The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 March 2024, 06:36 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Laptop Battery…

After years of using desktop computers, I finally bought a laptop this year, and keep it plugged in on my desk all the time. It just sits there sending Mr Google my information and life story 24/7.

But apparently I’m doing it wrong….( what else is new)… although I do cover it with tinfoil at night..

https://gizmodo.com/unplug-your-lapt...ver-1851320725
Old 13 March 2024, 08:24 AM   #2
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
My network internet cable and charging cable are the same cable. Surely the manufacturer understood the machine would always be plugged in and designed the battery to work in that environment.

I presume the laptop has a power regulator that switches off the charging service when not needed.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 09:15 AM   #3
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
My Macbook Pro is plugged in 24/7. It functions as a desktop (connected to a larger monitor). There's a "smart battery" charge function where, keeping it plugged in, it will let the battery deplete to 70% or so, then charge back up to 80%. If you know you're going to be on the move, you can tell it to fast charge to 100%. A battery replacement is less than $100 should I need one down the road.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 11:20 PM   #4
avidflyer
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not to mention the last three I bought have internal batteries you can’t remove or service yourself.
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 12:18 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
My Macbook Pro is plugged in 24/7. It functions as a desktop (connected to a larger monitor). There's a "smart battery" charge function where, keeping it plugged in, it will let the battery deplete to 70% or so, then charge back up to 80%. If you know you're going to be on the move, you can tell it to fast charge to 100%. A battery replacement is less than $100 should I need one down the road.
Good to know Jake

My car operates the same way. The battery is designed to charge to 90% and depletes to roughly 10%.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:27 AM   #6
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
After years of using desktop computers, I finally bought a laptop this year, and keep it plugged in on my desk all the time.
Maybe I just didn't notice, but what brand is yours? I've have a Dell XPS for years, I never unplug it, there are no problems with the battery, it works fine. The only thing I'm very careful about is not letting any software replace Dell's own battery management.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:42 AM   #7
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
Maybe I just didn't notice, but what brand is yours? I've have a Dell XPS for years, I never unplug it, there are no problems with the battery, it works fine. The only thing I'm very careful about is not letting any software replace Dell's own battery management.
An inexpensive HP.

I guess I don’t really care about battery life since I probably will keep it plugged in all the time anyways. I’m just using it to sort pictures since one of my desktop computers was running an older OS. I have about 50,000 pictures to go through on external hard drives.

It was just easier to buy a laptop than getting another desktop.

Since it is my first laptop, I wasn’t really familiar on the battery dos and don’ts.
Old 14 March 2024, 03:46 AM   #8
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
An inexpensive HP.

I guess I don’t really care about battery life since I probably will keep it plugged in all the time anyways. I’m just using it to sort pictures since one of my desktop computers was running an older OS.

Last time I shopped desktops they were much cheaper than laptops. You can get a pretty good desktop for what a mediocre laptop costs and never worry about leaving it plugged in.
Maleg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 03:50 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Last time I shopped desktops they were much cheaper than laptops. You can get a pretty good desktop for what a mediocre laptop costs and never worry about leaving it plugged in.
The thinking for a laptop was if I wanted to drag it along on vacation it would be good for editing pictures on the go.

I had thought of another desktop but I like the portability concept and the space saving. I still have 2 other desktops that I use but phasing them out.
Old 14 March 2024, 06:23 AM   #10
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Same here Jake.
Old 14 March 2024, 06:57 AM   #11
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Ever since I replaced my desktop with my first laptop, I never wanted a desktop again. Much more comfortable, practical and versatile. If you have chosen one that meets your needs, then it is perfect. This is also a case where more expensive version is not necessarily better :great:

Quote:
Since it is my first laptop, I wasn’t really familiar on the battery dos and don’ts.
HP has their on battery manager version "HP Battery Health Manager", it was already deployed on your notebook, or you can download it from their official support site: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

In my experience, that's all you need to take care. If there will be a problem with the battery later, this SW will notify you in time. Have fun with your new tool! :great:
INC is offline   Reply With Quote