The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

View Poll Results: How do you like pens that you use...........
Basically a plastic pen the works is all I want 6 22.22%
A quality fountain pen with one or two jewels or precious metal trimmings on a plastic or resin pen 15 55.56%
I prefer a pen with jewels, gold, silver or platinum that makes a statement 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 November 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Are bling pens the same as blinged watches?

Many of the limited edition pens one sees today have precious metals and stones adorning the entire pen.

In some ways this seems to be analogous to the way some watches are also adorned by precious metals and jewels.

For me I don't mind say 1 or two jewels on a pen, that's O.K. However, I don't really like precious metals on a pen. I remember paying $3,000 for a Montblanc Louis that was made of sterling sliver with an 18k gold vermeil (a form of plating).

The pen looked fantastic, but it just was a little impractical for me. It was very heavy in the hand and just didn't feel comfortable. Kind of like having a Submariner to go diving in 18k and encrusting the case with diamonds.

I much prefer predominently resin, celluloid or plastic pens, they just seem to be more comfortable and dare I say 'practical', not to mention avoiding the risk associated with the carrying around of a gold and diamond pen

My favorite (and I'm still yet to experience many worthy pens) is undoubtably the Montblanc 149, a true writer's pen made from predominently a resin plastic with just a few small gold trimmings. This is like a SS Submariner or GMT. Just a no-nonsense workhorse with quality to boot.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
the OP and 7 votes?? Come on folks !!! I enjoy fountain but, do to how much I do write I have found the fountain tends to dry up on me... kinda like a battery dieing ya know, and I hate it so there is lays in a obscure drawer somewhere with all the other kicked to the curb items. It's kinda like battery operated watch, useless when empty or dead battery.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 11:35 PM   #3
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I have always loved the look of yellow gold. I like to wear it, but don't want to look like Mr. T!

One of the ways I can wear gold is via my pen hardware. The pen barrel can be resin, but I want at least the hardware to be yellow gold.
Old 24 November 2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
I prefer functional, understated and beautiful for both pens and watches. More is not always better.
Old 24 November 2009, 02:05 AM   #5
shandy
Banned

I voted the second option Steve. For me first and foremost the pen has so be practical in writing. I write for very long periods of time and have found that heavy pens soon tire my hands.

So all metal pens are out for me and I can't begin to imagine a be-jewelled gold pen in my hands. I am sure it would look amazing but very impractical.

I do love some of the MB limited's and know one day and Agatha will be mine, I think that has the perfect combination of jewel and silver.

I do have a limited edition Montegrappa on the way that has stirling silver section and trims but this is balanced out by the fact the body is celluloid. Balance is all with pens and their effect on writing I think.

I think the most important thing to be gold is the nib for the rest I can put up with plating, heck my 83 year old Parker's gold plating is still showing the test of time!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I believe you shoud buy and use what's comfortable for your style. Life is about choices and what works for one may not work for the next person. So find what works and above all else be happy!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2009, 02:13 AM   #7
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
There needs to be more otions to choose from in this poll.

I don't use any old plastic pen unless I'm at the grocery store signing for my purchase but at the same time I'm not a fan of jeweled pens or fountain pens.

I always have my Mont Blanc Meisterstück Solitaire Stainless Steel II Rollerball in my coat pocket and a Montblanc Meisterstuck Classique Ballpoint in my briefcase. These are both nice yet subtle.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Timepieces and Writing Instruments are equals in my estimation.

Post em!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Timepieces and Writing Instruments are equals in my estimation.

Post em!!!
X2
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Bling in pens works for me, probably based on my childhood experiences. I attended a party, won a game and the prize was a very fancy pen covered with stones on the top (not real of course). I treasured that pen, not just because of all the bling, but the real piece de resistance was that it contained perfumed ink. Fabulous! Perhaps women might prefer these types of pens since they are almost like owning a piece of jewelry.