The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 08:59 PM   #91
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
No history of bowel cancer in the family , but at what age should I start getting screened, sorry if it's been answered already
50 years old.

If you're "clean", the doc will tell you to eat more fiber, take the orange drink every night, and come back in ten years.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:05 PM   #92
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Thanks 123Bf, do polyps cause symptoms that suggest to you that they are present?
No symptoms.
No way of knowing unless a colonoscopy is done.
Old 27 June 2017, 09:07 PM   #93
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
Im 60 never had one....i poop in the bag every other year...Ive read to many horror stories how its become a medical money making racket plus one major hospital was sued for not cleaning the instruments after procedures etc. I have had enough crap done to me that i question everything now ...since I have to pay 20 percent I question even more.
My father who died at 58 who drunk himself to death use to say damn doctors and ins companies try to keep you alive to suck more money out of you.
My dad does the box in the mail test which I guess is the one you are referring to. From what I understand, great test but not a true preventive like the colonoscopy that catches the polyps early on.
Old 27 June 2017, 09:40 PM   #94
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I posted on this thread early on, and have since had my third this past March... to anyone over 50 afraid of this, you are indeed playing Russian Roulette with your health.. the prep is indeed the worst part, but you are home in your own lair, so get a good book and it will all be over before you know it.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:30 PM   #95
jhilly8982
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im 60 never had one....i poop in the bag every other year...Ive read to many horror stories how its become a medical money making racket plus one major hospital was sued for not cleaning the instruments after procedures etc. I have had enough crap done to me that i question everything now ...since I have to pay 20 percent I question even more.
My father who died at 58 who drunk himself to death use to say damn doctors and ins companies try to keep you alive to suck more money out of you.
Well the procedure itself isn't a scam. It is extremely useful. In Colonoscopy the fraudulent activity comes from the billing practice. If you have one done and everything is fine it is billed as 'routine'. However, if they find a polyp it turns into a diagnosis which is an up-charge via medical billing coding.

In regards to the scopes not being clean, I believe the folks at Olympus (scope manufacturer) are in court right now over this matter. Not properly cleaning the scope is a major pain point at these facilities and costs the hospitals millions and patients their lives.
jhilly8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:40 PM   #96
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
Colon cancer is almost completely preventable yet it's still a leading cause of death, if you have people who love you, and even if you don't, it's only prudent to take all the precautions you can and get it done. And as has been said already, the prep is the worst part.
Agreed
Old 27 June 2017, 11:36 PM   #97
Kostas

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Still got 5 years to go , maybe I should start eating more fibre from now ! Lol
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:48 PM   #98
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Still got 5 years to go , maybe I should start eating more fibre from now ! Lol
What the docs want you to do is drink a glass of Metamucil every day. A tablespoon in a glass of water. It does something to reduce pressure against intestinal walls. Too much pressure ain't good for the old pipes

There are little divots in the pipe walls; when these spots get impacted with the traffic flow, something goes wrong. Infection or ... geez, not sure. But its bad.

Dr Jim, glad to help. Emergency appendectomies Thursday thru Tuesday, no waiting.
Old 28 June 2017, 12:18 AM   #99
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
Abdullah.....

A coworker refused to do one for ridiculous reasons when he had blood in his stool........he's 35 today and has been carrying a colostomy bag with him for 3 years now because he was diagnosed and they basically had to remove a lot of body parts.

So I guess the answer can vary widely........I am all for preventative medicine versus reactive.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:20 AM   #100
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
http://www.healthline.com/health-new...ancer-032015#3
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:33 AM   #101
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here is the rub for me personally with the "other" approaches.

I had an older, more crude CT version done many years ago. Heck if anyone wants to ever endure the pain of having your colon inflated like a balloon. The worst cramping imaginable. Never again.

The stool is a great option BUT it tells you you don't have cancer or there may be a problem. Issue with that for me is I have a history of polyps. I don't want my stool telling me I am in trouble. I prefer a scope removing any polyps found before they ever turn potentially cancerous.

So, while there are certainly folks that don't need a colonoscopy as they don't produce polyps, there is no way of knowing for sure unless an invasive camera goes in you. I truly hate the test but it's on my calendar to call my doctor every three years and set it up and sure enough, they find polyps. Whatever the out of pocket expense, whatever the prep torture I'll be calling him come September, when my three years are up.
Old 28 June 2017, 02:41 AM   #102
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Yesterday I had my first colonoscopy. Both, my wife and I were having the procedure after spending the previous day drinking clear liquids and shi**ing water. While my wife appeared at ease in the next cubicle, joking and laughing with the nurse, I suffered a vasovagal syncope when my nurse had trouble with my IV and my blood sprayed all over her scrub top. For a moment, I thought I was going to die, as my heart rate went from forty-five to 150 beats per minute. My entire body became drenched in sweat, and I could not seem to catch my breath. Several nurses reacted with great ease and were very comforting. After about 20 minutes, I got another IV, and the procedure itself was very easy to tolerate.
My wife laughed and laughed when she was told of all the commotion I caused, and the fact that I asked her sister, who was going to drive us home, for my Rolex BLNR to relax me, waiting to go home.
I have had probably, hundreds of needles, but never had that kind of reaction before.
To all those who are going to have this procedure - it is not that bad! In my defense, it may have been dehydration, not the pu**y my wife suggests I was...
I've had the procedure twice, once with an endoscopy included. Both times they put me to sleep and I didn't feel a thing. But the day before was awful.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:48 AM   #103
Case61

I've had three or four colonoscopies, and each one has found one or more slow-growing polyps. There's no cancer in my family, so I'm an object lesson for how important it can be.

For those of you on the fence: DON'T BE, It's a lifesaver. And as others have noted, the prep is nasty for a day, but the procedure itself is nothing.
Case61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:49 AM   #104
Maybelline
Banned

All I know is that I'm terrified of having this done to me but it's so important I will just do it when the time comes but man am I nervous.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:04 AM   #105
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
All I know is that I'm terrified of having this done to me but it's so important I will just do it when the time comes but man am I nervous.
Don't be.
Nothing to be nervous about.
Simple procedure.
The prep is what sucks as you can't eat the day before other than liquids and spend the afternoon and into the middle of the night/early morning going to the toilet.
The procedure itself? You will be out like a log and then farting up a storm when you awaken. No pain whatsoever, even if polyps removed. To top it all off, you get some nice photos of your insides to take home with you.

I always remind the doctor I am there for the colonoscopy and not the endoscopy. However, should he decide to do both, please do upper first as otherwise, may leave a real crappy taste in mouth.

Kidding aside, glad this thread has resurfaced. May be a life savor for some reading it,
Old 28 June 2017, 03:43 AM   #106
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Don't be.
Nothing to be nervous about.
Simple procedure.
The prep is what sucks as you can't eat the day before other than liquids and spend the afternoon and into the middle of the night/early morning going to the toilet.
The procedure itself? You will be out like a log and then farting up a storm when you awaken. No pain whatsoever, even if polyps removed. To top it all off, you get some nice photos of your insides to take home with you.

I always remind the doctor I am there for the colonoscopy and not the endoscopy. However, should he decide to do both, please do upper first as otherwise, may leave a real crappy taste in mouth.

Kidding aside, glad this thread has resurfaced. Ay be a life savor for some reading it,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely do it when the time comes.
Maybelline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:18 PM   #107
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
As I stated earlier I have had many and even had colon resection surgery so I know how necessary it has been in my life for my own health.
That said, I've heard some talk lately that the prep has come into question. Basically it's said that the cleanse is too complete - removing massive amounts of the bacteria that keeps the colon operating as it should and requiring a vigorous regimen of probiotics to bring it back into a healthy state, if possible.
Has anyone else heard this and what do you make of it?
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:12 PM   #108
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Bay Rider View Post
That said, I've heard some talk lately that the prep has come into question. Basically it's said that the cleanse is too complete....
I haven't heard this suggestion, but it does make sense.

However, in my case as noted earlier, for my last procedure, the MD required I do two cleanses to make sure they could find all the polyps.

Initially, I thought I would cheat and do only one, but I relented and did both.

Sure enough, they found a bunch that may not have been found otherwise.

So far, none of the lab results have come back positive, since a large portion were adenomas, I can guess that without the intervention some of those might very well have become malignant.

I haven't been told to go on probiotics by medical staff and while there may be some negative consequences, I believe it's a good trade off.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 02:51 PM   #109
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
I just made an appointment for my 5th one.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 05:16 PM   #110
fmc000
Banned

I was supposed to join the club next Friday, my dad had colon cancer and I'm approaching my fifties.

I canceled, though. I'm simply too scared. As another guy wrote, I'd rather have a beer instead.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 10:32 PM   #111
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
I was supposed to join the club next Friday, my dad had colon cancer and I'm approaching my fifties.

I canceled, though. I'm simply too scared. As another guy wrote, I'd rather have a beer instead.
We have zero history of colon cancer in my family. Not even remote relatives. I'm not at all concerned.

YOU on the other hand, need to get straight over there and get checked out. Call your doctor and reschedule your appointment. You'll feel better that you've had it done.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 12:05 AM   #112
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:

I've had a few. Let go of that fear. Man up.

It's nothing. And even if it were something to be scared of, it's better than catching colon cancer late. That's something to be scared of.

You can thank me later.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 01:05 AM   #113
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
We have zero history of colon cancer in my family. Not even remote relatives. I'm not at all concerned.

YOU on the other hand, need to get straight over there and get checked out. Call your doctor and reschedule your appointment. You'll feel better that you've had it done.
I too have zero colon cancer history in my family yet I seem to produce polyps like they are going out of style.
Never put your guard down as it relates to colon cancer. Somebody is bound to be the first at anything.

Two months to go for my next one. Frankly wish it was now to get it over with.
Old 3 July 2017, 01:14 AM   #114
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I've had a few. Let go of that fear. Man up.

It's nothing. And even if it were something to be scared of, it's better than catching colon cancer late. That's something to be scared of.

You can thank me later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
I too have zero colon cancer history in my family yet I seem to produce polyps like they are going out of style.
Never put your guard down as it relates to colon cancer. Somebody is bound to be the first at anything.

Two months to go for my next one. Frankly wish it was now to get it over with.

What everyone here said time 1000,000,000,000. I have had one. The prep sucked, the actual procedure was fairly inconsequential, a bit uncomfortable but really not that bad, but YOU have to get it done. There was no cancer in my family either, but they saw a couple things and I will have another procedure in a couple years. Man up, it's not that bad and will benefit you in the most important aspect of your life; your health.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 02:12 AM   #115
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
It is certainly nothing like a root canal, Paul.

I have had a couple, and one thing I researched was which doctor to use. In my case, they give an intravenous sedative. Awake for the procedure, but nothing to it, even when they remove a polyp. Interestingly, the sedative has the effect of compressing time.

The prep is the worst part, but don't let that bother you.

One thing I will add: I find it much better to have a mid-day rather than morning appointment. That way you do the prep, get a good night's sleep, then continue prep in the morning. I felt much better doing it this way, rather than having to get up at 4AM to continue the prep process. For what it's worth.
Boothroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2017, 01:50 PM   #116
ReMember
"TRF" Member

DIY Colonoscopy.
Colonoscopy.jpg
ReMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 12:28 AM   #117
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Wow! I'd LOVE to have one of these when working on instruments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colonoscopy.jpg (46.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 5 July 2017, 12:54 AM   #118
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
^That is brilliant. Have read back my earlier post in this thread but I had the flexi-sigmoidoscopy done with no anusthetic and watched it on the screen. The biopsies didn't hurt either. I'd highly recommend the procedure- there's nothing to be scared of in the procedure itself and it can only be beneficial for your health.

Men are notorious for not looking after themselves and dying needlessly from eminently treatable conditions.

If you are due a scan or check up - go.
If you have persistent symptoms- go.

I sadly watched a contractor of ours die over the course of a year from lung cancer - he had never smoked and chose to ignore the symptoms until he was terminal

. If you think having a pipe up you ass or getting your testicles out for your doctor is embarrassing (and I've done both), it is a whole lot more embarrassing to look your wife and kids in the eye as you see them suffer while you edge toward the end from something that could have been treated.
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 01:21 AM   #119
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootbeer View Post
^That is brilliant. Have read back my earlier post in this thread but I had the flexi-sigmoidoscopy done with no anusthetic and watched it on the screen. The biopsies didn't hurt either. I'd highly recommend the procedure- there's nothing to be scared of in the procedure itself and it can only be beneficial for your health.

Men are notorious for not looking after themselves and dying needlessly from eminently treatable conditions.

If you are due a scan or check up - go.
If you have persistent symptoms- go.

I sadly watched a contractor of ours die over the course of a year from lung cancer - he had never smoked and chose to ignore the symptoms until he was terminal

. If you think having a pipe up you ass or getting your testicles out for your doctor is embarrassing (and I've done both), it is a whole lot more embarrassing to look your wife and kids in the eye as you see them suffer while you edge toward the end from something that could have been treated.

Amen brother!

I am 41 and have no family history of colon or prostate issues. I will be going at 45 to start getting a colonoscopy. Seems stupid to let fear of a test (that insurance covers) be a reason to deal with something much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 02:15 AM   #120
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Amen brother!

I am 41 and have no family history of colon or prostate issues. I will be going at 45 to start getting a colonoscopy. Seems stupid to let fear of a test (that insurance covers) be a reason to deal with something much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome to be proactive.
My understanding is insurance covers preventive colonoscopy after 50, unless there is a clinical necessity to have one done sooner. Check to make sure you have coverage for it when 45 comes.