The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 March 2014, 04:35 AM   #1
ahoffman

European Watch Co. vs. Paul Duggan in Boston

Both seem reputable. Anyone have data on either ?

Thanks
ahoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2014, 03:11 AM   #2
shane0mack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 (1981)
I haven't purchased from either, but I frequent their shops to check out their inventory. Duggan is a nice guy and they have a friendly staff. Not nearly the in amount of inventory as EWC, but I enjoy my time in the store more. EWC seems a little stuffier and they don't display a lot of their watches, like all the Rolex and most Patek. As far as business practices, they are both above board and I haven't heard a bad word for either.
shane0mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 08:50 PM   #3
ahoffman

Thanks. My take as well. Duggan very responsive. Neither seem to move on price as much as some of the sellers on TRF.
ahoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2014, 10:36 PM   #4
shane0mack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800 (1981)
That's true. I believe they offer (at least I'm pretty sure Duggan does) a 6 month warranty. That's built into the price. If he had the watch I was looking for, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the premium from Duggan.
shane0mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2014, 01:56 AM   #5
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

Ive done business with Joshua at European Watch Co. and have nothing but good things to say. Prompt response and immediate payment for the boxes I supplied him with.
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Oren
"TRF" Member

I bought a BLNR from duggan last week, got a great deal and amazing service. hard watch to find and they still gave me a deal.
Oren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2014, 07:59 AM   #7
slin-nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 | 214270
I have done two Rolex trades with Albert at EWC, both a few years ago. Albert was very friendly and knowledgeable. Would recommend.
slin-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 03:31 AM   #8
Bolivia
"TRF" Member

Not familiar with EWC but I have dealt with Duggan regarding an antique watch and although they could not fix it for me, service was top notch and I would be happy to go back.
Bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2014, 03:48 AM   #9
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpwatch View Post
Ive done business with Joshua at European Watch Co. and have nothing but good things to say. Prompt response and immediate payment for the boxes I supplied him with.
Josh joined us at the last gtg. Good peoples. They were kind enough to show us many of their prized pieces even though none of us bought anything. I've bought a few shell Cordovan straps there, but no watches yet. Heard only good things about Duggan, too.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2014, 12:24 PM   #10
U5512
"TRF" Member

I bought a vintage Patek from Duggan a few years ago for a very good deal. Very professional and prompt shipping.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 12:47 PM   #11
Koala
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26401RO
I just bought a SS/RG YM2 from Duggan earlier this week and had a very positive experience. They price their watches more realistically than EWC, who start much higher in negotiations. I would go back to Duggan when ready for my next acquisition.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2015, 10:02 PM   #12
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
I have purchased from Ivana at EWC....great experience and I wouldn't hesitate recommending Ivana
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2015, 11:19 PM   #13
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I always like to chat with Tony at EWC. So far no purchases but I have always found their advice to be helpful. No pressure and normally willing to deal. I would buy from them for sure if I find the right watch.
Old 24 March 2015, 12:18 AM   #14
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

I have bought and sold to EWC. My experience was great but their prices aren't the best you can find.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2015, 08:54 AM   #15
discusdave
"TRF" Member

A year or so ago I traded two watches to EWC for a Patek Annual that was supposed to be complete with papers. There was no certificate of authenticity as represented, and the story was the person they got the Patek from was supposed to get them the certificate. That person never did. I asked for a like replacement with papers per our original agreement. They sent another, and upon winding this Patek, the rotor would start spinning. Finally, we agreed on a cash price from them for my two watches, as their track record with providing me what I thought I was getting was not good. So I can say we took care of the deal, but make sure what you buy comes with what it is supposed to.

I ended up not buying a Patek and put the finds towards a Porsche 911 Turbo instead.
discusdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 10:09 AM   #16
skidgllfs
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased a pre-owned Yacht-Master from Paul Duggan. Excellent value and first class service.
skidgllfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2015, 08:18 PM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Joshua is a class act and gentleman and have done multiple deals with him. He is fair and straight shooter! As for Duggan also have done a few deals with him and also good guy!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2015, 06:35 AM   #18
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

ive purchased from both, and had excellent experiences. actually, just received something from Joshua at EWC, will have an incoming post shortly
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2015, 01:30 AM   #19
ralpie
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpwatch View Post
Love that TB Buti! Wish I hadn't sold mine.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2015, 08:59 AM   #20
descartes
"TRF" Member

I've purchased from both and sold to EW.

Both are excellent.
EW tends to price at the very high end of market, but will negotiate if a piece has been sitting for a while.
descartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2016, 05:57 AM   #21
roadkillrob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub,ZblueMIL
Just picked up my first Sub from Paul Duggan, very happy with the experience, I feel like the price was fair and condition was accurate to what they stated on their website. They were happy to spend time with me and give a decent discount for check cash or wire.

Will do business there again and they seems to have a very good used Rolex selection most of the time.

Rob
roadkillrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2016, 01:28 PM   #22
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
I went in to EWC and felt like I was intruding. That said, they have a good rep.

I was doing the Newbury Watch Hunt and realize I much prefer the world at my finger tips.
Old 22 August 2016, 05:49 AM   #23
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
European Watch Co. is a real store with real folks. I have not purchased from them. However, my store visits and interactions on the phone were nothing but pleasant!
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 02:57 AM   #24
Sculler22
"TRF" Member

Visited EWC with a friend who has an inherited 1016 with some bracelet issues. I asked if they had one in proper condition to show my friend the difference (I saw one in the case for sale). They asked if we were there to buy or browse? Basically, they were indifferent to an owner's simple request. Pity, my friend is an art collector of some international repute who is getting the Rolex bug now that he wears one. I suspect that he will shop elsewhere.
Sculler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 06:20 AM   #25
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

EWC to me has been hit or miss, sometimes helpful sometimes feel like im bothering them. Their pricing seems optimistic which makes more sense that they are willing to negotiate. Some used ALS's were priced the same as a brand new one down the road at shreve. They do have some cool vintage pieces.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote