The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2022, 01:23 AM   #31
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
I think getting mugged for a Rolex gets more attention from the media, but there are many more muggings for mobile phones which is so common it doesn’t even get a mention so we are all at risk every time we walk down the street, wearing a Rolex in certain areas one will feel that it’s getting noticed by everyone but generally that’s not the case, but I do feel my Bluesy does attract attention rightly or wrongly, so if in certain areas I will just wear a Citizen.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:29 AM   #32
SocialMediaUser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well myself been having a fight with cancer over the past few years, so for me the most important thing other than worring about getting mugged whatever watch I was wearing. Its quite simple that everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
I might not agree with you Sir in a lot of things,but I do not wish sickness or bad health on anybody.

I hope you beat the cancer,and stay well for years to come,able to do what you like doing.
Being healthy and able to do what you desire is priceless.
No amount of Rolexes can compare to that.

All the best to you Sir
SocialMediaUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:37 AM   #33
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The when in doubt, don't, rule works. Situational awareness is a must but also be aware that the muggers are after all types of jewelry and any form of modern telecommunications, phones, tablets etc. I enjoy my beater watches, Seiko Turtles, Casio's etc. Be careful, pay attention and use the right watch for the right time and area.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #34
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

You think a mugger won’t mug you for a $4,000 watch? I know this is the Rolex forum, but let’s not delude ourselves. Tudor is a watch that costs more than 95 percent of people would ever dream of paying for a watch. If you’re in a situation to be mugged, that watch is getting taken.

Hell, anything that is on a bracelet probably is getting taken.

Sure there are probably people that get targeted specifically for a Rolex, but this is probably very rare. Most of these crimes are crimes of opportunity.

People are very bad at evaluating the actual risk of rate events.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:41 AM   #35
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
You think a mugger won’t mug you for a $4,000 watch? I know this is the Rolex forum, but let’s not delude ourselves. Tudor is a watch that costs more than 95 percent of people would ever dream of paying for a watch. If you’re in a situation to be mugged, that watch is getting taken.

Hell, anything that is on a bracelet probably is getting taken.

Sure there are probably people that get targeted specifically for a Rolex, but this is probably very rare. Most of these crimes are crimes of opportunity.

People are very bad at evaluating the actual risk of rate events.
I think I have never a single time through the media or on this board heard of someone being robbed for his Tudor. Not saying it's never happened but in comparison to Rolex it is very very rare.

Thieves know Rolex. They know what they are worth. Someone stealing a $4,000 Tudor may be able to get a grand or two for it. Not worth their time or risk for the most part, at least in first world countries. On the other hand stealing a $10K Rolex can get then $20,000+ on the black market.

I disagree that is it rare for people to be specifically targeted for their Rolex. There are dozens of media accounts in the last couple years of people doing exactly that. Ten years ago things were different. But these days that little bubble on your watch is widely known and understood to mean easy $$$

And for people that say insure it, watches are for wearing, etc., that's all fine and dandy until someone kills you for it, or bashes you in the head, or badly injures you in the process. Situational awareness. When I travel to anywhere shady my Rolex stays home. My GS or Tudor do just fine in those situations.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:30 AM   #36
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

A question about the Tudor BB58 in light of the recent swell in Rolex muggings

See above re: estimating actual risk of rare events.

You don’t think that Tudors have been stolen because no one has reported it on this forum or in the media? The only watches you ever hear about being stolen are Rolexes and the occasional Richard Mille. What’s more likely: that those are the only watches stolen, or that the media only chooses to report on super expensive watches, or watches the public knows. I imagine there are literally hundreds of watches stolen every day that aren’t Rolex

As far as the dozens of reports you hear about being targeted, what percentage of all the Rolexes in existence do you think have been stolen in this manner? Or what percentage of all robberies do you think involve a Rolex? If it’s one-hundredth of one percent I would be shocked.

And ten years ago things were different because there wasn’t a 24 hour news frenzy or the internet reporting literally everything. These things happened. You just didn’t hear about them.

Do what you want to make yourself comfortable. But let’s not make it out to be some post-apocalyptic hellscape out there.
Old 19 January 2022, 04:36 AM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
See above re: estimating actual risk of rare events.

You don’t think that Tudors have been stolen because no one has reported it on this forum or in the media? The only watches you ever hear about being stolen are Rolexes and the occasional Richard Mille. What’s more likely: that those are the only watches stolen, or that the media only chooses to report on super expensive watches, or watches the public knows. I imagine there are literally hundreds of watches stolen every day that aren’t Rolex

As far as the dozens of reports you hear about being targeted, what percentage of all the Rolexes in existence do you think have been stolen in this manner? Or what percentage of all robberies do you think involve a Rolex? If it’s one-hundredth of one percent I would be shocked.

And ten years ago things were different because there wasn’t a 24 hour news frenzy or the internet reporting literally everything. These things happened. You just didn’t hear about them.

Do what you want to make yourself comfortable. But let’s not make it out to be some post-apocalyptic hellscape out there.
Folks on this board have been robbed of their Rolexes. I've never heard of anyone on here saying they were mugged for their Tudor. Yes media sensationalizes everything and does not give an accurate assessment of risk. But the advent of social media and the extraordinary Rolex grey market upcharges have put the word out that you can make big bucks stealing Rolex watches. Sure in terms of all robberies vs robberies involving a Rolex I agree with you that it's very low. However I just think you are being a little naïve if you think thieves aren't specifically targeting Rolex out there.

As I said, situational awareness is key. And sometimes it's best to leave the Rolex at home and wear the Tudor. And if the area is real questionable maybe don't wear a watch at all and keep your phone tucked away.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 04:45 AM   #38
SAlNlDllvllAlNl
"TRF" Member

Put some insurance on your watch and go about your business as usual. If you feel you are going to get mugged every time you put your Rolex on and feel the need to buy a "less" desirable watch like Tudor then this hobby isn't for you.
SAlNlDllvllAlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 04:55 AM   #39
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I live in the Los Angeles County, and have watched homelessness steadily increase over the past 2 decades, and crime has spiked considerably over the past 2 years. So, while I don’t live in a hellscape, I don’t live in paradise either. I also know that life is a game of probabilities, and I’d rather be smart about playing the odds.

I appreciate the responses, everyone. Interesting mix of opinions as always.
Fanofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 05:00 AM   #40
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Folks on this board have been robbed of their Rolexes. I've never heard of anyone on here saying they were mugged for their Tudor.
This has been my line of thinking. I’ve never heard of anyone getting mugged for their Tudor, never seen it mentioned on the forum. As someone in this thread said, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze, and this is the reasoning I’m leaning toward. In the news and on social media, I’ve counted 7 Rolex muggings in California alone over the past year. It seems to me that having a backup watch for risky trips or places is just being smart. Is Tudor still too tempting for bad guys? That’s something I’ll have to decide. It looks like the majority here says no.
Old 19 January 2022, 05:36 AM   #41
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Not sure. I have seen the 6 digit versions and they are shiner and in some cases have thicker lugs and larger cases. Tudor is far more subdued in appearance. I would be surprised if anyone could tell my old 16610 was anything of value unless they are standing less then a foot away. Tudor and 5 digit and older rolex models just had a way of disappearing.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 05:37 AM   #42
Lage
"TRF" Member

As has been said, you can be robbed regardless of what watch you're wearing, but even disregarding this, I suspect that a BB58 is too similar to a older generation sub to be safe. From a distance it basically looks like a classic sub - enough to get the wrong kind of attention. It's not like a robber will return the watch to you when he discovers that it's just a Tudor.

