The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 November 2018, 11:48 AM   #31
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
What an awesome dial.
Got the OK crom the wife to plan for it after tax season.
Reminded her I love her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8FCC3B60-18ED-4509-BBCA-944FDF7A2B68.jpeg (71.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 29 November 2018, 11:54 AM   #32
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

They were both worn by Mr Bond, they’re both beautiful, they’ll both last a lifetime, they’re both full of history.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 12:01 PM   #33
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
What an awesome dial.
Got the OK crom the wife to plan for it after tax season.
Reminded her I love her.
You’re a smart man! You’re going to love the watch.
Old 29 November 2018, 12:30 PM   #34
Justindo
"TRF" Member

My local Omega Boutique had all versions of the new Seamaster so I don't think they're that hard to get. I plan to get the blue dial on a bracelet next year but I won't be paying anything near MSRP.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 12:55 PM   #35
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindo View Post
my local omega boutique had all versions of the new seamaster so i don't think they're that hard to get. I plan to get the blue dial on a bracelet next year but i won't be paying anything near msrp.
+1
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:00 PM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I can’t imagine these are hard to get.

That said, this is a fantastic reference.

And personally I don’t agree with the comments about the bezel click. Or the bracelet.

Top quality imho.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 01:05 PM   #37
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
So glad they brought back the waves on the dial. It really makes the watch.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 03:21 PM   #38
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

i like the Grey dial

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 08:37 PM   #39
Jenks73
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SNJ027P1
I absolutely love the new Seamaster, it's beautiful and having just tried one on, I will be pulling the trigger one one next year, once the hype is over.

Comparing the SubC and the Seamaster, both beautiful watches, but the real reason a rolex cost more, is the beauty within the watch, that is the Rolex movement. A movement that you really cannot beat, perfectly engineered.

That to me is where the cost difference comes into play.
Jenks73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 10:47 PM   #40
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks73 View Post
I absolutely love the new Seamaster, it's beautiful and having just tried one on, I will be pulling the trigger one one next year, once the hype is over.

Comparing the SubC and the Seamaster, both beautiful watches, but the real reason a rolex cost more, is the beauty within the watch, that is the Rolex movement. A movement that you really cannot beat, perfectly engineered.

That to me is where the cost difference comes into play.
Wow, so your saying that the 3130 movement is so much better then Omega’s 8800 anti-magnetic, METAS certified, movement that it justifies the 4K plus price tag. What facts do you have to back up that statement, I’m not a watch maker so I’d love to learn

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...terChronometer

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 11:30 PM   #41
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Why wait for the hype to be over?
It’s such a lovely watch with lots of dial and bezel colour to choose from.
The best thing is the price and it’s easily available to buy.
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 02:18 AM   #42
Jenks73
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Both Rolex and Omega produce fantastic movements, but to me having had the pleasure of sitting with a horologist while he take apart a rolex 3135 movement, I still think Rolex movements have the edge.
Why, I think the Rolex movement is more refined then the current movements offered by omega, omega are certainly more daring with their movements, and tend to move forward with the times (excuse the pun) why Rolex have instead decided to continually refine and improve their existing movements, without adding much to them.
Watching every piece that came out of the watch case, how detailed and precise it was, took my breath away, the Rolex movement is tried and tested, and as my friend said, from a horologist point of view, working with a rolex is a pleasure.

On the other hand I have never seen an omega movement stripped down, and I am sure some equally impressive design and engineering has gone into the movement, so can only go off what I have read in reviews and on company websites, which lets face it, is never going to be a negative review.

I do think and it's is my own opinion that Rolex do and will continue to produce some of the finest movements out there.

Do I think it is worth the $4k extra, Purley based on a movement no, but one of the reasons I love watches, is the history behind each watch and each brand, and to me the largest part of the watches history lies in the watch caseing not what you can see on the dial, so to that extent yes I believe Rolex do produce a finer movement, worthy of an increased price.

Again my only opinion, but one which a lot of watch enthusiasts and horologist echo.

And with regards to the hype, I don't have as good a realtionship with my local omega dealer as I would like, and they can happily sell at full retail to customers, so there is very little discount to be had, hopefully perhaps that will change in the near future.
Old 30 November 2018, 03:17 AM   #43
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
"On the other hand I have never seen an omega movement stripped down."
So, you really have no tangible basis to say the 3135 is better.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:30 AM   #44
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
mine came earlier than expected - very very pleased

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 03:44 AM   #45
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolr View Post
So, you really have no tangible basis to say the 3135 is better.
Right, the 3135 would fail the METAS test and has less power reserve.

Old 30 November 2018, 03:53 AM   #46
Jenks73
"TRF" Member

Chaps it's an opinion that's all, from what I have seen, read and talked about with fellow watch enthusiasts.

I love both watches and think both brands are great, both high quality!

I can tell it's a sensetive subject for hard core omega fans, sorry to have ruffled some feathers.
All the best
Old 30 November 2018, 04:49 AM   #47
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chaps it's an opinion that's all, from what I have seen, read and talked about with fellow watch enthusiasts.

I can tell it's a sensetive subject for hard core omega fans, sorry to have ruffled some feathers.
All the best
It’s all in fun, opinions are what make this forum great

Old 30 November 2018, 04:59 AM   #48
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I think it’s a great watch. Have tried both black and blue (prefer blue I think).

I would be buying this on bracelet however as I think the rubber cheapens it a little (just my view).

Personally, when you factor in that with discount this is about half the price of a sub, it becomes tremendous value. I may well pick one up next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 05:01 AM   #49
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
I voted black. But then stopped by the Omega boutique and left with this.

bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 05:14 AM   #50
Jenks73
"TRF" Member

It's stunning.

Blue is beautiful
Old 30 November 2018, 06:06 AM   #51
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

All the best
No feathers ruffled here, both are great movements. Having both, I can say each perform exceptionally well... the 3135 does have a longer history though.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:24 AM   #52
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
I think you have Rolex colored glasses on. The bracelet is 100 times better is a bit of a stretch, I love Rolex and have owned a few modern divers and they are great watches, but at the price point and taking the label off the dial, I don’t see much of a difference in fit and finish or quality. The Subc cost almost three times the amount compaired to what I paid for my new Seamaster that’s crazy!
Well its just my opinion

For me the taper is what makes a massive difference when it comes to comfort. Just from an aesthetic point the oyster is so much slicker (again my opinion)

you didn’t touch on the bezel comment so you must agree

Also i bought my sub back in 2015 with a discount from an AD - cost me pretty much 1.5 xs the SM rrp (ahh the good old days)

Having said all of the above the SM is 99% going to be my next watch, i am not having a bash on the omega. I think its a great looking watch that feels great on to.
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:25 AM   #53
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
I had a black sub c for 6 years and loved it but there is nothing about a sub c that is really better then the new 300m in my view

the fit and finish , style and the movement al seem to favour the omega - bias accepted as I have just bought one of course

and as for the presentation of the packaging lets be honest the rolex has a lot to learn from the omega and that is not deniable

but the killer is the real world cost of a new one on the secondary market - £3.3k v £9k on watchfinder for example

its not a rolex but you could have a nice new datejust and the Omega for the cost of a new sub

you cant argue with the but I want a rolex argument and if you want the sub then nothing else will do = I was that person on 2011 = but you struggle to rationalise the choice of a new sub over one of these beauties in my view

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:29 AM   #54
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw View Post
I had a black sub c for 6 years and loved it but there is nothing about a sub c that is really better then the new 300m in my view

the fit and finish , style and the movement al seem to favour the omega - bias accepted as I have just bought one of course

and as for the presentation of the packaging lets be honest the rolex has a lot to learn from the omega and that is not deniable

but the killer is the real world cost of a new one on the secondary market - £3.3k v £9k on watchfinder for example

its not a rolex but you could have a nice new datejust and the Omega for the cost of a new sub

you cant argue with the but I want a rolex argument and if you want the sub then nothing else will do = I was that person on 2011 = but you struggle to rationalise the choice of a new sub over one of these beauties in my view
I would 1000% take a dj41 and a SM over paying above rrp for a sub

But that does not make the SM better than the sub coz it just isn’t imo

Put it this way if you could buy either at 3k which would you buy? No need to reply, just think about that for a moment.

As for the box a watch comes in that makes no diff to me personally
Old 30 November 2018, 06:30 AM   #55
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
I voted black. But then stopped by the Omega boutique and left with this.

Great pic by the way!

I want the blue but everytime I’ve seen the blue and black together i am swayed to the black. I think the blue looks better in normal lighting than the bright lighting at a boutique. I think i will go with my gut and get the blue regardless
Old 30 November 2018, 06:33 AM   #56
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
I'll throw my .02 in the mix... Just for reference, I have the 39.5mm 8800 Planet Ocean, SM300 Master CoAx 8400, Skyfall Blue 38.5mm 8500 AT, and Black 38mm 8800 AT. I also have a 116610LN Sub. The Omegas these days are really, really fantastic watches with super high quality builds, componentry, movements, and finishing. While I would say they still fall short of my Sub in terms of overall quality (sans movements since I believe the new Master CoAxials are hard to beat) you're pretty much splitting hairs comparing the two. I do have to agree the Rolex bracelet is miles better than any Omega I've owned and the bezel clicks are better on the Rolex as well. If I could ding the sub on anything it's the stupid chunky "maxi" case I've never liked or gotten used to but that's just preference. Beyond that, I think it just comes down to buying what you like since they are really pretty close to each other in so many ways, price and availability aside.

Personally, what I'm really waiting for, is Blancpain to release a 40mm non-LE Fifty Fathoms. If they do that, both the Submariner and SM300MC will be out the door faster than I know what happened to fund it...
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #57
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoWatch View Post
I'll throw my .02 in the mix... Just for reference, I have the 39.5mm 8800 Planet Ocean, SM300 Master CoAx 8400, Skyfall Blue 38.5mm 8500 AT, and Black 38mm 8800 AT. I also have a 116610LN Sub. The Omegas these days are really, really fantastic watches with super high quality builds, componentry, movements, and finishing. While I would say they still fall short of my Sub in terms of overall quality (sans movements since I believe the new Master CoAxials are hard to beat) you're pretty much splitting hairs comparing the two. I do have to agree the Rolex bracelet is miles better than any Omega I've owned and the bezel clicks are better on the Rolex as well. If I could ding the sub on anything it's the stupid chunky "maxi" case I've never liked or gotten used to but that's just preference. Beyond that, I think it just comes down to buying what you like since they are really pretty close to each other in so many ways, price and availability aside.

Personally, what I'm really waiting for, is Blancpain to release a 40mm non-LE Fifty Fathoms. If they do that, both the Submariner and SM300MC will be out the door faster than I know what happened to fund it...
Agreed. I just really do not like the chunky omega bracelets, its what has put me off everytime. Really happy omega brought out the SM on a rubber. Never really seen blancpains in person but they look great in pics

40mil is the perfect size imo
Old 30 November 2018, 07:34 AM   #58
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_UKSheffield View Post
I want the blue but everytime I’ve seen the blue and black together i am swayed to the black. I think the blue looks better in normal lighting than the bright lighting at a boutique. I think i will go with my gut and get the blue regardless
Although I bought the blue, honestly side by side I think the black is richer and has classic good looks. The reason I decided to go blue is I already have 3 black face SS Rolex sport models in the collection and nothing blue (until now). If that wasn’t the case, I would have gone for the black one. You can’t go wrong either way though.
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 07:36 AM   #59
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

I think Omega did a great job with the 42mm sizing. Fits like a glove.
Old 30 November 2018, 07:54 AM   #60
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

How did this become a Rolex is better then Omega thread?

Fact is in the end one cost 2.5x the price and your not getting a 2.5x better watch. Your paying for what’s written on the dial.