The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 13 March 2024, 08:12 AM   #31
oo7ml
2024 Pledge Member

I play the dealership game with limited edition cars, because I want to order a car in my preferred spec, as I tend to hold onto them… however, with a watch, and in particular a Jumbo, there is only limited variations AND life is too short to wait 2-3 years for an AD… and that’s if they turn up.
oo7ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 02:16 PM   #32
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Go for the grey market. I wish I had posted a similar question back then.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 04:23 PM   #33
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
My first AP was a 15202ST which I bought in 2018 from AP London. I had to wait about a year, but I had no previous purchase history. I know this is clearly pre-hype, but there’s always a chance!
What was the price back then?
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 05:46 AM   #34
Jon B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
What was the price back then?
I seem to remember the watch was about £18,500. I’d enquired at a few AD’s and was told the only way to get a jumbo was through AP UK directly, so I phoned them, told them how much I loved the watch and they said they would add me to the list. About a year later I got the call!
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:28 PM   #35
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
My first AP was a 15202ST which I bought in 2018 from AP London. I had to wait about a year, but I had no previous purchase history. I know this is clearly pre-hype, but there’s always a chance!
To be fair before the craziness you could also get a Nautilus at a discount. Don’t believe anyone sees that happening in the foreseeable future. All this to say never say never and hey, I still play the lottery because there’s a chance I may hit one day
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:34 PM   #36
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
To be fair before the craziness you could also get a Nautilus at a discount. Don’t believe anyone sees that happening in the foreseeable future. All this to say never say never and hey, I still play the lottery because there’s a chance I may hit one day
Got my 5167a for 20% off, was sitting in the case at the local AD. Was offered 5980a and 5990a for 30% off, my wife said meh.....15407 rose in the display window, went to check it out multiple times before it finally sold.....those were the days
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 09:03 AM   #37
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Got my 5167a for 20% off, was sitting in the case at the local AD. Was offered 5980a and 5990a for 30% off, my wife said meh.....15407 rose in the display window, went to check it out multiple times before it finally sold.....those were the days
What year was that ?
Old 17 March 2024, 09:33 AM   #38
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
What year was that ?
Around 2016. The 15407 was just before the hype exploded. When I showed my wife a grey dealer selling one for 350k she was like um maybe we should have gotten it.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2024, 09:41 AM   #39
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
I walked into Wempe on 5th Avenue in NYC in 2014 or 2015 and said I was interested in a Nautilus. They brought out at least 12, all in different metals, bracelet or leather strap, and all available for sale that I could have walked out of the store with that day. The watch didn’t do it for me then and still doesn’t do it for me now but just shows you the state of the watch world, granted 10 years ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TopherMins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 01:27 AM   #40
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post
I walked into Wempe on 5th Avenue in NYC in 2014 or 2015 and said I was interested in a Nautilus. They brought out at least 12, all in different metals, bracelet or leather strap, and all available for sale that I could have walked out of the store with that day. The watch didn’t do it for me then and still doesn’t do it for me now but just shows you the state of the watch world, granted 10 years ago now.

What has this got to do with the 16202 RO?

I got mine last Christmas after years of waiting. The process as a whole was not smooth but picking it up was nice and felt special so they nailed it.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 03:26 AM   #41
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
What has this got to do with the 16202 RO?

I got mine last Christmas after years of waiting. The process as a whole was not smooth but picking it up was nice and felt special so they nailed it.

If you read above people were talking about how they got Pateks at a discount back in the day. And could have bought an openworked and walked out of the boutique the same day. I bought a 15202OR from an AD in 2017, walked out of boutique with it same day.

Old 22 March 2024, 04:12 AM   #42
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

State of the watch world in the US. Across the pond demand was a lot higher. I walked into the local Wempe and Bucherer in 2015 to get a steel 5711 blue. Both recommended to try elsewhere as they had long wait lists already. Even before I have never seen a steel 5711/12 blue in any shop window over here.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 04:39 AM   #43
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
No prior AP purchase history. I've visited the boutiques and tried on lots of options but I only like the 16202 ultra thin.

How tough would it be for me to get one of these new from a UK AD/Boutique? I am happy with steel or rose gold. What would be the best advice for me to make it happen? I don't see myself buying the Code 11:59.

Forgive the naive question, but I hear things are opening up a bit to new customers in holy trinity brands and Rolex.
Here in the UK, not a hope I'm afraid. And that's certainly true for the 16202ST, never mind a precious metal reference Jumbo.

But here AP do not favour trade at all so there is zero requirement to buy anything you don't want to get something you do.

I'd recommend reaching out to the team at APH London and making an appointment for a chat with them. It's the best place to start and they will be fair and open with you on what is, or is not, possible.

All the best
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 05:41 AM   #44
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
State of the watch world in the US. Across the pond demand was a lot higher. I walked into the local Wempe and Bucherer in 2015 to get a steel 5711 blue. Both recommended to try elsewhere as they had long wait lists already. Even before I have never seen a steel 5711/12 blue in any shop window over here.
Wempe in Frankfurt had one in the window. Told me it would be a year if I wanted to get one (around 2015 or so).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 06:48 AM   #45
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Wempe in Frankfurt had one in the window. Told me it would be a year if I wanted to get one (around 2015 or so).
So I should have tried Frankfurt exactly when you were there but by then I had long left Frankfurt for good... No luck in Munich in fall 2015 whereas the AD in my hometown was more accommodating but said it would be around 3 years which it was.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 02:37 AM   #46
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you read above people were talking about how they got Pateks at a discount back in the day. And could have bought an openworked and walked out of the boutique the same day. I bought a 15202OR from an AD in 2017, walked out of boutique with it same day.

Well that was then and now is now. I too got a much of Daytonas and a Nautilus then, but probably is not relevant to a guy who asks about a 16202 in 2024..?
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 02:42 AM   #47
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyTuomas View Post
Well that was then and now is now. I too got a much of Daytonas and a Nautilus then, but probably is not relevant to a guy who asks about a 16202 in 2024..?

Lol ok I’ll keep all my watch stories to myself going forward.

Old 24 March 2024, 09:15 AM   #48
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post

How funny! I got a 5712 from Wempe Munich in 2013, straight from the window. And tax free!

They've been an amazing dealer since then.

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 09:49 AM   #49
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

let me list for you the requirement from my boutique to get the blue jumbo

1- Royal Oak 37mm
2- Royal Oak 41m
3- Royal Oak Chronograph
4- Royal Oak Offshore Diver
5- Royal Oak Offshore Chronograph
6- Royal Oak Ladies 34mm
7- at least one Code 11:59

Now you start having a chance and they will take you seriously .
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote