The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 17 October 2022, 01:28 PM   #1
grizzlymambo
"TRF" Member

A fear I have with selling

I haven't gotten to the point yet, but my fear if I sell my Rolex to someone online is that when they receive my watch, they will switch it with a fake and claim that I sent a fake instead.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this? My idea is to go to the local police station and ask an officer to help me identify the serial number of the watch before putting it into the envelope, while I film it.

Thoughts?
grizzlymambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:33 PM   #2
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
My idea is to go to the local police station and ask an officer to help me identify the serial number of the watch before putting it into the envelope, while I film it.

Thoughts?
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:37 PM   #3
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Buy the buyer
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:41 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
I haven't gotten to the point yet, but my fear if I sell my Rolex to someone online is that when they receive my watch, they will switch it with a fake and claim that I sent a fake instead.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this? My idea is to go to the local police station and ask an officer to help me identify the serial number of the watch before putting it into the envelope, while I film it.

Thoughts?

This is why I have never sold online. But I am interested in any responses here, because I have sometimes thought about selling pieces in my collection that I never wear anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:00 PM   #5
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I would post on WUS and sell to anyone willing to pay with Zelle or bank transfer or with PP to trusted buyers. Those with a history of buying selling and/or a very long presence with lots of posts on WUS, TRF, or the likes. Also arrange for a video conference prior to sending the watch to answer questions, discuss details. Haven’t sold lots of watches but so far I have not had any such issues

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:05 PM   #6
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Screen anyone who is interested in buying.

If you sell using a forum, check the potential buyers post history and just general history on that platform. If they just made the account and have very low post history (or none), be cautious.

If they have a rich history in the forum, post semi often, are active and have feedback, you can tend to trust them a little more.

I have been scammed/almost been scammed in selling items from my other hobbies, and typically the scammer/potential scammer accounts were new with very little post history.

Learn from my mistakes and screen anyone interested in buying.

The cop thing is not really a tactic that would work. Typically if someone is out to scam, they are going to use the payment method used to scam. Example: If they use PayPal, PayPal generally will side with the buyer, and PayPal also allows for chargebacks. I would only allow a PayPal payment to trusted people. If they aren't trusted (i.e. not a lot of history), have them pay using a method they can't do a chargeback on, like a direct Bank Wire.
Old 17 October 2022, 02:07 PM   #7
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

If you’re that worried, sell to a dealer or trusted grey.

bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:09 PM   #8
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Sell to one of the reseller regulars here on TRF. You won’t get absolute top dollar but you will get a stressfree deal. The last Rolex I sold a few years ago was to Takuya who is one of the Trusted Sellers here.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:37 PM   #9
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Consignment with a trusted dealer might be the way to go?
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 02:47 PM   #10
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

There is a reason people to sell to dealers, sure you get less money but no hassle or risk.

I don't know if it's the norm but when I sold to a small dealer, he paid about 15% less than market/what he sold it for.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 04:22 PM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Don’t deal with private persons ever, it can only go wrong.

Accept a lower price and sell to one of the boutique sellers, see the for sale section.
Old 17 October 2022, 04:32 PM   #12
harvey
"TRF" Member

…while at the police station, ask the officer to give it a light polish as well.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 05:11 PM   #13
TimepieceRPP
"TRF" Member

I understand your worry. I will only sell directly to watchfinder and dealers, yes, price is nor great but save me hassle
TimepieceRPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 07:29 PM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've sold a Breitling and a Tag Heuer. I got plenty of decent offers, the best coming from Watchfinder. It was easy. I probably would have got more selling privately but I considered the potential risks to be unacceptable. You have to draw your line as best suits you. It sounds like you would be more comfortable speaking to an established dealer.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 07:37 PM   #15
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
sell my Rolex to someone online
Which platform do you want to use to sell?
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 07:45 PM   #16
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Some online companies will do the authentication before they send it out to the buyer (or back the the seller if they deem it unauthentic)
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 08:17 PM   #17
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
A dealer will take your Rolex watch at 70% of market value. That 30% gross margin is the price to pay for a seamless and secure transaction.

If you sell on your own, you could get 85% of market value, but is that 15% extra worth the risk of losing it all? Only way to protect yourself is either knowing the buyer personally, or having a high degree of trust based on his/her activity on forums which is by no means a guarantee everything will be fine.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 08:21 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve sold a few watches to people directly.

Have them wire you the money first and make sure it clears your account. Document the watch with photos serial number, receipts etc.

The ball is in the sellers court always
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 08:42 PM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Welcome to the forum
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 08:54 PM   #20
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
A fear I have with selling

I sold an Omega Aqua Terra that I had purchased at an AD to a poster on a well known watch enthusiasts forum. I did the transaction in person.

2 days later, he sends me an email saying the watch is fake and he wants his money back. I told him that the watch was legitimate and that I had provided him with all the papers.

Same day he says I bought the watch over the grey market and not an AD, so he no longer wants it and wants a refund. I reminded him that the receipt I provided shows it was purchased at an Omega AD.

The next day, he calls me and says I sold him a broken watch and it’s losing 4 hours of time a day. I told him that the watch is fine and reminded him to wind it. He was very upset over the phone and demanded to meet in person to return the watch for a cash refund. I politely declined.