If hesitant, it's probably better to wear a plastic Casio or something similar that no one can confuse with something more expensive.
Lage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #43
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lage View Post
From a distance it basically looks like a classic sub - enough to get the wrong kind of attention. It's not like a robber will return the watch to you when he discovers that it's just a Tudor.
Sadly, I tend to agree with this, and this is why I’m so conflicted about it qualifying as something that flies under the criminal radar. It’s exactly what appeals to me about the BB58, it’s like a vintage Sub fitted with modern tech.
Old 19 January 2022, 05:52 AM   #44
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Folks on this board have been robbed of their Rolexes. I've never heard of anyone on here saying they were mugged for their Tudor. Yes media sensationalizes everything and does not give an accurate assessment of risk. But the advent of social media and the extraordinary Rolex grey market upcharges have put the word out that you can make big bucks stealing Rolex watches. Sure in terms of all robberies vs robberies involving a Rolex I agree with you that it's very low. However I just think you are being a little naïve if you think thieves aren't specifically targeting Rolex out there.

As I said, situational awareness is key. And sometimes it's best to leave the Rolex at home and wear the Tudor. And if the area is real questionable maybe don't wear a watch at all and keep your phone tucked away.

I’m not saying that some thieves aren’t targeting Rolexes. I am positive that there are, for instance, waiters in restaurants that notice when a patron has an expensive watch and calls their Buddy to target them when they leave the restaurant. But I also think that’s super rare in the grand scheme of things when you compare it all robberies and even all watch robberies.
Old 19 January 2022, 05:53 AM   #45
telesquire
Banned

I think they'd bring it back once they realised it wasn't a Rolex.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 05:59 AM   #46
winst
"TRF" Member

I think on a bracelet it does stand out a bit more but on leather, NATO or Vanguard rubber it’s far more inconspicuous.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:03 AM   #47
Feb_29
"TRF" Member

I travel a lot around the world. I can say that most of the people don't even notice my watch. I have a couple of Rubber B and Everest bands that I swap on my GMT or Sub depends where I go. On the rubber strap Rolex looks ordinary not expensive at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0194.jpg (114.6 KB, 170 views)
Feb_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:06 AM   #48
rlj676
"TRF" Member

It seems people here are missing the difference of “anyone can be mugged” which is true, vs the fact the most recognizable high end watch in the world increases the odds of you being the target vs the next guy.

People with tudors get mugged, people get mugged because of their Rolex. How much more risk it adds is debatable, but in areas where crime is high it is worth extra cautions.

Therefore I bought this cheap beater to take to Cancun next week lol (rationalization at its best)

Pic from web, thanks Tapatalk for not working
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:07 AM   #49
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb_29 View Post
I travel a lot around the world. I can say that most of the people don't even notice my watch. I have a couple of Rubber B and Everest bands that I swap to my GMT or Sub depends where I go. On the rubber strap Rolex looks ordinary not expensive at all.
This was my first plan, and I bought some Horus straps for my GMT and Daytona but then convinced myself (above) was better idea.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:19 AM   #50
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Over the summer was on a booze cruise and was complimented on my Blue dial Sedna Gold Seamaster 300M by some strangers. I thanked them for the compliment but it reinforces if you are out partying remember to keep your wits. Would they have noticed my BB 58 or something like an black dial OP 39? Perhaps, but the Omega definitely caught the eye of some people.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:19 AM   #51
doubleinfive
"TRF" Member

Muggings are no longer random acts. They are well organized with ready buyers. Be vigilant when you are in a high-end restaurant. Refrain from showing your watch to barkeeps and servers. They have the ability to take pictures of your watches and text their cohorts in advance when you leave the establishment. I live in Los Angeles...happens all the time.
doubleinfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:19 AM   #52
Feb_29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
This was my first plan, and I bought some Horus straps for my GMT and Daytona but then convinced myself (above) was better idea.
I've been in Cancun several times, diving there with my DSSD and Sub on my wrist. Nobody will mug you there. Cancun is pretty safe place.
Feb_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:31 AM   #53
Wismo
Banned

I can't conceive of people who live in fear of getting "mugged".

