The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 September 2023, 07:27 PM   #31
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Many years ago, when Hodinkee was a real wrist watch information and opinion site, Ben Clymer (or someone else there) did a comparison of three blue dial luxury sport watches: Patek 5711, AP 15202 and Journe Chronometre Bleu. I didn't like any of them, particularly, but figured Hodinkee knew a lot more than I did about the subject, and since I couldn't decide on one, I eventually got all three. This was a case where relying on the experts paid off. Back then you could walk in to an AP boutique and buy the 15202 on the spot.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 09:16 AM   #32
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
I made an appointment to check out the APROs at the boutique in Costa Mesa in November. I look forward to trying on the 37mm piece.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 11:27 AM   #33
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is definitely part of it. The history is cool but that’s not it for me, it comes down to the way it looks, and probably to some degree, even if subconsciously, the general desirability of it. I won’t pretend I’m immune to that.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 01:48 PM   #34
Emery
"TRF" Member

What first drawn me to it was its brutal, industrial look, juxtaposed against its tagline of a luxury steel watch.
What an oxymoron - how can steel be luxury? I’ve been dailying a 5-digit Sub for some time then, and no way I’d equate plain Jane steel with luxury.

I love the angles too - 45 deg all round, everywhere you look.
It is not a watch for the compromisers, the fence sitters.
You either love the directness, the in your face-ness, or you hate it for being too loud and outspoken.

Then there’s the movement and form factor.
A 60-hour PR self-winding watch with a color-matched date wheel, but yet less than 10mm thick.
The coat of arms of both founding families engraved on the gold rotor serves to remind that this is no run of the mill watch you’re looking at. This thing is steeped in luxury and history, both front and back
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 02:02 PM   #35
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

What draws you to the APRO?

It’s a piece of jewelry on the wrist loaded with high horological history. Excuse the fingerprints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2023, 06:32 PM   #36
IGY
"TRF" Member

Regarding the comments about RO timekeeping and reliability:

True that RO is not as reliable or accurate as a Rolex. But then few are. Most of Rolex's watches are very simple time or time and date only. And although there are some GMTs and a chronograph there are really only two watches with any of the more advanced complications (the SkyD and YM2). Instead Rolex has been focusing on making their watches everyday robust to perform regardless of what the user is doing. And very, very accurate with the superlative chronometer.

However AP has gradually been updating their movements. I wish they had been focusing on this much more than new dial colours and weird materials for their RO line, but they know their target audience so who am I to judge. Yet the AP you are interested in - the 155550ST - has a 4Hz Vaucher based movement the VMF 300 which looks to be much better engineered and more modern than the 3Hz cal 3120 from the 15450ST. I am actually hoping to get this watch myself in what remains of this year. But I would not consider the 15450ST because I specifically want the more modern movement.

The 38mm RO chronograph is another watch from their catalogue with an ancient movement. It is crying out for a modern, purpose made, thin and reliable chronograph: do that AP rather than mess around with more weird special editions and ugly colour combinations. And I don't care if Vaucher or some other third party movement company produces the movement for you.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2023, 08:13 PM   #37
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
bracelet and general finishing are just first class...a major step up from rolex!
Old 23 September 2023, 01:37 AM   #38
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
Regarding the comments about RO timekeeping and reliability:

True that RO is not as reliable or accurate as a Rolex. But then few are. Most of Rolex's watches are very simple time or time and date only. And although there are some GMTs and a chronograph there are really only two watches with any of the more advanced complications (the SkyD and YM2). Instead Rolex has been focusing on making their watches everyday robust to perform regardless of what the user is doing. And very, very accurate with the superlative chronometer.

However AP has gradually been updating their movements. I wish they had been focusing on this much more than new dial colours and weird materials for their RO line, but they know their target audience so who am I to judge. Yet the AP you are interested in - the 155550ST - has a 4Hz Vaucher based movement the VMF 300 which looks to be much better engineered and more modern than the 3Hz cal 3120 from the 15450ST. I am actually hoping to get this watch myself in what remains of this year. But I would not consider the 15450ST because I specifically want the more modern movement.

The 38mm RO chronograph is another watch from their catalogue with an ancient movement. It is crying out for a modern, purpose made, thin and reliable chronograph: do that AP rather than mess around with more weird special editions and ugly colour combinations. And I don't care if Vaucher or some other third party movement company produces the movement for you.
This is great to read, thank you! I'm getting excited to try one on. The "hautest" of horologies that I've ever worn has been my Rolexes. I understand what you're saying about that Rolex's movements are generally simpler (save for the YM2, SkyD, or event the DD) & they can therefore refine it to near mechanical perfection. I would hope that an AP 3-hander plus date would be in the same ballpark, especially with their new movement in the 37mm line.

Old 7 November 2023, 04:53 AM   #39
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Well... went to the boutique, tried on the 37mm...

The bracelet is other-worldly. To me, that's the star of the show. It flexes, it shines, it sparkles, it's comfortable, it's thin. WOW. They only had the grey dial 37 (which I didn't care for & was kinda boring in person. The SA, in no uncertain terms, said that "they give preferential treatment to customers with a purchase history" & "there is no waitlist, but production is over two years out."

To me, this said "get in line, plebe." I said I was only interested in the ice blue 37, that I didn't like the other colors or any of the other models. He did try to push the Code 1159s. If the stars align, so be it.

Old 7 November 2023, 01:07 PM   #40
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
Very nervous venturing away from the crown-faithful with this post, but there has been so much hype surrounding the APRO recently. I'm not one to follow the whims of celebrities & other trends, but I'm curious: as an APRO owner, what is the X factor to your watch that I'm naive to? I hope I'm correct in assuming this esteemed group of e-colleagues also don't buy the "current hype watch," so what's it all about?

I've never handled one, just seen videos online & the rare occasion of seeing one "in the wild." The 37mm 50th anniv. with the ice blue dial is very attractive.

Do I have a spare $50k to spend on another watch? Not at the moment, as my Smurf is my pride & joy. Do I browse C24 whenever I'm not actively working? I plead the 5th.

jlg

The bracelet, the finishing, the play on light when you look at the watch from all angles. The finishing on the movement, and all the the rest of the parts do it for me too.

Call me silly, but I prefer the AP bracelet over the Nautilus, Overseas and both Oyster and Jubilee bracelets in both comfort and aesthetics. Accuracy leaves a lot to be desired if that is your thing.
PreferHackingSeconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 09:15 AM   #41
abacona
"TRF" Member

It’s just a different universe from Rolex. Not better or worse per say, but this universe has its own set of rules and tradeoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2023, 10:12 AM   #42
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
The company history, the work by Gerald Genta, beautiful wrist presence — offsetting the relatively poor timekeeping and frequent needed service.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apro , royal oak , steel