The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 November 2018, 08:57 PM   #1
L.W.C
Banned

A Bolted Down Safe For My Watch Collection in the U.K

Hi everyone,

As my watch collection is growing, it’s time to invest in a Heavy Duty safe that I would want to bolt down to a concrete floor and was wondering if any of the U.K chaps on the forum recommend any?

Much appreciated!
L.W.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Kenny Powers
Banned

I'll keep your new aquanaut and daytona safe for you, if you wish.
Kenny Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:12 PM   #3
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I bought the Yale Locks YSM400EG1, lots of room, didnt break the bank, is certified and I have it bolted to both the floor and wall where it is located.
Old 13 November 2018, 09:20 PM   #4
L.W.C
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
I'll keep your new aquanaut and daytona safe for you, if you wish.

send me ur address
Old 13 November 2018, 09:22 PM   #5
L.W.C
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
I bought the Yale Locks YSM400EG1, lots of room, didnt break the bank, is certified and I have it bolted to both the floor and wall where it is located.

Thanks bud I’ll check it out
Old 13 November 2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Call a locksmith in your area. They will give you the best expert advice.

You want to make certain you are buying a safe, and not a fire resistant security cabinet. They look similar, both will be certified, but only a safe is a safe.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:48 PM   #7
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I was recently looking at this option in a local Locksmiths!

Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:53 PM   #8
james.l
"TRF" Member

Burton eurovault aver s2

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
james.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 10:44 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Call a locksmith in your area. They will give you the best expert advice.

You want to make certain you are buying a safe, and not a fire resistant security cabinet. They look similar, both will be certified, but only a safe is a safe.

I 2nd that idea - also, the safe movers/installers in your area may have some leads to pre-owned safes from owners who are upgrading. That could save some £’s - - -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:47 AM   #10
Flyinghunter
"TRF" Member

There is a significant difference between a RSC rated and TL rated safe. Research both and base your decision on the value of what you're protecting.
Flyinghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 11:57 AM   #11
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Most "safes" are really just considered residential security containers. It really just depends how much you want to spend. Something TL rated is much more expensive and better security. Get something with a high fire rating. Any safe can be broken in to. Its just a matter of how much time someone has. If they dont know you have a safe to begin with they probably wont have the proper tools to break in anyway.

I would recommend "layering" your security such as home alarm or dog, or both. This would dramatically cut down on the time a crook would have to break into a high security safe.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:03 PM   #12
theloxmyth
Banned

FINDaLOCKSMITH.com

NON-PROFIT ALOA (Associated Locksmiths of America) offers this search tool.

This is the INTERNATIONAL search URL, for yunz guys on the other side of the pond:

FindALocksmith.com
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 06:55 PM   #13
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
I was recently looking at this option in a local Locksmiths!

I've got that safe, Brixia. Rated value £10k cash / £100k jewellery. My company does a bit of work for Burton Safes so I managed to get a decent discount from them. Ring them direct instead of going via a stockist to see what they can do on it.
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 09:07 PM   #14
theloxmyth
Banned

Arrr...IF IT'S electronic, don't trust it : (

I recommend mechanical comb. locks over electronic.
Old 16 November 2018, 08:10 AM   #15
rb250
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Seiko
Dial lock is best unless you plan on opening the safe many times a day. Now a days you can get some high quality digital locks but anything can fail. Dial lock is the way to go in my opinion.
rb250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 05:00 PM   #16
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
My advice would be to look for a used one.

I bought a 2000lbs+ "real" safe, not the pressed sheet of metal types that sell for a few hundred new. The cheap ones are so bad, (Centry safe for example) that you can saw them in half with a wood saw!

The one I bought was 350 euro used, dirt cheap, close to 10 grand new! When banks/companies etc want to get rid of old safes, they really become a problem, as removal and recycling can run in the thousands.

Safe sawing
Old 16 November 2018, 05:53 PM   #17
L.W.C
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
My advice would be to look for a used one.

I bought a 2000lbs+ "real" safe, not the pressed sheet of metal types that sell for a few hundred new. The cheap ones are so bad, (Centry safe for example) that you can saw them in half with a wood saw!

The one I bought was 350 euro used, dirt cheap, close to 10 grand new! When banks/companies etc want to get rid of old safes, they really become a problem, as removal and recycling can run in the thousands.

Safe sawing

That is scary!
Old 16 November 2018, 05:57 PM   #18
L.W.C
Banned

So far Im narrowed it down to this:

STRATFORD SX Mark 3 Safe

This safe is intended for protection of moderate risks and is particularly suitable for retail shop use. It has an anti-blowtorch door and body.

The SX Mark 3 safe is produced in three sizes, finished in handsome textured opaline with Dove Grey interior and fittings.

Robust power bent and electrically welded multiplex construction with no visible joins. Outer shell, 3/16" thick, encloses a fire resistant and anti-penetration monolith encasing a heavy metal inner body.

The inner body forms the main line of defence against burglary attack. Comprising steel and special drill and blowtorch resistant alloy, the inner body is built up to over 1" metal thickness over vital parts, welded together and locked in to resist delamination.

Overall protective body thickness is 4" (100 mm).

Unique new design incorporates 1 5/8" of protective metals, steel, alloy and manganese steel, designed to resist attacks by drills and oxy-acetylene blowtorch over the whole door surface, plus additional protection over locks. Door secured by three way sliding bolts plus fixed dog bolts on the hinge side of the door. The number of bolts varies according to the size of safe.

Standard locking — one nine lever double-bitted keylock. Keys normally supplied in duplicate; extra keys can only be supplied by making copies of originals. Additional keylock can be fitted, to give dual control. Locking by keyless combination can also be provided in addition to or in lieu of keylock.

Both live and dead re-locking devices are fitted to secure boltwork in the locked position should the main lock be disturbed by explosives or other means. A live relocking device, always on guard is set each time the safe is locked.

The lock is mounted on a sensitive plate which responds to any form of attack in the lock area and actuates one or more additional dead locks whose position can be varied. An extra thermal re-locking device is also fitted and operates should heat be applied to the safe door by a flame-cutting attack.
Old 17 November 2018, 10:49 AM   #19
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
I’ve got a Burg Wächter safe it’s 100k rated and being honest I’m pretty impressed with it!

At the end of the day if someone knows about your watches and really wants to get them they’ll get them, it’s more for insurance cover and the opportunist break in.

Mines bolted to the floor and also in a location where it’s very hard to get anyform of leverage onto it.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:14 PM   #20
L.W.C
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
I’ve got a Burg Wächter safe it’s 100k rated and being honest I’m pretty impressed with it!

At the end of the day if someone knows about your watches and really wants to get them they’ll get them, it’s more for insurance cover and the opportunist break in.

Mines bolted to the floor and also in a location where it’s very hard to get anyform of leverage onto it.

That brand was a short list as well but the max they do is £100k cover unfortunately!

I went for a grade 2 (up to £175k), I said the same thing to the owner of the safe company (no safe cannot be broken into) he said it’s true and that realistically they need a min of 4 hours and special tools to break into the model I have, so hopeful with the CCTV cameras around the house and Verisure Alarm system the Metropolitan police should be here within 4 hours

Yeah hiding it / bolting it down always helps as well, can’t wait for it to get installed! 1 week to go!

Sick of the trips to the bank to choose a watch for the week can’t wait to have a group reunion!

Cheers for the comment bud! Appreciate it!
Old 17 November 2018, 06:48 PM   #21
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.W.C View Post
That brand was a short list as well but the max they do is £100k cover unfortunately!

I went for a grade 2 (up to £175k), I said the same thing to the owner of the safe company (no safe cannot be broken into) he said it’s true and that realistically they need a min of 4 hours and special tools to break into the model I have, so hopeful with the CCTV cameras around the house and Verisure Alarm system the Metropolitan police should be here within 4 hours

Yeah hiding it / bolting it down always helps as well, can’t wait for it to get installed! 1 week to go!

Sick of the trips to the bank to choose a watch for the week can’t wait to have a group reunion!

Cheers for the comment bud! Appreciate it!
Are you sure?

They go up to 1mil valuables!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 06:59 PM   #22
L.W.C
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Are you sure?

They go up to 1mil valuables!

Haha I know what you mean The thing is any higher grade and it won’t fit in the space I’ve designated for the safe unfortunately!

The safe I’ve ordered has the following dimensions:

H X W x D (mm)
785 x 570 x 680

And the space I have is:

H X W x D (mm)
1180 x 580 x 2000

Therefore the Width will be a problem!
Old 18 November 2018, 05:12 AM   #23
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Curious.

Why only uk members?

I think the most creative and largest personal/residential safe and lock market is the U.S.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 05:24 AM   #24
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I have a bolt down safe and got mine from Insafe. Not cheap but insurance approved and I’m very happy with mine. I have one of these:

https://www.insafe.com/products/safes/eurograde/

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 07:15 AM   #25
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Chubb is a brand I would recommend.
Old 19 November 2018, 03:46 PM   #26
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Bolt down is mandatory, if yours will have that feature.

Thieves/Burglars will tip them on their backs to assist in prying doors, or just to be a__holes when they can't get in.

Then everything inside gets damaged.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:05 AM   #27
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Curious.

Why only uk members?

I think the most creative and largest personal/residential safe and lock market is the U.S.

It would have been prohibitively expensive shipping a safe from the US to UK, even before the GBP tanked, CJ. Nowadays, we’d have to take out a mortgage.

At least with UK opinions, OP is almost certain to be able to buy the same safe (or upgraded version) whereas not all American safes will be found here

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #28
qhbl
"TRF" Member

OP, please share some pictures. How many watches it can store etc?

Was the install expensive?

Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold Black Dial 116618LN - 2016
qhbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2018, 10:43 AM   #29
theloxmyth
Banned

Here is the US link for the non-profit ALOA site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Curious.

Why only uk members?

Here is the US link for the non-profit ALOA site:

Find A Locksmith in the USA

Old 28 November 2018, 11:08 AM   #30
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
I have a Sentry Supreme 5330, we used to use these at work for network drive backup tapes. I put a few pounds of silica gel inside to keep the moisture out. In the second picture you can see some damage to the top, they was when my son was trying to get back his iPhone. He couldn’t get in, but blemished my safe which I’ve had in my possession over 20 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote