the boutique and asked. They informed me the acceptable varitation for the movement is -2/+8.
Old 14 January 2022, 06:27 PM   #6
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

My Diver with the 3120 movement was gaining 15-20 seconds/day when I first acquired it. Then it settled in nicely and to be honest I never checked it again. I usually switch watches after a day or 2 at most. The gained or lost time will never have a chance to accumulate and I'll never notice.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 09:03 PM   #7
Zavier
"TRF" Member

Sounds acceptable to me. My 15500 runs at +7 sec/day, 26420 runs at -2 sec/day, and my code runs at +1.5 sec/day.
Zavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 02:08 PM   #8
Thanos
"TRF" Member

MY AP diver 15710ST was running +12 per day. I sent to AP under warranty to check out. They 'regulated' it to +5 sec per day.
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 03:15 PM   #9
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
I really do think there is room for improvement by AP in this regard.
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:42 AM   #10
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Hi, up to +8 is acceptable by them. I didn't like that so I took mine back in and the regulated it for me. I request between +2 and +4 per day and that's what I got. Several years later at the 15710 its still the same. Sometimes I wear it daily, sometimes it sits for weeks unworn and not on a winder. I am looking to get a winder just to keep my watches running without having to constantly unscrew the crown.
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 04:57 AM   #11
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Let it settle in - some variation is to be expected when brand new.

My 15710 is running around +2s last time I checked. I wear it all day everyday so is usually well charged up.

Lay it to rest with the crown up and you’ll find it slows slightly overnight to compensate for any positive timekeeping during the daytime hours.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote