The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 January 2023, 03:10 AM   #1
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Bronzo leaving your arm green?

Recently bought a 968, which I love. Now finding that it leaves my arm a bit green after wearing it. Comes off in the shower but was a bit surprised. I assume others get a similar reaction?
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 11:10 AM   #2
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I have heard that from other brands bronze watches. It's not just yours doing this.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 01:34 PM   #3
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
I got my 968 back in Nov and haven't had any skin discoloration at all. Since I bought it, it has really been the primary watch I've worn, just about daily. I don't shower with it daily, but a couple times a week it goes in with me. How is it discoloring your wrist with the titanium case back? Do you wear it really snug, maybe the case is pressing into your skin? I do wear all my watches pretty lose, maybe that's the difference?

What about patina? Does your watch have any, particularly expeditated or as some call "fake" ( I don't care for that term as it's still really patina, lol). My watch has developed very little in the two months I've worn it, just a very slight darkening in some area. Just thinking a heavy patina would seem more likely to leave some green behind.

For what its worth, I also own and have worn for many years an IWC Bronze Aquatimer and an Oris Carl Brashear. I have never experienced any wrist discoloration with these models either. I can't help but wonder if possibly some skin is more susceptible than others due to PH levels or something??

I read on another forum where a guy was having the green wrist issue with a very low end bronze watch and he put a coat of clear finger nail polish on the back. He claims the problem was solved.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2023, 10:15 PM   #4
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I got my 968 back in Nov and haven't had any skin discoloration at all. Since I bought it, it has really been the primary watch I've worn, just about daily. I don't shower with it daily, but a couple times a week it goes in with me. How is it discoloring your wrist with the titanium case back? Do you wear it really snug, maybe the case is pressing into your skin? I do wear all my watches pretty lose, maybe that's the difference?

What about patina? Does your watch have any, particularly expeditated or as some call "fake" ( I don't care for that term as it's still really patina, lol). My watch has developed very little in the two months I've worn it, just a very slight darkening in some area. Just thinking a heavy patina would seem more likely to leave some green behind.

For what its worth, I also own and have worn for many years an IWC Bronze Aquatimer and an Oris Carl Brashear. I have never experienced any wrist discoloration with these models either. I can't help but wonder if possibly some skin is more susceptible than others due to PH levels or something??

I read on another forum where a guy was having the green wrist issue with a very low end bronze watch and he put a coat of clear finger nail polish on the back. He claims the problem was solved.
Maybe you're right - perhaps I am just sensitive to bronze. The discoloration does not occur where the titanium case back sits, only around the edges where the bronze hits my skin. It came direct from Panerai after i had expressed interest online. I have worn it numerous times but it has the original leather strap and I have not worn it in any wet conditions, yet. There is very little if any patina. Still looks like it came new.
Old 13 January 2023, 09:48 AM   #5
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Happened to me with a Bronze Zelos
I haven't noticed it happening with my Bronze Zenith, though, despite it have a giant onion crown.

Might have a bit to do with the type of Bronze each manufacturer uses too
Old 13 January 2023, 12:53 PM   #6
donas
Banned

I can't wait to hear the complaints start coming from the new Bronze Breitling! This was on my list to get until I discovered it was aluminum bronze and get this....they used an all bronze, non-coated case back! At least that's what the boutique manager told me. I don't know how you won't have a green wrist from that, lol.
Old 14 January 2023, 10:29 AM   #7
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I worry about the same wrist turning green issue with Tudor full bronze blackbay.

That's what keeping me from buying one.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:53 AM   #8
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
I worry about the same wrist turning green issue with Tudor full bronze blackbay.

I feel this would only be an issue if you dont shower regularly
Old 16 January 2023, 03:47 PM   #9
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I feel this would only be an issue if you dont shower regularly
Well, yes, you will turn green, just not from a watch
Old 16 January 2023, 06:31 PM   #10
lab rat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post

Have Tudor 79250BM since GPHG win. It doesn't leave green marks on wrist
because case back is not made of bronze at all, and because strap goes under the
watch (it's not proper NATO style one). Plus, bronze used for the rest of
that watch is an alloy which doesn't really turn green as much as other bronze
watches. Obviously, if you sweat like in a sauna then you will have some greenish
marks, but in other scenarios you will be just fine.

However, 39mm boutique edition of the same watch paints the wrist completely
green because the contact area with bronze bracelet is too large. Stay away from that one.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2023, 04:03 PM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Sprite zero,few drops lemon juice .Immerse for 15 min .Wash off.Like new .

The bronzo,not your arm.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2023, 02:28 PM   #12
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Sprite zero,few drops lemon juice .Immerse for 15 min .Wash off.Like new .

The bronzo,not your arm.
I don't experience the green issue, but what does this recommendation do? I would assume something with PH since it's acidic. Does it seal it somehow or clean it?

I am glad you added the last sentence, I had never heard this tip and literally wouldn't have known where the sprite went
Old 30 January 2023, 12:22 AM   #13
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I want to get a natural patina over time, don't want to change it or rush (obviously that's what I'm getting on my arm). I would be hesitant to put anything on the watch that could change the way it patinas. The green hue washes off my arm pretty easily so not that big of a deal really.

It has been a long time since i was in chemistry class. What i still don't understand is if it is the watch or the person.

I think one other poster indicated they had the same watch (PAM968) but didn't experience this issue. I don't know what people are referring to re showing. Are you saying you shower with your watch on?? I shower every day, without a watch on, if that makes any difference. However, I do wear that particular watch more snug than others because of the weight and i don't want it flopping around on my wrist. Maybe that's it.

In any event, still love the watch and will keep it in the rotation and deal with washing my arm after use.
Old 30 January 2023, 02:56 AM   #14
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Lower quality vintage watches had brass cases that were chrome plated.
Once the plating wore off and the brass was exposed, it would start to "rot" and get pits as a result.
I'm sure some of these alloys are better. But I'm pretty sure some are the same as those old watches.

I just can't bring myself to buy a brass case watch for that reason.

Turning skin green is a very common reaction to brass.
If it is happening to you, pretty sure the salts from four skin are penetrating the brass. Which will cause the pitting over time.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 02:50 PM   #15
donas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Lower quality vintage watches had brass cases that were chrome plated.
Once the plating wore off and the brass was exposed, it would start to "rot" and get pits as a result.
I'm sure some of these alloys are better. But I'm pretty sure some are the same as those old watches.

I just can't bring myself to buy a brass case watch for that reason.

Turning skin green is a very common reaction to brass.
If it is happening to you, pretty sure the salts from four skin are penetrating the brass. Which will cause the pitting over time.
Though both Brass and Bronze are alloys of Copper, they are not the same. Possibly, a very low end watch would use Brass as a case material, but I have never personally seen a brass cased watch. Panerai, Oris, Breitling, Tudor etc all use solid Bronze. Even at that, all Bronze is not the same either. Panerai Bronze is known for its potential to show extensive patina, this is because they use phosphor bronze which is 92% copper and only 8% tin. Many of the other brands listed use an Aluminum Bronze. The make up of this varies between 6-10% aluminum and 6-10% Nickle. These will not patina near the extent of Panerai but will show more of just a darkening.

Granted, they aren't for everyone, but I believe you may have the wrong view of bronze watches. Personally, I own three and love them all with my Bronzo being my daily wear. A bronze watch just feels so much warmer than stainless, much like a precious metal time piece. I'm not sure I could possibly abuse one of my bronze watches enough in my lifetime for it to show a single sign of pitting or other deuteriation. YMMV
Old 1 February 2023, 04:48 AM   #16
Dadnatron
"TRF" Member

I just purchased the Blue Abisso 42mm. The titanium case back keeps most of the bronze from contacting my skin, however, I recently wore it during some golf practice, and the angle of my wrist must have pushed the case up against the bronze, because I noticed a little green mark afterwards. This came off with a Mom wash (spit and wipe) without issue.

Other than that specific incident, haven't had any issues. But it is brand new and only worn about a week.
Dadnatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
968 , bronzo