The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 July 2010, 10:59 AM   #1
ufboy73
Banned

First Panerai Questions

Hey Guys,

I am quite familiar with the Rolex world (at least the sports models that seem to interest me more).

After taking a serious look for the first time at some Panerais at an AD, I think I've got the fever! Just beautiful - some unholy combination of artistic beuaty and functional ruggedness that is completely compelling to me.

In doing a bit of research on the history of Panerai (as these types of things play a role for me - albeit a romanticised version no doubt), I had some questions that I am hoping you guys could help me with.

I know, for example, that historically the Radiomir came first followed in the late '40s by the Luminor. I also know that the current Panerai catalogue is divided by the Historic and Contemporary lines. I am curious, am I correct in thinking that the ALL of the models found in the Historic lineup are (or I should say at one time, WERE) models that OP produced for military purposes? As a further example, I would guess that the more austere 112 is more likely than the 111 to be represenative of the original Luminor model - am I wrong here? Which of the current models have that kind of historic pedigree?

Are there other currently produced models in that are 'truer' to the orginals that were produced in the '30s, '40s, and '50s?

And what of the OP logo? Does that have some sort of historical precedent or is it a more recent development?

Not saying that this would be the determining factor in my decision BUT I certaily do like the idea of history behind my next watch.

THanks a lot!

For my first PAM, I am really thinking about the 111, 112, 000 - but the 312 sure looks beuatiful as well. A GMT could certainly come in handy with all of my work travel also - though, I would think this is clearly a more recently designed model.
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I believe you can't be wrong with 000, 111, or 112.... I had to choose 111 because I need the second hand to tell me if i need to wind the watch or not.... 112 may look close to the real DNA as it is the base lum without logo.... looks neat, but some people may look at it as being too simple... if you are looking at modern panerai, I don't see anything wrong at all the 3 options you put there...
However, if you are comparing patina, then it will matter a lot for vintage ones as people tend to go for the base classic look of the real DNA.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

The choices you listed are all excellent and reflect the brand's history. Good luck and enjoy these fantastic watches!!..
Old 5 July 2010, 11:31 AM   #4
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Bryan, just like what you told me when i was comparing my choices before becoming risti....
Old 6 July 2010, 04:48 AM   #5
ufboy73
Banned

hey, thanks a lot guys!

a couple of specific follow-up items (if i may):

- Was the OP logo on some of the original watches?? I am confused because I did not think that it was but in some other posts I see references to people really liking the 000 model because of the 'historical' aspects of the watch (which would kind of suggest that the logo was, in fact, on some of the early watches)

- In almost every 'First PAM' thread, the models that seem to dominate are the 000,111,005, 112 - basically, the same models I was interested in:) I was curious though, why so overwhelmingly Luminor models and not Radiomir. Most people seem to think the aforementioned models are the qunitessential or iconic PAM's but the Radiomir came first, right? Why isn't that considered 'iconic' - is it just that the love is greater for the Luminors in general? I suspect it has a lot to do with the locking crown mechanism and that this is considered part of the trademark (no pun intended) Panerai look.

Any thoughts on the above?
Old 6 July 2010, 09:07 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
hey, thanks a lot guys!

a couple of specific follow-up items (if i may):

- In almost every 'First PAM' thread, the models that seem to dominate are the 000,111,005, 112 - basically, the same models I was interested in:) I was curious though, why so overwhelmingly Luminor models and not Radiomir. Most people seem to think the aforementioned models are the qunitessential or iconic PAM's but the Radiomir came first, right? Why isn't that considered 'iconic' - is it just that the love is greater for the Luminors in general? I suspect it has a lot to do with the locking crown mechanism and that this is considered part of the trademark (no pun intended) Panerai look.

Any thoughts on the above?
Well, for me...I just love the look of the Luminor - the Crown Guard as you indicate. The sandwich dial and the mini-seconds...

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 10:16 AM   #7
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Bill, great pic as usual.... nice.
Old 6 July 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
jvo300
"TRF" Member

I'm far from an expert, but I will answer based upon my understanding.

