The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 May 2019, 04:24 AM   #1
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 116713
Incoming Pam 797

Having admired Panerais from afar over the years, I finally took the plunge on Friday. My journey to my first Panerai started with a 312 because I liked the old look however I wanted a brand new watch so I moved on from this reference. I then looked at the updated 1312 however I didn’t like the smaller lugs and it didn’t sit comfortably on my wrist. I considered the 1359, however it looked small on my wrist.

Whilst at the Panerai Boutique, I stumbled across the Pam 797 which completely blew me away. I loved the brushed titanium case and bezel, and the brown sandwich dial. Now I know some don’t like the power reserve on the dial, however I think it gives the dial character. After a few back and forths, I picked one up at the airport on Friday on my way to Holland with my son for a football tournament. I got a 20% discount (happy days)!!!

I had the rubber strap fitted by the AD and I can’t get enough of it. My first watch on a rubber strap. I can’t believe I didn’t take the plunge earlier. I am absolutely loving it.

I’ve attached a few photos. As you’ll see, there’s a lot of alcohol involved to celebrate the purchase and the football results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duke of Dulwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:23 AM   #2
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congratulations!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 06:44 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

Beautiful Pam. Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Looks great on you. Congratulations
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2019, 02:57 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Many congrats! Ti & brown dial make for a great combo.

I’m with you on the PR indicator - I like it.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the messages guys.

I thought my weekend couldn’t get any better after my acquisition and knowing I would get to spend some quality time with my son whilst in Holland for his international football tournament, but no it got infinitely better. His team won the competition.

Photos of the trophy coming home with us and his trophy haul with my new watch

b0c7203c-e0d7-4c14-b7d2-8599048c6dff.jpg67df8ffe-a541-44fd-ba7b-a004b713cdd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 December 2019, 07:23 AM   #7
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Belated congratulations to you on the PAM 797 and to your son on the football trophy!

I have had my eyes on the 797 since it was introduced, and after seeing it in real life at the local Panerai Boutique, I think it might be my next Panerai. I have two already, but they are going to be sold. I think this 797 will be the only one need!

Love the Power Reserve Indicator on the dial, and how you can watch it move up as you wind the watch. I had a PAM 562 8-day (loved the titanium) and regret selling it, but this might be even better. It did not have the PR Indicator, so I had to keep track of the days, which wasn't a big deal and actually kind of fun as well.

I might add that I think the PR Indicator is more subtle in real life, than in the photos. I think that if folks saw it in real life, many might change their minds.

Glad to read your review. This is the first review I have seen from an owner of this model.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 10 December 2019, 07:32 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations all around
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Duke of Dulwich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlhaluss View Post
Belated congratulations to you on the PAM 797 and to your son on the football trophy!

I have had my eyes on the 797 since it was introduced, and after seeing it in real life at the local Panerai Boutique, I think it might be my next Panerai. I have two already, but they are going to be sold. I think this 797 will be the only one need!

Love the Power Reserve Indicator on the dial, and how you can watch it move up as you wind the watch. I had a PAM 562 8-day (loved the titanium) and regret selling it, but this might be even better. It did not have the PR Indicator, so I had to keep track of the days, which wasn't a big deal and actually kind of fun as well.

I might add that I think the PR Indicator is more subtle in real life, than in the photos. I think that if folks saw it in real life, many might change their minds.

Glad to read your review. This is the first review I have seen from an owner of this model.

Cheers,
Carl
Thanks! I am still loving the watch. I especially love the rubber strap and sandwich dial. My next watch is either a Pam 422 or a vintage Air King. Two extremely different watches.
Old 10 December 2019, 09:08 PM   #10
emtee
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. I tried this one at the Florence boutique and it was between this and the 564. I also think the PR looks cool and both watches look way better IRL than in photos mainly because the Ti doesn’t shine like steal.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 02:56 AM   #11
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Congratulations a fine looking piece.
Old 12 December 2019, 07:21 AM   #12
siegrist
"TRF" Member

excellent! Congratulations
siegrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 01:45 PM   #13
ajsqm2
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 335
Congrats! Great Watch
ajsqm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 02:08 PM   #14
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Dulwich View Post
Thanks! I am still loving the watch. I especially love the rubber strap and sandwich dial. My next watch is either a Pam 422 or a vintage Air King. Two extremely different watches.
I like, and share, your attitude about watches and in particular watch sizes. Going from a 34mm Air King to a 47mm Radiomir, sometimes in the same day, I find particularly enjoyable. While I don't have my Air King any more, some days I really miss it and am looking at the OP34, which now takes the place of the older Air King.

Enjoy them both! And the PAM 422 is a great watch as well.

Cheers,
Carl