The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 July 2022, 10:31 AM   #1
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41
Hawaii for the first time

Hello all,

I’m planning my first trip to Hawaii. Figured I’d see if anyone had specific recommendations. I’m going for 2 weeks with my wife and 2 young kids. We are leaning towards Maui and Kauai. Probably spending a week at each. We are into outdoor activities, hiking, beaches, fishing etc. I know people have a bunch of opinions about each island. We’d prefer to avoid the bigger city vibe.

We are also trying to decide between Airbnb and hotels. Leaning towards renting a house and car.

Recommendations on specific parts of each island?
Has anyone been fishing there? Looking to fly fish while there.
Restaurants?
Activities?

Any info is appreciated.

Watch pic just because!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 11:18 AM   #2
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Take me with you
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 11:23 AM   #3
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
In Kauai look up Kipu Ranch ATV tours. It’s a blast.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 12:04 PM   #4
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

We’ve done Maui twice with our kids twice. Each trip was 11 nights and we stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea. We picked there since the rooms are all suites and had a separate room where the kids slept and the bathroom was very spacious.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 01:15 AM   #5
sybaris
"TRF" Member

Used to live on Oahu. If you HAVE to go there just do an overnight and see The Puchbowl, hike up Diamond Head, USS Arizona and or USS Missouri, cliff dive on Eternity Beach, big waves on north shore (if in season). If I went to a beach it would be Waimanalo. If you are Gov or .mil a better spot is Bellows Air Force Station right next to it. The traffic is horrible around Honolulu, Waikiki has turned into Vegas-lite and the leeward locals still hate haole's but it's an interesting drive out that way to Ka'Ena Point.
sybaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 04:17 AM   #6
sybaris
"TRF" Member

Lived on Oahu and if you plan on working in a visit there I'd recommend just an overnight if even that. Things to see are USS Arizona and USS Missouri, Punchbowl Cemetery, hike up Diamond Head, big waves on the North Shore (season dependent), Tantalus Drive, hike to Makapu'u light house, drive out to Ka'Ena Point. If I had to go to a beach it would be Waimanalo. If you are Gov or .mil then I'd go to Bellows Airforce Station which is right next to it. Traffic around Honolulu is horrible and Waikiki has become a mini version of Vegas.

If you do that and rent a car do not leave your valuables in your car.
sybaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 10:27 AM   #7
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
With kids, one word…..Kauai

Old 18 July 2022, 10:57 AM   #8
Slippy Chips
"TRF" Member

I went to Maui a few years ago and it was simply magical. I don’t throw that around lightly. I grew up on the beach in Australia and have traveled to beaches all around the world. Maui was special. We went during whale season and it was one of the coolest things I’ve seen in person.

The northwest side of Maui is Kaanapali. There are quite a few resorts but I don’t think it was terribly busy or commercialized. The town of Lahaina is close for shopping or dinner. The sunset views from ka’anapali are an event.

I have Marriott points and status so we stayed at the Westin. The ritz is decent and quieter but the beach isn’t as nice and the hotel isn’t a close to the beach.
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 12:54 PM   #9
EagleBear
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Hawaii for the first time

Havaii is da bes brah… lol
If you feel down for a chopper ride Blue Hawaiian has a great 1.5 hr fly over the one we enjoyed the most is the Maui spectacular check it out on bluehawaiian.com also the sunrise bike ride down either Hana or Haleakala is easy to set a private create your own tour with Bike Maui
And an island fav is the Old Lahaina Luau not to be confused with the Lahaina Luau lol . But no matter where you go or what you do you’re in paradise my friend just Shaka Shaka your way through it and remember it’s the island of luv ;)
EagleBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2022, 03:41 PM   #10
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
Just got back from a week in Kauai. It was more crowded then the last time I was there. We stayed on the north shore, most of the excursions will be found on the south shore though. Make reservations for dinner well in advance! Food trucks for lunch, are some seriously good food.

DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 02:55 AM   #11
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Love Maui and Oahu. We'll be go sans kiddos to Kauai in early September.

While Waikiki can seem a bit touristy (Oahu in general), I think it's a great spot for the kids. So much to do and very kid-friendly.
Old 19 July 2022, 04:12 AM   #12
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Another vote for Kauai
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 04:15 AM   #13
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
Love Maui and Oahu. We'll be go sans kiddos to Kauai in early September.

While Waikiki can seem a bit touristy (Oahu in general), I think it's a great spot for the kids. So much to do and very kid-friendly.
+1 for Oahu all things aside if you only could visit 1 island Oahu has a little taste of almost everything the islands have to offer (Good and Bad).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EF8A364E-2915-4AB8-BE9D-016A9DA50E5E.jpeg (113.0 KB, 412 views)
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 07:05 AM   #14
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Been to Maui 5 times and always loved it. Road to Hana, [bicycle up] Mt Haleakala, Mama's Fish House [get reservations EARLY], traversing the West Maui Mountains, whale watching [from boat & land], are just a few of the highlights.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 07:49 AM   #15
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
For many years, Hubs and I went to Hawaii every six months -- in March or April, and then again in September. Maui and Kauai are where we would spend our time, although we have "done" Oahu and the Big Island. On Kauai we always stay at the Grand Hyatt (it was "only" a Hyatt Regency when we first started staying there), always in a room with a Lagoon view (and you do get at least a partial ocean view with most Lagoon view rooms). We don't have kids, but the Hyatt does have a kids' program that will keep the kids entertained all day so the adults can have some time alone. Their all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet is wonderful, and the Tidepools restaurant for dinner (https://www.tidepoolskauai.com/) is my favorite (I always get the Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi), although they have several other restaurants on site, too. Even if you're not staying at the Hyatt, you can still eat in the restaurants!

Kauai has the only navigable rivers in Hawaii, so you can do kayaking, and Waimea Canyon - the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" is worth seeing, and I believe you can zip line through it, too.

If you're into golf, there are beautiful courses on both Maui and Kauai. On Maui you can take the kids to the Maui Ocean Center, and/or go snorkeling. If you go in March/April, you can go on a whale watching cruise, but if you or your kids don't like being on boats, you can see the whales from shore.

Have fun!!!!
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2022, 10:31 PM   #16
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
Hello all,

I’m planning my first trip to Hawaii. Figured I’d see if anyone had specific recommendations. I’m going for 2 weeks with my wife and 2 young kids. We are leaning towards Maui and Kauai. Probably spending a week at each. We are into outdoor activities, hiking, beaches, fishing etc. I know people have a bunch of opinions about each island. We’d prefer to avoid the bigger city vibe.

We are also trying to decide between Airbnb and hotels. Leaning towards renting a house and car.

Recommendations on specific parts of each island?
Has anyone been fishing there? Looking to fly fish while there.
Restaurants?
Activities?

Any info is appreciated.

Watch pic just because!

[IMGhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220717/419621cc637cca8c11940d17cd5ac5e8.jpg[/IMG]

I’ve been to Hawaii many times, though not in the last 14 years since changing coasts. Kauai is my favorite island. Lots of great hiking there. Maui was not my favorite island, but still lots to do. It always struck mt as golfers paradise, and I don’t golf. A dawn bike ride down Haleakalā is worth the effort if you can do it wi with your kids. You can also hike on the mountain, and the valley. There is an interesting flower that I think only grows on that mountain. I’m sure you can get fishing trips out of anywhere.
It really is a paradise and is a possible retirement location.
Have a great trip!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2022, 02:23 PM   #17
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Officially booked my trip. We are doing 8 days in Maui and 6 days in kauai! 2 resorts and one Airbnb.

Now I just have to decide which watch to take with me

Thanks for all the advice.

126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Old 5 September 2022, 02:54 PM   #18
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Where will you be staying in Kauai?
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2022, 11:00 PM   #19
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
We spent six days in Oahu and six on TBI. We had a great time! On Oahu, we stayed at Turtle Bay, which is a very nice resort on the north end. It's very quiet and beautiful and nothing like the hubbub of Waikiki. It was the resort in the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." They provide snorkels including prescription ones, bikes, etc. Fantastic place and experience, but a drive to Waikiki or Diamond Head or the USS Missouri/Arizona, all of which are well worth doing.
Old 5 September 2022, 11:20 PM   #20
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad22 View Post
Officially booked my trip. We are doing 8 days in Maui and 6 days in kauai! 2 resorts and one Airbnb.

Now I just have to decide which watch to take with me

Thanks for all the advice.

When and where?

North shore of Kauai can be rough surf for kids in winter months as I recall.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2022, 11:24 PM   #21
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Kauai is our favorite. Maui is nice as well but for us there is no place like Kauai.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2022, 11:53 PM   #22
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Kauai. It's our favorite place on the planet. Waimea Canyon, Na Pali Coast, Fern Grotto, and incredible beaches. I spent years working downrange on Johnston Island and Kwajalein, and always managed to squeeze in a trip to The Garden Isle during layovers in Hawaii. Maui is nice, but Kauai is spectacular.

Take a helicopter tour; if you don't, it's like going to the Sistine Chapel and not looking up.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2022, 02:15 AM   #23
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

There are 2 main "sides' to both Maui and Kauai. Which side you choose can be affected differently by weather.

Kauai is far quieter and more laid back and Maui has probably more to do.

I've been to Maui about 40 times and Kauai maybe 15 times.

Maui has the Wailea side and the Kaanapali/Lahaina side and they're somewhat different. Both sides don't get much rain but past the Kaanapali side is Kapalua area and that can get more rain.

Kauai has the Princeville/Hanalei Bay side and the Poipu side. The Princeville side generally gets more rain than the Poipu side.

Everywhere on these islands there are tons of stuff to do and easy ways to get there if you rent a car. And there are great hotels on sides of all of these islands.

One little secret about food in Hawaii. You can spend a lot of money in high price restaurants which is fine if you have a lot of money but the secret is that basically EVERY restaurant gets it fish fresh every morning. So what you're paying for in a lot of cases is what is on the plate besides the fish. We go twice a year and eat out a great restaurant once each trip and lesser places most of the time, although we cook in, more than half the time. Mamas Fish House in Maui is great and The Beach House in Kauai is pretty good as well.

Our favorite activity on Hawaii, and we've been to every island and done everything you can think of. We get up every morning just before sunrise and go for a walk along the beach or near the beach for maybe 2-4 miles as the sun is coming up. Both Kaanapali and Wailea have beach walks that are incredible. In Kauai Poipu we walk down to the Hyatt and back to the Sheraton area.

The other thing in Hawaii is sunsets. Having a drink and watching the sun go down. Magic.

Whenever we are sitting home pining for Hawaii we aren't thinking, restaurants, helicopters, zip lines or whale watching or commercial stuff, we are remembering the magical time every morning we walked the beach as the sun was coming up.

And one thing about Hawaii that I've never felt anywhere else in the world is the air. Don't know if it the ions or what it is but the word magic springs up a lot in describing Hawaii.
Old 6 September 2022, 04:12 AM   #24
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Hawaii is nice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 01:44 PM   #25
JParm

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Hawaii is nice.
This.

Truly cannot go wrong with any island choice.
Old 7 September 2022, 05:04 PM   #26
Hankman
"TRF" Member

Both islands are wonderful as many have said. The one thing about Hawaii (Just came back last week) is make your car rental reservation NOW, it might already be too late. Nice restaurants as well book in advance. On Kauai, don't forget to try the Kalua pork. Just Google the best places, too many to list. If you are in Poipu, and want to sip the best Maitai while watching the sunset, you can't go wrong with the Beach House (just look at their website).Speaking of Maitai's if you like rum the Kōloa Rum Company Store & Tasting Room is worthy of a visit. The whole island is magical. If on Maui, Lahaina is so much fun to stroll around looking at art galleries, chic boutiques, and tasty places. Many others have already filled in many great suggestions. Just my 2 cents. At least you don't have to worry about getting jacked for your watch, enjoy!
Hankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 05:45 PM   #27
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Aulani
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 10:03 AM   #28
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I had a blast on both islands. Ended up spending first 5 days in an Airbnb in west maui followed by 6 days in kauai in Kaloa landing then last 3 nights back in west Maui.

126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Old 7 November 2022, 10:53 AM   #29
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
We’ve done Maui twice with our kids twice. Each trip was 11 nights and we stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea. We picked there since the rooms are all suites and had a separate room where the kids slept and the bathroom was very spacious.
+1 for the Fairmont - A really great property.
Avs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2022, 03:45 PM   #30
NorCalKid
"TRF" Member

Maui, Kihei area.

Mamas fish house is the place to take the wife for a special occasion. Though it's not in Kihei

Snorkeling at the fish bowel then lunch at Makena landing is a nice day.

Whale season is Jan-March

5 Palms was nice informal ocean front dining and not expensive (though I heard it was changing ownership)

A drive up to the Iao Valley is a nice couple hours.

There's the Road to Hana
NorCalKid is offline   Reply With Quote