The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 12 November 2022, 07:01 PM   #91
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettyOne View Post
Any deal can potentially go south at anytime. This is pretty standard across any selling platform. You will still have to do rigorous hw before making a purchase.
So if I still need rigorous due diligence, then that means there is a lot of risk when conducting business in Moda.

Why not just go with the less risky option, which is the trusted sellers here in rolexforums.com?

And awesome Aquanaut, by the way!

Last edited by bay_area_kid; 12 November 2022 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Fix spelling of "aquanut".
Old 12 November 2022, 07:16 PM   #92
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Well, that was fast.

I asked to join and only a few minutes later I got accepted. That is not a good sign because that means anyone can be accepted into Moda. God knows how many bad actors are already inside. I really hoped there would be more vetting.

But most importantly, it says wholesale right in the group rules:

So I am right all along.

It is a wholesale-only group!

And if you're new to the group, you ship the watch first before receiving payment? No thanks!
Old 12 November 2022, 07:25 PM   #93
eijiboy
Banned

Bought and sold watches at moda. No issues. I almost got kicked out there when i ask for cash instead of e checks.
Old 12 November 2022, 07:26 PM   #94
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area_kid View Post
Well, that was fast.

I asked to join and only a few minutes later I got accepted. That is not a good sign because that means anyone can be accepted into Moda. God knows how many bad actors are already inside. I really hoped there would be more vetting.

So I am right all along.

And if you're new to the group, you ship the watch first before receiving payment? No thanks!
Ive shipped watched before cash at moda. no issues.

Wholesale or not wholesale, whats important is that you yourself can buy one at a great price compare to davidsw and other seller here. you dont need to be a wholesaler to be able to buy it.
Old 12 November 2022, 08:37 PM   #95
mikel
"TRF" Member

Good back and forth discussion here.
Learning a lot about prices, MODA and state of the market.

Does MODA have a "Watch Out" style section where any issues are resolved.

The strength of the US dollar would prevent me from buying there.
Old 12 November 2022, 09:07 PM   #96
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, that was fast.

So I am right all along.

As mentioned, read the rules. It’s not as easy as anyone will send you funds because you are a member lol.

It’s also known by now that MODA has opened up to non dealers, it wasn’t as easy to join previously. I guess this is mainly due to slower sales? All this only point to one obvious direction.
Old 13 November 2022, 12:16 AM   #97
dmash
"TRF" Member

Sigh, and that’s why I shouldn’t have responded. I try to be nice and help you out and that’s what I get.

As illustrated by your response, you don’t want to learn anything, you did nothing but defend a singular point instead of see the big picture, in one ear and out the other. It’s not very becoming in my opinion.

Have a good one Kid.
Old 13 November 2022, 03:09 AM   #98
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Sigh, and that’s why I shouldn’t have responded. I try to be nice and help you out and that’s what I get.

As illustrated by your response, you don’t want to learn anything, you did nothing but defend a singular point instead of see the big picture, in one ear and out the other. It’s not very becoming in my opinion.

Have a good one Kid.
Dear dmash, just wanted to thank you for your diligence and tenacity, as well as spending your valuable time researching trends and keeping us loyal TRF members in the loop on the dynamics of pricing that we all are affected by in the ever-changing marketplace. Also, for framing it in a way that a novice might understand should they endeavor -- that is the big picture!

I have only been a member here for a little over 13 years and I am constantly amazed by how much there is to learn should one be willing to be open to emerging trends and diverse opinions of members such as yourself who do the research and offer opinions for the benefit of all of us. Please keep it up!
Old 13 November 2022, 03:15 AM   #99
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
Dear dmash, just wanted to thank you for your diligence and tenacity, as well as spending your valuable time researching trends and keeping us loyal TRF members in the loop on the dynamics of pricing that we all are affected by in the ever-changing marketplace. Also, for framing it in a way that a novice might understand should they endeavor -- that is the big picture!

I have only been a member here for a little over 13 years and I am constantly amazed by how much there is to learn should one be willing to be open to emerging trends and diverse opinions of members such as yourself who do the research and offer opinions for the benefit of all of us. Please keep it up!
I appreciate that, especially coming from a more tenured member than myself.

In all honesty I’ve been posting diligently about the true market value to genuinely *help* fellow members not to overpay nor get bamboozled in this current, completely fabricated market. It’s time things return to some sense of normalcy and true horologists can enjoy this hobby once again. And if there are new guys who genuinely do like watches, I’m all welcoming! But this place, and watches in general have been slightly tarnished from the last couple years. Happy we’re tending downwards (rapidly, and consistently).
Old 13 November 2022, 04:06 AM   #100
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Have a good one Kid.
I also want to say thanks. I was going to joke that I joined MODA and spend all my time posting inflated values, but now’s not the time.

I have a friend in the wholesale jewelry biz and his partner is the watch guy. Both have been saying for months that now’s the time to sell, meaning before Q4 at the latest. So your posts all line up with what they are saying.
Old 13 November 2022, 05:32 AM   #101
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Old 13 November 2022, 07:55 AM   #102
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Have a good one Kid.
And there it is again.

You always revert back to a dismissive, haughty attitude. You always act like you are better and smarter than everyone here.

I even joined Moda to show my good faith and when I saw more discrepancies in your logic, I posted a screenshot to highlight those and I presented you with more questions. But you keep ignoring them.

I'm trying to have a good, open discussion with you, with good faith questions to challenge your claims and it's clear you just want to put people down who don't agree with you or who have legitimate questions challenging your viewpoints.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:01 AM   #103
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
As mentioned, read the rules. It’s not as easy as anyone will send you funds because you are a member lol.

It’s also known by now that MODA has opened up to non dealers, it wasn’t as easy to join previously. I guess this is mainly due to slower sales? All this only point to one obvious direction.
Exactly!

For the safety of TRF members who are not as experienced with trading Rolexes online, we shouldn't just blindly accept claims that everyone can get a Rolex from a Facebook group at a bargain price.

Even worse is claiming that Facebook group is now the "market price".

The group itself actually says it is only for "experienced dealers, traders, and collectors". Their words, not mine. See my previous screenshot as evidence.

Buyer beware.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:13 AM   #104
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Exactly!

For the safety of TRF members who are not as experienced with trading Rolexes online, we shouldn't just blindly accept claims that everyone can get a Rolex from a Facebook group at a bargain price.

The group itself actually says it is only for "experienced dealers, traders, and collectors". Their words, not mine. See my previous screenshot as evidence.

Buyer beware.
I did. never had problems with moda fb group. im not even an experienced dealer and yet i bought and sold watches there. I even shipped watches before wire and i wired before shipping at moda. No issues.

Even an experienced dealer here at trf are there as well selling watches and maybe buying ane as well.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:19 AM   #105
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
I also want to say thanks. I was going to joke that I joined MODA and spend all my time posting inflated values, but now’s not the time.

I have a friend in the wholesale jewelry biz and his partner is the watch guy. Both have been saying for months that now’s the time to sell, meaning before Q4 at the latest. So your posts all line up with what they are saying.
You got it
Old 13 November 2022, 08:23 AM   #106
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly!

Buyer beware.
Ok.
Old 13 November 2022, 08:32 AM   #107
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijiboy View Post
I did. never had problems with moda fb group. im not even an experienced dealer and yet i bought and sold watches there. I even shipped watches before wire and i wired before shipping at moda. No issues.

Even an experienced dealer here at trf are there as well selling watches and maybe buying ane as well.
That is great!

Can you share more about your experience with buying/selling in Moda? I believe we have quite a lot of people here that are skeptical and/or unfamiliar with Moda.

The burning question for me is if a Moda member is scammed by another member, how is that handled? Is there some sort of recompense process?
Old 13 November 2022, 08:43 AM   #108
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
That is great!

Can you share more about your experience with buying/selling in Moda? I believe we have quite a lot of people here that are skeptical and/or unfamiliar with Moda.