I then wander back to the Omega forum to see if he has anything interesting in his posting history. Near the top of the page was a thread he had started 3 days earlier “Help! I dropped my new Omega AT and it’s broken” where he derailed buying a slightly used Aqua Terra … leaving it on his night stand the first night … knowing it off the night stand … and now it’s losing time.

I sent him the thread link over email, wished him the best of luck with the repair, and asked him not to contact me again.

I would only sell to a used watch to a grey dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 09:24 PM   #21
CJS57
"TRF" Member

I sold a near mint 124060 on this forum for $10,750 my grey dealer offered $10,000 (but I had to send him the watch first before payment). So it was worth the risk for me to sell private.
Just get a bank wire transfer, photograph the watch and packaging and send it next day air. I don't see how a buyer would risk over $10,000 to pull off a scam that has little chance of succeeding. I would like to hear of fraudulent buyers who got their money back and the watch for free using a wire transfer.
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 09:43 PM   #22
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS57 View Post
I don't see how a buyer would risk over $10,000 to pull off a scam that has little chance of succeeding.
For a scammer it's a no lose proposition. They either get the watch at market price or they get the watch and keep the money. Someone who knows how to run a scam can make a seller's life miserable.

This doesn't only apply to watches. I was scammed on eBay and eBay wanted to settle the dispute in the scammer's favour just to clear it off their system. The amount of time and effort I needed to put in just to get an honest resolution was ridiculous.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 09:54 PM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Sell to a grey. I don't sell the expensive stuff on my own anymore. Not worth the hassle. You can also sell on Chrono24 for protection.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 09:56 PM   #24
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

For the risk adverse seller, especially a first time seller, it is best to use a trusted dealer.

Most will email a label after you share pictures and set a mutually agreeable value. Then, you ship the watch, accept the offer after confirmation (or decline a counter offer) - you pay the shipping back to you.

Yes, that requires trust so choose wisely among the TRF boutique dealers.

Otherwise, go to a pawn shop, a local dealer or a friend to sell it. Less risk, less financial gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 10:33 PM   #25
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Why are you selling, do you have paperwork for the most recent service, what’s the very least you will accept, mate?
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 10:39 PM   #26
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I've bought and sold plenty of watches here, Watchuseek, OmegaForums, and even eBay. The one and only time I had an issue was on eBay, as a buyer, and the seller took the (fake) watch back and refunded my money in exchange for not giving them bad feedback.

Most people are honest.

As noted above, don't use a payment service like PayPal. Require cash or wire in advance.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 10:47 PM   #27
Podmornica
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I've bought and sold plenty of watches here, Watchuseek, OmegaForums, and even eBay. The one and only time I had an issue was on eBay, as a buyer, and the seller took the (fake) watch back and refunded my money in exchange for not giving them bad feedback.

Most people are honest.

As noted above, don't use a payment service like PayPal. Require cash or wire in advance.
What do you mean by "in exchange for not giving them bad feedback"?

How can you even trade with something like that? By not giving him the deserved negative feedback you might have screwed a new buyer that may not be aware it's a fake watch if the seller decides to sell him one ..
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 11:06 PM   #28
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Don’t deal with private persons ever, it can only go wrong.

Accept a lower price and sell to one of the boutique sellers, see the for sale section.
This is the only way. I never sell privately. It's just a no-go in today's world unless you know the other party. My fear was always the buyer will open the watch, switch out whatever part they need and then try to return my watch. I have always said "no returns" which is why I never sold much privately. I have no idea what someone will do to or with my watch when they have it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 11:19 PM   #29
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
This is the only way. I never sell privately. It's just a no-go in today's world unless you know the other party. My fear was always the buyer will open the watch, switch out whatever part they need and then try to return my watch. I have always said "no returns" which is why I never sold much privately. I have no idea what someone will do to or with my watch when they have it.
Live & learn !
I can't believe that I had never considered someone switching out the internals.

I've sold many watches , most moderately priced 1-3k so that range wouldn't be as susceptible to this type of fraud .

crazy times - worrying about catalytic converters being stolen & now watch mov'ts being switched - criminals & their crimes
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 11:29 PM   #30
ndane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I sold an Omega Aqua Terra that I had purchased at an AD to a poster on a well known watch enthusiasts forum. I did the transaction in person.

2 days later, he sends me an email saying the watch is fake and he wants his money back. I told him that the watch was legitimate and that I had provided him with all the papers.

Same day he says I bought the watch over the grey market and not an AD, so he no longer wants it and wants a refund. I reminded him that the receipt I provided shows it was purchased at an Omega AD.

The next day, he calls me and says I sold him a broken watch and it’s losing 4 hours of time a day. I told him that the watch is fine and reminded him to wind it. He was very upset over the phone and demanded to meet in person to return the watch for a cash refund. I politely declined.

I then wander back to the Omega forum to see if he has anything interesting in his posting history. Near the top of the page was a thread he had started 3 days earlier “Help! I dropped my new Omega AT and it’s broken” where he derailed buying a slightly used Aqua Terra … leaving it on his night stand the first night … knowing it off the night stand … and now it’s losing time.

I sent him the thread link over email, wished him the best of luck with the repair, and asked him not to contact me again.

I would only sell to a used watch to a grey dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in
Wow, such a dishonest dude—you handled it really well. Did he have any verifiable references as a buyer?
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote