The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 April 2024, 01:13 PM   #1
Rexford237
"TRF" Member

Advice on sending in Omega Speedy for warranty service

I own an Omega Speedy (3861) and have some issues that need to be addressed under warranty. But since I want to be in full control, I am going to personally send the watch into the Swatch Group myself versus going through the AD. I've learned the hard way, when you go through the AD, the watch company won't speak to you as the watch owner (only the AD).

That being said, can someone give any advice on the best shipper (i.e. FedEx, UPS, etc.)? That is if there is such a thing as a best shipper for an expensive timepiece. This ties in with my concern about purchasing insurance for the watch before I ship. I have no idea about how much that will cost.

I've never shipped one of my expensive watches out (myself) and simply want to ensure I cover all bases before relinquishing the watch to the shipper. Obviously, it goes without saying, I am fully aware I need to wrap it thoroughly in bubble wrap and peanuts and place it inside a sturdy box.

Thanks for any thoughts here.
Rexford237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 09:49 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have not shipped directly to Omega before but would have a conversation with them regarding what they need from you. I would assume they are like Rolex and are very specific about packaging and shipping. Hodinkee is the insurance and as easy as going to the site and signing up. Price typically is $10 per $1000 in watch value per year provided you do not live in a high risk area. Once you have this sorted out please give us some information on what you find out.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:02 AM   #3
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Any shipper you listed will be fine and they will insure, won't be very much. Pretty standard, just send it
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 05:45 AM   #4
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
All I know is you have to be very careful when going with the standard insurance these shipping companies offer. I think most (if not all) have a relatively low cap on claims values for watches and jewellery. I always use a 3rd party insurer for this reason.

Ideal way ofc is to hand it over in person. Not always logistically possible, I understand.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 08:17 AM   #5
AlTinkster92
"TRF" Member

Were mine Id take it to my Omega dealer, let him ship it and that way you'll know it's safe and insured, just my 2 cants. Done this every time and never a issue. Al
AlTinkster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 08:44 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Why not call the Service Center you intend to use and ask them what is required for warranty work, and what sort of shipment they accept.

Not all Centers accept every shipping method due to their perceived risk.
Old 12 April 2024, 10:28 AM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Why not call the Service Center you intend to use and ask them what is required for warranty work, and what sort of shipment they accept.

Not all Centers accept every shipping method due to their perceived risk.
Yeah, I agree: call customer service and ask what they prefer. One time I even asked them to send me a label (overnight, insured), and they did! Your mileage may vary...
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 10:30 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Luckily I live within an hour of Rolex and Omega service centers.

That said, I’d call as Larry suggested.

Good luck and hope you get your issues sorted
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 02:51 PM   #9
Rexford237
"TRF" Member

Looks like I am going to have to call the Swatch Group back. When I spoke to them previously, they simply advised me to shop around. Not much help there.

I did speak with Goin' Postal today (which provides shipment through all the major carriers). I also contacted a local UPS store. Both of them gave me quotes for overnight delivery to the Swatch Group along with insurance that supposedly covers loss or theft during shipping (to include expensive jewelry).

However, when I've search the web, I see various pieces of information. Some of it suggests these shippers, such as UPS, have limits on what they'll cover - relating to such things as jewelry.

I want to be the shipper versus going back through the AD. This allows me to be in control of the warranty service. Otherwise, the service center won't speak to me - as I found out during the last warranty service.

I won't ship until I get something in writing from the shipper showing that they will cover the full value of my Speedy in the event of theft, loss, etc. Looks like I've got more investigation to do. Thanks for the replies here.
Old 12 April 2024, 08:30 PM   #10
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
I recently had some warranty work done on a Ulysse Nardin I own. Ulysse sent me all the packing material and pre paid FedEx label. Maybe see if Omega offers similar. Otherwise I think I would go to a pack and ship place and let them handle it. In general I think it is suggested the watch be double boxed. Good luck.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2024, 11:33 PM   #11
Jay_O
"TRF" Member

I just had to send my Speedy in for warranty work. I went through my local AD, which wasn't even the store I bought the watch from, and the whole process couldn't have gone smoother. I had the watch back in 4 weeks, which was much sooner than I expected.
I understand your reasoning for wanting to send it in yourself, but I feel the risks outweigh the benefit of being able to talk to Omega directly. If you have a decent AD, there should not be any issues with dialog between you, the AD and Omega. Also, if anything happens during shipping it will be a complete nightmare to deal with if you are the one who ships the watch. If it's the AD, then it's their problem and probably a much easier resolution.
Jay_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 09:06 AM   #12
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford237 View Post
I want to be the shipper versus going back through the AD. This allows me to be in control of the warranty service. Otherwise, the service center won't speak to me - as I found out during the last warranty service.
I read on a different wristwatch forum that Omega's portal for communicating status directly to the customer has been down for weeks.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 11:50 AM   #13
fliegenwulf
"TRF" Member

Some authorized service centers have very clear requirements for packing/shipping. I know Rolex will send their packing and carrier instructions that need to be followed.

Better to call and check with the service center first.
fliegenwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 02:27 PM   #14
JAJ2349
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fifty Fathoms
UPS insured overnight with a signature requirement, never an issue.

However, I still don’t believe you will have “total control.” In October of 2019, I sent my white gold Coaxial LE to the Secaucus service center after speaking with a representative. I only heard from the service center twice. I received a confirmation that they had received the watch with an approximate date when the work would begin and a second confirmation letting me know the work was finished and the watch was on its way back to me.

I left numerous voice messages along with a few emails while the watch was at the service center. I only received a reply via email with an approximate eta, but never responding to my specific questions.
JAJ2349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2024, 02:27 PM   #15
Rexford237
"TRF" Member

This whole shipping issue seems so convoluted. Information online suggests all these limitations with any type of jewelry (including watches). But when I shipped UPS, the local store claimed my Omega Speedy was covered.

Thankfully, the Swatch Group did confirm they received my watch last Monday so it's basically a moot point now with this particular watch. But if I had any problems (thankfully I did not), the true test would've been how a claim would have been settled!

Perhaps those people who buy/sell on Chrono24 have a preferred shipping method. There has to be some best answer to this whole shipping topic. At any rate, thanks for the replies here.
Old 23 April 2024, 10:57 AM   #16
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford237 View Post
This whole shipping issue seems so convoluted. Information online suggests all these limitations with any type of jewelry (including watches). But when I shipped UPS, the local store claimed my Omega Speedy was covered.

Thankfully, the Swatch Group did confirm they received my watch last Monday so it's basically a moot point now with this particular watch. But if I had any problems (thankfully I did not), the true test would've been how a claim would have been settled!

Perhaps those people who buy/sell on Chrono24 have a preferred shipping method. There has to be some best answer to this whole shipping topic. At any rate, thanks for the replies here.
They cover the item with secondary insurance like Parcel Pro.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #17
Nightscope817
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126324 DJ Palm
I had my 1861 serviced late last year due to a broken mainspring. I brought it to a local AD to handle the service, which at the time took about 6 weeks. My watch was out of warranty by about 5 months when I brought it in, and to my surprise, they covered the cost of the service. Not sure what your issues are, but just wanted to say that some ADs can take the headache out of coordinating the service and be helpful in other ways.
Nightscope817 is online now   Reply With Quote