The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 June 2019, 06:12 PM   #1
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Yacht Master gaining time

I have a 2005 Yacht Master which was gaining about 2 minutes a week. It was overhauled last September. Since then, it still gains time, but much less, about 4-5 seconds a day, more than the Rolex standard of plus/minus 2 seconds a day. I have tried placing it on edge, crown down overnight, but it still gains. Any suggestions?

Carl
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Yep, buy a quartz watch!
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 11:59 PM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl3150 View Post
I have a 2005 Yacht Master which was gaining about 2 minutes a week. It was overhauled last September. Since then, it still gains time, but much less, about 4-5 seconds a day, more than the Rolex standard of plus/minus 2 seconds a day. I have tried placing it on edge, crown down overnight, but it still gains. Any suggestions?

Carl
If the watchmaker who serviced it gave you a list of positional timings, that should point the way (if he/she didn't, go back and ask for it to be tested !)

As commented in another recent post, it's a bit random as far as which positions run slower/faster than others - the old often quoted Rolex advice doesn't apply to modern movements.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 12:52 AM   #4
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
My DJII gains about 25-30 secs per week and it was recently regulated by RSC in Dallas and I never got any paperwork on the regulation but I know they did something as it was about a minute fast before going, funny this is it is +/-1 while static in any resting position but gains time while wearing.

As it was explained to me by many here it’s a mechanical movement that is affected by all sorts of things while wearing so unless it’s off by say a lot more than the 4-5 secs per day or 35 sec per week I would not even worry just reset it every other week and enjoy the watch
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:02 AM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Have the regulation rechecked and adjusted if necessary. Maybe it did not quite get set right at the service. Things happen; no one is perfect.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 03:15 AM   #6
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
A watch that is 15 years old, I'd probably accept that error, if everything else looked good (like BE and AMP)

That said, my 2018 DJ41 is in the shop for running -8 spd and having a real low amplitude.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 07:52 AM   #7
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
A watch that is 15 years old, I'd probably accept that error, if everything else looked good (like BE and AMP)

That said, my 2018 DJ41 is in the shop for running -8 spd and having a real low amplitude.
Was the watch purchased new, as I said my DJII was NIB and was originally purchased in Nov of 2017 and was running +6/7 SPD fast so by weeks end was pretty fast and slightly out COSC spec and surly out of the new spec of +/-2 so I sent it off and now it’s just 3 SPD fast and that’s not enough for me to be overly concerned, would be nice if it were closer but in the scheme of things only being off by 3 secs out of 86,400 secs in a day is pretty darn good
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:33 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

Carl
Your watch is outside of the recent -2/+2 standards era.

However, it could likely perform better. Take it to a watchmaker and have it regulated.
Old 20 June 2019, 12:51 PM   #9
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:

Carl
Hi,
Do you constantly use a laptop while wearing that watch?

cheers
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 04:28 AM   #10
Jostack
"TRF" Member

I get the feeling that watch timing may be a bit of an art as much as technical ability. Clearly a Rolex is capable of operating within specs. There are plenty of posts that reflect this. I think it is silly that people recommend quartz or just accepting it running out of spec. It is perfectly reasonable to expect regulation within the Rolex specs, even on an older watch that has been serviced. Isn’t that the point of a service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jostack is offline   Reply With Quote