The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 1 February 2023, 06:00 PM   #31
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Perfect, thanks.
Old 4 February 2023, 05:40 PM   #32
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Or, might the other luxury brands taking a page from Rolex? Since they can't just turn up voracious demand, they will dial back supply, a scarcity for some models, and create an air of exclusivity.
That's a winning formula, so I would expect GS to do something along those lines.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 05:43 PM   #33
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
14k for an SBGW is too much. It's a nice dial and I like it. But it's way overpriced IMO
I like the watch and understand the extreme craftsmanship that goes into that dial...but then they pair it will gold plated hands

If you're going to go to that level of extreme detail at least complete the set with solid gold hands.
Old 4 February 2023, 09:52 PM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
I like the watch and understand the extreme craftsmanship that goes into that dial...but then they pair it will gold plated hands

If you're going to go to that level of extreme detail at least complete the set with solid gold hands.

I hadn’t noticed that. Poor choice by GS for sure. That’s a detail that kills the watch for me.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2023, 10:28 PM   #35
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Too Many Limited Editions

Cost cutting. Someone in GS higher echelon decision making is losing their direction. Has GS ever had gold hands in their regular steel models?

Omega use gold hands. Rolex use gold hands. So do every haute horologie manufacture. If GS is trying to compete in this tier, that’s their choice. It’s not even a lot of money given how light the hands are. The finishing of GS hands are very very good though. I give them that.

However, here they are maki-e so … different again. The labour intensive nature takes it up a notch.

I’ve stopped following GS. If it’s a colour combination I like, they don’t make it anymore or it’s in a PM case. I’d rather they just keep making tried and tested combinations people like so that they can buy it.

For not much more, I could buy a solid gold cased Omega. Or a second hand Moser. And my first ALS was only 20-25 percent more than what this cost.

Value there.

As for Usushi dials? How much was the Kurono?
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2023, 02:41 AM   #36
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This one gets the solid gold hands and markers treatment !

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgz005j

Steel or titanium cased references get the gold or rhodium plated brass. Still finely finished, but not precious metal.

It's something that is kind of annoying about GS. Intense attention to detail on some facets....blatant cost cutting on others.
Old 5 February 2023, 11:12 PM   #37
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Anyone agree with me that Grand Seiko is killing their brand by continually releasing suspect Limited Editions instead of focusing on a few key styles of watches to define the brand?

Omega do the same but still have 2 or 3 models that are the staple of the brand.

I would argue that GS needs a couple of staples and put all their energy resolving their thickness, bracelets, case sizes and ergonomics.

If they did this they would rule the Luxury watch market.
100%.

I love the chronograph gmt diver they have but the thing is 45mm….

There’s no way to wear a 45mm watch unless you are 6’6 and 275 lbs lol
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 04:54 AM   #38
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
100%.

I love the chronograph gmt diver they have but the thing is 45mm….

There’s no way to wear a 45mm watch unless you are 6’6 and 275 lbs lol

45mm is just a number.

It really depends on the details of the watch (especially lug to lug) and how it wears (shape of lugs, design, case back shape).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2023, 05:03 AM   #39
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Cost cutting. Someone in GS higher echelon decision making is losing their direction. Has GS ever had gold hands in their regular steel models?

Omega use gold hands. Rolex use gold hands. So do every haute horologie manufacture. If GS is trying to compete in this tier, that’s their choice. It’s not even a lot of money given how light the hands are. The finishing of GS hands are very very good though. I give them that.

However, here they are maki-e so … different again. The labour intensive nature takes it up a notch.

I’ve stopped following GS. If it’s a colour combination I like, they don’t make it anymore or it’s in a PM case. I’d rather they just keep making tried and tested combinations people like so that they can buy it.

For not much more, I could buy a solid gold cased Omega. Or a second hand Moser. And my first ALS was only 20-25 percent more than what this cost.

Value there.

As for Usushi dials? How much was the Kurono?
Omega uses rhodium plate on their steel watches.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 04:57 PM   #40
rolexgs
Banned

stunning watch! i would buy one when i see one below $10,000 in the secondary market.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 03:15 AM   #41
Chas58
"TRF" Member

Literally 50% of the Grand Seiko releases last year were limited edition.

I don't know why one would pay retail for a GS, but I guess an LE is a reason to make people think they should pay MSRP.

Interestingly, between GS and Seiko, they released on average a watch a day (and that doesn't include the other branches of the Seiko family tree).
Chas58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 12:18 PM   #42
taxidriver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas58 View Post
Literally 50% of the Grand Seiko releases last year were limited edition.

I don't know why one would pay retail for a GS, but I guess an LE is a reason to make people think they should pay MSRP.

Interestingly, between GS and Seiko, they released on average a watch a day (and that doesn't include the other branches of the Seiko family tree).

Agree with you. Marketing strategy letting us know its limited but the numbers produce is more than what the actual buyer. Come to think its just a label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
taxidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2023, 02:57 AM   #43
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Hi, where does it say that it has gold plated hands? According to the Hodinkee article they are "24-karat gold indices":

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/gr...e-wristwatches