The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 14 January 2018, 04:32 AM   #1
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

The Watch Buyers Group - anyone had an issue with them ?

I’ve sent my submariner to The Watch Buyers Group for cleaning on Dec 11th of 2017 and now, on as of Jan 13th 2018, I still don’t have an estimate from them.

According to their original email they were supposed to give an estimate in 1 or 2 weeks. Now it is more than a month and no estimate still...

I emailed them about a week ago and received a reply containing this:

“Your watch did test to a low amplitude and so the watchmakers are trying to see if they can re-poise the balance complete, rather than replacing it. If it needs to be replaced, it will be over $500 added to the estimate ....”

As a note, my watch was operational when I sent it, so I don’t know how to interpret this - of course I wasnt planning to replace any $500 parts on a working watch that is about 5 years old , I wanted just a basic service and cleaning.

Well, now I am not sure if it was a right decision to send my watch to The Watch Buyers Group, as I don’t have any definitive news from them for a month, and their email about their concerns about the $500 part on a working watch feels a little worrisome to me.

I am wondering if anyone else had similar or other issues with the watch buyers group , I am wondering if I need to request my watch back and send it to another place.
dimbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 10:32 AM   #2
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
When in doubt, have the watch sent back to you without at work.
Old 14 January 2018, 04:54 PM   #3
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Your watch will still operate with a low amplitude so when you say it was operational when you sent it, that is completely possible. If you are not comfortable with their assessment I would ask them to return it without the repairs being completed. You should have someone look at the watch and make the needed repairs to get the amplitude where it should be.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 02:46 PM   #4
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Your watch will still operate with a low amplitude so when you say it was operational when you sent it, that is completely possible. If you are not comfortable with their assessment I would ask them to return it without the repairs being completed. You should have someone look at the watch and make the needed repairs to get the amplitude where it should be.
I hope the watch buyers group will put my watch back together so that it works at least the same way it did prior to me sending it to them. It is beyond my understanding why are they keeping my watch for that long.
Old 15 January 2018, 02:49 PM   #5
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waQstar View Post
When in doubt, have the watch sent back to you without at work.
Well, it has been a month since I’ve sent my watch to the watch buyers group, and still waiting - I guess it is a valid reason to be worried... I guess I will follow your advice if I will not get their feedback next week.
Old 30 January 2018, 12:17 PM   #6
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

A quick update - got a $517 estimate - $395 and some parts that they claimed they need to replace. I've approved it, have no time/desire to call them and ask for details.
Now will have to wait for the watch to arrive back.
There is no promise on when they will complete the watch, just a note that normally it takes 6-9 weeks.
So I guess the overall turnaround time will easily turn out to be 3 month or more.
I will try to to post an update in this thread when I get the watch.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #7
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

Never known a watchmaker with a 3 month backlog...
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 02:53 AM   #8
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Never known a watchmaker with a 3 month backlog...
I think this is a ridiculously long wait, I am wondering if other reviews on this and other forums are biased, as they claimed that The Watch Buyers group had a fast turnaround time. My experience is so different. I don’t think anything longer than a month is a reasonable amount of time to service a watch. It took them over a month just to give me an estimate.

When deciding where to service the watch the turnaround time is also a factor, not just a price. With the price I am wondering if anyone ever paid them just an advertised price. The web site price at $395 was attractive, but then in the reply to my “where is my watch” email they mentioned that might need to replace a $500 part, I replied that I am not sure if I want to replace a $500 part on a working 5 years old watch, and they still ended up adding over $100 in some other parts. I didn’t expect the almost new watch to require replacement of parts. I thought Rolex is more reliable.
Old 8 February 2018, 03:02 PM   #9
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

Still no watch, no update, nothing...
Old 20 February 2018, 02:05 PM   #10
dimbmw
"TRF" Member

Still no watch...
Old 6 April 2018, 05:11 AM   #11
oscarcolon
"TRF" Member

Any notice?
oscarcolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 04:03 AM   #12
dlav
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
My experience with them in 2017 with a complete service of my 2004 16710 Pepsi GMT was flawless and came in around $695 along with a new main spring. About a year later the watch began to run fast and just slightly out of COSC so I sent it back for a regulation. It was pretty much radio silence on getting an estimate and it took just shy of three months to get it back, but it’s here now and running flakwlessly at +1 per day. I think people have just finally figured out who they are and how good their work is and they are genuinely slammed and unable to meet the demand. 3 months to wait for a regulation? I wasn’t happy about it, but it was performed perfectly and for free under warranty.

Your story confirms my suspicion: they just don’t have the staff to meet the demand. Their work is fantastic, but the wait may put off many...
dlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2018, 04:30 AM   #13
tylervanwormer
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, your timeline almost exactly mirrors mine. They received my OP 116000 on 3/22, and it took until 4/19 for me to have an estimate. I spoke with someone there yesterday who said they need approximately 2 more weeks, so a little more than 3 months round trip. Is it a long wait? Yes. Are you the only one? Nope. They are just legitimately slammed.
tylervanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 10:17 AM   #14
Rgb3
"TRF" Member

Watch buyers group

Hello I sent in my fathers datejust for service, sent August 2018 had estimate in a week. With needs and optional items. He wore for around 11 years and it sat with me for 15 yrs, so I expected to need things. Long story short replacing parts and doing optional cosmetic items $2000. Estimate, they have been in contact sent photos of issues added links for band and is in week 7 of repairs. Spoke today on phone it is in testing phase. So hopefully a few more weeks and will be done. If you have concerns give them a call they always have answered. Yes it’s a long time to wait for repairs but I have waited this long to send it in. Good luck and will post when it’s on my wrist.
Rgb3 is offline   Reply With Quote