1. I am unaware of the OP logo on any true vintage watch from the 30s/40s. I believe that the logo made it's appearance in the 90s. Keep in mind that the Panerai commercial brand is still young relative to it's long roots as military supplier to the Italian Navy. One of the most popular/collected logo watches from this period is the 201A.

2. Luminors in general are more popular to those new to the brand because of the distinctive look of the crown guard. Those looking for a true link to the history (or DNA as many like to call it) go back to some of the earliest watches from Panerai which are in fact Radiomirs. The dials of the popular Luminor models you mentioned are derivatives of these first Radiomir models such as the 3646.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
The most original DNA would be the Radiomirs and then followed by the Marinas.. The choices you listed are just great first panerais. :)
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 11:23 AM   #10
ufboy73
Banned

thanks for the clarification guys!

on a somewhat divergent topic - in my research I have come across a model that looks ridiculously cool - i THINK it is a 292 (black ceramic Black Seal but with some sort of torpedo logo on the dial). Just ballpark, what kind of market value for that model in today's terms?

Cursory research is revealing prices all over the place - i.e. $8k all the way up to $25k so far. What is more reality based? I don't know about it being a good 'first' PAM but, wow, this thing is a stunner to my eye!
Old 6 July 2010, 11:24 AM   #11
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
The most original DNA would be the Radiomirs and then followed by the Marinas.. The choices you listed are just great first panerais. :)
Interesting, so the Marina was the model that immediately followed the Radiomir (as opposed to the Luminor Base)?
Old 6 July 2010, 12:07 PM   #12
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufboy73 View Post
thanks for the clarification guys!

on a somewhat divergent topic - in my research I have come across a model that looks ridiculously cool - i THINK it is a 292 (black ceramic Black Seal but with some sort of torpedo logo on the dial). Just ballpark, what kind of market value for that model in today's terms?

Cursory research is revealing prices all over the place - i.e. $8k all the way up to $25k so far. What is more reality based? I don't know about it being a good 'first' PAM but, wow, this thing is a stunner to my eye!
The 292 price is all over the place. This is primarily due to the fact that most do not have the torpedo you referenced (called a PIG which is the submersible the Italian frogmen used). Collectors are drawn to the limited nature of the 292 with PIG and so prices are through the roof. Those without PIG are much more reasonably priced and within a tighter range. Hope that helps.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 12:14 PM   #13
vitix
Banned

Watch: magneeleVE
i love the pam 111, im after one...
vitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Go for 112. Look so classic.

Welcome to the Blueside
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 12:45 PM   #15
andrew79
"TRF" Member

The beauty of 111...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00196-20100706-0943.jpg (73.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 6 July 2010, 01:00 PM   #16
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
The beauty of 111...
hahaha, i love how these forums are just loaded with fantastic enablers - great pic - thanks for that!!

I stopped by one of my local AD's (there are two in my area). They had two models I was interested in - the 111 and actually the 3-day GMT (which is something that is flying a little bit under the radar and is in the running but probably wont make the finals - i travel a lot for work so the 2nd time zone could be very functional for me...but i dont think i will end up getting it. not as my first PAM anyway).

The 111 is truly beautiful. I really wish they had either the 000 or the 112 so i could have compared side by side...this soooooo excruciating...in such a good way though!
Old 6 July 2010, 01:28 PM   #17
andrew79
"TRF" Member

pic of 000..... i had this for 2 weeks only... then flipped to 111.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00067-20100508-1451.jpg (64.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 6 July 2010, 02:23 PM   #18
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
pic of 000..... i had this for 2 weeks only... then flipped to 111.
Nice Flip Andrew...and thanks for the compliment:

Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2010, 03:56 PM   #19
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Nice again....
Old 7 July 2010, 05:17 AM   #20
chrisok

Watch: Rolex,PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Nice Flip Andrew...and thanks for the compliment:

Bill,
You can post all the pictures you want now that i have a 111 !!
And another 111 vote for the OP!
chrisok is offline   Reply With Quote