The burning question for me is if a Moda member is scammed by another member, how is that handled? Is there some sort of recompense process?
Who is that seller? wherever you buy, you always do your diligence and do reference check. if you are unsure, use their escrow service. i bought a sub there, i wired the money and got the watch the next day. i sold one watch there. the buyer sent me a label then shipped it. Buyer got the watch and sent me an e check. i didnt even deposited it the same day. I believe i deposit it after a week. no issues. checks is still legit. Every monday theres this text message from moda that you can text a pics of a watch you want to sell. you can send a pictures, condition, and price . They will text you back for a counter offer or agreed to your price. then he will tell you who is the buyer and you dm him. The buyer gives you label and you ship it first. once he got it, he wil wire you the money or e check. my last deal was i asked for cash and almost got kicked out since i didnt disclose it the time when i trying to sell it via text on monday sale. Good thing the buyer were able to find a cash for me and we got a deal or else im already kicked out there.

Scam is everywhere on every platform. Even here a lot of people get scammed. regardless where you buying, always do reference check and make sure you dealing with the right person.
Old 13 November 2022, 09:09 AM   #109
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who is that seller? wherever you buy, you always do your diligence and do reference check. if you are unsure, use their escrow service. i bought a sub there, i wired the money and got the watch the next day. i sold one watch there. the buyer sent me a label then shipped it. Buyer got the watch and sent me an e check. i didnt even deposited it the same day. I believe i deposit it after a week. no issues. checks is still legit. Every monday theres this text message from moda that you can text a pics of a watch you want to sell. you can send a pictures, condition, and price . They will text you back for a counter offer or agreed to your price. then he will tell you who is the buyer and you dm him. The buyer gives you label and you ship it first. once he got it, he wil wire you the money or e check. my last deal was i asked for cash and almost got kicked out since i didnt disclose it the time when i trying to sell it via text on monday sale. Good thing the buyer were able to find a cash for me and we got a deal or else im already kicked out there.

Scam is everywhere on every platform. Even here a lot of people get scammed. regardless where you buying, always do reference check and make sure you dealing with the right person.
That is very helpful, thank you! That info about escrow service within Moda is a game changer. I wish that was mentioned earlier and could've saved us a lot of time and misunderstanding.

However, it looks like you still have to do the vetting and due diligence yourself. Which makes sense because it's still a wholesale platform in general, the slight twist is that it is also open to non-dealers if you are willing to do the work.

This lines up with my original claim that getting a mint 126610LN for $12k is possible only via wholesaler group (which can be open to non-wholesaler people with added caveats + escrow).

But for the rest of the people who have a lower risk tolerance and/or don't want to go through the hoops of vetting and due diligence, the best way is still trusted sellers in the secondary retail market. You pay extra for the added convenience and security, which for some people is worth it.
Old 13 November 2022, 09:17 AM   #110
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
That is very helpful, thank you! That info about escrow service within Moda is a game changer. I wish that was mentioned earlier and could've saved us a lot of time and misunderstanding.

However, it looks like you still have to do the vetting and due diligence yourself. Which makes sense because it's still a wholesale platform in general, the slight twist is that it is also open to non-dealers if you are willing to do the work.

This lines up with my original claim that getting a mint 126610LN for $12k is possible only via wholesaler group (which can be open to non-wholesaler people with added caveats + escrow).

But for the rest of the people who have a lower risk tolerance and/or don't want to go through the hoops of vetting and due diligence, the best way is still trusted sellers in the secondary retail market. You pay extra for the added convenience and security, which for some people is worth it.
AT moda, who has a group expert or conversation starter tags are the legits and vetted. they have 126610ln for 12-12.7k. Doing due diligence is not that hard. all you have to do is ask for reference check and people will back it up with their own money. its not like will cost you a lot of time or any money at all. And escrow service is on 1% fee.
At moda, most of the people that post watches for sale are the ones are legit and vetted but you can still do reference check.

Im no dealer but neve rhad problems with it and they never treated me any different.

And like i said before, it doesnt matter what platform you use, you still have to do your own diligence. But if your willing to pay 17k fpr 126610ln from a truzted seller by all means go for it. But i wont, knowing i could buy one of the same watch at 12k which is a 5k savings. And even if you used escrow service, you wont even reach the total of 17k.

At moda, once you scammed or didnt buy a watch and you marked it sold, your OUT!
Old 13 November 2022, 09:39 AM   #111
ThatOtherGuy7
"TRF" Member

Can someone please let me know when Daytona is in the $18-20K range on MODA? :)
Old 13 November 2022, 09:39 AM   #112
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2022, 09:51 AM   #113
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
people will back it up with their own money.
Interesting! Does this mean the people vouching for the seller with recompense you if the unfortunate thing happens and the seller goes dark?

Quote:
But if your willing to pay 17k fpr 126610ln from a truzted seller by all means go for it. But i wont, knowing i could buy one of the same watch at 12k which is a 5k savings.
From what I gathered here, DavidSW has a very stellar reputation so there is no need to do any vetting. It is almost guaranteed you will get the watch the very next day before noon after you wire him the money.

I agree with you, though. His premium is way too much. I honestly wouldn't pay over MSRP anyway. But for some people, the premium is worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 13 November 2022, 09:56 AM   #114
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy7 View Post
Can someone please let me know when Daytona is in the $18-20K range on MODA? :)
If I see one, I'll post here

I am now a member of the group so I can see all the postings.

I'm still a bit suspicious they let me join without any vetting. For all they know, I could be someone willing to play the long con. Someone willing to spend a couple of years to establish trust. Then one day, when the money on the line is big enough, go completely dark and enjoy my ill-gotten gains in some tropical beach far away.
Old 13 November 2022, 09:57 AM   #115
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Interesting! Does this mean the people vouching for the seller with recompense you if the unfortunate thing happens and the seller goes dark?

From what I gathered here, DavidSW has a very stellar reputation so there is no need to do any vetting. It is almost guaranteed you will get the watch the very next day before noon after you wire him the money.

I agree with you, though. His premium is way too much. I honestly wouldn't pay over MSRP anyway. But for some people, the premium is worth it for the peace of mind.
Yup! they will pay or give you the watch if it the buyer didnt do what hes suppose to do. But like i said, that buyer who has a lot of vouch will not scam you.

Well for a 5k is worth the stress go for it. If it were me, il fly to the seller that sells a watch for 12k and buy it face to face and still wont reach you 5k premium. Or like i said, escrow is the best.
Old 13 November 2022, 10:44 AM   #116
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For all they know, I could be someone willing to play the long con. Someone willing to spend a couple of years to establish trust. Then one day, when the money on the line is big enough, go completely dark and enjoy my ill-gotten gains in some tropical beach far away.
This happened on every platform, everywhere. I’m sure it has already played out a few times on MODA. It’s up to admins to handle those larger claims. I suspect this is how MODA will cease operation, when the rug-pulled is too large to cover.
Old 13 November 2022, 02:24 PM   #117
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Yeah scams do happen everywhere and anywhere. Due diligence is always a must. Trusted sellers anywhere too, have the possibility of pulling the plug one day.
Old 14 November 2022, 12:07 AM   #118
train-time
"TRF" Member

Pricing continues to move downwards:

Both 2022 models; one at $12,975 and a Boutiques seller at $14,625

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=880549

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=879965

I suspect after the Holidays there will not be room to make a profit over MSRP.
Old 14 November 2022, 12:53 AM   #119
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
And there it is again.

You always revert back to a dismissive, haughty attitude. You always act like you are better and smarter than everyone here.

I even joined Moda to show my good faith and when I saw more discrepancies in your logic, I posted a screenshot to highlight those and I presented you with more questions. But you keep ignoring them.

I'm trying to have a good, open discussion with you, with good faith questions to challenge your claims and it's clear you just want to put people down who don't agree with you or who have legitimate questions challenging your viewpoints.

Did you and dmash date in high school and have a really bad breakup? Am I close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 November 2022, 01:36 AM   #120
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
This Moda thing sounds a lot like the actual jewelry industry. Those folks send pieces to each other all the time with no money passing until there is a commitment. One guy sends a handful of diamonds to the other guy. He keeps 3 and sends 2 back. At some point, he pays for them. This works because it's a small industry and they all know each other.

If they know you, the end user, they do the same thing. My jeweler has shipped potential gifts for my wife multiple times with me not paying anything until I was sure it was the right gift for my wife. No credit card holds, it's all cash...they just trust you.
Closed Thread