The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2019, 03:47 AM   #1
F83
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko Spring Drive Technical Question

Ok, I'm hoping somebody here can help me with a fact based answer.

Bought a second hand Snowflake (pictured below). Beautiful watch. Pristine condition - absolutely perfect. Plus it's the older model that I prefer (with Seiko displayed on the top of the watch face). Not a scratch on it.

When I got the watch - I believe it had not been running for some time. I filled the power reserve fully and got it going. In the first 6 hours or so of running, it "stopped" running twice. Second hand simply stopped moving - once for about 5 minutes and once for about 15 minutes. In each case then after a bit of moving it around, it just started again.

Since then (about 18 hours or so) it's worked perfectly. Timed it on my Toolwatch app and it timed to perfect time. 0.0 seconds off after about 18 hours.

So, I can return this thing for another week or so - plus I have a dealer warranty which will go longer but the question is this;

Is this a Springdrive thing? Obviously this is a very different movement than a regular mechanical - or any other kind of movement out there frankly.

The watch is giving every impression that it just took a little bit to get going again after being stopped - and now its running fine. Almost had me wonder if there's a capacitor in there or something that needs to charge up a bit after being drained by sitting on the shelf. Obviously if I can't be confident in the watch's quality I'll return it - or get it fixed - but I wonder if this is a known issue with Springdrives that haven't been running for a while. Any insight would be helpful.

F83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 08:22 AM   #2
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I can’t answer your question but that’s a stunner of a watch!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I cannot really help you, but I bought a brand new Snowflake a few months ago. I haven't worn it much, it stopped when running out of power a few times. One time I set it and the seconds hand was just flying around the dial, real fast, and since I paid plenty, I was pretty upset. I pulled out the crown set it again and it has been fine. I have a few spring drives, and while I don't think about it much, I'd hate to have a problem with them, and fear it would be a bigger hassle to service than other watches. I don't know the intricacies and details of the spring drive, but if it's old, and yours may be on the border, it may need a little service, like any other watch may. Good luck, keep an eye on it!
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 09:49 AM   #4
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonewalk View Post
I cannot really help you, but I bought a brand new Snowflake a few months ago. I haven't worn it much, it stopped when running out of power a few times. One time I set it and the seconds hand was just flying around the dial, real fast, and since I paid plenty, I was pretty upset. I pulled out the crown set it again and it has been fine. I have a few spring drives, and while I don't think about it much, I'd hate to have a problem with them, and fear it would be a bigger hassle to service than other watches. I don't know the intricacies and details of the spring drive, but if it's old, and yours may be on the border, it may need a little service, like any other watch may. Good luck, keep an eye on it!
The flying around second hand you mention is before the electro magnetic brake regulates the movement.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
The flying around second hand you mention is before the electro magnetic brake regulates the movement.
thanks! so... nothing to worry about?
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 06:23 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

the stopping was weird and definitely shouldn't happen. but if its running perfectly now, then just keep monitoring it I guess.

btw, nice watch :)
stockae92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 06:28 AM   #7
And
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
It shouldn’t stop running. It isn’t a spring drive thing. It has a power reserve and if it has power it should run. Not running isn’t normal.
Old 12 July 2019, 07:45 AM   #8
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

I have a Spring Drive GMT. Mine would act up. When it had been sitting for a week or so and was totally dead I would wind it to get it going and the second hand would fly. Running really fast and after about 30-45 sec it would settle in. Then it would just run slow. loose time. Way out of character for it. I sent it in and had it serviced and so far has been on the money! It may just need a service. See If they would cover a service.
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 05:50 AM   #9
F83
"TRF" Member

Well it stopped again and so now it's going back. Beautiful watch but I have the ability to buy a different one from the AD. I'm sure they'll get it serviced and working properly.
F83 is offline   Reply With Quote