Why would anyone live in and/or visit a place where they fear crime?

Either learn to defend yourself and your property or move.

Again, lol
Wismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:32 AM   #54
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post
Muggings are no longer random acts. They are well organized with ready buyers. Be vigilant when you are in a high-end restaurant. Refrain from showing your watch to barkeeps and servers. They have the ability to take pictures of your watches and text their cohorts in advance when you leave the establishment. I live in Los Angeles...happens all the time.

All the time? I think maybe that overstates it.
Old 19 January 2022, 06:49 AM   #55
vitadine
"TRF" Member

A question about the Tudor BB58 in light of the recent swell in Rolex muggings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
It seems people here are missing the difference of “anyone can be mugged” which is true, vs the fact the most recognizable high end watch in the world increases the odds of you being the target vs the next guy.

People with tudors get mugged, people get mugged because of their Rolex. How much more risk it adds is debatable, but in areas where crime is high it is worth extra cautions.

Therefore I bought this cheap beater to take to Cancun next week lol (rationalization at its best)

Pic from web, thanks Tapatalk for not working

Which PAM reference is this?
vitadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 07:03 AM   #56
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleinfive View Post
Yup. If you live in LA, you know exactly what my concerns are. Those who don’t get it, well, lucky for them. I had lunch with a friend on an outdoor patio in Beverly Hills about 2 months ago (right after someone got mugged for their Rolex in a similar setting in the same area of BH). I was extremely cognizant of everyone who walked by our table. It was nerve-racking.
Old 19 January 2022, 07:10 AM   #57
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well myself been having a fight with cancer over the past few years, so for me the most important thing other than worring about getting mugged whatever watch I was wearing. Its quite simple that everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Stay strong, Padi
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 07:31 AM   #58
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
Yup. If you live in LA, you know exactly what my concerns are. Those who don’t get it, well, lucky for them. I had lunch with a friend on an outdoor patio in Beverly Hills about 2 months ago (right after someone got mugged for their Rolex in a similar setting in the same area of BH). I was extremely cognizant of everyone who walked by our table. It was nerve-racking.

I live in a large metro (DC). I guess I don’t get it. The chances your Rolex will be stolen is very small. Infinitesimally small. Is the chance zero? No. Is it slightly higher than it would be for a lower value watch? Probably. Do people have things stolen other than Rolexes? Absolutely.

Everyone needs to determine their own risk tolerance. But people getting targeted and having their Rolex stolen is not the common occurrence that it’s being made out to be here. If you would rather that risk be zero, that’s totally cool. But it’s disingenuous to describe it as anything but rare, your nervousness at lunch notwithstanding.
Old 19 January 2022, 07:56 AM   #59
Fanofsteel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I live in a large metro (DC). I guess I don’t get it. The chances your Rolex will be stolen is very small. Infinitesimally small. Is the chance zero? No. Is it slightly higher than it would be for a lower value watch? Probably. Do people have things stolen other than Rolexes? Absolutely.

Everyone needs to determine their own risk tolerance. But people getting targeted and having their Rolex stolen is not the common occurrence that it’s being made out to be here. If you would rather that risk be zero, that’s totally cool. But it’s disingenuous to describe it as anything but rare, your nervousness at lunch notwithstanding.
You’ve articulated your point well. I just have this feeling that Murphy is just waiting for me to not worry about chillin’ with my exposed Rolex in the wrong place at the wrong time. We carry different psychological baggage based on our different life experiences. In any case, this is still an interesting conversation.
Old 19 January 2022, 08:07 AM   #60
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofsteel View Post
Maybe this explains the population growth in Florida and Texas.

It stinks that you have to think like this, but obviously you have reasons. Stay alert.

That being said, I think is someone was going to mug someone for a Sub, they would do the same for a Tudor BB58.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote