The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2022, 12:53 PM   #1
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Anyone that lives with nerve pains?

For me it all started back in July last year where I suddenly, three weeks in to my vacation suddenly started to get serious pain in my rib cage which lead to my left chest side got swollen…now 6 months later I have lived with this pain that has spread to my back and shoulders as well.

The doctors have done various scans and basically all possible research to help me but they can’t find anything wrong.

Now I’m finally seeing a “pain doctor” that is conducting testing on my back to try to find the source of the pain and then tranquilize it to get rid of it, the testing is so painful that I nearly flew of the hospital bed the other day…

Anyone else that lives with pain in their torso?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Sorry to hear about your pain. I can’t say I’m in the same boat but I do get occasional issues which I’m still figuring out.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 02:36 PM   #3
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've been having pain across the middle of my back and I'm at a loss as to just what is causing it, whether it's muscular or what.

It's pretty much a constant ache, unless I reach or turn the wrong way, then it becomes a sharp pain that will cause me flinch and recoil in pain.

I won't see my primary until next month, but we will definitely discuss the issue and see about getting a workup or some physical therapy, because it has affected my life in some very negative ways, beyond just the pain factor.

I'm not aware of any swelling in that area. It's just as sore as hell.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 03:36 PM   #4
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I hate to hear about issues like yours. It's crazy that modern medicine is so advanced in some areas yet scratch their heads with other issues. I didn't / don't have your symptoms, but I was having a problem of several fingers on my right hand going numb for no apparent reason. I did every type of scan and test you can imagine (most of them 2-3 times) for 2 years and never did get an answer. That was 5 years ago and the numbness completely went away for a while but now returns occasionally; what's worse is it's in my left hand as well now. I'm just glad it doesn't occur often as it did in the past.

I know I didn't help you with your problem, but my point is you aren't alone trying to figure out the signals your body is trying to send. I do wish you luck
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 07:53 PM   #5
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I've been having pain across the middle of my back and I'm at a loss as to just what is causing it, whether it's muscular or what.

It's pretty much a constant ache, unless I reach or turn the wrong way, then it becomes a sharp pain that will cause me flinch and recoil in pain.

I won't see my primary until next month, but we will definitely discuss the issue and see about getting a workup or some physical therapy, because it has affected my life in some very negative ways, beyond just the pain factor.

I'm not aware of any swelling in that area. It's just as sore as hell.
This is exactly like my pain! The “pain doctor” is now tranquilizing/stunning/numbing (not sure about the correct expression) different spots on my back to see if he can find the pain source. If he manage to numb the correct place the pain would stop and then the plan is to put in another, stronger
anesthetic that should keep the pain away for years…
Old 19 January 2022, 09:40 PM   #6
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
This sounds like a trip to a chiropractor should be first on the agenda. Followed by a PT. Then an MD (unless you need referrals then the order changes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:51 PM   #7
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
This sounds like a trip to a chiropractor should be first on the agenda. Followed by a PT. Then an MD (unless you need referrals then the order changes).

I am an MD and I completely agree with you here. The benefits of chiropractic and PT are immense. Good luck, OP. Hope you find relief soon.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 12:23 AM   #8
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Are you doing any core strengthening exercises? I fought back pain for years and received targeted PT, chiro, massage, etc… for 20 years until a personal trainer started to focus on my core strength. On occasions, the pain would radiate around my chest like a vice. I was concerned about heart issues at one point but was diagnosed with chest wall spasms.

For me, everything emanated from severe deconditioning of my core from years of sitting behind a desk all day. I now have an extensive routine of core, hip and back exercises to maintain a relatively pain free existence. If I drop off for more than two weeks, the back starts to ache again.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 02:59 AM   #9
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Are you doing any core strengthening exercises? I fought back pain for years and received targeted PT, chiro, massage, etc… for 20 years until a personal trainer started to focus on my core strength. On occasions, the pain would radiate around my chest like a vice. I was concerned about heart issues at one point but was diagnosed with chest wall spasms.

For me, everything emanated from severe deconditioning of my core from years of sitting behind a desk all day. I now have an extensive routine of core, hip and back exercises to maintain a relatively pain free existence. If I drop off for more than two weeks, the back starts to ache again.

True story here too. Bird dogs, lunges, ballerina/soldier, etc etc….. do them all. Your core is absolutely the most important thing to keep strong in your entire body.

Old 20 January 2022, 03:34 AM   #10
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with chiropractic and massage as a starting point.

Then move to Yoga and/or Mat Pilates for stretching and strengthening core and balancing everything else.

Traditional medical docs will just give you drugs.
Old 20 January 2022, 03:55 AM   #11
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Since the pains are inflammatory and in the nerves I’m not sure how a chiropractor would be able to help. I’m leaning towards this condition when I do my research…

https://northsidespineandpain.com/co...hest-wall-pain
Old 20 January 2022, 03:58 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Since the pains are inflammatory and in the nerves I’m not sure how a chiropractor would be able to help. I’m leaning towards this condition when I do my research…

Good luck in finding the 'cure' as constant pain is a terrible thing.
Old 20 January 2022, 04:11 AM   #13
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Yes daily. Had spinal disc fusion surgery in April 2019 and pain has been worse than before the surgery ever since. Leg numbness and burning. Trouble sitting upright or standing. Scans say the surgeon put everything in correctly but bones didn't fuse and that's that. Worst decision I ever made.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 07:52 AM   #14
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Whelp if a joint or muscle is clamping down on a nerve that would be your instigator. It’s all connected.

Old 20 January 2022, 09:03 AM   #15
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Sounds like it could be internal shingles, basically the infection without the rash. I went through this, no fun.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 11:59 AM   #16
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Kwesi, Grady, Bill — sorry to hear. That’s rough. Good luck in finding a way through it.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2022, 12:11 PM   #17
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Sounds like it could be internal shingles, basically the infection without the rash. I went through this, no fun.
Did you manage to find any treatment?
Old 20 January 2022, 12:12 PM   #18
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
Yes daily. Had spinal disc fusion surgery in April 2019 and pain has been worse than before the surgery ever since. Leg numbness and burning. Trouble sitting upright or standing. Scans say the surgeon put everything in correctly but bones didn't fuse and that's that. Worst decision I ever made.
Sorry to hear that! I really feel for you!
Old 20 January 2022, 12:13 PM   #19
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Sorry to hear. I'm in pain every day, back and legs. Sometimes neck and shoulders. Ever since my motorcycle accident and exploding my T-12 vertebrae amongst a slew of other injuries, pain in my life is constant. The best things I can recommend are not taking pain pills, exercise as much as you can, and use an inversion table (only after being properly hydrated) 3 minutes a day. That has helped me out the most and will hopefully help you.
Old 20 January 2022, 12:36 PM   #20
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Have had much success with acupuncture.
Old 20 January 2022, 08:43 PM   #21
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Sorry to hear. I'm in pain every day, back and legs. Sometimes neck and shoulders. Ever since my motorcycle accident and exploding my T-12 vertebrae amongst a slew of other injuries, pain in my life is constant. The best things I can recommend are not taking pain pills, exercise as much as you can, and use an inversion table (only after being properly hydrated) 3 minutes a day. That has helped me out the most and will hopefully help you.
I also use the table for years now why hydrate when using it?
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:49 AM   #22
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
OP I'm terribly sorry to hear. I don't have the nerve pain you have but I do suffer from chronic migraine from brain surgery.

Two therapies that have really helped me are biofeedback and myofascial release. They have not replaced my medications, but they have been extremely powerful in reducing the frequency and severity of my migraines.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:26 AM   #23
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
I also recommend inversion therapy for spinal decompression. It has helped my back pain tremendously. I feel for you guys. My dear mother had Fibromyalgia and I saw firsthand the suffering it caused her. Living with pain SUCKS.
Old 21 January 2022, 03:07 AM   #24
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
I also recommend inversion therapy for spinal decompression. It has helped my back pain tremendously.
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon! I use one at least once a day for a few minutes. I am currently in physical therapy for a muscle (Quadratus Lumborum) issue causing pain in lower back. The inversion table stretches the muscles and alleviates 100% of the pain; albeit, complete relief is only for a few minutes, nevertheless it's no pain.

For what it's worth, I asked the neurosurgeon I'm seeing as well at the physical therapy Dr and both spoke very highly of the long term benefits to the spine. OP, this may not address your specific problem, but seeing how it's been mentioned a couple times in thread, I thought I'd chime in.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 03:23 AM   #25
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
So about 20 years ago i was young and dumb and decided to hop in a car with a drunk driver. He ended up losing control of the vehicle and we crashed into a tree with me absorbing the majority of the impact (sitting behind the driver) when i came to i was in severe pain with blood everywhere. The 3 other passengers walked away and i immediately grabbed for my phone and told the driver to call my mom and 911. Was rushed the ER where the performed emergency surgery to repair a ruptured spleen. Over the course of the next 5 days i went through multiple surgeries to fix a shattered pelvis (8 fractures) broken femur, 2 cracked vertebrae and a broken sternum. I spent 2 weeks in the icu and about a month after in the hospital. I was wheel chair bound for 4 months and basically had to learn how to walk again. Missed the second half of my junior year of high school. Just a terrible situation and so thankful I “walked” away from it. Never really suffered much ongoing pain from it until i turned ~32-33. Then i started to suffer severe lower back and hip pain. Tried everything from message therapy, acupuncture, heat therapy, chiropractor, consult with a neurologist etc. you name it, i was willing to try it. It got a point about a year ago where i could barely stand upright or pick up my kid. I felt like it was never going to get better. Not one for pain killers or other medication that only masks the pain.

Since then i found a chiropractor that is adjusting me correctly and also has me on a traction table about once a month. It has helped immensely! I’ve also started a physical therapy treatment called Strain/counter strain (here’s some info https://physicaltherapyfirst.com/ser...counterstrain/). At first i was like WTF is this but after about 2 months i'm living a completely different life! Still not able to golf but i think I’ll be there in a couple months. I also bought an inversion table for home use which has helped as well.

My advice would be to try various treatments and find one that works. Try different chiropractors if you can. I went to the same Dr. for years with no relief and as soon as i changed and started to get adjusted differently i saw instant results. Stretching and mobility has helped a lot too.

Hope you can find something that gives your relief. I know the feeling and worrying thoughts of never thinking you’ll feel good again.

Old 21 January 2022, 06:52 AM   #26
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all your input guys! Will have a discuss with my doctor next week and see what he says…
Old 21 January 2022, 08:14 AM   #27
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I was on a steroid and anti-viral and it resolved in a couple of weeks. Very painful condition with strange symptoms.

Quote:
Did you manage to find any treatment?
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:31 PM   #28
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
I also use the table for years now why hydrate when using it?

When you invert, the disks stretch, if there isn’t enough interstitial fluid to fill them as they stretch, they can tear.
Old 21 January 2022, 01:17 PM   #29
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I had an issue a few years ago with a sciatic nerve. At the time my primary care physician recommend therapy. Basically I had to push him a bit to get an MRI. Not long before that I had an issue with my knee and spoken with the nurse pratictioner because the primary care Dr wasn't available and she wrote it off as arthritis. I was unhappy with that and pushed her for a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon and he discovered I needed my knee scoped. My wife also had a bad experience with a specialist and her thyroid.

Anyway, the bottom line was after an MRI which my insurance paid for and I knew it would and going through the process of seeing a nerve specialist and then a orthopedic surgeon he offered two courses of treatment. Dismantling the joint in my spine and screwing it together where a cyst was located or giving me a cortisone shot in case the nerve was just swelled. I had the shot over 2 years ago and have yet had any further issues. Because I do have arthritis it maybe possible one day I may need back surgery but at least for now I don't. Oh and he did tell me that if i had waited to long that nerve could have been permanently damaged.

I don't know what your issue is but I do know you are your best advocate. As such sometimes it's up to you to determine what course of action to take and whether maybe it's time to consider getting a second opinion.

Regardless here's wishing you the best. Nerve pain is no fun, that's for sure.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 01:17 PM   #30
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When you invert, the disks stretch, if there isn’t enough interstitial fluid to fill them as they stretch, they can tear.
That doesn’t sound good at all…