The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2018, 02:11 AM   #1
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
BMW M5 Bavaria...

Looks boring, drives incredibly...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2...182600380.html

2018 BMW M5: Bavaria’s best has its mojo back

When I was younger and had nowhere near the money to be even imagining such things, the E60 M5 with its high-revving V-10 was the business. Wrapped in one of the tighter 5-series bodies BMW ever made, it had the right amount of sleeper looks and devilishness beneath the hood.

That’s no surprise. That’s the usually formula for the M5. It was BMW’s somewhat attainable ‘halo car’ — it showed the faithful what the brand was capable of doing.

The F10 M5, the one that followed the E60 and ended production 2017, was unfortunately in many BMW fans’ eyes, kaput. Some thought of it like an oversized sled on wheels. The F10 used the same platform as the 7-Series F01, which in turn was the same platform used for the Rolls Royce Ghost, just to give you an idea of its size. The steering was heavy, the car was heavy, and it had a turbo-charged engine. Blasphemy.

Enter the all-new, 2018 M5. Totally redesigned from the ground up, with a new stomping engine (although still turbocharged), and gasp, all wheel drive. But, these are good things.

All-wheel drive — yes it’s there, but it’s entirely defeatable and great. With it engaged, you’re still more rearward biased, but it’s using all four wheels to launch this Bavarian rocket — hitting 0-60 in a blistering 3.1 seconds, according to BMW. Now for the racers out there you can in the M mode settings put the M5 in total rear-wheel drive mode for your drifting pleasure.

Basically with this all-wheel drive system there are lots of advantages here (including tons of practicality in cold weather regions), with improved performance and only a marginal weight penalty, as far as I can see.

The heart of the M5 is the twin-turbocharged V-8, an evolution of the motor found in the previous generation. Here the 4.4-liter V-8 pumps out a robust 600 horsepower and 553 lb-ft of torque. The power comes on fast, especially in an aggressive M2 setting, and if you’re not careful and decide to mash the right pedal, the back wheels *will* peel out and your back end will fishtail (as Rick Newman discovered in the video above).

Complaints? People, especially those finicky BMW aficionados, love the fact that the M5 has and should be something of a sleeper car – meaning the general public doesn’t really know the performance the car brings. Well this M5 looks smart, and is handsome, but doesn’t really give you that look that this car has insane performance lurking underneath.

To each his own I suppose, but in this world of badge-envy people paying over $100,000 (price as tested here was $129,795) for a sports sedan do want it to look more dramatic, more special, than your run-of-the-mill 5-series. Thankfully for those inclined, there are any number of aftermarket body kits and tuners that can take your M5 to German touring car spec.

BMW’s M5 is better than ever. Did BMW need to improve its halo car, their Corvette if you will? Well, if you call yourself the Ultimate Driving Machine, you better have a car that lives and breathes that motto.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 02:55 AM   #2
nick c
Banned

As we speak, I’m looking at M5 2008 V-10 5L, I drove one last week. And what a monster. I’m thinking of adding another M car. The 2018 M5 is amazing and so much power.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:01 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Meh, I'll take a very good condition E39 instead, best looking BMW ever IMO.
Can't comment on the driving though, I'm sure the new one is a dream.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:24 AM   #4
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

That read like a fluff piece.

Hard pass for me. The M cars are only “M” in name these days. Nice cars for sure, but they’ve lost what used to make an M car special. I’d much rather have an AMG.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:33 AM   #5
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

The writer lives in my building. I’ve seen 488 Spyder, Hurcan, Vantage, 720S, and this M5 so far parked in here.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:41 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

Hard pass for me. The M cars are only “M” in name these days. Nice cars for sure, but they’ve lost what used to make an M car special. I’d much rather have an AMG.
You still have that E60?
Old 18 November 2018, 03:44 AM   #7
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I think this thing is stunning.

Love the color. Humongous fan!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 03:50 AM   #8
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

M cars lost their way because they have to adapt to the horsepower war. Otherwise they would lose so much market share to AMG.

I agree the last real M was the E46 but the E90/92/93 generation will become collectible due to the V8.

We just have to get to the point where enthusiasts want more of a driving experience than tech packed, brutal accelerating machines.

However I think the days of 350hp NA in-line 6s are over with efficiency requirements.

Everyone says they miss those days but having driven a nice E46 recently, it’s lost it’s luster. The powerband is so narrow and any econobox turbo 4 will feel quicker.
Old 18 November 2018, 04:39 AM   #9
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
The new X3 M40i is 355 hp and a real beast. It is a bi-turbo V6 and a tough one to beat for the money. A real blast to drive. Perfect for the weather here in the Northeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 November 2018, 04:40 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You still have that E60?
Actually, I sold it. Crazy because I never thought I would, but with my work situation, I never really got a chance to drive it and I am usually driving the Land Cruiser on the weekends. I sold it for a small profit so I think of it as owning the car for a few months for free, but I am a bit sad to let it go. It just isn't the right time for me to own the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
M cars lost their way because they have to adapt to the horsepower war. Otherwise they would lose so much market share to AMG.

I agree the last real M was the E46 but the E90/92/93 generation will become collectible due to the V8.

We just have to get to the point where enthusiasts want more of a driving experience than tech packed, brutal accelerating machines.

However I think the days of 350hp NA in-line 6s are over with efficiency requirements.

Everyone says they miss those days but having driven a nice E46 recently, it’s lost it’s luster. The powerband is so narrow and any econobox turbo 4 will feel quicker.
I think the E9x M3 was the last great M car. The E39 M5 and E46 M3 are probably the best generation, but what made the E60 M5 and E9x M3 such great cars is that even though they're big, they still drive like small cars. When you're in the E60 M5, you really do not feel like you're in a big car. The feeling and sound of driving these cars cannot be matched. The new cars are just bloated and boring. Yes, they're rockets, but that's it. I'd happily take an older, slower M over a new one any day.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 04:48 AM   #11
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Be careful with the E60’s. Mine went through 2 SMG transmissions. If you get it, go manual. Thank God I had a warranty when the transmissions died on me...but otherwise, it was a really unique car.

I’m interested in the new M5 with the new awd system. I do wish overall that M cars were more unique and special like they used to be.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:57 AM   #12
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
The new X3 M40i is 355 hp and a real beast. It is a bi-turbo V6 and a tough one to beat for the money. A real blast to drive. Perfect for the weather here in the Northeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are a great daily. It was a coin flip between the M40 and GLC43 when purchasing a car for my wife. I think the 43 presented itself a bit more sporty though with the optional exhaust and Alcantara flat bottom wheel.
Old 18 November 2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
As we speak, I’m looking at M5 2008 V-10 5L, I drove one last week. And what a monster. I’m thinking of adding another M car. The 2018 M5 is amazing and so much power.
That certainly had the best engine in any m5.
5 litres of pure naturally aspirated v10 beast.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2018, 05:52 PM   #14
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
I've had E34, E39, E60 and F10 M5's.

The F10 is of course the fastest and most luxurious of the bunch. The E39 is my favourite. That roar of the NA S62 engine...
Old 18 November 2018, 06:02 PM   #15
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
Be careful with the E60’s. Mine went through 2 SMG transmissions. If you get it, go manual. Thank God I had a warranty when the transmissions died on me...but otherwise, it was a really unique car.

I’m interested in the new M5 with the new awd system. I do wish overall that M cars were more unique and special like they used to be.
The SMG in the E60's is actually very robust. It's small and rather cheap parts of the shifting part of it that fail. Sadly dealers (and warranty claims) almost always changed out the complete unit, even if you would have solved the problem with an SMG pump change.

What is a very worrying design fault of the S85 engine are the rod bearings. These will grenade on every single S85 engine. They need to be replaced on all engines. I changed mine when my car was at about 70K miles, all of them had wear you could feel with your fingers, after cylinder 5&6 they where all worn down to the copper.

The E60 has gotten a lot of bad press for being full of faults, this isn't really true. I had zero faults on mine (besides rod bearings, but in my case it was pre-emptive and not a grenaded engine) my brother still has his E60 M5, and never any problems.
Old 18 November 2018, 11:57 PM   #16
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nail Tech View Post
That certainly had the best engine in any m5.
5 litres of pure naturally aspirated v10 beast.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:22 AM   #17
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Actually love this M5. But i realize as I get older. I drive alower and slower
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 12:31 AM   #18
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Audi RS7 and the Porsche Panamera Turbo is where some of my M5 peeps went to. We will see if this is enough to bring them back.
Old 19 November 2018, 12:39 AM   #19
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

It’s so funny how some people say they would rather drive a 25yo M5. When was the last time you drove a 25yo car? It’s not pleasant. Unless you want something g to drive once a month.
Old 19 November 2018, 12:58 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:

X2, and I used to be the biggest fan back in the day as well.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:41 AM   #21
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Good taste Bas!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:42 AM   #22
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
I've had E34, E39, E60 and F10 M5's.

The F10 is of course the fastest and most luxurious of the bunch. The E39 is my favourite. That roar of the NA S62 engine...
Fantastic car indeed on all iterations but the E39 has to be the all time classic.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:42 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Gotta admit I’m not a gear head so all these cars look like they’d do the job for me
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 02:49 AM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannis View Post
Good taste Bas!
Thanks. I lack the funds to get a good one and maintain it properly though.
Old 19 November 2018, 02:50 AM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Actually, I sold it. Crazy because I never thought I would, but with my work situation, I never really got a chance to drive it and I am usually driving the Land Cruiser on the weekends. I sold it for a small profit so I think of it as owning the car for a few months for free, but I am a bit sad to let it go. It just isn't the right time for me to own the car.

I think the E9x M3 was the last great M car. The E39 M5 and E46 M3 are probably the best generation, but what made the E60 M5 and E9x M3 such great cars is that even though they're big, they still drive like small cars. When you're in the E60 M5, you really do not feel like you're in a big car. The feeling and sound of driving these cars cannot be matched. The new cars are just bloated and boring. Yes, they're rockets, but that's it. I'd happily take an older, slower M over a new one any day.
I completely understand. Sad to have to let it go though, the V10 sounds amazing.
Old 19 November 2018, 04:26 AM   #26
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Marc, that would look reaaaaaaally good with the new drivers watch! Great cat, but I am more of an AMG fan.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 04:39 AM   #27
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
BMW M5 Bavaria...

New M8 will be out Very Soon. I'd wait to drive the M8 first!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019 M8.jpg (41.6 KB, 272 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 07:17 AM   #28
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
New M8 will be out Very Soon. I'd wait to drive the M8 first!
Looks like a mid-size boat.
Old 19 November 2018, 07:23 AM   #29
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Looks like a mid-size boat.
That's Funny! Its a BEAST not a Boat!
https://www.motortrend.com/news/bmw-...eliver-600-hp/

https://www.motor1.com/news/269682/b...umors/:cheers:

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 07:23 AM   #30
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Love me some big sedans with power. I liked the Chevy SS. Everyone said it didn't look like a car with an LS3 in it. My answer was simply, EXACTLY. lol
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote