The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2022, 01:46 PM   #1
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

A question about the Tudor BB58 in light of the recent swell in Rolex muggings

This question will be polarizing & triggering to some, but it's one I've been thinking about lately, and I'd like to hear the forum's thoughts - especially from BB58 owners.

Would you treat a Tudor BB58 (on bracelet) with the same caution as you'd treat a Rolex steel sports model, such as a Sub? And by caution, I mean leaving it exposed on your wrist, rather than covering it or swapping it out with a watch that you perceive as less risky/tempting for crooks.

Asking the question differently, do you think that the Tudor BB58 is too desirable or "Rolexy" to qualify as a safer substitute for travel, etc? Do any of you BB58 owners have a lower-tier or lower-key watch to serve as a safer substitute? I'd rather get a lower-profile but still 'nice' watch for the aformentioned purposes rather than a classic beater like a G-Shock. Am I kidding myself by thinking that the BB58 (even on bracelet) significantly lowers mugging probability? I've never heard of a Tudor mugging, maybe I'm being naive.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Here's a gratuitous shot of my personal grail (126610LN), which I'm still honeymooning with after 9 months of ownership.

Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:49 PM   #2
Eric88
"TRF" Member

If you’re in a risky environment, I’m not sure if the crooks will differentiate between a BB and a SubC.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:50 PM   #3
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
“Mugging probability”? For reals?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:51 PM   #4
28mm
"TRF" Member

Well I bought a Tudor 925 recently as I wanted something lower key for when I am out and about working.

Yet it's true, I think on a NYC subway probably a good idea to keep it covered?

Through force of habit and growing up in high crime New York, I have always had awareness of wearing a Rolex.

The idea they were under the radar until recently is fictional. My father told me when I was a kid how cops would wear fake Rolexes on the subway to draw out muggers..This was in the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
If you’re in a risky environment, I’m not sure if the crooks will differentiate between a BB and a SubC.
I don't think so either but in a place where they might be stalking jewelry and watches, it wouldn't be called out.
Old 18 January 2022, 02:02 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Really depends on where you are in the world.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:31 PM   #6
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

My advice is “ When in doubt, don’t”. BTW, this advice also works with poker, driving and sex.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:48 PM   #7
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reponses, everyone.

This got a LOL out of me, rings true in my experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
My advice is “ When in doubt, don’t”. BTW, this advice also works with poker, driving and sex.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:53 PM   #8
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
I got mugged at knifepoint as a teenager in the 10th grade for my Victorinox Swiss Army watch (~$150). This was in a fairly affluent part of CA too...

Scumbags gonna scumbag regardless whats on your wrist. Best keep your head on a swivel and any time I find myself forced to ride public transit I take the watch off and hide it in my pocket or bag.
Old 18 January 2022, 02:53 PM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
That's kind of weird thinking, sorry. If your going to get mugged, you're going to get mugged, period. They won't differentiate a Rolex from a Tudor from a Pagani Design. It's just that Rolex robberies make the news much like Ferrari or Lamborghini crashes make the news. You don't hear broadcasters say it was a Honda Civic or Ford Edge but the word Ferrari takes center stage.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:29 PM   #10
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Definitely safer than a Rolex. It's what I use when I'm in need of a "beater" that I wouldn't mind losing.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 03:47 PM   #11
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

You could get mugged for $10 in you wallet depending on how desperate the person may be.

But no i wouldn't treat BB58 with same caution as Rolex
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:09 PM   #12
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I have both a sub and a BB58, and i tend to not care much when I’m wearing the BB58. I don’t think it has drawn any attention. I would probably wear the BB58 if i was somewhere sketchy and wouldn’t be worried about anyone noticing it.

In the summertime, i wear the BB58 on rubber and i don’t think anyone gives it a second look.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:09 PM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The gangs that organise these robberies know what they’re after. They can spot what they want a mile off and target specifically.
Old 18 January 2022, 10:07 PM   #14
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Any watch is a target for someone who is desperate and going through hard times, whether it is simply to pawn the watch for money to buy food or clothes or pay a bill or to use for alcohol or drugs which is another possibility. So if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time it won't matter what you are wearing on your wrist it could be a target.

The area you go into doesn't have to be rough or a no go area, there are stories of men having their watches stolen in the nicest of ways; a couple of charming and beautiful young ladies start a conversation with you in the bar at the pub or on the golf course and whilst you are engaged and engrossed in the beauty that you can see with one lady, the other has lifted your wallet, unclipped your watch and whipped your phone all whilst you are viewing what is on display in front of you.

And yes this is true, one victim gave a very graphic account on what happened and was more concerned what his wife would say when she found out that he had been in the company of these young ladies.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:10 PM   #15
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
Quote:

Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:11 PM   #16
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

There are probably people who are mugging for the sole intention of your rolex and there are mugging just to take your money and stuff.
I’ve never worried about either but I can say wearing the 58 instead of a vintage sub it more relaxed and because of that for me more enjoyable.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:20 PM   #17
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Regardless of the watch. Just wear what you can afford to lose or damage…a rolex or Tudor is made to be worn. Not be worried about.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:21 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
You could get mugged for $10 in you wallet depending on how desperate the person may be.

But no i wouldn't treat BB58 with same caution as Rolex
Have to agree but Tudor and Rolex are both just watches, and if I was worried about getting mugged I would not have bought either.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:26 PM   #19
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I think most of the people on this board own some sort of "travel watch" that is non-Rolex, less expensive, and lower profile. A Tudor makes a terrific travel watch. Used my GMT for years and never had an issue.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:31 PM   #20
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Though I remember my AD telling me a while back they got robbed and since everything good was in the safe, the perpetrators got away with "only breitlings and Tudors".
Funny.

Quote:
Excellent advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S52 View Post
Scumbags gonna scumbag
Nice. That should be on a t-shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobee View Post
…a rolex or Tudor is made to be worn. Not be worried about.
I'll add to all of this sage advice that the BB58 has a much more matte finish on the bezel, face and less polishing than most Rolexes, so by that alone, it's less "flashy". I like that.

And most thieves, honestly, don't like the snowflake hands.

I jest.

I've worn my Sub or BLNR in NYC and London, on the subways, etc. with never an issue but then again I got robbed at gunpoint once in the middle of a parking lot in NC once simply because I was wearing a suit and they figured I had money. They asked for my wallet, not my watch.

So do I go around naked, just in case?

Heck no. It's cold out there! Shrinkage.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 10:41 PM   #21
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Hi OP, I share your nagging worries in the back of my mind. There are just many more confident fellow forum members here than I am.

And this is before even talking about PM pieces!

For me, if I'm concerned, speedy goes on instead of anything nicer. Speedy because I still enjoy the watch and it's very replaceable with plenty of inventory at any given time.

And if I'm really, really concerned, than it's Apple watch and tracking my fitness steps.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:25 AM   #22
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
This question will be polarizing & triggering to some, but it's one I've been thinking about lately, and I'd like to hear the forum's thoughts - especially from BB58 owners.

Would you treat a Tudor BB58 (on bracelet) with the same caution as you'd treat a Rolex steel sports model, such as a Sub? And by caution, I mean leaving it exposed on your wrist, rather than covering it or swapping it out with a watch that you perceive as less risky/tempting for crooks.

Asking the question differently, do you think that the Tudor BB58 is too desirable or "Rolexy" to qualify as a safer substitute for travel, etc? Do any of you BB58 owners have a lower-tier or lower-key watch to serve as a safer substitute? I'd rather get a lower-profile but still 'nice' watch for the aformentioned purposes rather than a classic beater like a G-Shock. Am I kidding myself by thinking that the BB58 (even on bracelet) significantly lowers mugging probability? I've never heard of a Tudor mugging, maybe I'm being naive.

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Here's a gratuitous shot of my personal grail (126610LN), which I'm still honeymooning with after 9 months of ownership.

There are two significant angles to answer this...

1. Most people have no idea what a Tudor is whereas EVERYONE knows Rolex. Highly doubtful your BB58 would even raise an eyebrow even if you wore it on a chain around your neck.

2. Yes, Rolex (and gold watch owners) are noticed and targeted — that little cyclops can be spotted from yards/meters away. I would bet half of those mugging are specifically for the watch. But I would also suspect half of those mugging are muggers targeting someone who is in the wrong place at wrong time and/or someone who looks “wealthy.” Meaning, if you (and your company) look well heeled they would mug you expecting a full wallet (the watch, no matter what it is, is just an extra for the mugger).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:27 AM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
I've never heard of a Tudor mugging, maybe I'm being naive.
I have never thought about buying high end jewelry and being robbed for it in the same breath.

I wish you luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:56 AM   #24
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree but Tudor and Rolex are both just watches, and if I was worried about getting mugged I would not have bought either.
Thats is the first positive post I see from you.
And for once I agree with you.

I do not watk around worrying if today might be the day I die in a car/plane/train/bicycle/pedestrian accident.
Nor do I think about how I might perish from a terror/loonie-bin/hater/racist/KKK or BlackPanther attac.

I do not fill my days reading about all the dealdly illnesses I might contract from living my daily life,bar the ones that might come with age.

Why would I then worry about what could be if I wear my watch?
Anything from the above lists would take priority....
SocialMediaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #25
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
This doesn't involve watches but carjacking.

My wife's aunt teaches at a very nice private school in a shitty part of her city. A student came into class one day late and all disheveled. When she asked what happened he said he was carjacked right outside in the school parking lot. He said they jumped him as he pulled in but after a minute or so sitting inside the car they gave up and took off running!!

He drove a manual transmission and the idiot carjackers didn't know how to drive a stick! Ha ha!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:06 AM   #26
Scott_
"TRF" Member

My only experience with being mugged was as a college student in Boston in the early 90s. I wasn't wearing a watch (and I was at least 6 years away from buying my first mobile phone). The muggers got the $15 or so in cash that I had in my wallet. They actually handed me my wallet back and didn't bother taking the only credit card I had at the time. I had a friend who was mugged at gunpoint not long after that -- the mugger got a grand total of $.07 in coins.
Scott_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:11 AM   #27
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Once I put my Tudor GMT on a Jubilee, I actually thought about that. However, I generally choose what watch to wear based on what I am doing and the surrounding area.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:11 AM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Robbers are better informed than general public .They know Tudor ...and its worth something .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:13 AM   #29
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I also enjoy wearing my beater watch. So when I go out into a neighborhood where I might get mugged, I bring the essentials: brass knuckles, a billy club a the casio oak.
Old 19 January 2022, 01:15 AM   #30
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialMediaUser View Post
Thats is the first positive post I see from you.
And for once I agree with you.

I do not watk around worrying if today might be the day I die in a car/plane/train/bicycle/pedestrian accident.
Nor do I think about how I might perish from a terror/loonie-bin/hater/racist/KKK or BlackPanther attac.

I do not fill my days reading about all the dealdly illnesses I might contract from living my daily life,bar the ones that might come with age.

Why would I then worry about what could be if I wear my watch?
Anything from the above lists would take priority....
Well myself been having a fight with cancer over the past few years, so for me the most important thing other than worring about getting mugged whatever watch I was wearing. Its quite simple that everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote