The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 4 August 2018, 12:47 AM   #1
R0BERT
"TRF" Member

New guy post - No love for the Aqua Terra GMT?

Hello all, new guy here making his first post. Hoping you all would indulge a few questions.

I'm *this* close to buying my 1st Omega, and I've all but landed on the Aqua Terra GMT with the black dial/steel bracelet (ref 231.10.43.22.01.001 - I'd post a link but since I'm new I cannot).

I wanted to do some reading on it first and have found relatively little online about it. This watch ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of coverage in reviews and forums for this model. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
R0BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 03:02 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Welcome to TRF. I think you’ll enjoy the community and enthusiasm here.

That Aqua Terra is probably pretty rare, especially when compared to the popular non-GMT version (like the one I own). I can understand why reviews and other materials are sparse.

It does have a lot in common with the basic Aqua Terra, though, so I guess you might get a sense from reviews of it.

I can report that my base Aqua Terra is versatile, comfortable, and very accurate and stable. I enjoy the twisted lugs, and the handsome mix of polished and satin finishes. Legibility is excellent. The 60-hour reserve is a plus.

One thing I'll point out: the clasp is a nice, concealed sort, but that means no micro-adjustment, so you may have to tinker with the fit a couple of times before you get it worked out. I wear mine a tad looser than some other watches, just so I'll have a little extra room when my wrist expands from weather or activity.

I’ll help out with Omega’s stock photo of the reference you’re looking at...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 06:03 AM   #3
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
I think it is a beautiful watch. Hard to say why there is not much buzz around it.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you want a dressy yet still somewhat sporty GMT, I don't think you can go wrong with that Omega. It's a great looking watch and very well made.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 10:08 AM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I've seriously considered one a number of times. For me, it's something about the odd numbered hour markers on the dial that just look a bit strange. That, and the fact that I have a GMT-C seals the argument.
Old 6 August 2018, 12:34 PM   #6
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
I've seriously considered one a number of times. For me, it's something about the odd numbered hour markers on the dial that just look a bit strange. That, and the fact that I have a GMT-C seals the argument.
I think you nailed it. I like the look, but I wonder if it looks too "sporty" for a watch that leans to the dressy side. So some may look at it being in no man's land and others may think "wow" it fits so many situations!
Old 6 August 2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
I think you nailed it. I like the look, but I wonder if it looks too "sporty" for a watch that leans to the dressy side. So some may look at it being in no man's land and others may think "wow" it fits so many situations!
I think the odd numbers are a pretty clean way of showing the GMT without screaming "IT'S A GMT" due to the presence of the arrow markers and not having a numbered bezel. I also like having the date at 6 for symmetry. I agree that it's a sort of "no man's land" watch, being both dressy and sporty yet neither at the same time, if that makes sense, but it seems to work and I could see the watch being worn in a number of situations, yet it probably wouldn't be my first choice in any of them if I owned a number of watches. What it would work well for, in my opinion, is as a travel watch where you needed to know two timezones and were going to dress both up and down. "No man's land" watches like this Aquaterra, in my opinion, include the IWC Portuguese Chronograph and the Rolex Oyster Perpetual. They are very versatile in a number of situations, yet don't fit perfectly in most of them, yet they are the best way to go if one only has one watch.
Old 6 August 2018, 11:41 PM   #8
R0BERT
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all for the feedback! The points made fit well with my thinking. This will be my first foray into a luxury watch, and I have no idea when I might get more... so I may indeed be a One Watch guy for a while. Knowing that, I wanted a look that was easy to dress up while still being sporty enough to wear with shorts.

I appreciate the discussion, and will be sure to post a wrist shot once I finally get it!
Old 7 August 2018, 11:02 AM   #9
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0BERT View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback! The points made fit well with my thinking. This will be my first foray into a luxury watch, and I have no idea when I might get more... so I may indeed be a One Watch guy for a while. Knowing that, I wanted a look that was easy to dress up while still being sporty enough to wear with shorts.

I appreciate the discussion, and will be sure to post a wrist shot once I finally get it!
If you're going to be a "one watch guy" for a while and you want a GMT, I think this Omega is an excellent choice.
Old 7 August 2018, 11:49 AM   #10
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Hello all, new guy here making his first post. Hoping you all would indulge a few questions.

I'm *this* close to buying my 1st Omega, and I've all but landed on the Aqua Terra GMT with the black dial/steel bracelet (ref 231.10.43.22.01.001 - I'd post a link but since I'm new I cannot).

I wanted to do some reading on it first and have found relatively little online about it. This watch ticks a lot of boxes for me but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of coverage in reviews and forums for this model. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the PO GMTs.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 11:47 AM   #11
Lark
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I have the 41mm AT and love it. I had looked at the GMT but IMHO the increase in size made the proportions a bit off. Seems a bit chubby if that makes sense.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:16 AM   #12
R0BERT
"TRF" Member

I got the watch!

I just picked up the piece at the OB yesterday and I'm in love. Cannot believe how good it looks on the wrist. Once I get image privileges I'll post some glamour shots.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
Old 14 August 2018, 08:20 PM   #13
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
I just picked up the piece at the OB yesterday and I'm in love. Cannot believe how good it looks on the wrist. Once I get image privileges I'll post some glamour shots.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
Cool! Glad to hear of the exciting new watch for you. Congratulations!
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:47 AM   #14
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I've just come up with a potential fix for my issues with the AT GMT. If Omega would swap the chapter ring from a 60 minute model to a luminous 24 hour model somewhat similar to the Breitling below and lose the odd numbers on the dial, that might make me take a harder look. Obviously, the GMT hand would need to be longer to point to the references out at the perimeter of the dial.

I love the AT, and I don't like the extremely thick 600m case on the PO GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aerospace chapter ring.JPG (25.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 15 August 2018, 06:56 AM   #15
R0BERT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
I think I've just come up with a potential fix for my issues with the AT GMT. If Omega would swap the chapter ring from a 60 minute model to a luminous 24 hour model somewhat similar to the Breitling below and lose the odd numbers on the dial, that might make me take a harder look. Obviously, the GMT hand would need to be longer to point to the references out at the perimeter of the dial.

I love the AT, and I don't like the extremely thick 600m case on the PO GMT.
It's a fair point. My counter is that the GMT hand is the same length as the regular hour hand, making hour+minute reads easy for either time zone.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:58 PM   #16
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I’ve always like Omega’s and the Aqua Terra line. My only Omega is a Planet Ocean, not as versatile as the AT, but I’ve been very happy with it. And the GMT feature on a watch is a plus, I travel a lot. That is a good looking watch, hope you enjoy it.
Old 15 August 2018, 11:45 PM   #17
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a fair point. My counter is that the GMT hand is the same length as the regular hour hand, making hour+minute reads easy for either time zone.
You're probably right. Omega has balanced the hand size and lume plots so they are intuitive in low or no light. So, just lose the odd numbers, replace the chapter ring and they have a Winner!