The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 January 2019, 11:28 PM   #121
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
This watch creates an opportunity for some virtue signaling beginning with the bezel font, complication is of no use and then the cries of how ugly it is. It's the whipping boy of the current Rolex line-up and is used so people can pretend they're rugged divers, pilots and race car drivers who have dire needs for the functionality of the watch while contending that there is not the slightest "hey, look what I got," factor in owning a Rolex. It goes from there. People in denial will argue this obvious point and the YM II has gained more support since I first owned the TT version in 2015. People flipped out when six digit references were first released and have since gone quiet. I have big wrists, long arms, big hands and I suppose that helps but liking the watch is all that matter and personally, I like it.
Great post. I wonder how many people don’t like it, just because other people don’t need like it? Seems to be a lot of following the herd that goes on in watch collecting.
I have never owned one but like it very much. I also still like and wear my Panerai collection. Until others start paying for my watches, I will buy what I like!
Old 1 January 2019, 11:30 PM   #122
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

It’s an interesting watch! I personally like it (though not my absolute favorite) however I have to admit the lack of love towards that model makes me not interested in acquiring one!
Old 1 January 2019, 11:31 PM   #123
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
The big “YACHT-MASTER II” on the bezel?

That, lack of a date and a fairly useless complication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:52 PM   #124
drgoro
"TRF" Member

It’s really silly when people make the argument of the function being useless, etc when as pointed out earlier; I would bet very few buy a Rolex for the utility of a complication. If that were the case we’d all either be diving in the ocean or ripping around tracks. More to the point, prove your base opinion and just add a 3 hand Cellini to the collection. One of the reasons I held off on my 116688 as long as I did was due to threads just like this (a shame really), and until I actually held the piece in my hand, I would have tended to agree. IMO Beautiful watch, needs a confident wearer and the most bad ass one Rolex makes at that. Happy New Years guys.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 11:59 PM   #125
blackhawks-fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Dial 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
You like it and want one but aren’t getting it because you think it’s unpopular?

If i’m in a position to buy something I want, I’ll generally not ask for other people feelings and thoughts on it....
It’s for you, no one else, get it
asiparks,

Why is "Eagles" spelled wrong in your signature block?
blackhawks-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 12:05 AM   #126
sameer222
"TRF" Member

Watch: PatekRolexAPLange
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
I own a YG YM2. It screams "F-U" (watch) to everyone. It's obnoxious, 44mm (Big) and just right in your face with a blue bezel. What's not to like? Not many people feel comfortable wearing it...I love it, when people stare. It's as said above, an acquired taste.
I don't own one but know a few people who do and see it up close fairly often. Have to agree with this statement - it's not for everyone but for those who can pull it off and enjoy a bit of attention then it doesn't get better
sameer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 12:05 AM   #127
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I like the YM-II.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 01:13 AM   #128
RolexFan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM2 116680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
It’s an interesting watch! I personally like it (though not my absolute favorite) however I have to admit the lack of love towards that model makes me not interested in acquiring one!
Thats the only reason holding me back... it should affect me... but always thing why do the so many watch enthusiasts dont like it...
RolexFan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #129
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamorai View Post
The big “YACHT-MASTER II” on the bezel?
For me too
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 02:23 AM   #130
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Two things I don't like about the YM II the size,, its just too big for me and the YACHTMASTER printed out on the bezel. It just looks..I don't know, cheap... Sorry if I offended, you asked
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 02:47 AM   #131
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexYouTube View Post
a lot of people on the internet say it is ugly, people wouldn't say this to your face if you had it on your wrist (they might say it's not for them or it's too big but would never tell you it's disgusting or unbelievable ugly etc)

the same way I'm not a fan of the Bugatti Veyron I wouldn't tell someone that is driving it that the car is ugly. if he wanted to give 2 million plus dollars on it and he likes it it's none of my business to talk bad about his purchase. but that's just me

I think if you have a big wrist and the money to spend the YMII is a fantastic watch, I currently own one but in gold.

check out this video review I made of it if you have a few minutes it just might help you purchase it
Nice review, never understood the way it worked. Awesome engineering and a very beautiful watch with its protruding end links. In YG an absolute stunner
Old 2 January 2019, 02:48 AM   #132
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
you are not timing if you need to know when something ends before you begin.

If im timing my run i can see that it took me 7 minutes to run a mile. If im using a countdown then i need to know its going to take me 7 minutes before i start so i finish at zero.
Most serious runners would use a countdown more than a count up function.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 03:08 AM   #133
emtee
"TRF" Member

Because it’s big and obnoxious basically
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 03:38 AM   #134
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Even my egg timer has a bell !!!

The YM II is an attractive watch. I wouldn’t buy one, because I don’t have a boat. Then again, I have a deep sea and don’t dive.
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 03:41 AM   #135
Brew
"TRF" Member

"Yacht-Master II" is somehow more obtrusive than, say, "Original Gas Escape Valve" AND "Ring Lock System"?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 04:24 AM   #136
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I was in the military in an Operations Center with worldwide reach. Used a GMT during that time. After that a Submariner (Tudor) for durability in the woods.

My watches serve a purpose. I don't own a yacht and do not sail. So, no need for a referenced watch.
Old 2 January 2019, 04:33 AM   #137
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I really like the YMII for the reason I think that it has never been truly 'popular' and that is because it IS so different from the rest of the professional line and doesn't bear the similarities that most other references do - besides the Oyster bracelet.

And when the majority of Rolex buyers to into an AD etc to buy ONE watch -- their $$ can go a lot further with MANY other stainless steel references.

Just my .02

It is however a great reference.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 05:03 AM   #138
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I thought about it more and I did attend the America’s Cup event that Rolex put on at the St. Francis Yacht Club in SF. I now feel qualified for the title yacht master.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 05:08 AM   #139
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I really like the YMII for the reason I think that it has never been truly 'popular' and that is because it IS so different from the rest of the professional line and doesn't bear the similarities that most other references do - besides the Oyster bracelet.
That's why I love my YMII. It is very different than the rest.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 05:09 AM   #140
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexYouTube View Post
That's why I love my YMII. It is very different than the rest.

Absolutely!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 07:00 AM   #141
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
To add to my previous post, I would not have bought the YM II in any other variant thn the WG. I find the colorful dial too garish for my tastes. Otherwise, in wg, its a masterpiece and I love its size and wrist presence. Also, its under the rolex radar, since few are seen (in wg).
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 09:11 AM   #142
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I like the watch's colors and size. While I would get one if I wanted, there are other models I prefer which is why I don't have one.
It's your $, get what you want.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 09:16 AM   #143
stefanweei
"TRF" Member

Because it's fugly? ;)
stefanweei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 09:35 AM   #144
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

it is ugly thats why
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 10:53 AM   #145
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
People saying get it if you like it regardless of general dislike aren't taking into consideration the difficulty of shifting one. They're not very liquid as a result so fewer want to be stuck with one.
The yellow gold one is outrageous but probably easiest to sell. People in the market for one want outrageous but a lot of them are probably difficult to deal with, even quite unsavoury, nasty pieces of work. It's a nasty piece of work's watch. There I said it.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 11:06 AM   #146
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

I got my watch to keep. I don't plan on selling it ever. (the only reason I sold my YM was to upgrade to the YMII... so unless they make a YMIII I'll be keeping my watch)

RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 11:09 AM   #147
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Everyone says that. Maybe so but it's a factor in the lack of appeal.. Which is down to the lack of appeal. I'm not bagging on it (and I would), the size is my main gripe.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 11:27 AM   #148
T4ME
"TRF" Member

YM II two tone
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 12:12 PM   #149
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I just think the yacht master name in general is horrible. It sounds pretentious and you’re already wearing a Rolex so that’s two strikes lol

To make matters worse it’s in big letters on the bezel and the regatta timer has to be one of the most useless complications for average Joe.
Old 2 January 2019, 12:26 PM   #150
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
It hasn't been on my radar to date, I actually tried one on 10 years ago when i was picking up my Milgauss. It's loud, Big and weighty. you don't see enough of them in the wild (where I hang anyway). I like it.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote