The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 26 January 2017, 05:13 PM   #1
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

Rolex Dealers Online

I am looking to buy a nice Rolex Submariner 16610. It will be my first rolex purchase and while i want a good price, i am more concerned with making sure i get one that is 100% legit, authentic, genuine Rolex. I am seeing that there are too many that sell some watches that have an aftermarket dial or some "custom" feature. that scares me. I have been reading up as much as i can here and on blogs like Hodinkee to find the best dealers.

i would prefer to get a 1 year warranty from an established company.

i would appreciate any advice or tips. or maybe even a referral.

thnx.

james
jamesmayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Bjjdude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Check out the FOR SALE sections here. I recommend buying from a trusted seller from here. Good luck
Bjjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Rackness
"TRF" Member

^^^ this the trusted sellers here have stellar reputations for good reason. You can buy with confidence.
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 05:28 PM   #4
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

thanks. but i prefer to buy from a company that stands behind the deal. no disrespect.
any referrals?
Old 26 January 2017, 06:26 PM   #5
SingaporeSub88
"TRF" Member

I bought my Sub from TWCNY (http://thewatchcollectorny.com/). I found it through these forums and he was excellent to deal with. Gil is one of the good guys and a lot of people on these forums have bought from him.

Buy with confidence!
SingaporeSub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmayfield View Post
I am looking to buy a nice Rolex Submariner 16610. It will be my first rolex purchase and while i want a good price, i am more concerned with making sure i get one that is 100% legit, authentic, genuine Rolex. I am seeing that there are too many that sell some watches that have an aftermarket dial or some "custom" feature. that scares me. I have been reading up as much as i can here and on blogs like Hodinkee to find the best dealers.

i would prefer to get a 1 year warranty from an established company.

i would appreciate any advice or tips. or maybe even a referral.

thnx.

james

Check out the "Who's Who" section on these forums and you will see the reviews from people buying from the trusted sellers. I personally have bought from DavidSW and Takuya and they were both excellent.
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 06:38 PM   #7
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
thanks. but i prefer to buy from a company that stands behind the deal. no disrespect.
any referrals?
A Rolex AD?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 06:53 PM   #8
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
any referrals?
Here is a "stand behind the deal" from one of the trusted sellers I recommended here. I bought a Sub C Date from him two weeks ago. It was brand new from an AD with my name on the warranty card. It came with an appraisal for full retail value on an AD letter head.

The watch was great but there was a foreign substance under the crystal. I made a post on the forums asking the members if I should send it off for warranty work to get it removed or just wait until natural service was due. I didn't even reach out to the seller and he read my post and called me the next day. He paid for return shipping and had the AD ship me out a brand new one with my name on the card (no shipping charges either way.)

You can rest assured that these trusted sellers live by their reputation and you can get one straight from an authorized dealer (through the trusted seller) at a discounted rate. The seller that did this was Takuya but I can assure you that any of the trusted sellers would do the same.
Old 26 January 2017, 06:59 PM   #9
attic_dude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
Here is a "stand behind the deal" from one of the trusted sellers I recommended here. I bought a Sub C Date from him two weeks ago. It was brand new from an AD with my name on the warranty card. It came with an appraisal for full retail value on an AD letter head.

The watch was great but there was a foreign substance under the crystal. I made a post on the forums asking the members if I should send it off for warranty work to get it removed or just wait until natural service was due. I didn't even reach out to the seller and he read my post and called me the next day. He paid for return shipping and had the AD ship me out a brand new one with my name on the card (no shipping charges either way.)

You can rest assured that these trusted sellers live by their reputation and you can get one straight from an authorized dealer (through the trusted seller) at a discounted rate. The seller that did this was Takuya but I can assure you that any of the trusted sellers would do the same.
Simply amazing! Trusted sellers truly are stand up guys! I hope to purchase from TRF in the near future. I wanna experience service like this!
attic_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 07:18 PM   #10
Rackness
"TRF" Member

Do keep in mind trusted sellers moniker is not just a reference to anyone selling on the forums. The trusted sellers are businesses and they value their reputations and stand behind their sales. If you want 100% piece of mind an AD is your best option but you will most likely pay more to go that route.
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 07:53 PM   #11
giskard
"TRF" Member

Comes for advice. Ignores the advice. You can lead a horse to water...
giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 08:02 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that last point. A few maybe, but not all...and don't forget that "trusted seller" is an informal term. TRF doesn't officially endorse anyone.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 10:17 PM   #13
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
any referrals?
Go to 5th Avenue, Rolex Boutique
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2017, 10:48 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Go to 5th Avenue, Rolex Boutique
Exactly, buy from Rolex based on your criteria
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 02:53 AM   #15
jamesmayfield
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the great tips. Someone recommended also Jomashop for new and Bob's Watches for preowned. Both seem to be pretty large dealers.

But when i research on blogs like Hodinkee i see that they have never written about them. Odd?
Old 27 January 2017, 03:20 AM   #16
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
First, Rolex does not have any authorized dealers "on line". This is USA but I'm sure that it applies worldwide. You have to go to a an authorized dealer's store (brick and mortar). Don't be fooled by online dealers selling grey market or preowned offering a warranty. It ain't from Rolex. If you need service, and send it to Rolex along with third party warranty, they'll laugh. Buy from an authorized dealer and quit trying to get a "best price".
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 03:22 AM   #17
JimMiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the great tips. Someone recommended also Jomashop for new and Bob's Watches for preowned. Both seem to be pretty large dealers.
I think the vast majority here would pick certain trusted sellers over jomashop. I think Bob's Watches is OK, though.

Hodinkee doesn't review sellers. These days, that would probably be a conflict of interest.
JimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 05:51 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMiller View Post
I think the vast majority here would pick certain trusted sellers over jomashop. I think Bob's Watches is OK, though.

Hodinkee doesn't review sellers. These days, that would probably be a conflict of interest.
Plus these guys do their own warranty work I believe, with the trusted sellers here they give you the 5 year Rolex warranty. If you want a discontinued model like the 16610 you'd better go with a trusted seller here and do a lot of research here to find the right one. This site makes Hodinkee look like nursery school, don't look to them or any other review site.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 05:56 AM   #19
CigarNarwhal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing.
Bobs watches is legitimate, but expect to pay a premium for anything they're selling. Jomashop is also fine, never had any trouble from them either. Although in all honesty my best experiences have been with trusted sellers here on the forums, but YMMV.

Cheers,
Jonathon.
CigarNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:03 AM   #20
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
I am looking to buy a nice Rolex Submariner 16610.
You will need to go used for that, and I'd recommend surfing the classifieds here, or the sites of some of the trusted sellers - Takuya (Thanh Do) I can vouch for as top notch, or someone like DavidSW, while I've never dealt with, have yet to hear anything bad.

But if you mean a new model ceramic Sub, that would be the 116610...again the trusted sellers can do well, or you can try to work with a local AD. If you think you'll be buying more in the future, starting a good relationship with one isn't a bad thing to do.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:06 AM   #21
JimMiller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you want a discontinued model like the 16610 you'd better go with a trusted seller here and do a lot of research here to find the right one.
Plus, if you buy a used watch and get it serviced by Rolex, you now have a 2-year Rolex warranty on basically everything but the bracelet/strap.

Given how uncomfortable OP is, he should just find one at some AD.
JimMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:13 AM   #22
dgobin208
"TRF" Member

Quote:

But when i research on blogs like Hodinkee i see that they have never written about them. Odd?
I've bought from jomashop a number of times and traded some of those watches into dealers later. No issues they are legit in my experiences. You won't get a warranty card but new prices for most watches are good. However these days like others have said I go almost exclusively through trusted sellers. I've bought, sold, and traded through DavidSW probably 20 watches through him. He is an absolute professional and has his own site. Really don't know about his policy for watches with issues as it's never come up.
dgobin208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 06:15 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
There's Costco and Amazon.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 07:05 AM   #24
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that last point. A few maybe, but not all...and don't forget that "trusted seller" is an informal term. TRF doesn't officially endorse anyone.
Yeah true.. I meant to say the most highly respected Trusted sellers on these forums. The ones that everyone on these forums are always praising. I didn't mean every single one who posts for sale on these forums. I need to stop posting late at night lol.
Old 27 January 2017, 07:11 AM   #25
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
There's Costco and Amazon.
They are two huge companies.
Old 27 January 2017, 07:13 AM   #26
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Wingate and Demesy both here in Texas.
I have bought watches from both.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #27
blue16613
Banned

Quote:

Wow, I'm impressed. Thanks for sharing this experience with us.
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 07:16 AM   #28
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
From your criteria, it sounds as if you would be more comfortable buying from a Rolex AD.

If you do decide to make an online purchase, there are some very highly respected sellers right here on TRF. Do your homework and you'll be fine.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 07:20 AM   #29
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Are you in the US? Manhattan? DavidSW is whom I purchased my 16610 from (I think 6 years ago). It's been the perfect watch for me for years. Good luck
Old 27 January 2017, 07:29 AM   #30
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

Sdwatches.com

Aka Tony Geha also on the board. Reputable guy here with a website, meets ur criteria. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote